21-09-2012, 10:51
Hello

I have a i Mac 24" with Itunes and Spotify

The i Mac has USB and optical connections

The Beresford has 4 digital inputs

1 coaxial
2 coaxial
3 optical
4 USB , ( its a square type plug rather than a long flat type USB )

How do I connect the 2 together , Optically or using USB connections

In the Beresford instructions it says

" The USB inputs accepts a B type male USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 connector

use a USB B-to-A cable to connect the Caiman directly to a computer USB 2.0 output

So do I use USB or optical ?

What is optical for ? I haven't a clue :scratch:

Stratmangler
21-09-2012, 11:06
Use the optical out from the iMac and you can send 24/96 files to the DAC.

Martinh
21-09-2012, 11:07
Hi Allen,

You have a few options - optical or USB.

Optical out sends the data via a fibre optic cable. The best optical cables are the glass ones. USB has a max cable length of 5m, I think.

The only way to see which one you prefer sound-wise, is to try them both in your setup.

If you can buy or borrow an optical and USB cable then you'll be all set to give it a go.

Maybe someone else has tried this combination? Not sure if the Beresford USB is better or worse than the optical.

roob
21-09-2012, 19:02
You need a mini toslink to regular toslink cable.
Connect the mini end to the headphone(digi out) socket on your Mac and the other end to the dac.
Prices go from £8 up to £100+

synsei
21-09-2012, 19:10
If the Beresford has a square type USB connector then it could be the same as those used on printer cables. If you have an old printer cable knocking about try it out for size ;)

Optical is the way to go though if you want to hear the best from both the iMac and Beresford. :)

Audio Al
21-09-2012, 20:31
If the Beresford has a square type USB connector then it could be the same as those used on printer cables

Indeed it is , just swiped the printer cable , Will try it out over the weekend

Going to the National Audio show tomorrow and another event Sunday , so will get it tested ASAP :)