PDA

View Full Version : FS: BK Electronics XLS200 (MKII) Forward-Firing Subwoofer

Quicky82
13-09-2012, 12:33
This is a real beast of a sub. I've used this with music only (I'm no Home Theatre-phile).

Sealed unit, 10" Peerless Driver, 275W (continuous) amp. Really really tight, deep bass.

BK make subs for other companies and their own-brand subs are really highly regarded.

Selling a load of stuff to finance new speakers (that won't require a sub). If I regret selling any of this in months to come, it will be this. I absolutely love it.

Anyway, this is also on eBay but has a ton of watchers. It will need to be picked up (it's monstrously heavy) and in the interests of a quick sale I'd be willing to let this go for £275.

Anyone considering this to hook up to a Bridge-Tied-Load (BTL) configured amp (like a lot of the Class-D modules are), will need an extra bit of kit that I got separately so I could sell this on along with the sub if necessary.

Please feel free to ask questions.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55878202/Sub/sub1.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55878202/Sub/sub2.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55878202/Sub/sub3.jpg

morris_minor
13-09-2012, 22:40
I use a BK XLS300PR sub and love it. . . .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quicky82
14-09-2012, 13:10
Ah that's the one with a driver and a passive radiator in the same sub? I've never heard that one but was tempted by that when I bought this one originally.

Do you use it for music or home cinema?

They are great subs, very solidly built. I've always wanted to hear a BK Monolith just to see what they can do!

Reid Malenfant
14-09-2012, 17:51
Good luck with the sale Adam :)

This sub uses the Peerless XLS10 driver, just google the thing & you'll see how well suited this is to making a quality small but powerful sub ;)

& I kid you not, as I bought four XLS10 myself :cool:

morris_minor
14-09-2012, 17:53
Ah that's the one with a driver and a passive radiator in the same sub? I've never heard that one but was tempted by that when I bought this one originally.

Do you use it for music or home cinema?

They are great subs, very solidly built. I've always wanted to hear a BK Monolith just to see what they can do!

Up until very recently I used it for both. My AV system has a Sugden Headmaster preamp feeding it with output from a TT and a Transporter. So a minimal headphone setup and ok speaker setup. I was using some AVI Neutron 5s with the BK sub, and it worked pretty well for music, and very well for movies: the sub can certainly shift some air when called for :D

My office system has turned into my main stereo setup, having got amongst other stuff some active Harbeth monitors. These spoilt me for music playback! I'd never quite got the sub integration spot on for music so took the view a while ago to turn my AV system into a stereo system with a bit of AV on the side (I'm not a huge movie buff, and my kids will like anything loud and low!).

To this end I recently got a pair of PMC GB1i floorstanders. For music I use these "direct" without the sub. The plan is to replace the Onkyo AV amp with an AV preamp and monoblocks and use the sub for movies, TV and Xbox.

So although I won't be using the sub for music, it'll still do me well. I have it hiding beside the sofa, out of sight unless you look for it, and visitors have often remarked how well my "little speakers" do bass. Organ music can sound spectacular . . .

So I'll put my Neutrons up for sale at some point - but the sub stays!

Quicky82
15-09-2012, 20:06
Haha yeah, they're so versatile. Really great units. I'm hoping I don't regret selling it!

Reid Malenfant: Yeah you can tell it's a really high-quality driver. What are you using 4 of them for?! Something monstrous no doubt!

Reid Malenfant
15-09-2012, 20:14
Two will be used in a centre speaker 20 - 110Hz with an ABR (for AV, SACD surround etc), the other two will be used for left & right surround 20 - 110Hz, again with ABRs :)

Just don't ask what I'll be using for bass on the front left & right channels which will service both stereo & AV duties :eyebrows:

Quicky82
15-09-2012, 20:25
That sounds like a mad plan - I like it!

You'll have to post pics when it's done :D

Reid Malenfant
15-09-2012, 20:26
Oh I will, never fear :eek:

Meanwhile some buy this chaps sub! You won't get anything cleaner or near the output for the money!

The damn XLS10 drivers cost over half of what he's asking on there own :eyebrows:

I wasn't kidding! (http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/peerless-xls-830452-669-p.asp)

Quicky82
21-09-2012, 14:31
This has now sold.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!