PDA

View Full Version : Easy improvement to sound.

archiesdad
21-09-2012, 19:21
We recently changed our audio gear and last night we had a visit from one of the guys that sold us the gear, he brought a new interconnect that was a freebie with the cd/amp combo(although the price it would have cost didn't make it seem cheap) and wanted to check the set up, he was happy with the positioning etc but wanted to try something, so a wee tweak on the speaker retaining bolts into the cabinet really (yes really) made the sound and image jump out. I had read this in a couple of magazines as a way to improve the sound but had not yet tried it as the speakers were ex demo and not very old, in short something to try if you haven't already done so, but please, be careful on how much strain you put on the bolts, overtightening will be worse than than them being slack.

synsei
21-09-2012, 19:35
Yup, have tried this tip myself and it works. In fact you should check the speaker bolts about once a year because they can work loose over time. I would echo Martin's warning about over-tightening them, it can do untold damage if one isn't ultra careful.

NRG
21-09-2012, 19:37
That one goes waaaaay back...1980s or earlier, white knuckle tightness like the Linn cartridge mantra. Sometimes it can work but other times it simply crushes the driver gasket into pulp and ruins the pretension airtight seal the gasket offers to the cabinet....be careful.

The Black Adder
21-09-2012, 20:25
Same here, I did it with some Monitor Audio BR5's years ago, the bolts needed a good couple of turns as far as I remember. Instant upgrade.

I actually liked the BR5's opposed to others at the price point.

Ali Tait
21-09-2012, 20:41
Liking your avatar pic Joe, that R to R is one nice looking bit of kit.

The Black Adder
21-09-2012, 20:48
Liking your avatar pic Joe, that R to R is one nice looking bit of kit.

Cheers Ali.

I'll eventually get round to posting some stuff about it at some point. It is an amazing bit of kit though, sounds magnificent.