PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 58: 12.09.2012 - Eels - Souljacker (2001)

WAD62
12-09-2012, 18:42
http://www.albumoftheyear.org/album/covers/souljacker.jpg
http://open.spotify.com/album/2DdQxcE72XdWxX4afkAdQI

My favourite Eels album, for once 'E' is not overly introspective...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souljacker

...an eclectic mix of buzz saw guitars, hip hop, folk, blues, indie, & funk...with some excellent lyrics.

PNEVbhqkKhY

Doh! How do I set up voting Alex!!!! :doh: [SORTED!]

Bazil
12-09-2012, 19:51
Hi Will, you have to set the poll up when you do the thread, its further down after the message box. I'm sure a Mod will set it up for you, and while they are at it they can edit the thread title. :D

WAD62
12-09-2012, 20:13
Hi Will, you have to set the poll up when you do the thread, its further down after the message box. I'm sure a Mod will set it up for you, and while they are at it they can edit the thread title. :D

Doh! again...:doh: Cheers Bazil, can a friendly mod please remove the 'part 1' from the thread title (the album is 'Souljacker', 'Souljacker Part 1' is a track), oh the joys of cut and paste...that'll teach me for doing things in a rush.

Oh and the poll please :doh::doh::doh:

Apologies for a crap thread...but the album makes up for it ;)

sparrow
12-09-2012, 20:26
This is a good album..I'll have a listen later..good suggestions on these threads..

Alex_UK
12-09-2012, 22:49
Oh yes - Eels - though probably my least played Eels album - (Beautiful Freak takes the most played honour) nor may favourite (that goes to Daisies of the Galaxy - if only for "Mr E's Beautiful Blues") but still great to see an Eels album nominated, and becuase it is neither the most popular nor favourite album I will look forward to spinning this one when I get home (currently on holiday. :))

The Grand Wazoo
12-09-2012, 22:54
A nice interesting choice Will - I've owned it since it's release and I'm like Alex in that I prefer some of the other albums. Looking forward to finding out why it's 'the one' for you!

Cheers

WAD62
13-09-2012, 07:08
A nice interesting choice Will - I've owned it since it's release and I'm like Alex in that I prefer some of the other albums. Looking forward to finding out why it's 'the one' for you!

Cheers

I think for me, along perhaps with 'Electroshock Blues' it's Eels' most musically ambitious album, I did consider 'Electroshock Blues' and although I love it, it does have a couple of 'filler' tracks...whereas I feel Souljacker is excellent from start to finish. It's also the Eels tour I enjoyed the most...probably because it's a bit rockier than their usual stuff.

I also love 'E's dark sense of humour on these less introspective tracks, it's as if he's written a homage to the National Enquirer...the line from 'Dog Faced Boy'...'Ma won't shave you, Jesus can't save you...dog faced boy!'

P.S. Thanks for sorting out the title and Vote chaps...I was a bit rushed yesterday :)

Bazil
13-09-2012, 16:54
Not heard an Eels album before and i really enjoyed it. Very listenable right through with a couple of stand out tracks. 8/10.

RichB
15-09-2012, 10:13
This album definately grows on you, my first impressions were 6... not bad but then not really grabbed by it.

Then i gave it another spin and now I get it, an 8. The Eels were never one of my fav acts but I do tend to go for E's more introspective stuff.

Am I the only the person who liked 'lights and revelations' ?

keiths
15-09-2012, 14:41
I didn't think I was going to like this too much after playing the first track, but it started to grow on me. I've played it through twice now and some tracks are starting to stand out.

Another couple of listens before I vote methinks.

WAD62
15-09-2012, 19:03
Then i gave it another spin and now I get it, an 8. The Eels were never one of my fav acts but I do tend to go for E's more introspective stuff.

Am I the only the person who liked 'lights and revelations' ?

I'm pretty keen on all their/his stuff, 'lights & revelations' being no exception...have you seen the documentary he made about his father, which is pretty much the subject matter of that album, very interesting :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Everett_III

Reid Malenfant
15-09-2012, 19:09
I'll have to check this out... Just thought I'd let you know Will, I have nearly every Stars Of The Lid release & very good they are to :D

Cheers for the introduction & apologies for the slight :brainfart:

I just don't see you about often enough to thank you :)

WAD62
15-09-2012, 19:17
I'll have to check this out... Just thought I'd let you know Will, I have nearly every Stars Of The Lid release & very good they are to :D

Cheers for the introduction & apologies for the slight :brainfart:

I just don't see you about often enough to thank you :)

...likewise Mark for Sleep Research... by the way I'm buying everything I can by Loscils, superb...;)

MartinT
15-09-2012, 21:22
I've been listening to it on Spotify, Will. I need to give it another run through and will then comment.

johnB
17-09-2012, 20:54
This is one of the best albums from a Top 5 band for me.....saw them play The Other Stage on Sunday Afternoon at the lat Glastonbury....they did Fresh Feeling and Souljacker Pt1 from this album.......
the first half dozen Eels albums have never been rereleased on vinyl(Beautiful Freak through to Blinking Lights) and the original vinyl sells for ridiculous amounts on Ebay.....good choice Will.

Cheers John

WAD62
18-09-2012, 08:34
This is one of the best albums from a Top 5 band for me.....saw them play The Other Stage on Sunday Afternoon at the lat Glastonbury....they did Fresh Feeling and Souljacker Pt1 from this album.......
the first half dozen Eels albums have never been rereleased on vinyl(Beautiful Freak through to Blinking Lights) and the original vinyl sells for ridiculous amounts on Ebay.....good choice Will.

Cheers John

I was trying to track down that set from the BBC glasto archives, it was superb, both musically and visually...more beards than you could shake a stick at!!!

But unfortunately it looks like they've only kept the 'rubbish' acts from that year...good old BBC :doh:

keiths
18-09-2012, 18:25
OK, played it four or five times now and rather like it. 7/10.

MartinT
20-09-2012, 17:11
Yes, I like the feel of this album, too. Are the other albums similar? 7/10.

The Grand Wazoo
21-09-2012, 06:59
I've given it a 6 - I've had this album since it's release but barely ever listen to it these days. I seemed to recall it as rather dense and depressing. However, it's much better than I remembered, so I'll be playing it again over the next few weeks.

WAD62
21-09-2012, 07:05
Yes, I like the feel of this album, too. Are the other albums similar? 7/10.

I would say that Souljacker is probably the most 'up tempo' album, perhaps 'Electroshock Blues' comes closest in style...although like most of his other stuff it's fairly autobiographical.

Other highlights for me include 'Blinking Lights & Other Revelations' which is a double CD (based mostly around his difficult relationship with his father), and 'Hombre Lobo' which is really stripped back almost country/blues stuff...very raw.

Barry
26-10-2012, 01:25
Now this is what the Album Club is all about! Totally new to me - based on the single Youtube track I love it. 8/10