PDA

View Full Version : Martin Logan Aerius - Recent Panels

diceman
20-09-2012, 08:30
For sale is a pair of Martin Logan Aerius hybrid electrostatic and moving coil bass. I suspect as good as you will find.

These have new style ESL "clear spar" panels fitted that have done very low hours (less than 6 months by my maths) and the speakers have not been plugged in to charge when not in use. New panels were £500 from Guildford Audio and a receipt will be provided. The speakers were purchased from ex Technical Director of Wharfedale who had upgraded crossover caps to decent polyprops, all old components have been retained if you really felt you wanted to put them back to standard. As they are just swapping like for like cap values the freq balance is unchanged but you get an extra level of clarity. I also have had made 10mm thick ssteel plates that will bolt to the bottom of the speakers and can be spiked to the floor, these alone weigh about 15KG each and improved stability and bass quality.

Specs from Stereophile:-
Description: Two-way, floorstanding loudspeaker. Drive-units: 37.5" H by 7.5" W electrostatic panel, 8" (203mm) pulp-cone woofer in sealed enclosure. Crossover frequency: 500Hz. Crossover slopes: second-order, 12dB/octave. Frequency response: 40Hz-20kHz !X3dB. Dispersion: 30 degrees horizontal, 38" line source vertical. Sensitivity: 89dB/W/m (2.83V). Nominal impedance: 4 ohms. Minimum impedance: greater than 2 ohms at 20kHz. Amplifier requirements: 60-200W.
Dimensions: 55.5" (1410mm) H by 10.5" (267mm) W by 13.5" (343mm) D. Weight: 55 lbs (25kg) each.

My speakers are bi-wire (cost option originally I believe) and come with real Oak side cheeks (another cost option when new).

I bought these in December 2007 and they were a very big step up from my previous ProAc/Focal.
New panels were fitted in September of 2009 and due to house renovations they were safely stored and wrapped for 6 months. (Feb 2010)
In Sep 2010 I purchased some Apogee Panel speakers and the Martin Logans were again safely stored and wrapped until last week! Having plugged these back in last week I have really enjoyed my final fling with them and I will be sorry to see them go.

Reason for sale - baby is now crawling and I dont want her to use the panels as graters for her biscuits/ sandwiches etc and they are just not getting used (oh and I have a second tatty pair in the loft!).

Pics:-

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t187/diceman200/hifi/small1-1.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t187/diceman200/hifi/small2-1.jpg
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t187/diceman200/hifi/small3-1.jpg

People talk about Martin Logans being difficult to drive, I have run these with everything from 300W pro amps down to SET 845 (18W with a strong breeze), Cyrus 2, LFD PA2, Krell KSA 50, Arcam Alpha 9, WAD KT88 push pull and Electrocompaniet Electro 25 (25W class A) and all have driven them with ease (some maybe not extracting the last bit of bass speed but driving them fine.) My preference iss for 35W of KT88 push pull that will drive them to silly levels.

These are collection only. Really very good condition. Manuals supplied but no boxes.

As these have low hours panels I would like a sensible amount for them so....

Offered at £875 - PX may be considered for really nice box speakers (ruark crusader 2/NS1000 is an itch I need to scratch) or a very nice valve pre-amp.

It pains me to sell them as I really love the clarity and spacious sound stage - even the Mrs loves them (WAF factor) compared to my Apogees and Quad 57s they are beautiful!

Sorry for jabbering. I hate selling kit I like especially after spending a load of money on them!

Speakers Located in Farnborough Hampshire/Surrey border.

diceman
24-09-2012, 08:30
bump.

diceman
03-11-2012, 11:09
Bump