PDA

View Full Version : National Audio Show ( My few words ) and PHOTOS

Audio Al
22-09-2012, 21:03
I went to the show today , 100 miles each way , I can say Yes I enjoyed the day , Arrived at 11.00am after the crush , Was a bit intimidated when pulling into the car park , lots of new expensive vehicles :eyebrows: and then I arrive in the " Fiat Panda :) "

Quite a walk as I was in one of the field car parks down by the lake , but it was sunny so a nice walk

When inside all the stall holders were friendly and welcoming

Found it slightly confusing going round the building as it has several squares that you walk around , I kept finding my way back where I started from :lol:

Went in lots of the listening rooms and had some interesting discussions

Have taken some Hi Fi P-rn photos on this link ( if it works )

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/2012%20National%20Audio%20Show/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ36

Came out at 10 to 6 PM with lots of shopping :doh::D:D

Will do a shopping post tomorrow :eyebrows:

oscarsaudio
22-09-2012, 21:16
Nice pictures

Macca
22-09-2012, 21:25
Great pictures Al - I really enjoyed them. Liked the shots of the price tags too :) What is that gear with the red LED displays? CD player and a turntable. I love red LED displays :)

Marco
22-09-2012, 21:40
Hi Al,

Glad you enjoyed the show. It's a bit of a maze though, innit? :eyebrows:

Anyway, I noticed that you spied some quality tonearms there:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/2012%20National%20Audio%20Show/IMG_1886_zpsa7834c86.jpg

:exactly:

Marco.

Audio Al
22-09-2012, 21:57
Yep , certainly some nice kit

I have not said anything about the products I have seen and don't count myself qualified enough to do so :(

BUT off the record , well on the TT

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/2012%20National%20Audio%20Show/IMG_1934_zps9427e57f.jpg

a certain gent from Analogue Alchemy Played my copy of Yellow Flag - The Race ( acquired at the show :eyebrows: )

and it was, to my untrained ears absolutely outstanding these speakers, amazing
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/2012%20National%20Audio%20Show/IMG_1935_zps6c67461c.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/2012%20National%20Audio%20Show/IMG_1936_zps729d9582.jpg

Lovely kit but alas at £30K out of my budget :(

If I had the dosh I would have picked this TT amp pre amp cables etc

I was impressed :D

Audio Al
22-09-2012, 22:03
And the Gent demoing this TT said it would cost £40K and you would need to get in the queue :eek:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/2012%20National%20Audio%20Show/IMG_1909_zps49b4e7db.jpg

Audio Al
22-09-2012, 22:38
What is that gear with the red LED displays? CD player and a turntable. I love red LED displays

It's T&A Audio

www.highendspeaker.co.uk

Barry
22-09-2012, 23:40
Hi Al,

Glad you enjoyed the show. It's a bit of a maze though, innit? :eyebrows:

Anyway, I noticed that you spied some quality tonearms there:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/2012%20National%20Audio%20Show/IMG_1886_zpsa7834c86.jpg

:exactly:

Marco.

It's the 12" version - size matters! :eyebrows:

chris@panteg
22-09-2012, 23:56
And the Gent demoing this TT said it would cost £40K and you would need to get in the queue :eek:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/bigboobs/2012%20National%20Audio%20Show/IMG_1909_zps49b4e7db.jpg

Prometheus audio , fascinating listening to that and the said gent was also a violinist , did you hear him state ' there is a better violin than a strad ! Fantastic turntable .

sq225917
23-09-2012, 07:01
The Promethius gent also claimed he was the UK largest seller of classical records, was the first person to catalogue all the different versions of Decca sxl, hmv asd and all the other classical record varieties- which is funny because he claimed he only did this back in 1996- yet I have catalogues with all the printed label varieties of Decca and Columbia dating back to the mid eighties which had been available in the USA for years. I also believe that he used his right foot to launch the first astronaut into space. I wish I had recorded some of his wilder claims.

The recording engineer who shared the room with him was altogether a more interesting and truthful listen, he was very self effacing.

Marco
23-09-2012, 08:21
It's the 12" version - size matters! :eyebrows:

Lol... Same uber-high standards of engineering, though!

Marco.

Marco
23-09-2012, 08:24
The Promethius gent also claimed he was the UK largest seller of classical records, was the first person to catalogue all the different versions of Decca sxl, hmv asd and all the other classical record varieties- which is funny because he claimed he only did this back in 1996- yet I have catalogues with all the printed label varieties of Decca and Columbia dating back to the mid eighties which had been available in the USA for years. I also believe that he used his right foot to launch the first astronaut into space. I wish I had recorded some of his wilder claims.

The recording engineer who shared the room with him was altogether a more interesting and truthful listen, he was very self effacing.

Bollox to that pish... Let's get to the nitty-gritty: how did the £40k turntable sound, in comparison with your Kuzma? :D

Marco.

JimC
23-09-2012, 09:34
.............................absolutely outstanding these speakers, amazing....................

I sat and listened to Dark Side of the Moon 30th Anniversary Pressing on this set up. The turntables were very nice indeed but as with the OP, well out of my price range.
I know they're having to 'fight' against the rooms in shows such as this but I thought those speakers a tad Bass Heavey and uncontrolled especially during ''On The Run''.

My favourite sound of the show was the VTL kit as demonstrated by 'The Right Note' of Bath. The new VTL S-200 Amplifier with some Kawero Vivace Loudspeakers. Beautifull sound while playing some Jazz (which I didn't recognise and didn't get the opprtunity to ask what it was) and some Tchaikovsky.
Still out of my price range too!

The Audio Note room also sounded very nice albeit a very small room and very full!

Is it me or is it always a little disappointing getting home to your own kit for the first few hours, then you settle back and think ''....no, I do like the sound all my stuff makes...'' ?

A very enjoyable day (my first visit to this show), met some very nice people and listened to some very nice Hi-Fi. I shall go again next year me-thinks.

James.

sq225917
23-09-2012, 09:54
Marco, his deck sounded good, the room was less than optimum. There was nothing staggering about it though. Speed stability was merely good rather than exemplary. Without knowing the sound of the others parts in the set-up it's impossible to say what contributed exactly what to the sound.

Marco
23-09-2012, 10:07
Marco, his deck sounded good, the room was less than optimum. There was nothing staggering about it though.

Indeed, and *that* is my whole point: for £40k you ought to be, not only staggered, but utterly BLOWN away, with a capital B!! For that money, you should be sat there, gob-smacked, thinking: 'OMG, I've never heard a sound like it, from vinyl. This is mind-blowing!' "Good", I'm afraid, just doesn't cut it.

That is why I rarely go now to hi-fi shows, as the uber-expensive stuff never delivers, sonically, what it *should* for the crazy money being asked, and rarely, if ever, betters what I use myself at home. It's all bollocks. Therefore, I may as well save money and stay at home listening to better sounds ;)

I'm sure that many others feel the same.

TBH, the only things that tempt me to go to shows these days, other than Scalford (where REAL hi-fi systems are demonstrated) is meeting up with some of the lads here and having a few beers, as well as buying some vinyl. The pictures are fun to look at, though! :)

Marco.

sq225917
23-09-2012, 12:37
The vinyl selection was good. Scalford is just a better option all round.

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 12:38
Marco, his deck sounded good, the room was less than optimum. There was nothing staggering about it though. Speed stability was merely good rather than exemplary. Without knowing the sound of the others parts in the set-up it's impossible to say what contributed exactly what to the sound.

What did you think of the speakers ? I thought they sounded very restrained or a bit reticent , the system seemed tailored for the classical music enthusiast ? Which is ok of course if that's one's taste .

Stratmangler
23-09-2012, 12:51
Is it me or is it always a little disappointing getting home to your own kit for the first few hours

It's you.
I've only ever once got home and thought my system was broken after an audio show :)

Stratmangler
23-09-2012, 12:56
What did you think of the speakers ? I thought they sounded very restrained or a bit reticent , the system seemed tailored for the classical music enthusiast ? Which is ok of course if that's one's taste .

His system has been tailored for what?
Sorry Chris, I'm of the thought that the equipment works properly or it doesn't, which means that it is capable of playing everything well or not.
Genre does not come into it.

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 13:02
Sorry Chris, I'm of the thought that the equipment works properly or it doesn't, which means that it is capable of playing everything well or not.

It just sounded so polite and nice , just an impression really , I should have had the guts to ask him to stick on some lizzy :) I'm a coward though .

You're right Chris , a friend of mine is a huge classical fan and he dislikes rock music but his system (very expensive) can do rock .

sq225917
23-09-2012, 14:01

That totally ignores the contribution of the room to how the gear sounds, what might work with small scale acoustic might not work when the walls are rattling with stunt electronic bass.

JimC
23-09-2012, 14:46
It's you.
I've only ever once got home and thought my system was broken after an audio show :)

Bugger!!:(

Audioman
23-09-2012, 15:30
Indeed, and *that* is my whole point: for £40k you ought to be, not only staggered, but utterly BLOWN away, with a capital B!! For that money, you should be sat there, gob-smacked, thinking: 'OMG, I've never heard a sound like it, from vinyl. This is mind-blowing!' "Good", I'm afraid, just doesn't cut it.

That is why I rarely go now to hi-fi shows, as the uber-expensive stuff never delivers, sonically, what it *should* for the crazy money being asked, and rarely, if ever, betters what I use myself at home. It's all bollocks. Therefore, I may as well save money and stay at home listening to better sounds ;)

I'm sure that many others feel the same.

TBH, the only things that tempt me to go to shows these days, other than Scalford (where REAL hi-fi systems are demonstrated) is meeting up with some of the lads here and having a few beers, as well as buying some vinyl. The pictures are fun to look at, though! :)

Marco.

I didn't realy listen to this TT as the music coming from the room and general sound seemed uninspiring. I only go into rooms attracting a crowd or when it sounds reasonably enticing from the doorway. Anyway I can't understand people enthusing about domesticaly unacceptable beomoths that weigh a ton and cost 40K. The sound from the Spiralgroove TT and VTL amplification demoed by Right Note was far more enticing and the proprietor was prepared to play some decent music (The Wall, Stevie Ray Vaughan). Admitedly another uber expensive system. The TT was half the price of the 40K wonder, appeared to have some original thinking on isolation and was designed to fit in, lacking unecessary bling. I think the fact this is US gear inflates the price somewhat. A system out of my price bracket by about ten times but at least very enjoyable to listen.

BTW there were too many exhibitors showing off 100K++ systems playing uninspiring classical music at relatively modest volume. Hardly a way to demonstrate the abilities of massive speakers which should be doing very extended bass at the least.

Paul.

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 16:28
I didn't realy listen to this TT as the music coming from the room and general sound seemed uninspiring. I only go into rooms attracting a crowd or when it sounds reasonably enticing from the doorway. Anyway I can't understand people enthusing about domesticaly unacceptable beomoths that weigh a ton and cost 40K. The sound from the Spiralgroove TT and VTL amplification demoed by Right Note was far more enticing and the proprietor was prepared to play some decent music (The Wall, Stevie Ray Vaughan). Admitedly another uber expensive system. The TT was half the price of the 40K wonder, appeared to have some original thinking on isolation and was designed to fit in, lacking unecessary bling. I think the fact this is US gear inflates the price somewhat. A system out of my price bracket by about ten times but at least very enjoyable to listen.

BTW there were too many exhibitors showing off 100K++ systems playing uninspiring classical music at relatively modest volume. Hardly a way to demonstrate the abilities of massive speakers which should be doing very extended bass at the least.

Paul.

Hi Paul

It was my friend John who asked for the wall to be played and I selected comfortably numb , was that what you listened to ?

Audioman
23-09-2012, 16:48
Hi Paul

It was my friend John who asked for the wall to be played and I selected comfortably numb , was that what you listened to ?

Chris.

No. 'Another Brick in the Wall' etc on side 1.

BTW that TT was doing something right as it was a standard later barcoded pressing and reproduced with an absolute lack of surface noise. Great system. A dealer I would use if I thought he stocked anything I could afford :)

Paul.

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 16:52
No. 'Another Brick in the Wall' etc on side 1.

Ahh so they played some more Floyd , they played tin pan alley when we were in the room as well.

chelsea
23-09-2012, 16:59
Ahh so they played some more Floyd , they played tin pan alley when we were in the room as well.

Wish that track was banned from shows.:)

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 17:04
Wish that track was banned from shows.:)

Lol yeah it's played to death , I wished I'd asked them to play 'a louse is not a home ' that might have cleared the room :D

chelsea
23-09-2012, 17:11
Solid air is another that should come with a prison sentance.

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 17:19
Take Five was played a number of times yesterday , it's a classic but I'm sick to death of hearing it lol

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 18:21
A couple of rooms I enjoyed being in yesterday , Art Audio and Audionote , Mario as always very friendly and the Art Audio room being of particular interest to my pal John who recently has become a very proud owner of a Diavolo integrated amp and we wanted to hear the phono stage , they were a very nice bunch of folks and John was able to chat with Tom about a custom version for his IO cartridge .

In the Audionote room , we listened to the TT2 with matching arm and standard IO cartridge , very nice and actually very affordable compared to almost all the other super high end TT's on show yesterday.

Frankyc2003
23-09-2012, 19:26
Take Five was played a number of times yesterday , it's a classic but I'm sick to death of hearing it lol

Well at least Ken Ishiwata played some nice Oscar Petersen
;)

But yes totally agree some track should be banned!

A bit like that sign in Tin Pan Alley, NO 'Smoke on the Water' while trying the guitars please!

:D

Audio Al
23-09-2012, 19:36
Well at least Ken Ishiwata played some nice Oscar Petersen

In the Marantz demo room ? :) I was in one of the demo's :D

DSJR
23-09-2012, 19:39
If you ever get to hear Tin Pan Alley on a properly sorted stereo (price is irrelevant), it transforms you to a different world, so well sung and performed is it. You really do get immersed in the song and the story makes sense. Played on ill-matched systems, it gets tiresome very easily.....

Frankyc2003
23-09-2012, 19:42
In the Marantz demo room ? :) I was in one of the demo's :D
Yes, a very nice recording from the mid 70's... A real pleasure. The Marantz S11 made those Boston speakers disappear in favour of a great Jazz moment...:cool:

Marco
23-09-2012, 19:43
If you ever get to hear Tin Pan Alley on a properly sorted stereo (price is irrelevant), it transforms you to a different world, so well sung and performed is it. You really do get immersed in the song and the story makes sense. Played on ill-matched systems, it gets tiresome very easily.....

I completely agree, as that's what I'm used to hearing from that particular recording. Reproduced musically accurately, it transcends being 'hi-fi demo pap' and becomes something genuinely quite beautiful, as indeed does Solid Air. One can never have too much John Martyn! :exactly:

Marco.

Audioman
23-09-2012, 21:03
In the Audionote room , we listened to the TT2 with matching arm and standard IO cartridge , very nice and actually very affordable compared to almost all the other super high end TT's on show yesterday.

I agree that TT2 did a great job in that system. Obviously some work done since it's Systemdek origins and with the new arm actualy offering a high sound for pound compared with most current products. This is at odds with the price they charge for their AN series speakers (as well as many other of their products) which look very similar to their Snell Origins.

BTW - Agree nowt wrong with SRV's Tin Pan Allley. 'Couldn't Stand The Weather' is a terrific sounding disc even on a bog standard pressing. I also plead guilty to liking other show demo favourites such as 'Telegraph Road'.

Paul.

Spectral Morn
23-09-2012, 21:06
The Promethus Audio turntable does not cost £40000. Get your facts right :doh: if you guys are going to discuss a show in any way shape or form make sure you take notes.

George Thompson was a gentleman a pleasure to talk to and a highly intelligent and skilled engineer.

The turntable depending on materials used, finish etc starts from about £12000. The table it was on - optional and available as a separate item - can cost up to £35,000 depending on materials and isolation applications. What was in the room was about £25,000 - I would need to dig my notes - two pages worth on this one room alone - to give the exact price - I am tired and just back from the airport.

The arm was £8000 and the cart a Koestsu £4000.

While sound quality is of course subjective and room dependant - issues aside - I was very impressed with this turntable, how it performed and Mr Thompson.

YNWaN
23-09-2012, 21:13
He did tell me today that the TT on show was 40K - nice chap though.

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 21:17
I agree that TT2 did a great job in that system. Obviously some work done since it's Systemdek origins and with the new arm actualy offering a high sound for pound compared with most current products. This is at odds with the price they charge for their AN series speakers (as well as many other of their products) which look very similar to their Snell Origins.

BTW - Agree nowt wrong with SRV's Tin Pan Allley. 'Couldn't Stand The Weather' is a terrific sounding disc even on a bog standard pressing. I also plead guilty to liking other show demo favourites such as 'Telegraph Road'.

Paul.

Hi Paul

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the TT1 based on the systemdeck ? The TT2 being based on the old Valdi ?

Agree about the speakers , I used Snell type J's for 15 years , not sure if the Audionote versions are so much better ? I do prefer the type E though .

Barry
23-09-2012, 21:25
The Promethus Audio turntable does not cost £40000. Get your facts right :doh: if you guys are going to discuss a show in any way shape or form make sure you take notes.

George Thompson was a gentleman a pleasure to talk to and a highly intelligent and skilled engineer.

The turntable depending on materials used, finish etc starts from about £12000. The table it was on - optional and available as a separate item - can cost up to £35,000 depending on materials and isolation applications. What was in the room was about £25,000 - I would need to dig my notes - two pages worth on this one room alone - to give the exact price - I am tired and just back from the airport.

The arm was £8000 and the cart a Koestsu £4000.

While sound quality is of course subjective and room dependant - issues aside - I was very impressed with this turntable, how it performed and Mr Thompson.

So £37,000 for a source? For that price I would not only expect to be impressed, I would expect and have a right to be bloody impressed!

Lodgesound
23-09-2012, 21:28
So be honest gentlemen......who on earth CAN afford ANY of this equipment??? What is the point here other than the old "we can have it but you can't" mentality so prevalent in our Government and leadership today?

Be honest - it's just utterly silly now. These prices are just laughable and the "HiFi" industry just sits and perpetually mourns the loss of a bygone era.......I wonder why????

Music and the hign quality reproduction thereof is and always was a complete revelation and joy - one that should be made affordable and not shrouded to the point of exclusion from ordinary human beings with real-world incomes in this complete elitist fiscal snobbery.

I'll never forget the day a dealer said to me at a show when I had the audacity to query the price of a system a reply staring with the words "well if you have to ask the price..."

It was the closest I ever came to exploding publicly in the face of an elitist snob who was obviously only there to look down his nose at ordinary folk who can merely dream of owning such equipment........

Marco
23-09-2012, 21:38
So £37,000 for a source? For that price I would not only expect to be impressed, I would expect and have a right to be bloody impressed!

Ah, I see, it's only £37k, not £40k. That could swing it. The money saved could be spent instead on obtaining a Thai bride.

Marco.

YNWaN
23-09-2012, 21:38
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the TT1 based on the systemdeck ? The TT2 being based on the old Valdi ?

It's sort of a hybrid of both.

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 21:40
Stewart I don't think it's that simple , ordinary people with ordinary incomes just aren't interested in real hifi or quality audio ! Not where I live anyway , it seems to me only people with serious money are interested and the industry or what's left of it are falling over themselves for their business .

Everyone I know apart from John is quite content with an iPod and cheap headphones .

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 21:45
It's sort of a hybrid of both.

Thanks Mark , I think it does use twin motors and impressive looking outboard PSU ?

Lodgesound
23-09-2012, 21:50
I hear what you say Chris - may be I just have an over-idealistic notion of trying to change things - to make high quality music listening popular in the home again.

The car industry seemingly learned a little from the market at large and have actually made owning a brand new high end car a reality to a far greater section of the market..................I just wonder if the HiFi idustry could do the same to a small degree...

Reffc
23-09-2012, 21:53
For me, many of the mega-bucks systems (Audio Alchemy aside) disappointed and certainly didn't earn their price tags in sonic terms anyway. What impressed most were some of the more modest rooms, particularly the two guys and their new speakers at the Alacrity Audio room. Simply astonishing sound from small stand mounters. genuine full range sound (deep bass) from small enclosures and with eyes shut, could have been some higher end floor standers. Great mid range presence too and considering the modest £200 fatman i-tube thingy amp and laptop source, one of the stand out sounds of the show!

Great sounds to be heard in the Audio Alchemy room. Stunning full range OB loudspeakers, home made cassette deck(really!) and fabulous turntables completed what was for me anyway the star of the show. Startlingly realistic presentation and dynamics. Given the price tage, I'd have expected nothing less.

All in all, a very enjoyable day at the show and nice to meet some AoS members including Dave from MCRuS

Barry
23-09-2012, 21:57
Stewart I don't think it's that simple , ordinary people with ordinary incomes just aren't interested in real hifi or quality audio ! Not where I live anyway , it seems to me only people with serious money are interested and the industry or what's left of it are falling over themselves for their business .

Everyone I know apart from John is quite content with an iPod and cheap headphones .

What a patronising statement! You certainly don't have to pay anything like the sums asked by high-end manufacturers, nor should you, to obtain a decent turntable arm and cartidge. Just look at some of the gear used here by members.

"Simple ordinary people" are interested in quality audio - they are sensibly avoiding paying the ludicrous prices demanded these days for the sort of gear fawned over by the likes of HFN and HiFi+. And those that do buy this gear are not necessarily interested in music at all - they buy it as a status symbol.

Marco
23-09-2012, 21:59
I've got plenty of mates who own 'proper' hi-fi systems (but not audiophile jewellery), and most importantly, who are seriously into music - live and recorded. You need to move where the action is, Chris! ;)

Marco.

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 22:00
I hear what you say Chris - may be I just have an over-idealistic notion of trying to change things - to make high quality music listening popular in the home again.

The car industry seemingly learned a little from the market at large and have actually made owning a brand new high end car a reality to a far greater section of the market..................I just wonder if the HiFi idustry could do the same to a small degree...

Yes indeed , I would love to see and encourage people in my wage bracket if you like , taking an interest and investing in a decent system but it seems a lost cause ?

Walking around the show yesterday , we noticed the vast majority of visitors were in our age bracket or older , probably mostly die hard flat earthers from the 80's lol

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 22:08
I've got plenty of mates who own 'proper' hi-fi systems (but not audiophile jewellery), and most importantly, who are seriously into music - live and recorded. You need to move where the action is, Chris! ;)

Marco.

I'd rather not Marco old chap , sheep shagging in Wrexham is not my thing ;)

I know plenty of folks who love music but all they need is an iPod here in Banbury .

Audioman
23-09-2012, 22:14
Hi Paul

Agree about the speakers , I used Snell type J's for 15 years , not sure if the Audionote versions are so much better ? I do prefer the type E though .

Both based on Systemdek - I thought TT2 was an upgraded version (two motor version of TT1). OK the two motor Valdi idea transplanted into a Systemdek IIX.

Marco
23-09-2012, 22:14
Lol, no sheepy shenanigans here, Chris - that shit goes on up in da hills... Not much fun being into proper hi-fi and music though, if folk in your area only use iPods! ;)

There's nothing better than a good beer-filled music sesh at a mate's place, through a suitably 'naughty' sounding hi-fi system! :trust: :exactly:

Marco.

sq225917
23-09-2012, 22:15
He said it was 40k yesterday. But then he said a lot of other things that were inaccurate as well.

Marco
23-09-2012, 22:17
Apparently, the price quoted depended on what you were wearing.

Marco.

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 22:18
What a patronising statement! You certainly don't have to pay anything like the sums asked by high-end manufacturers, nor should you, to obtain a decent turntable arm and cartidge. Just look at some of the gear used here by members.

"Simple ordinary people" are interested in quality audio - they are sensibly avoiding paying the ludicrous prices demanded these days for the sort of gear fawned over by the likes of HFN and HiFi+. And those that do buy this gear are not necessarily interested in music at all - they buy it as a status symbol.

Sorry if it sounds patronising , but where I live this is how I see it , maybe it's a different story up north ? I hope so .

Marco
23-09-2012, 22:25
Barry lives in Essex, dude ;)

Marco.

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 22:30
Lol, no sheepy shenanigans here, Chris - that shit goes on up in da hills... Not much fun being into proper hi-fi and music though, if folk in your area only use iPods! ;)

There's nothing better than a good beer-filled music sesh at a mate's place, through a suitably 'naughty' sounding hi-fi system! :trust: :exactly:

Marco.

It is a shame , when John and I are talking about valves and turntables , our friends think were a couple of sad geeks and need to get a life :eyebrows:

Audioman
23-09-2012, 22:31

Marco.

And we all know Essex man prefers Range Rovers and Rolex to proper hi-fi. :lol:

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 22:31

Marco.

Opps :eyebrows:

Marco
23-09-2012, 22:32
How are things going with the Rothwell, btw? :)

Marco.

Gazjam
23-09-2012, 22:36
Just back (literally) from the show after a 5 hour drive.

My first show but not my last.
Met and chatted with a few interesting characters, some familiar some not. Always good to put a face to the name.
Great to hear some premium kit, though not many were perfect.
Probably setup/room issues?

Even heard the "Floral Dance" sound amazing (In the DCS room) and that's saying summit. :)

Nice venue, didn't know it was next door to Silverstone?
Was great to watch the start of the Singapore GP with a beer in the bar, a room steeped in F1.

Good weekend, might go to Bristol as well.

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 22:40
How are things going with the Rothwell, btw? :)

Marco.

Damn it I lost an auction for the MCL version which I listened to yesterday .

Sniped but never mind , Guy Sargeant has kindly offered to loan me a T10 , I'm worried I might want it though ? £325 I don't want to spend just at the moment , I spent too much yesterday , it's something I want to try though , no rush .

Marco
23-09-2012, 22:43
No worries... I think you'll like the T10. I had the pleasure of hearing it in my system, in the days when I used a Denon DL-103SA, and comparing to my (then) A23 SUT :)

Marco.

Barry
23-09-2012, 22:43
And we all know Essex man prefers Range Rovers and Rolex to proper hi-fi. :lol:

Well I do drive a Rover (actually a Honda in Rover clothing), and have worn a Rolex for the last 40 years. My audio system is worth considerably more than what I paid for the car or the value of my watch. :ner:

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 22:44
Oh I should have mentioned Alacrity Audio , big surprise of the show for me .

Little fatman tube amp £200 going into some interestingly engineered speakers , sounded amazing.

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 22:48
No worries... I think you'll like the T10. I had the pleasure of hearing it in my system, in the days when I used a Denon DL-103SA, and comparing to my (then) A23 SUT :)

Marco.

I'm just unsure what setting would work with my 33EV ?

YNWaN
23-09-2012, 22:50
Interesting; we really weren't taken by the Alacrity Audio speakers.

Marco
23-09-2012, 22:53
I'm just unsure what setting would work with my 33EV ?

Remind me of the options again?

Marco.

Tarzan
23-09-2012, 22:57
Anyone hear the Inspire Monarch Turntable- sounded amazing in that system-me likey!!!!:mex:

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 22:58
Remind me of the options again?

Marco.

I think it's 30 , 50 , 80 150 and 200 ohms

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 23:03
Interesting; we really weren't taken by the Alacrity Audio speakers.

John and I were both surprised by them in good way , but perhaps it suited our taste ? Did you like the Naim/kudos system at all ?

Marco
23-09-2012, 23:14
I think it's 30 , 50 , 80 150 and 200 ohms

No 100ohms option? That's unusual... I'd try the 80 first, or work downwards from 150 (I doubt your AT will like the 200 setting, or as low as 30).

Generally, the higher you go, in terms of impedance, the brighter sounding the cartridge becomes. There is a spot, however, where everything snaps into focus :)

Marco.

chris@panteg
23-09-2012, 23:42
No 100ohms option? That's unusual... I'd try the 80 first, or work downwards from 150 (I doubt your AT will like the 200 setting, or as low as 30).

Generally, the higher you go, in terms of impedance, the brighter sounding the cartridge becomes. There is a spot, however, where everything snaps into focus :)

Marco.

Might be a 100 ohms option , will look at guy's site , odd thing is the Rothwell was 20 ohms ? But Andrew said this is fine for my AT ?

YNWaN
24-09-2012, 06:30
Anyone hear the Inspire Monarch Turntable- sounded amazing in that system-me likey!!!!:mex:

Yeah, I heard it. Sounded OK, but the speakers were too far apart in that setup. For me, the best vinyl sound at the show (by some margin) was being made in the Right Note room by the Spiral Groove deck.

YNWaN
24-09-2012, 06:37
John and I were both surprised by them in good way , but perhaps it suited our taste ? Did you like the Naim/kudos system at all ?

Yes, I liked the Naim/Kudos system (have heard that a few times now).

We had a CD that had been recorded by a friend for demo purposes and Alacrity Audio were kind enough to play a track (as many rooms were kind enough to do). That particular track has a lot if low level information and some very low frequency content - both of which were unfortunately missing when heard on the Alacrity speakers.

chris@panteg
24-09-2012, 07:12
Yes, I liked the Naim/Kudos system (have heard that a few times now).

We had a CD that had been recorded by a friend for demo purposes and Alacrity Audio were kind enough to play a track (as many rooms were kind enough to do). That particular track has a lot if low level information and some very low frequency content - both of which were unfortunately missing when heard on the Alacrity speakers.

We didn't like the Naim/Kudos system , I only had a brief listen to the Alacrity but I thought it sounded better than it should have done , John felt the same .

sq225917
24-09-2012, 07:55
I thought the Alacrity speakers sounded just like they looked, a cheap set of speakers pushed hard up against a wall for upper bass reinforcement but lacking anything real down below. £2000 is a piss take, what little bass they had was so badly smeared they were unlistenable. They had leading edge attack, that was about it.

chris@panteg
24-09-2012, 08:19
I thought the Alacrity speakers sounded just like they looked, a cheap set of speakers pushed hard up against a wall for upper bass reinforcement but lacking anything real down below. £2000 is a piss take, what little bass they had was so badly smeared they were unlistenable. They had leading edge attack, that was about it.

I didn't know they cost £2000 ? I thought they were cheap speakers lol

YNWaN
24-09-2012, 08:20

Yes, pretty much parallels our own thoughts.

2K was just the discounted show price....

chris@panteg
24-09-2012, 08:32
Yes, pretty much parallels our own thoughts.

2K was just the discounted show price....

You are both so dismissive of the speakers , yet have you considered what they might sound like with a better amp ? And something better than a laptop for source ?

A fatman tube amp for £200 can be bettered I think .

Alan Sircom
24-09-2012, 08:34

I'd disagree.. up to a point. If you judge audio by a high-end show (or a high-end magazine) then yes, it can seem that the only people interested in good audio are those with a lot of disposable income. But that's like reading Evo and visiting a Maserati dealership and concluding the only people who buy cars buy supercars.

Like almost every aspect of modern consumerism, the middle market has been most heavily hit. The companies supplying those middle-range consumers are struggling, and in some cases either going out of business or moving up or down market. If you are a part of that middle market, the drop in sales can make it seem no-one cares about audio anymore. Fact is, even disregarding the second-hand and eBay market, there is a small groundswell of people getting into audio, often starting with LP as a backlash against the virtualisation of music.

Where I agree is we in the traditional audio market are not reaching the rank-and-file music lover as much as we used to, because so many people are using smartphones and headphones or IEMs for most of their musical demands. There is a snobbery here; those who get into their headphone replay take it just as seriously as those who got into loudspeaker-based systems (it's not that uncommon for headphone enthusiasts to have a collection of kit that could put many an audiophile to shame... OK, so maybe not in sheer weight).

YNWaN
24-09-2012, 08:37
You are both so dismissive of the speakers , yet have you considered what they might sound like with a better amp ? And something better than a laptop for source ?

Well, my views aren't intended as an in-depth reportage. I look forward to your reported findings when you have coupled them with said better amp.

You could say I am dismissive of them, that's because they didn't impress - similarly, you could say I was enthusiastic about other rooms/equipment that did impress...that's the nature of shows.

Marco
24-09-2012, 08:41

Is that what was being used with a pair of £2k speakers?? Dear oh dear, one of these days people will realise that the 'speaker first' mullet approach rarely works, in terms of a system accurately reproducing MUSIC (instead of merely making a loud noise).

Try using a £2k source and amp, along with those speakers, thereby creating a balanced system, and without question the results would be different!! :exactly:

Marco.

chris@panteg
24-09-2012, 08:49
Thanks for putting me straight Alan , yes I would agree with that but all my friends , family , workmates etc , cars are a necessity not a luxury , I think that go's for most folks though these days .

A quality audio system just isn't something they feel they need .

chris@panteg
24-09-2012, 08:53
Is that what was being used with a pair of £2k speakers?? Dear oh dear, one of these days people will realise that the 'speaker first' mullet approach rarely works, in terms of a system accurately reproducing MUSIC (instead of merely making a loud noise).

Try using a £2k source and amp, along with those speakers, thereby creating a balanced system, and without question the results would be different!! :exactly:

Marco.

Precisely Marco :)

chris@panteg
24-09-2012, 09:03
Well, my views aren't intended as an in-depth reportage. I look forward to your reported findings when you have coupled them with said better amp.

You could say I am dismissive of them, that's because they didn't impress - similarly, you could say I was enthusiastic about other rooms/equipment that did impress...that's the nature of shows.

I doubt I'll be listening to them again ? Not in the market for speakers , like I said I thought they were inexpensive speakers ? I should have asked the guy really , I did find the set up a bit weird ? One seat in the middle with the objective of the dem to surprise people .

Marco
24-09-2012, 09:13
Might be a 100 ohms option , will look at guy's site , odd thing is the Rothwell was 20 ohms ? But Andrew said this is fine for my AT ?

100ohms would be my preferred option, for the AT. However 20ohms could work in the right system, if it creates the required sonic synergy. There are no absolutes with cartridge loading, as this sort of stuff is very system (and listener taste) dependant :)

Marco.

chris@panteg
24-09-2012, 09:50
100ohms would be my preferred option, for the AT. However 20ohms could work in the right system, if it creates the required sonic synergy. There are no absolutes with cartridge loading, as this sort of stuff is very system (and listener taste) dependant :)

Marco.

Thanks Marco

I did try John's SUT , audio innovations 1000 , now this has a low , I think 3 ohms and a high setting of 12 ohms ? Not 100% on that though but it didn't sound right , a little too rolled off and a bit of a problem with hum + very microphonic .

Marco
24-09-2012, 09:57
Not surprised it sounded rolled off, used at such a low impedance. Which John are we talking about, btw?

Marco.

chris@panteg
24-09-2012, 10:07
Not surprised it sounded rolled off, used at such a low impedance. Which John are we talking about, btw?

Marco.

My friend John , he's a college lecturer , not a member of any forum but a passionate music lover and long time valve enthusiast and vinyl junkie , great bloke and a great drinking buddie , he was with me at the show.

Marco
24-09-2012, 10:42
Ah, no worries. It wasn't clear whom you were referring to :)

Marco.

chris@panteg
26-09-2012, 11:41
I managed to find some piccies i took with my mobile , Ruili , John's wife took loads , will try and obtain those maybe ?

This is a strange looking valve and huge ! Interesting .

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/chrispanteg30/NewImage.jpg

And in action.

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/chrispanteg30/NewImage2.jpg

And lastly the Audionote room , a nice vibe in here , like the turntable and the type E's .

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu82/chrispanteg30/NewImage3.jpg

Lodgesound
26-09-2012, 21:16
I'm willing to bet that strange output valve is something called a QB 3...........I expect each monoblock was around £35 000.......it would'nt sound any good otherwise would it.

DSJR
26-09-2012, 21:19
Would this stuff pass legislation. An exposed huge hotly glowing bottle with an HT? terminal on top is lethal from a foot away, let alone to touch ;)

lurcher
26-09-2012, 21:55
Looks more like a 100TH or 100TL, exposed terminal on top has no excuse. Its a great sounding valve when done right though.

In fact it will not live long with those connectors. Its designed to run with the anode cherry red, needs to be that hot to work as a getter. But running at that dissipation needs the special (and entirely lethal) eimac finned connectors. So either it will get gassy, or will overheat and the internal welds will give up the ghost.

chris@panteg
26-09-2012, 22:09
I'm willing to bet that strange output valve is something called a QB 3...........I expect each monoblock was around £35 000.......it would'nt sound any good otherwise would it.

£25,000 I think they were ? I didn't care for the speakers .

Dingdong
26-09-2012, 22:10
It does look like it normally has a cage like the one in the background of one of the pics.

FidelityArt
09-10-2012, 21:18
Hope you enjoyedthe Show.

Firebottle
10-10-2012, 12:53
A quality audio system just isn't something they feel they need .
I would guess for most people, that haven't had the pleasure of listening to good audio, they don't know what they are missing.

Everyone who listens to my system is impressed because they haven't heard audio of the same calibre before.

Cheers, Alan

chris@panteg
10-10-2012, 19:04
I would guess for most people, that haven't had the pleasure of listening to good audio, they don't know what they are missing.

Everyone who listens to my system is impressed because they haven't heard audio of the same calibre before.

Cheers, Alan

Quite right of course , I wish I had not said that now :D