PDA

View Full Version : Mains Cables R Us (MCRU) No. 9 Power Cable

MartinT
20-09-2012, 19:10
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8488/8222339280_c140f4f25b_b.jpg

I already use an Ultimate (MCRU's best cable) between my Power Plant regenerator and power amp, and it's an extremely good cable, giving the Chord structural potency and fine detail resolution second to no other that I have tried. And I have tried many power cables, including some very expensive ones at over a grand each. The Ultimate beats all-comers. Once in place I started scouting around for something much more flexible than the extremely rigid Ultimate in order to feed the rest of my components, but hopefully not losing much or anything in the way of sound quality. Technology was immaterial as I have long known that there is a much less obvious preference between copper and silver in mains cables. Construction and shielding seem to be much more important, as well as good connectors.

Enter the MCRU No. 9 cable. It is equally as thick as the Ultimate but very flexible, featuring massive 4mm stranded cores and very good shielding. David understandably keeps quiet about its exact construction, but I can say that the workmanship and quality of finish is very high. I have two samples: one with an MK silver plated plug and the other with a Furutech rhodium plug, both furnished with a Furutech fuse. They are fitted with IeGO silver plated IECs at the other end. These latter are very good plugs, as I have experienced from using several dotted around my system.

I evaluated the No. 9 versus Kimber Powerkord and High Current Powerkord, Connex Audio silver and double-core silver, Tellurium Q Black & Blue, as well as an Ultimate. I fed mainly the Pass preamp, Whest phono preamp and Ayre SACD player. The results are consistent wherever I have used it, varying only in the amount of 'goodness' imparted to the sound. Remember that cables can only be subtractive, so when I speak of good characteristics what I really mean is that they subtract less.

The No. 9 has the same characteristic that I so like so much in the Ultimate: it reduces the noise floor by a significant factor compared with other cables. So much so that the soundstage is better defined, music explodes from the resultant blackness and dynamics are more vivid. Fine detail is very evident and, something that has previously surprised me with top quality power cables, the extension and sweetness of the treble is immediately noticeable. In fact, I am really impressed with how the Ultimate and No. 9 remove any last remnant of harshness or edginess from a system’s sound, but not by any rolling off of the treble frequencies. It’s very satisfying to hear such detail retrieval yet not be presented with an edgy sound in the manner of some cheap silver cables. This is the quality of MCRU’s cables shining through and there are no shortcuts to this level of sound, I’m afraid.

The effect of using these cables is cumulative and so far all my source components – phono preamp, main preamp, turntable, SACD player – have shown significant improvement. It also gives the lie to the notion that regenerated power does not need good quality cables. Quite the opposite, it allows you more easily to hear their differences.

My old Kimber cables have stood me in good stead for the best part of 20 years, but they really are well and truly outclassed now. Once leading the light for proper mains cables in a hi-fi system, technology and understanding of a cable’s design elements have now left them behind. So too, surprisingly in view of my superb speaker cables, the TQ power cables are not up to this standard.

I like the No. 9 cable a lot; it loses little to the Ultimate, is very flexible and therefore easier to install in tight confines, and is somewhat less expensive. It represents good value for money. It even looks great!

MCRU No. 9 Cable (http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/mains-cables-/528-mcru-no-9-mains-power-cable.html)

brian2957
20-09-2012, 19:54
Excellent and informative review Martin . I've been experimenting with mains products , particularly the Furutech mains plug , and have experienced fundamental improvements to the sound of my system which I believe cannot be achieved by any other upgrades .. The No 9 mains cable is a bit out of my financial comfort zone at the moment , but I can certainly have a look at the IEC plugs . I've been awaiting your findings , so thanks for taking the time to write this.

realysm42
20-09-2012, 20:45
Good review, Martin.

All the bespoke cables in my system are from MCRU. Infact every cable in my system is lol.

When I finally go pre/power I'll be getting some more.

Marco
23-09-2012, 17:56
Excellent review, Martin, of an undoubtedly excellent product, and I'm certain a valuable alternative to the superlative Ultimate, both offering superb SPPV, at their respective price points.

Nice one, mate - enjoy the music! :guitar: :fingers:

Marco.

MartinT
23-09-2012, 18:59
Thanks, guys. As the No. 9s have burned in they have further improved. I have ordered another one and may complete the set with a final one.

MartinT
07-10-2012, 18:16
I just this evening placed the final No. 9 into my system, after a quick spray with Deoxit. This is the SACD player power cable, previously occupied by first a Russ Andrews Reference Powerkord and more recently a Connex double-core silver cable. The No. 9 brings a tad more insight than the latter, with greater soundstage presence and slightly finer detail focus. It is head and shoulders better than the Russ Andrews (all of which are now banished from the system). It helps to bring the Ayre's performance closer again to the turntable, especially pleasing with high quality classical material, of which I have hundreds.

I thought I might post an all-encompassing article on my cable selection reasons, now that I have essentially completed my project to re-cable everything with the best I could find for reasonable money. I'll do it soon.

For now, I can't recommend the MCRU No. 9 highly enough. Very good value for those who don't want to pay megabucks for a cable and who need it to remain fairly flexible while retaining high current ability.

MCRU
07-10-2012, 21:40
Hi Martin,
You probably do not remember but when we were sat in the restaurant the night before last year's wigwam pie show you said to me you were pretty much sorted for mains cables, then you spoke a word that always spurs me into action "kimber" and as you have experienced (and others have too) there are far better sounding cables for less money, glad you are a happy chappy, well until you get my bill that is :)

MartinT
07-10-2012, 21:48
Acknowledged. However, to be fair to Russ Andrews / Kimber, they were advocates of high performance mains cables some 30 years ago when most of the industry scoffed. I bought their products when they were more reasonably priced and did a good job of improving on standard 'kettle' leads. For that, I am thankful.

Sadly, their prices have risen beyond all reason but the performance hasn't.

As for the bill, don't forget my 'special' AoS discount ;)

lewis
07-10-2012, 23:37
Martin, i'm just curious if you considered the mcru no.2, which uses the same connectors as the no.9, but uses Furutechs best cable, the Alpha 3, up-occ, 11 awg cable, 4mm thick conductors? The no.9 is a silver plated cable, and according to david is second to the ultimate, but apart from that there aren't too many details. :scratch:

MartinT
08-10-2012, 05:29
No Andrew, I didn't try the No. 2. David told me that the No. 9 was second only to the Ultimate, I tried it and found it excellent. I've already tried a host of other cables, including both TQ models, so I've had enough now! The No. 9 is a very thick but flexible cable and you can see its photo in my opening post. David has recently added the No. 9 to his website, so more info there.

John
08-10-2012, 05:34
The ayre a fantastic CD player and remember how much it responded to good cables sounds like it really performing to it full potential now

MartinT
08-10-2012, 06:39
It certainly is, John. Amazing resolution of fine detail on good discs. That Russ Andrews cable was really holding it back.

lewis
08-10-2012, 06:57
No Andrew, I didn't try the No. 2. David told me that the No. 9 was second only to the Ultimate, I tried it and found it excellent. I've already tried a host of other cables, including both TQ models, so I've had enough now! The No. 9 is a very thick but flexible cable and you can see its photo in my opening post. David has recently added the No. 9 to his website, so more info there.

Ok thanks. Also, the no.2 is 20 quid cheaper! I'd still like to know what cable is inside the no.9 though, the website just says 4mm silver plated cable. I wonder if it's the Furutech alpha 3 silver plated?

MikeMusic
08-10-2012, 07:21
It certainly is, John. Amazing resolution of fine detail on good discs. That Russ Andrews cable was really holding it back.

Wow !
Looking forward to trying a no.9 on my Isis (with a 2.6 special to the PPP and the Ultimate)

MCRU
08-10-2012, 14:31
Ok thanks. Also, the no.2 is 20 quid cheaper! I'd still like to know what cable is inside the no.9 though, the website just says 4mm silver plated cable. I wonder if it's the Furutech alpha 3 silver plated?

alpha 3 is UP-OCC not silver plated, and I don't use it because it's un-shielded

does knowing what the cable is make it sound any better? no :)

you could always buy one and take it to bits as others have done :steam:

Marco
08-10-2012, 14:58

If you're referring to me, daftee, then: 'not guilty'.

When I bought my original Ultimates from you, it was you who told me that they used the Furukawa cable in question, therefore that was what prompted me to go the route I did latterly, with the 2.6mm version - and so nothing needed dismantling, because I already knew what was in it!

You might also remember that the last length you supplied me with (for powering my mains block) contained no outer sheathing, and so the cable manufacturer's details were printed in full view all along the cable...! If it was meant to be a secret, then you should've hidden it better ;)

Furthermore, anyone in the trade with a Black Rhodium account can order the Furukawa cable (it's not an exclusive MCRU product), and on AoS that means either Mark Grant or you. It therefore matters not who gets any business.

Marco.

lewis
08-10-2012, 18:33
alpha 3 is UP-OCC not silver plated, and I don't use it because it's un-shielded

does knowing what the cable is make it sound any better? no :)

Thanks for replying David. Knowing what the cable is will not make it sound any better, but it will help me decide which one to go for, and now i know the Alpha 3 is un-shielded, i'll go for the no.9! I can guarantee you that after spending nearly 400 quid on a mains cable, i will not be taking the bloody thing to bits either!

The TQ Black speaker cables i purchased from you have approx 200 hours on them now and sound amazing. :)

MCRU
08-10-2012, 21:51
Thanks for replying David. Knowing what the cable is will not make it sound any better, but it will help me decide which one to go for, and now i know the Alpha 3 is un-shielded, i'll go for the no.9! I can guarantee you that after spending nearly 400 quid on a mains cable, i will not be taking the bloody thing to bits either!

The TQ Black speaker cables i purchased from you have approx 200 hours on them now and sound amazing. :)

I found out the other day what you have experienced first hand, TQ cables need a serious amount of burn in time before they sound at their best. I was telling customers 30-40 hours but it's more like 100-200!

MartinT
09-10-2012, 05:40
I didn't find the Ultra Blacks needed that long, David. Maybe 50 hours.

MCRU
09-10-2012, 08:51
I didn't find the Ultra Blacks needed that long, David. Maybe 50 hours.

Must vary from system to system then. I put the ultras in last night and they are rather special IMO. The graphites were too good for my system. I have some graphite USB cables on the way soon so quite excited about trying those. Slightly off topic but the music server gaz built me and the m-dac via usb work very well together.

realysm42
09-10-2012, 10:27
Can you tell me what you mean by too good David?

I've got an inkling but it would be intersting to hear!

MCRU
09-10-2012, 10:38
Can you tell me what you mean by too good David?

I've got an inkling but it would be interesting to hear!

You wouldn't spend £3k on speaker cable to go into a 5k system as an example, would you?:)

MartinT
09-10-2012, 11:26
It would be interesting to know what differences you hear between the Graphites and Ultra Blacks. Not that I want to spent what the Graphites cost, but it's hard to imagine a better cable than the UBs.

MikeMusic
09-10-2012, 11:32
It would be interesting to know what differences you hear between the Graphites and Ultra Blacks. Not that I want to spent what the Graphites cost, but it's hard to imagine a better cable than the UBs.

"spent"

Hey that's past tense already !
:)

I can't imagine your system getting better but it does
I remember your old system in your old place and that was close to perfect - I thought

Gazjam
09-10-2012, 15:15
Must vary from system to system then. I put the ultras in last night and they are rather special IMO. The graphites were too good for my system. I have some graphite USB cables on the way soon so quite excited about trying those. Slightly off topic but the music server gaz built me and the m-dac via usb work very well together.

Fantastic, that's great to hear. :cool:

MartinT
09-10-2012, 15:17
Hey that's past tense already !

Oops!

MCRU
09-10-2012, 15:37
So who would like to listen to the graphite's first? Then pass them on to the next person.

MartinT
09-10-2012, 16:28
:eek: no chance before you tell me how much they are.

MCRU
09-10-2012, 18:53
http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt309/themainsman/BONI%2012-09-12/7a9dcfb9.jpg

what a thing of beauty, 3 metre pair RRP £2772.00

MartinT
09-10-2012, 19:25
Hmm, I'll wait until my lottery numbers come up, I think (says he who had Kimber speaker cables worth twice that).

Marco
09-10-2012, 19:58
You need to hear my Van den Huls... If I can make it on Saturday, I'll bring them down ;)

Marco.

MikeMusic
09-10-2012, 20:21
So who would like to listen to the graphite's first? Then pass them on to the next person.

I tried the blacks and Ultra blacks and was unimpressed.
Odd as it was just about a done deal until I listened to them
Naim - Linn oddity perhaps ?

MCRU
09-10-2012, 21:57
I tried the blacks and Ultra blacks and was unimpressed.
Odd as it was just about a done deal until I listened to them
Naim - Linn oddity perhaps ?

many people make the mistake of not listening long enough 100 hours min. I have found before they come on song, although they are not for everyone there are valid alternatives and there is one rather special cable that I have just been sent by black rhodium to test for them, just fitted some eichmann pure silver speaker plugs on and put them on my nordost cable cooker for a few days

TQ cables do show up deficiencies in people's systems far more than other cables I have found (and heard), that is a fact based on customer visits over the last 6 months, the most striking observation was the alteration in sound which some preferred, others could not get used to it even though it was better and some just sat back and smiled!

lewis
10-10-2012, 07:09
many people make the mistake of not listening long enough 100 hours min. I have found before they come on song, although they are not for everyone there are valid alternatives and there is one rather special cable that I have just been sent by black rhodium to test for them, just fitted some eichmann pure silver speaker plugs on and put them on my nordost cable cooker for a few days

TQ cables do show up deficiencies in people's systems far more than other cables I have found (and heard), that is a fact based on customer visits over the last 6 months, the most striking observation was the alteration in sound which some preferred, others could not get used to it even though it was better and some just sat back and smiled!

One of our industry 'experts', reckons every cable needs 500 hours burn-in time:eek: The TQ Blacks in my system just made everything sound more real, very musical, while bass, mid, and treble were much better than the TQ Blue i was comparing it to.

MikeMusic
10-10-2012, 07:35

Ah. I just tried them out a few times.
The Ultra was better than the Naim but only by a tiny margin.
The black sometimes slightly better sometimes worse.
Would have expected them to at least give the Naim cable a run for it's money even before burning in.
I was puggled for sure
I'll come back to speaker cables in a while
I have rather a lot going on right now - in hifi and that other thing, er oh yes , life !
:)

clap
10-10-2012, 09:45

A lot of this rings very true with me re the TQ black. I plugged them in and after about two songs thought I would be selling them. I even lined up a buyer.

Then after listening a lot more I realised that there was no hint of brghtness with the TQ black unlie the Chord Epic I had been using. I also realised that there was immense detail. I did find them a bit dry sounding though.

However, having had them in my system for months now I don't notice the dryness. I wonder if they have burnt in or whether I have just got used to them. Very good cables for the money.

lewis
10-10-2012, 23:08
A lot of this rings very true with me re the TQ black. I plugged them in and after about two songs thought I would be selling them. I even lined up a buyer.

Then after listening a lot more I realised that there was no hint of brghtness with the TQ black unlie the Chord Epic I had been using. I also realised that there was immense detail. I did find them a bit dry sounding though.

However, having had them in my system for months now I don't notice the dryness. I wonder if they have burnt in or whether I have just got used to them. Very good cables for the money.

They have burnt in.;) Makes you wonder how many have dismissed cables AND equipment because they were not fully burnt-in. Never mind, at least it keeps the classifieds busy!