PDA

View Full Version : Building cheap system for elderly parents...Some stuff needed.

Gazjam
12-09-2012, 08:16
After a recent visit to mine the folks appreciate the benefits of a proper system over the plugin Bush radio/cassette/cd player plugged in the kitchen.
I suggested I try to get them something small and cheap but sounding pretty good for the cash.

To get...

CD Player
Amp
speaker cable (3m)
Cassette Deck
radio of some kind
small bookshelf speakers

*EDIT*

First reaction was to pick up an Amptastic MiniT but thinking about it the MiniT only has one input, which probably isn't ideal.
Better to look for an amp with multiple inputs.
As the folks currently use a wee Bush plugin cd/radio thing in the kitchen, they wouldn't be bothered not having the "valve like" qualities of the Mini T! :)

Think along the lines of a cheap student first system?
Putting a shout out to see what you guys have available for sale.

cheers.
Gaz.

Wakefield Turntables
12-09-2012, 08:38
My nakamichi cassette deck is up for sale if your interested. AND IT'S GOING CHEAP!!

Wakefield Turntables
12-09-2012, 08:38
I also have a sansui tu217 tuner going dirt cheap as well:eyebrows:

Gazjam
12-09-2012, 08:47
My nakamichi cassette deck is up for sale if your interested. AND IT'S GOING CHEAP!!

Do tell mate, what Nak you got?

RichB
12-09-2012, 08:54
I might be interested in that Nak if Gaz doesnt go for it... Dont mean to drift the thread and apologise if you've had it in the private exhibitions but I havent seen it.

Audio Al
12-09-2012, 09:25
Do tell mate, what Nak you got?

Its listed on the topic post number 4

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20100

:)

Canetoad
12-09-2012, 09:35
Gaz, I have a Technics CD player in the loft and a set of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers I was thinking of getting rid off. PM me and we can discuss a price. :)

Gazjam
12-09-2012, 09:51

Hi Andrew,
The Nak is a great buy at the price, but the folks just need something to play back their old tapes on. :)
Its probably a bit needlessly complicated for them and will find a better home with Richard (RichB) if he's up for it.

The Tuner looks cool - retro!
Again, like to keep it simple though, so looking for a digital tuner rather than the old school analogue.
(VU meters on a tuner..mad!)

thanks for the offer though mate.

The Black Adder
12-09-2012, 10:16
Find a nice radiogram.. :)

wiicrackpot
12-09-2012, 10:33
Gaz,

Find a Linn Classik, all in one solution,compact and nice & simple to use, £250.00'ish should snatch you one.

Shame you didn't post this earlier, just sold my metal baffled Goodmans Kan look alikes and Maxim mk1's
or else you would've been welcome to the former for what i paid for it £30.00 before i sourced new tweeters for it. :doh:

Gazjam
12-09-2012, 11:02
Find a nice radiogram.. :)

vintage!

Gazjam
12-09-2012, 11:04
Gaz,

Find a Linn Classik, all in one solution,compact and nice & simple to use, £250.00'ish should snatch you one.

Shame you didn't post this earlier, just sold my metal baffled Goodmans Kan look alikes and Maxim mk1's
or else you would've been welcome to the former for what i paid for it £30.00 before i sourced new tweeters for it. :doh:

Pity, just the way the jobbie splatters Andy :)

wiicrackpot
12-09-2012, 11:33
Pity, just the way the jobbie splatters Andy :)
Eeee..... thats filthy but i like it, :D one for my vocabulary mate.

Yes, a pity, i came across some big speakers for peanuts so moved on my standmounters,
only kept my wee Beovox 2200 for tv work,deep down i'm a big speaker guy. :)

julesd68
12-09-2012, 13:42
Gaz,

You can put a full system together very cheaply from the following two sites -

http://www.usedhifishop.co.uk/
http://www.greenhomeshop.co.uk/shop/

They are both run by the same people - the first one is more "audiophile" and the second one is more basic, but still "proper" kit.

I have found their service excellent in the past.

cheers.

loosend
12-09-2012, 15:10
What's the budget here mate?

Ali Tait
12-09-2012, 15:53
Got an Arcam CD62 in silver I'd part with if you don't take Bernie's offer up mate.

The Grand Wazoo
12-09-2012, 17:36
They are both run by the same people

Dave - who's a member here. Dave's to be recommended to anyone looking for a system like this - I've sent a lot of people over to him and they've all come away happy.

RichB
12-09-2012, 23:11
On a side note a deal has been done for Andrews Nak deck. very exciting, its been at least 15 years since i owned tapes. I'll be using it with my A400, Mission 760s, a yamaha cdp i have spare and my technics SL1800... a proper retro system.

Gazjam
13-09-2012, 06:01
On a side note a deal has been done for Andrews Nak deck. very exciting, its been at least 15 years since i owned tapes. I'll be using it with my A400, Mission 760s, a yamaha cdp i have spare and my technics SL1800... a proper retro system.

Enjoy the Nak Rich, something to be said for pride of ownership as one of the benefits of this mad hobby of ours...
Had the A400/760 combination myself, but with a Rotel 965 cdp and it was a cracking system.
My Brother still runs it every day.

On a side side note, spoke with the folks last night and they have decided to take a rain check on the stereo for a few weeks until they come back from holiday.
Thanks for the interest guys. I'll pop back in a few weeks when the folks are back from holiday.

gaz.

Gazjam
13-09-2012, 13:42

MikeMusic
13-09-2012, 14:30
After a recent visit to mine the folks appreciate the benefits of a proper system over the plugin Bush radio/cassette/cd player plugged in the kitchen.
I suggested I try to get them something small and cheap but sounding pretty good for the cash.

To get...

CD Player
Amp
speaker cable (3m)
Cassette Deck
radio of some kind
small bookshelf speakers

I have some unknown speaker stands that are yours for the cost of shipping, £10-15 I guess.
If I can get my camera to work I can take pics

Gazjam
13-09-2012, 14:34
Cheers Mike,
hanging fire on it for now though till the folks get back from their holibags.

MikeMusic
13-09-2012, 14:38
Cheers Mike,
hanging fire on it for now though till the folks get back from their holibags.

They aren't going anywhere soon
:)
Let me know

rwacka
14-09-2012, 08:40
Very nice condition Trio KA-2000 amp - small footprint, plenty of grunt and a pair of Celestion Ditton 11s in excellent condition?

Gazjam
14-09-2012, 13:52
Ive got everything i need guys, thanks for the interest. :)