PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a young designer

ben-blackwood-designs
24-09-2012, 17:24
My name is Ben and I am an 18-year-old designer and craftsman who is about to launch my own hifi related business. I work in solid oak and have made a range of prototype hifi racks. Initially I will be making units for half-sized hifi such as Cyrus and Bel Canto. I realise that this will limit my market but I have to walk before I can run. Eventually I will be making units for all types of systems and will be making one off units on a commission basis.
My main product is a stacking rack that has a contemporary look and works really well. I have also made prototypes of wall mounted CD racks, free standing CD storage and Im working on a wall-mounted turntable platform at the moment.
I only use the very best grade of oak and my products are constructed to the highest standards.
My hifi knowledge is not that good so I rely on my dad who has been interested in music and stereo systems for about 40 years. I am keen to learn more which is why I have joined the forum
I am interested in any pointers that could help me launch my business. My web site is under construction at the moment. I'd like to post a link when its live. Until then I'll post some pictures of my prototype designs and some of my launch products. Please let me know what you think.

Many thanks,

Ben Blackwood

Audio Al
24-09-2012, 17:28
Hello Ben

Welcome to the forum

I wish you success with your project and look forward to seeing the photos of your work

:)

julesd68
24-09-2012, 17:37
Welcome Ben,

Look forward to seeing the stacking rack!

Good luck with it all.

oscarsaudio
24-09-2012, 17:55
welcome , look forward to seeing some of your work

ben-blackwood-designs
24-09-2012, 17:57
Hi ,

thanks for the warm welcome.

julian, heres some images of the stacking rack

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327/jamie501/stacker5cd_zpsd52db8f0.jpg

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327/jamie501/stackerangle2_zps18438fb1.jpg

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327/jamie501/stackerangleside1_zpsf399facd.jpg

any feedback is much appreciated

sq225917
24-09-2012, 18:12
That's tidy looking stuff Ben, best of luck with the new business.

synsei
24-09-2012, 18:16
That's a smart looking rack Ben, looking forward to seeing your full sized model ;)

ben-blackwood-designs
24-09-2012, 18:18
thanks simon, much appreciated

ben-blackwood-designs
24-09-2012, 18:23
That's a smart looking rack Ben, looking forward to seeing your full sized model ;)

Hi, I havent made any full sized models however I can make one a.s.a.p to youre desired specification if anyone is interested .

Ben

Marco
24-09-2012, 18:23
Hi Ben,

Welcome to AoS. Good to see you here, mate! :)

Your stuff looks superb - always nice to see the use of natural solid wood, which never fails to look classy. We'll chat about that turntable wall-shelf, once I get some measurements together ;)

Feel free to use the trade area (Trade Inspirations) to advertise your designs and new projects, and we wish you every success with your new venture.

As an aside, what music are you into?

Marco.

Audio Al
24-09-2012, 18:40
One question

Is there going to be enough room for the cabling at the rear ?

ben-blackwood-designs
24-09-2012, 18:46
Hi Ben,

Welcome to AoS. Good to see you here, mate! :)

Your stuff looks superb - always nice to see the use of natural solid wood, which never fails to look classy. We'll chat about that turntable wall-shelf, once I get some measurements together ;)

Feel free to use the trade area (Trade Inspirations) to advertise your designs and new projects, and we wish you every success with your new venture.

As an aside, what music are you into?

Marco.

Hi Marco,

thanks for the welcome and allowing me access to your forum.

Yes, when youve got some measurements just give me a shout and we can talk over some design ideas.

Im new to forums so just getting my bearings but yes i'll check the trade area and keep everyone updated with designs, offers and future projects

as for music, due to being in the workshop throughout the day I end up listening to a lot of radio, so I listen to a variety of genres.
I end up listening to loads of stuff in the house as my dad listens to music in his listening room every night and has it soo loud you cant help but hear it.
my brother is a guitarist so plays loads of stuff from acoustic to rock..and then theres my mam who listens to a load of rubbish haha

ben-blackwood-designs
24-09-2012, 18:55
One question

Is there going to be enough room for the cabling at the rear ?
hi,

yes, Ive tested my units with a wide variety of cables and everything ive tried has fitted perfectly with ample room.

heres an image from the back to show you the space for cabling to feed through.

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327/jamie501/stackerback_zps4c5e67b6.jpg

ben

julesd68
24-09-2012, 19:00
That rack is very much my cup of tea - reminds me of a Conran design I know. And, would look great with the rest of my oak furniture. :eyebrows:

I'd need a 5 shelf full-size one. Sadly I don't have the funds for this right now, but I will be sure to be in touch when I do ... :)

The Vinyl Adventure
24-09-2012, 19:06
very smart!