PDA

View Full Version : Christmas is coming, which phono stage?

northwest
16-09-2012, 14:07
Yes, but my kids have started a sort of thing where they get together and buy me an "electronics project" for Christmas or birthday and this year I fancied the Graham Slee phono stage kit (MM cartridge) as it isn't an out of sight price and I think I will enjoy it. I have a Croft micro pre amp if this makes a difference.
However, there are quite a few other offerings, particularly some Chinese valve kits, has anyone had any experience or indeed do you have any reccomendations?

hifi_dave
16-09-2012, 15:41
Not much point buying a budget phono stage when you have a Micro..:scratch:

Marco
16-09-2012, 16:41
Indeed!

Graham, you'll have to aim significantly higher than that if you want to better the built-in hard-wired valve MM stage in the Micro.

What cartridge are you using? If it's an MC, buy an SUT or head amp, and it'll be job done! :)

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
16-09-2012, 17:09
How bigs your wallet??

Marco
16-09-2012, 17:21
Well, it'll take the best part of £1k to better the phono stage in the Micro, sonically - I kid you not. Do not be fooled by its relatively 'cheap' price tag! :nono:

Marco.

northwest
16-09-2012, 18:16
No, no, I am not trying to "better" anything. My boys want to buy me an electronics kit and I thought the graham Slee phono stage would be "something to do" -I have no objective or agenda.
So I just started out on a theme. I have the Cambridge 500 pre amp that mark and David suggested in the office so when I FINALLY get the Lenco finished I might put the Rega in the office and it would be nice to have a decent phono stage - something similar to the Croft "sound"

So, any suggestions? ( I am not getting rid of or replacing the Micro at any time soon).