PDA

View Full Version : Little sings that mean so much......

the engine
12-09-2012, 23:30
I met my wife at a 'sex pistols 'concert..she was an 18 year old punkette ....my first ever gig was Alice Cooper's 'welcome to my nightmare' tour at Liverpool Empire 1974..or 5..
My daughter first slept a full night after me rocking her to sleep to U2's Pride/in the name of love.
C'mon , let's have those moments people.........

Audio Al
13-09-2012, 03:32
The one thing that I always remember is the first record I ever purchased

With my first ever weeks pay :)

Fire , by , The Crazy world of Arthur Brown :eyebrows:

Boy did that record get played :D Well it was the only one I had :lol:

synsei
13-09-2012, 03:37
I first met my lovely lady in a virtual city called Borealis during an alien attack, when she waded in to save my arse after I got hammered by an advance alien scouting party outside the city gates just over four years ago. We met in person a year later and fell in love. The rest, as they say, is history :D

I was privileged enough to witness the most amazing bolide meteor during the summer of 1978. It was dusk and I was out on the Kent marshes walking my dog around 2 miles west of the Isle Of Grain power station, when I noticed a bright point of light to the north rising above Southend on the other side of the Thames Estuary. As I watched, this thing appeared to gradually climb up into the sky (an optical illusion of course) and it then began to develop the most amazing tail, full of brilliant and beautiful colours; ruby reds, emerald greens, electric blues and brilliant violet, it was stunning to behold. Unlike your normal common or garden shooting star, this thing took about 15 to 20 seconds to swing right over my head from the northern to southern horizon where it dipped down out of sight behind the North Downs, way beyond the River Medway. Several seconds after it passed and swung away to the south I could clearly hear the sound of it ripping through the atmosphere. It was a distant crackling sound like that which can be heard issuing from a woodburning fire, with a thud somewhere in the middle of it, which I like to believe was a sonic boom. It was one of the most eerie and stunning things I have ever witnessed and it left me in a state of absolute awe. I was 15 years old at the time... :D

Puffin
13-09-2012, 05:52
We met in person three years later and fell in love

I am glad I re-read your post as I initially read "prison" for person...too early for me:lol:

synsei
13-09-2012, 06:15
I am glad I re-read your post as I initially read "prison" for person...too early for me:lol:
:rfl:

RichB
13-09-2012, 08:53
The first record I ever bought was Pink Floyd's -Another Brick in the wall 7" single from a local record shop 'the pop-inn'. I'd have been 7 years old and drove my parents mad with the constant singing of the 'we dont need no education' chorus to such an extent that my mum got one of the big lads from over the road to take me to the shopping centre and get the bairn 'that ruddy record!'

I can remember going into the shop and being amazed at the displays of picture and coloured vinyl they had up and all the big kids hanging around smoking and bothering the kindly shop assistant. From that point on I was officially a music addict and my love of the floyd endures to this day. That song had a big impact.

When I was 17 years old I lost a old friend in a motorcycle accident, he was a punk and at the funeral they played 'Nellie the elephant' by the Toy Dolls (a local band he loved). Although its a joke song it still has a funny effect on me as I remember him and how we used to pogo around his bedroom as kids.

Puffin
13-09-2012, 12:06
My first purchases were at the age of 11. Clapham Junction and surrounding areas were rich in record stores, both for new and what they called deletions. I bought Sittin' On The Dock of The Bay - Otis Redding and Soul Man - Sam & Dave on 7", that sadly was the slippery slope to amassing nearly 2000 7"s!

London was a fab place to be in the 70s. I worked in Westminster, which gave me lunchtime acces to Victoria Street or a bus ride to Oxford St and Tottenham Court Road. It was a veritable feast.

I was heavily into Soul, Jazz-Funk and Fusion. Blues and Soul mag had a shop in Hanway St just off Oxford St. It was to me like entering an alladin's cave of all things wonderful in the way of Imports and new releases that you could not get anywihere else. Most of my money went on 45s (apart from clothes from Kings Road - yes I was a bit of a fashionista in those days) (forward 40 years and I am happy with a £3 pair of Asda jeans!!! - what happened?)

Victoria St had a One Stop Records store which was really good and you could always spend a good 20 mins listening to what you wanted. No pressure to buy.

Aaah those were the days.