PDA

View Full Version : wanted Hovland Saphire power amp

falcoron
24-09-2012, 21:14
Not sure of my budget as im selling some gear but anyone got one or know of one please let me know.
need to get a mate for my Hovland HP100 pre, ;)

Spectral Morn
25-09-2012, 19:08
Back in August Retro Reproductions in Edinburgh had one for sale.

http://retroreproduction.co.uk/

John
26-09-2012, 04:58
Hi Ron
No offence but if using the Hovland with Bastanis drivers the Hovland is going to be overkill. Those drivers need lower powered amps due to high sensitivty

falcoron
26-09-2012, 06:32
Thanks John,
no luck anyway and those on canada are near the retail so not interested.
Think im gonna go for 8w or 9W audio notes ive seen in Europe.

Thanks Neil,
Called and mailed but no answer, cant be annoyed chasing if a dealer cant be arsed to be honest. :)
Got the new berhinger inuke amp in and its quiet and the set up was simple given all i had to do was copy and paste the settings that Vic at Transcription had for them works a treat to with integration between the drivers seemless and the bass set correct its a big big improvment.

The Hovland pre is too big for my rack so a jiggle to do there before i can try but from the reviews and owners thoughts on these it should be a bit special, we shall see.

John
26-09-2012, 06:38
Also consider what Clive is using as a main amp. I know he rates it very high

Spectral Morn
26-09-2012, 08:33
Thanks John,
no luck anyway and those on canada are near the retail so not interested.
Think im gonna go for 8w or 9W audio notes ive seen in Europe.

Thanks Neil,
Called and mailed but no answer, cant be annoyed chasing if a dealer cant be arsed to be honest. :)
Got the new berhinger inuke amp in and its quiet and the set up was simple given all i had to do was copy and paste the settings that Vic at Transcription had for them works a treat to with integration between the drivers seemless and the bass set correct its a big big improvment.

The Hovland pre is too big for my rack so a jiggle to do there before i can try but from the reviews and owners thoughts on these it should be a bit special, we shall see.

Ron

Graham runs a shop not a 24 hour answer service so he will no doubt contact you during shop hours i.e from 10 today.

Clive
26-09-2012, 08:53
As John says I rate the Valvet E1r 10W SE class A monoblocks with the Bastanis widebands. I'm currently putting the finishing touches to my review for enjoythemusic. These amps will be staying in my system so it's turned out to be an expensive review!

The site still shows the older E1 but the amps look the same (much better than the pics....). Price is 1,700 Euros from Germany.

http://www.valvet.de/bricks_E1gb.html

falcoron
26-09-2012, 09:17
Ron

Graham runs a shop not a 24 hour answer service so he will no doubt contact you during shop hours i.e from 10 today.

Never said he did Neil but ive been mailing for 4 days :doh:

falcoron
26-09-2012, 09:24
As John says I rate the Valvet E1r 10W SE class A monoblocks with the Bastanis widebands. I'm currently putting the finishing touches to my review for enjoythemusic. These amps will be staying in my system so it's turned out to be an expensive review!

The site still shows the older E1 but the amps look the same (much better than the pics....). Price is 1,700 Euros from Germany.

http://www.valvet.de/bricks_E1gb.html

Thanks for the link but im valves mate valves all the way and want to stay there.
May look at Art audio or audio note ( which i have a soft spot for) but then again i may well stick with the Hyperion HT88 SE amps i have which i do love but i like to evolve and push on and hear differnt things. Will see how that goes
thanks again

Clive
26-09-2012, 09:52
Thanks for the link but im valves mate valves all the way and want to stay there.
May look at Art audio or audio note ( which i have a soft spot for) but then again i may well stick with the Hyperion HT88 SE amps i have which i do love but i like to evolve and push on and hear differnt things. Will see how that goes
thanks again
I can understand your view on valves. All I'll say is that I've used 45, 2A3, 300B, EL34 and KT88 SE and PP valve amps over the last 15 years or so and now look at what I'm using....

falcoron
26-09-2012, 12:18
I can understand your view on valves. All I'll say is that I've used 45, 2A3, 300B, EL34 and KT88 SE and PP valve amps over the last 15 years or so and now look at what I'm using....

I know mate but ive done so much non valve stuff in the past and never got the love ;)

John
26-09-2012, 12:36
Different drivers have different responses and it not about if it a valve or SS its about what works with the drivers
But the Audio note should sound pretty good

Clive
26-09-2012, 12:44
Ron,

I have a problem with certain types of SS amps, I can hear their signature a mile off but the amps I'm talking about are class A and single-ended, with short signal paths. I've got the love from these more so that any of my valve amps and believe it when I say that's quite an admission from me! I still use a valve phono stage BTW.

Enjoy whichever amp you set your heart on.

Spectral Morn
26-09-2012, 13:56
Never said he did Neil but ive been mailing for 4 days :doh:

Ahhh I thought I was giving you fresh info Ron, I was unaware that you already knew he had a Hovland amplifier and had contacted him before I had given you my info.

Agreed waiting 4 days for a reply is very poor. I know Graham quite well and he is a really nice guy. I would ring again and give him one more chance.

falcoron
26-09-2012, 15:23
Ahhh I thought I was giving you fresh info Ron, I was unaware that you already knew he had a Hovland amplifier and had contacted him before I had given you my info.

Agreed waiting 4 days for a reply is very poor. I know Graham quite well and he is a really nice guy. I would ring again and give him one more chance.

no worries Neil,
Think the saphire would be too much for the ob's so looking toward an ART stereo power amp, " i used to be so indecicive but im not so sure now" :eyebrows:

Spectral Morn
26-09-2012, 15:25
no worries Neil,
Think the saphire would be too much for the ob's so looking toward an ART stereo power amp, " i used to be so indecicive but im not so sure now" :eyebrows:

Lol

falcoron
26-09-2012, 16:05
Lol

Phoned and got through although Graham was not in just an assistant who didnt really know much. But the Hovland is there but out of my range.

Its all good fun though!

got a great insurance settlement on the damaged LV's and have sold them. So i had a bit of cash burning the proverbial hole don't ya know. ;)

falcoron
28-09-2012, 13:07

Must admit you have me very interested, but i still have a hankering for 300b amp or amps. You used to have a ladyday i think, saw Vic;s and they look super but he now uses t maps and has not missed the LD's :scratch:

The LD's are an amp i would always have loved to hear, nearly pulled the trigger on a pair a few times, they have a nice build and exotic components but im gonna have a good look at the Valvets, have you a link to your review? Also see the E1r is now 25 watts and not 10 as before.
Ron

John
28-09-2012, 15:41
Clive amp will eat the Ladyday
Vic used to use them and does not miss them and I never thought I would say that

Clive
28-09-2012, 16:05
Hi Ron,

PM me your email address, I'll share some more info on the E1r, which are still 10W, there's another amp at 25W, the website isn't up to date.

Do you get over to Manchester ever? I'm near the airport and have LD91, the Tamp Vic uses and the E1r.

falcoron
29-09-2012, 10:17
Clive amp will eat the Ladyday
Vic used to use them and does not miss them and I never thought I would say that

have heard t amps in various guises and was never impressed left me wondering WTF? :scratch:
Not hi fi and never will be in my book.

The LD amp in lux or sig form gets wonderful write ups, bettering some highly regarded Border patrol et al amps so cant be bad, get a huge following all over the world and some very exotic components inside too.

falcoron
29-09-2012, 10:18
Hi Ron,

PM me your email address, I'll share some more info on the E1r, which are still 10W, there's another amp at 25W, the website isn't up to date.

Do you get over to Manchester ever? I'm near the airport and have LD91, the Tamp Vic uses and the E1r.

PM sent Clive
Thanks

John
29-09-2012, 13:22
Vic owned the Ladyday and I heard his self made amp against it but Clive amp with the Bastanis are supposed to be even better both are really big valve guys like yourself so for them to make such a radical change then its worth investigating
I very happy with my Slagle Tamp but they probarly suit my speakers better
Think hearing Clive system is the solution