PDA

View Full Version : Did prog rock really die in 1975 ??

sugdenman
15-02-2008, 12:01
Did prog go underground or die out? My personal opinion is it sort of mutated. ok punk came along and supposedly killed off prog in 76-77. But by 79 we were seeing bands like Magazine, joy division, Japan, yes Japan,( keyboard player now plays in porcupine tree )David silvian has played with bob fripp( king crimson.) Its still there, just evolved. Whats your view ?

Tom.

Filterlab
15-02-2008, 12:35
The movement (as such) is definitely still there, but by its very nature of being progressive it moves with the times. It may well have moved in the direction of punk but at the same time it broke off into several new forms coinciding with the commercial release of the 'easier to work with' digital synthesiser - itself surely not a coincidence.

i.e. Joy Division became New Order became Electronic (to a degree). That would have been a ground of influence for a massive variety of synth based bands and also an influence over change of direction for more conventional bands to produce a change of style (think Chicago - massive style change over the course of their recording life).

Then there's stuff like The Alan Parsons Project which peaked far later then 1975, a group in its own right but of course still working with mainstays like Pink Floyd and doing a heck of a lot of behind the scenes production on other great outfits.

I'm not sure if I'm right here, but I always felt that Supertramp were a major progressive rock band. They moved so well with the times, utilising new instruments and techniques but always retained their unique elements; multiple changes in tempo, excellent organ hooks, shouting in the background etc etc. They must have had an influence on far more bands than they'll ever receive credit for.

Andre will love this thread! :)

Filterlab
15-02-2008, 12:44
Oh man, this makes me want to listen to some Supertramp and Alan Parsons right now - only I'm at work so will have to wait until I get home. :(

Vinyl Grinder
15-02-2008, 15:48
You can safley say that record company big wigs killed Prog off. They wanted 3 min catchy pop songs they could air on the radio not long drawn out concept pieces..Example:Yes 'Going For The One'', ELP 'Fanfare For The Common Man' sorry state of affairs if you ask me.Money & America was more important now than actual music..

The bands progressed to a state in the mid '70's that they had lost all of the earlier styles they once had anyway, may it be musical instrument advancement, outside influence what ever,the creativness was gone.Some call it simply progressing, i calling it going to the dogs.I'll pick 1973 as a real turning point for most of what still survived.

The Prog big boys on the block around this time were:YES, ELP, GENESIS, KING CRIMSON, PINK FLOYD (But i like to exclood this band from the others tho).

I do like to stick at 1975 as the definate death of the original prog bands & an obvious turning point.

Many bands have tried keeping prog alive ie: Marillion in the '80's upto the trash you have going these days...What i can't drill into modern so called prog fans is that prog progressed as far as they could/allowed, musical trends set in, the survivers followed suite with trend & ended up being branded a different style music .Example: So called supergraoup ASIA..made up of Carl Palmer (ELP), Steve Howe (YES), John Wetton (King Crimson), Jeoff Downes (YES)...4 respected Prog musician in an AOR band.AOR for christ sake it's a totally American styling soft rock typical of the time.

So called prog these days reminds me of the 1960 movie 'Time Machine'(Being the old prog) Vs re-made 'Time Machine' with Val Kilmner (New Prog..what a joke eh! Example of what's best left alone..

Really glad i have nothing to do with this era.The amount of Prog forums i've been banned from for speaking like this about is un real...I was pretty famous actually if not dreaded.

Here goes then proof in the pud:
Proper Genesis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upi6wpANBh4&feature=related

Here a Joke Genesis (Loosing all street cred big style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lx7ENNe5VhY

Luckly enough i listern the proto/ crossover prog so happy to live before any one this change thing happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzvcGNOjLn0
Here proper clobber a time when it was all right & dandy..

jimdgoulding
10-03-2008, 21:40
Nil Recurring.

Rick O
11-03-2008, 23:03
Of course prog is still around... it's just progressed from what is was in the 70s.

Which, to be honest, considering the name, is how it should be.

Vinyl Grinder
11-03-2008, 23:49
Of course prog is still around... it's just progressed from what is was in the 70s.

Rubbish, Bit hard to progress when it died completely in the late '70's...These bands today are made up of knobs that listern to too many old prog albums, fancy themselves as prog musicians but completely lose the plot in the process.

Filterlab
12-03-2008, 11:54
... it's just progressed from what is was in the 70s.

Indeed, although one would be hard pressed to truly identify a modern prog rock band, do they still exist?

Vinyl Grinder
12-03-2008, 14:48

Which, to be honest, considering the name, is how it should be.

Thats pure bollox (Pardon the word)..Do not use Neo prog & prog metal or what ever wanky names they give it, in the same vein as Progressive of yore, if you continue to do so you're way out of your depth.

Filterlab
12-03-2008, 20:18
Couldn't have put it better (or as unreadable) myself, old bean.

Marco
12-03-2008, 21:44
Yes indeed, Rob.

Mr "Wallace", funny as it may be to read once, if you persist in just writing gibberish your posts have no purpose, so your posts and you will be removed.

The ball is in your court. If you wish to remain a member then please write in English.

Thank you.

Marco.

Rick O
23-03-2008, 17:25
I'm not responding to any of the previous replies to my post because they're either: a) derogatory and closed-minded or b) unreadable and I can't be bothered deciphering them.

Indeed, although one would be hard pressed to truly identify a modern prog rock band, do they still exist?

There are many prog bands still around nowadays, I saw a fair few at the Summer's End prog festival (http://www.summersend.co.uk/). Just to name a few:
Threshold, Pagan's Mind, Pain of Salvation, The Flower Kings, Strange Fish, Dream Theater, Ayreon (although more of a project rather than a band)...

They may not be to everyone's taste (including classic prog fans), but they are prog nonetheless.

John
10-05-2008, 11:49
Think there are two lines of thinking those that think prog died in the 70s or those that that think it has morphed into something a bit different.
I am in the second camp I agree with Rick O
Pain of Salvation create some stunning music also off shots like Dial, Fragile Fastness, and Wastefall also create music with a progressive edge. So many bands doing music that either has prog rock influnces or even strictly prog rock
Heres a good link for all things progressive
http://www.proggnosis.com/

The Grand Wazoo
14-05-2008, 18:44
I don't like to seem negative here, but why does everything have to fit into a pigeon hole?
It's all just music - well most of it anyway.

At the time that the term 'progressive rock' was coined it meant something rather different than what it means now to the idiots who are possessed with the idea that being partial to music of a particular semi-demi-micro-sub-genre somehow makes them more cool than someone who's got a copy of 'In the Land of Grey & Pink' that they quite like. We've all heard the immortal sentence "Yeah well, I prefer their first album, they were never the same after........" (insert an appropriate reference to selling out by appearing on Top of the Pops, or the death of legendary guitarist/nose flute player in bizarre lawnmower and cheese & onion toastie related yatching accident etc, etc)

At the time, you were 'prog' if you weren't a 'pop group' or a 'heavy rock' band. It became synonymous with keyboards and concept albums etc later than that. A cynic might say it died when it stopped progressing - probably pretty soon after it started.

HOWEVER, on this subject, I'm an uber-cynic so I'd suggest it wasn't ever alive - except in the imaginations of the pigeon-holers (...is that legal by the way?....) therefore, it couldn't have died at all.

Other examples of the narrow minds of the pigeon-holers:
(Wasn't 'The Narrow Minds of the Pigeon-Holers' the limited edition ep released by Muscular Foot after Axel Pressbutton, the legendary Hammond organist, joined them in 1974?)

Dylan being called Judas
Classical music snobbery
Me nearly crapping myself at the last ever Jam gig in Brighton, 1982 because I had long(ish) hair!

Musical snobs are welcome to their opinions, but let's keep clear of over-categorising everything - Like I said before it's all just music.

John
16-05-2008, 16:59
Genres often frustrate me but they are useful guide to understanding what the music sounds like and I am as guilty as any self obsessed music geek of being a music snob at times

Beechwoods
26-05-2008, 06:22
Prog does live as far as I'm concerned. The essence of prog has been incorporated into forms of music that weren't even thought of in 1975 and all the better for it. Recently I stumbled across Dan Swanö, a highly prolific multi-instrumentalist and producer who's mixed retro-prog with melodic death metal to great effect, most notably on his solo album 'Moontower' (1998) and the amazing album 'Crimson II' by Edge Of Sanity (2003) on which he played and produced pretty much everything. He's a big Marillion fan and their early keyboard sound comes through on his stuff.

Opeth is probably the most successful band mixing prog and death metal. 'Ghost Of Perdition' is well worth checking out, and their 'mellow' / acoustic album 'Damnation'.

I do wonder why some people seem blind to 'modern' progressive stuff. Marillion's early albums are classics, taken as 'wholes' but also managed to be a great singles band - perhaps this is why some people ignore them.

I personally hate pigeon-holing particularly as it tends to scare people off being more diverse in what they check out. Or because some stuff is considered 'cool' or more worthy than others. Being close minded is not cool :mental:

stupinder
26-05-2008, 08:34
Dunno how relevant this is to this particular thread but i'm off to a free Prog festival at the end of August. Hawkwind are headlining and I wouldn't have pigeonholed them as being proggy - Astounding Sounds perhaps.
Anyway heres the link http://www.festival-crescendo.com/ if any of you are in that neck of the woods say hello. I'll be the balding, four eyed freak with 2 long haired kids and ginger wife - when put like that who could resist??

BajaGringo
26-05-2008, 18:10
Mainstream rock was killed off in the mid to late 70's. I believe that is a large reason why the music of groups like Supertramp, Boston, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Kansas and others is still in high demand today. After the disco/country fazes there was the birth of punk and then a new rock movement began. Call it a mutation, transformed, or it was simply morphed - it has changed.

I just accept it for what it is and all of it makes part of my digital library...

Filterlab
27-05-2008, 10:44
I just accept it for what it is...

Well said mate.

Music is music is music, as long as it's enjoyable who cares what 'category' it should fit in.

If I like the tune, I'll listen.

Togil
31-05-2008, 08:26
It died when the gentleman in the picture started singing rubbish

Steve Carras
10-06-2008, 03:19
I'm now here, but anyway, one of the very last progressive rock tunes to really hit big and the most innovative was Kraftwerk's "Autobahn", 1975, a very, very edited down US and German hit from a very, very long (like, 22:45! album version [which I downloaded from WinMX...]..

Prog Rock Pink Floyd, perhaps], lasted at least both in Europe (England included) and USA thru 1980 [even though the Floyd's surprise #1 hit 1980, "Another Brick in the Wall", is more of a standard rcok tune. There WAS always ELO, ELP, and Moody Blues.].

Yomanze
11-06-2008, 18:37
There's lots of progressive music around these days, but it's spread across virtually all genres of music. I do like a bit of Prog House, or Prog Death Metal and to me, a progressive album is pretty much anything that moves away from verse-chorus-verse-chorus into something more meandering, themic and exploring the band's mind rather than pre-set formulae approaches to music (NICKELBACK, PUDDLE OF MUDD)... so it certainly ain't dead in 2008.

Loving my new Rush vinyls though - picked up Hemispheres and A Farewell To Kings to accompany my favourite, 2112.

BajaGringo
12-06-2008, 03:11
This thread reminds me of the lyrics to Don Mcleans 1971/1972 song, American Pie.

"The day the music died"

"And we were singing...."

Beechwoods
12-06-2008, 21:41
I'm now here, but anyway, one of the very last progressive rock tunes to really hit big and the most innovative was Kraftwerk's "Autobahn", 1975, a very, very edited down US and German hit from a very, very long (like, 22:45! album version [which I downloaded from WinMX...]..

Welcome, Steve!

I've got to say that I love Ruckzuk from Kraftwerk 1. Reminiscent of Aphex Twin's Didgeridoo which followed some 20 years later. I don't know what takes the all-time biscuit for innovative, but I've been listening to a lot of Manfred Mann's Earth Band recently and have been blown away by his stuff. Messin' and Buddah off the 'Messin' album are amazing. Check them out.

:gig:

vegetableman
02-09-2008, 11:26
I guess it depends on what you call 'Progressive'. My attraction to The Clash and Sex Pistols was fuelled by self important over indulgent (and indulged) bores, who were neither progressive and certainly did not rock.

Just because the 'post punk' groups used keyboards and more than E'A and D' doesn't make them even close to Prog'. In that case, Bowie was prog', which he most certainly was not!

People will always be drawn to that 'musicianship' nonsense as their first means of gratification when listening to a musician or record. My first fix is the need of a feel.The need of a groove. Musicianship doesn't impress me and sadly, back in 1974, that was seen as the most important part of all those dinosaur bands.

The modern day 'Prog' groups have the same effect. People like Radiohead bore me to tears, though I'll admit that the fella York has a beautiful voice when he feels the whimsy to put it to effect. Apart from that, 'Look at us, aint we clever'.

If I want clever I'll listen to Super Furry Animals, who are clever and have tunes to die for.

Haselsh1
29-12-2008, 18:32
These days, as an old prog rocker, I'm listening to Tortoise all the way from the US of A and Ozric Tentacles. These are very prog rock in a modern way especially Tortoise who have an amazing musical capability.

Beechwoods
29-12-2008, 18:55
The Ozrics are fantastic - I love their early stuff on Dovetail, and they have been a brilliant live band for years. Sadly, changes in recent years mean only Ed is left from the original lineup, still I would always try and catch them if they played nearby.

Which is your favourite album? For me, it's a toss-up between Pungent Effulgent, Sliding Gliding Worlds and Erpsongs.

If you can track down a copy of 'The Grove Of Selves' or 'Spacelines' by Nodens Ictus you won't be disappointed. NI were a kind of ambient offshoot of the Ozrics featuring Ed Wynne and Joie Hinton of the Ozrics. Kind of Ozrics without the drums.

Haselsh1
29-12-2008, 23:55
For me, their finest album has to be Pungent Effulgent. I don't mind the new stuff including the drum machine tracks.
If you like electronic/techno try Eat Static. These are Joie and Merv together as one band.

Spectral Morn
30-12-2008, 00:36
I know from elsewhere, that you like Genesis.

There is an Italian Band called the Watch ( made one cd as The Night watch), they are very good IMHO. The lead singer sounds naturally a little like Gabriel but is better ( don't shoot me, he has a bigger range vocally ).

The music is like Genesis up until 1976. production quality and musicianship is excellent. There is a wee touch of early King Crimson and Van der graf generator in there too. You can get their stuff at GFT mailorder ( Cyclops records ), plus a lot more,that is very good too.

http://www.gftmailorder.co.uk/gft/gftmomenu.html

Did you ever get your Genesis SACD discs. I got round to listening to Selling England and Foxtrot the other day ,very good, nice remastering and plenty of bass.

Ozrics remind me of mid 70's Gong, when Steve Hillage had taken over. The You album in paticular, excellent stuff. I agree about Pungent Effulgent being the best.

Regards D S D L ----- Neil :)

Haselsh1
30-12-2008, 09:42
I absolutely adore the music of Mr Hillage especially 'Green'. I was a bit late for Gong and Soft Machine but was heavily into Yes, ELP, Genesis and the Floyd although I always considered the Floyd to be a particularly soft version of prog rock. Of the Genesis material I find it very easy to single out one particular track and that has to be 'The Fountain of Salmacis' (please excuse the spelling). I think one of the things that made prog rock what it was, was the obligatory use of the Rickenbacker bass. Much later of course there was Rush but note how their sound changed so much when they moved away from the Rickenbacker.

I find Ozric Tentacles to be a nice blend of prog rock and fully improvised jazz. I love their use of space age synth sounds and massive reverb. I also love the use of 'real' drums. Just what the hell is it with digital...??? "Oh, this is digital and is therefore the best...!" No, sorry but it's not.

I love the Floyd with my personal favourite being 'Wish you were here'. I find though that Floyd is music to relax to whereas 'true' prog rock is music to get wound up to. This brings me back to the likes of 'The Return of the Giant Hogweed'. Just how bloody English is that...??? Just how itense is that Steve Hackett guitar riff...?

It really is bliss...!!! And, I still don't have my SACD's yet but I'm waiting.

Filterlab
30-12-2008, 09:51
I love the Floyd with my personal favourite being 'Wish you were here'. I find though that Floyd is music to relax to whereas 'true' prog rock is music to get wound up to.

That's my favourite Floyd album too, particularly the gentle introduction of Shine On You Crazy Diamond which I believe has the longest single chord of any multi-chord song ever written. Very relaxing, as is most of their stuff, and whilst it is definitely progressive rock, it appears to break the norm in terms of delivery and pace. Great music.

The Grand Wazoo
30-12-2008, 10:00
I love the Floyd with my personal favourite being 'Wish you were here'. I find though that Floyd is music to relax to whereas 'true' prog rock is music to get wound up to.

Hi Has,
While I've never actually tried it myself, I don't think I could ever get a decent kip with the likes of Interstellar Overdrive, Careful With That Axe, Eugene or The Nile Song noodling away in the background.

Haselsh1
30-12-2008, 10:02
I have to agree entirely. Their music these days would be chillout music and is so beautiful in it's presentation as long as you ignore the Barrett days. Even coming bang up to date with 'On an Island' the music has a gorgeous relaxed strain to it that is perfect for listening to at night, lights off, valve amp powered up. I have most of their music on vinyl and at the moment I'm in the middle of putting together a much better vinyl system so that I may make the most of the black stuff. Believe it or not, I can't decide between an old secondhand LP12 or a brand shiny new SL1210 Mk5G...!!!

Haselsh1
30-12-2008, 10:04
OK, I agree, it was maybe too much of a generalisation...!

The Grand Wazoo
30-12-2008, 10:08
OK, I agree, it was maybe too much of a generalisation...!

Hehe,
I was just tinkering with you - I've actually said all I need to say on this subject earlier in the thread.
Cheers

Filterlab
30-12-2008, 10:17
Believe it or not, I can't decide between an old secondhand LP12 or a brand shiny new SL1210 Mk5G...!!!

I'd say the 1210 with no doubt at all, personally I find the LP12 too warm and wallowy for my digital tastes. However, the LP12 may be just what you're looking for.

Haselsh1
30-12-2008, 16:34
Mmmm... going back to prog rock, I heard mention earlier of the Moody Blues. Now excuse for breathing but, if prog rock is the culmination of concept then the Moody Blues must be the birth of the genre. Also, slightly later, we had Renaissance forming from the wastes of the Yardbirds and Mr Jim McCarty. Track down the album 'Prologue' for a mass of time signature changes, grand orchestration and a blast of the VCS3 played by Francis Monkman, later he of Sky fame. What about the Who...??? Did they not border prog rock at times...? The mix of bands at that time was truly mind blowing.

Haselsh1
30-12-2008, 16:50
There's more than a little dig in the title to this thread. Is the author of this thread suggesting that the death of prog rock was solely due to a certain Peter Gabriel leaving Genesis...? It is my personal opinion that the short bald headed little gob***te was responsible for the death of Genesis as a band and forger of musical genius but I don't think that this event was the cause of the downfall of prog. Prog is still around but it has evolved into wonderful sounds and palettes. Long may it exist.

I apologise for my outburst earlier. During my teens I worshipped Genesis and was devastated when Gabriel left as were many others. I despise what that man did to my favourite band and always will. We all know who I'm referring to.

Haselsh1
30-12-2008, 16:53
They were MY band... Do you hear...? MY band...!!! (Sorry)

Spectral Morn
30-12-2008, 21:04
In my opinion Prog never fully died. Yes it faded a bit but bands like Uk were still making albums into the early 80's. And then the Marillion, Pallas ,Iq thing started. Now days its a fairly big thing again with loads of bands doing their thing, heck some dance is prog( Zero 7, Orb, System 7, The Grid, Innocence, Lemon Jelly, Jakatta to name but a few.)

I love Renaissance but prefer the Annie Halsham period myself. Turn of a Friendly Card, Song for all Seasons.

You should try Saga a Canadian prog/pomp/aor band they would site the likes of Gentle Giant as a major influence. try their first few albums SAGA, SILENT KNIGHTS, WORLDS APART. One of my fave bands of all time.

I like the more poppy Sid Barrett Floyd( not the killing instruments stuff) but much prefer the later stuff with Dark Side and Animals,being faves.

I love Al di Meola with Splendido Hotel, Land of the midnight Sun, and Tiramisu being my fave.

Just love all this stuff. Yes, Hillage album Green is amazing (other stuff to much of the wacky new age lyrics.

I have seen Yes live a couple of times with the Reunion tour being amazing (no Patrick Moraz ) but pretty much everyone else on the large round stage, Also saw the Magnification tour with an orchestra WOW.

Moody Blues may be an early prog band but they were a bit to popy IMHO. Bands like The Nice and Procal Harum may be closer to the origin and early Yes.

Regards D S D L---- Neil :)

Haselsh1
31-12-2008, 00:35
You voiced some very interesting things there. I was, unfortunately, to young to appreciate Procol Harum and The Nice but I made up for this in my teens with the bands I have already mentioned. The Renaissance I refer to is only ever the stuff with Annie Haslam at the helm but even then only during the seventies. During the eighties they too were reduced to a pile of drivel along with so many more.

I am very happy with the present evolution of prog rock. I have found many bands around now that show a little twinkle of what it used to be all about. I am pleased. Long may it live.

Filterlab
31-12-2008, 09:35
...heck some dance is prog (Zero 7, Orb, System 7, The Grid, Innocence, Lemon Jelly, Jakatta to name but a few.)

Good call. I don't think Prog Rock ever died, I think a lot of it just moved to a more relevant musical style, and it will keep changing styles to replicate the current chart music (as it did in the 70s) but with a degree of thought and introspection that doesn't exist in pop music.

Haselsh1
31-12-2008, 11:13
Good call, well said...!!! I have never ever thought of prog rock as any form of pop music. Back in my school days it was frowned upon heavily to be into any sort of 'commercial' music. Prog rock was therefore by definition, a very un-commercial form of music and therefore not appreciated by the average majority. As a teenager, this gave me a degree of uniqueness that helped the teenage attitude no end.

Filterlab
31-12-2008, 11:22
And anything that helps with that becomes a grail in later life. :)

Spectral Morn
03-01-2009, 00:00
Just watched the tail end of this (I will record it later). But what I saw was fabulous. King Crimsom, Elp, Caravan, Soft Machine (bit to weird for me). However the follow up show Prog Brittania while interesting was missing so much. No Hawkwind, Camel, Pink Floyd, and what about the prog of the late 80's Marrilion, IQ Pallas, etc. And no mention of whats going on today. Flower Kings, Muse, etc. Uncomplete and frustrating. However Egg were fun as was Procal Harum.

Worth watching IMHO.

Nick you would like this. Plenty on Cantebury movement. Even played some Wilde Flowers, very good too.

Regards D S D L ----- Neil :)

Beechwoods
03-01-2009, 00:03
Damn! Soft Machine? Is it being repeated?

I must say I've never had Soft Machine down as 'prog' - maybe their mid-seventies stuff - but classic-era Softs were free-jazz with a rock sensibility. Ne'r mind, any footage of Soft Machine is going to be really interesting...

Spectral Morn
03-01-2009, 00:16
Yes, tonight BBC 4 again at 2.10 Prog Britannia ( Documentary on Prog 1967 to 2008 ) and 3.40. Prog at the BBC ( Live stuff mostly from the whistle test)I will be recording the performances but not the documentary. Digital TV does have its uses.

Yes I would have put Soft Machine down as free Jazz too. I don't like avant Garde stuff----- I like a tune,melody etc. Both shows are worth taping,Hard DRIVEing, DVDing.

BBC 4 tonight. More stuff tomorrow night as well ELP live 1973 plus more bits with Yes etc. Genesis when in Rome tour on Sunday night

Regards D S D L ---- Neil :)

Beechwoods
03-01-2009, 08:58
I recorded it last night, though my computer was backing up one of my other drives so it might be a bit stuttery. These docs are always repeated anyway.

Here's some brilliant footage of SM from French TV in 1971, the quintet line up - for me the most interesting, with Wyatt still on sticks, and Elton Dean on first reeds: Mike Ratledge, Robert Wyatt, Hugh Hopper, Elton Dean and Lyn Dobson.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrcOEoFttWU

I'm told that Egg were also on. Egg are one my favourite Canterbury bands, and I've never seen any video footage of them playing, so this should be a good one!

Haselsh1
03-01-2009, 10:26
In spite of the more commercial prog rock that everyone seems to be very aware of I still find myself leaning towards the very early 'flowery' english prog rock like the Canterbury set. Of course at that time I was only around ten years old but I never recall a time when we didn't have the Dansette on the go. My earliest memories are of music of one form or another. I do remember Procol Harum and I do remember the early Moody Blues. I have a vague memory of Gong and Steve Hillage but I guess I was more in line with most as I have strong memories of ELP and the likes. And, I have to agree that only the very early Soft Machine were prog. Their later stuff was very definitely free jazz. I love all of this reminiscing.

Beechwoods
03-01-2009, 10:29
If you have a penchant for the Canterbury thing, you may want to check out this thread:
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1167... the Canterbury scene was far more interesting and 'English' than a lot of the stadium rock prog that went around in the mid 70's, in my humble opinion ;)

Haselsh1
03-01-2009, 14:38
Yes, in the poshest of English voices it all seemed very public schoolboy. Have you also noticed that, apart from Renaissance, it was all very boyish with no girls being involved...? I loved this typical English music which was so far removed from the bloody awful noises we have to put up with today. Even modern prog rock has an otherworldly feel to it that seems quite American by comparison. OK so bands like Tortoise are indeed American but Ozric Tentacles are from Frome... how English is that...? What ever happened to values...? I guess they went down the drain along with respect.