PDA

View Full Version : salutations

Darkstar_Surfer
21-09-2012, 17:25
Having just registered I will do my best to introduce myself. Unfortunately I can't think of much to say about myself apart from my kit is probably way inferior and that is what I hope to fix. My current kit list is

Rega Planer 3, Oppo BDP-95eu, Audiolab 8000AP, Lumagen XD, Rotel RMB-1075, Panasonic 50PHD6, JVC HD350 + 81" electric screen, Monitor Audio Radius 250's 3 0ff front and 180's 2 off rear and a BK Monolith DF.

Actually I have 4 system with the other 3 built from my cast off's scattered around various bedrooms. They include a 42PHD8, 2 off 42PHD6's, Emotiva UMC-1, Rotel RB-985 Mk2, Yamaha RX-V2700, Yamaha RX-V1065, Veloydne Deco speakers and Sub, M&K KX12 sub and 3 harmony One's and a Harmony 885.

My speaker choice is driven my three small kids that would destroy any other speaker that was not wall mounted. In fact one of them has been caught using them as a climbing wall. :steam:

My littlest likes to climb on top of my monolith just now :spank: , but seriously I am struggling to get him to stop as he thinks it is a game.

My main listening/watching is films but I do love it when I get a hour on my own to put some music on, Rush, Jethro Tull, etc.

Actually they all just went out so must dash and put some loud Rush on.;)

synsei
21-09-2012, 17:31
Nothing inferior there Colin although there is always room for improvement in any system ;)

Great handle by the way, a fan of the movie, eh? It's one of my faves too :)

Darkstar_Surfer
21-09-2012, 18:45
That should be my moto "Always room for improvement".

As it happens I am considering an upgrade to a Classes SSP30 MKii.:D

synsei
21-09-2012, 18:57
You won't regret it :)

Although my Classe DR5 is a few years old now it is easily the best pre-amp I have heard to date, and I've heard some good'uns. It melds really well with the little Amptastic Mini-T and B&W DM2's. I'd like to listen to a DR10 power amp sometime as I've heard the DR5/DR10 combo is a bit special :)

Darkstar_Surfer
21-09-2012, 19:13
Jus remembered some more of my kit list.

Arcam CD72, Pionner 868, M&K k15 pair & K17 centre.

All in our bedroom.

Also I have a DVDO VP30 in a box.

synsei
21-09-2012, 19:16
Aha, I have a CD72 too and quite the performer it is. I actually prefer it driving directly into my pre rather than through the DAC as it has a gorgeous, analogue sound comparable to that which can be heard from vinyl.

Darkstar_Surfer
21-09-2012, 19:36
It took me a while to find the Arcams better but I believe i found it in my Oppo 95. Still is my second oldest bit of kit not in the loft. The oldest is my Rega Planer 3. Must be love 25 years with me and I still love digging the vinyl out for a blast from thast, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Rush.

synsei
21-09-2012, 19:44
I've heard an Oppo 95 and they are very special and worth every penny, way out of my price range though. I paid 70 quid for my CD72 just over 18 months ago and it was a huge step up from my old NAD CD524. Unfortunately the CD72 didn't come with its remote and they are as rare as rocking horse poo secondhand... :eyebrows:

Darkstar_Surfer
21-09-2012, 20:13
Never used my Arcam CD72 remote as I have always had universal remotes, the latest being the Harmony One.

My little one just came in saying why, why, why. Which reminded me of a song by Alex Harvey, must listen to "Next" again

julesd68
21-09-2012, 21:03
Actually they all just went out so must dash and put some loud Rush on.;)

Top man :youtheman:

Have you heard their latest effort?
I listened to a couple of tracks on YouTube and it did nothing for me at all ...

Bought a mint vinyl copy of Rainbow "On stage" recently - can't wait to get my power amp really hot with that one ...

Darkstar_Surfer
21-09-2012, 22:38
Top man :youtheman:

Have you heard their latest effort?
I listened to a couple of tracks on YouTube and it did nothing for me at all ...

I pre-ordered the CD so I would get it day one. I like a few tracks but a couple will take some getting used to. They keep experimenting which is great and some times I love it and some times I just listen and wonder,

The daughter asked me to put on Katty Perry earlier and then disappeared but while I was scrolling through my Music on my NAS looking for it I stopped on Led Zeppelin so put on Misty Mountain Instead,

PLINIUS
22-09-2012, 07:40
Welcome Colin, nice to have you with us.

Darkstar_Surfer
22-09-2012, 08:18
I am just about to head over to the National Audio show at Whittlebury Hall (http://www.chestergroup.org/shows/national-audio-show-12). I will be easy to spot as I am a Rush fan. ;)