PDA

View Full Version : What is this odd sound I am hearing?

The Vinyl Adventure
17-09-2012, 20:15
Odd one this ...
Just bought The XX first album on vinyl all going well until I start playing the second side ...
The first track is fantasy, if you know the album you will know the awesome sweeping bass drop ...
At this part of the track with each beat I get a sound from the right tweeter that sounds like its fluttering with the music.
I have tried my digital version and I don't get it at all... It's only with the vinyl, only this track and only the right channel!

The cart is tracking a 0.75g which is where it sounds right to me ... I thought it might not be tracking properly so I upped the weight a bit to 1.5g.
It sounds a lot more bassy and more wooly that way but the I still get the fluttering!

This is with the Philips 422 cart and 422 4 channel stylus ... But I also tried the 412 mkii stylus and still had the same sound.

Any thoughts?

Sonority
17-09-2012, 20:52
Possibly groove echo?

The Vinyl Adventure
17-09-2012, 20:57
What's that then?

Is it worth me taking it back and trying another copy?

Sonority
17-09-2012, 21:39
If it is groove echo then all copies will be the same as it's in the master pressing disc.

Google has plenty of info on it, and also the possibility that the bass note is so large / powerful and the wall of the groove so thin due to it that it's causing some other distortion that the needle is tracking?

It could, of course be a fair few other things, but if it happens with your other carts - my guess it's in the pressing.

synsei
17-09-2012, 23:05
Not sure if it is the same phenomenon you are experiencing Hamish but vinyl copies of Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds produced high levels of groove echo at the beginning of side one of the first album. When cued up, as the needle rides towards the opening bars at the end of Burton's initial dialogue one can hear the first chords of the orchestra repeatedly playing deep in the background but getting increasingly louder before they come in at full volume. Originally I was of the opinion it was where the master tape had suffered from print through however it isn't present on the CD version.

The Vinyl Adventure
17-09-2012, 23:16
I don't think this is it to be honest (cheers though :))... The bass is there in the woofer and vibrating along with it is the fluttering coming from the tweeter

synsei
17-09-2012, 23:42
Maybe the azimuth is very slightly out on your arm Hamish. IIRC your Philips cart has a sophisticated stylus profile (Shibata or Line Contact?) which could magnify such a minor discrepancy. Couple that with powerful bass notes recorded at the beginning and end of sides and it is possible that this could be the issue here. Might be worth a look ;)

p.s. I hope the above makes sense as I have been reacquainting myself with a bottle of Glenfarclas I was given for my birthday... ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
18-09-2012, 06:46
Haha...
Yeah, thought of that, experimented ... Made no odds
I couldn't be certain, but I have a feeling the problem got less as the evening went on ...
I'll have another play next time the missis is out I think, she's not that hot on the xx at te best of times so the same bit of the same track over and over again seemed to annoy her a bit ...

PLINIUS
18-09-2012, 07:27
I don't think this is it to be honest (cheers though :))... The bass is there in the woofer and vibrating along with it is the fluttering coming from the tweeter
Hamish, your arm & cartridges were never designed to tracked at .75grms, nor are they capable, even if you can't hear the mistracking the damage to your records is happening.
Increase your weight to at least 1.5grms & anti-scate to 1grm IF you are using original styli, if not, then increase the weight to at least 1.8grms.
This is not in answer to your question, just trying to save you a lot of grief.

dantheman91
18-09-2012, 18:55
Not just you pal http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?75565-XX-first-album-with-cutout-sleeve-distorted

The Vinyl Adventure
18-09-2012, 19:26
Hamish, your arm & cartridges were never designed to tracked at .75grms, nor are they capable, even if you can't hear the mistracking the damage to your records is happening.
Increase your weight to at least 1.5grms & anti-scate to 1grm IF you are using original styli, if not, then increase the weight to at least 1.8grms.
This is not in answer to your question, just trying to save you a lot of grief.

Not true ... The lower range (400/401) are designed for higher tracking force whilst the 412 and 422 are designed for 0.75 - 1.5g tracking ... Regardless, I can tell you from listening to it what its capable of and what sounds better and and that is with as low a tracking weight as my kit allows... which is 0.78g (according to my scales)
And yes, it is an original 422 stylus :) (I was looking for one on eBay for about a year!)

The Vinyl Adventure
18-09-2012, 19:29
Not just you pal http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?75565-XX-first-album-with-cutout-sleeve-distorted

Legend!
Thanks for that!!!
Can you perhaps pass on a message to the chap to say that I have been told to take it back to the shop be the chap who works there. he hasnt heard of te issue and looked on his computer I couldn't find any record (scuse the pun) of there being an issue. He is going to source me another copy and has also said if I'm still not happy I can have my money back ...
On that merit I would recomend he too takes his copy back!

dantheman91
18-09-2012, 19:42
Legend!
Thanks for that!!!
Can you perhaps pass on a message to the chap to say that I have been told to take it back to the shop be the chap who works there. he hasnt heard of te issue and looked on his computer I couldn't find any record (scuse the pun) of there being an issue. He is going to source me another copy and has also said if I'm still not happy I can have my money back ...
On that merit I would recomend he too takes his copy back!

No Problem i have sent a PM to the guy

:cool:

The Vinyl Adventure
18-09-2012, 22:01
Nice one... :)