PDA

View Full Version : Modded 7520 versus Bushmaster?

phoenixpete
07-09-2012, 11:21
Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question:doh:

I recently bought a modded 7520 and am very pleased with it, it just has much more to give over the Dacmagic azur I was using.

By the way the 7520 is the one "hifiman" on here sold me. It has the Gator mod and silmic mod plus the 15volt power supply.
Now I really do like the 7520 and will never part with it but I keep wondering wether a Bushmaster would outperform a 7520 modded as much as mine is.

I bought the 7520 to mainly try it as a pre amp and it works very well like that but it limits me to a single source, so I will probably go back to my pre amp, so I am now thinking maybe a Bushmaster could be used in the main system with the 7520 on my second system?

I suppose what I mean is which of the two dacs is the best:doh:

NRG
07-09-2012, 11:43
The best? Only you can answer that, it's like asking how long is a piece of string? ;)

StanleyB
07-09-2012, 12:02
The word "best" can mean different things to different people ;). I designed the Bushmaster to be as neutral as possible, which is why I opted for a direct audio output path from the DAC chip. So there are no extra bass or treble heights, or forward midrange. The audio frequency response at -3dB and 0dB are dead straight lines from 1Hz to 20KHz (which are the limits of the test markers on both my Sony and Technics engineers calibration discs).
Unfortunately, having read numerous comments from DAC users on the various forums, it's the abnormal bass, midrange and treble performance that most listeners get attracted by. That's why I commented on your use of the word "best".

Signal separation is also superior on the Bushmaster. So if you have several musicians playing a similar type of instrument, you are able to count the number of musicians in most cases. Not an easy feat to achieve, and certainly one of the downfalls many DACs suffer from, irrespective of price.
Clean dynamic range and realistic vocal frequency reproduction are also superior on the BM compared to the TC-7520.

phoenixpete
07-09-2012, 12:20
The best? Only you can answer that, it's like asking how long is a piece of string? ;)

I did think "best" was probably not the "best" word for what I was trying to ask :D
I suppose what I meant was in your opinions which would be superior, a modded 7520 or a standard 7530?
I know it is mostly subjective and everyone hears differently, but only looking for opinions really.

As for string I always say the length of a piece of string is entirely dependant on where it is cut. ;)

phoenixpete
07-09-2012, 12:30
The word "best" can mean different things to different people ;). I designed the Bushmaster to be as neutral as possible, which is why I opted for a direct audio output path from the DAC chip. So there are no extra bass or treble heights, or forward midrange. The audio frequency response at -3dB and 0dB are dead straight lines from 1Hz to 20KHz (which are the limits of the test markers on both my Sony and Technics engineers calibration discs).
Unfortunately, having read numerous comments from DAC users on the various forums, it's the abnormal bass, midrange and treble performance that most listeners get attracted by. That's why I commented on your use of the word "best".

Signal separation is also superior on the Bushmaster. So if you have several musicians playing a similar type of instrument, you are able to count the number of musicians in most cases. Not an easy feat to achieve, and certainly one of the downfalls many DACs suffer from, irrespective of price.
Clean dynamic range and realistic vocal frequency reproduction are also superior on the BM compared to the TC-7520.

Thanks for the thorough explanation Stan.

I guess I am just trying to see if I am justified in buying another dac really.

Dac technology seems to be progressing at a very fast rate and doesn't look like settling down any time soon.

The Bushmaster is obviously your latest version of a great product line and there are bound to be improvements over older models but I just wondered if the upgrades done on my 7520 make it more up to date with the latest technology or not.
I wonder wether signal seperation has improved on my modded 7520 or if this is not achievable with the 7520, having never heard a standard 7520.

I suppose the only way I am really going to know is to buy the Bushmaster and hear for myself :D

At the price it is very tempting.

Is there any Aos discount Stan?

NRG
07-09-2012, 13:15
From my own experience, the BM was a positive change for me moving from a modified Caimen. To my ears it sounds more natural with better separation as Stan said and with greater texture. However, it may not suit...no opamps in the output means it will be different, you may like it you may not... and this post really doesn't help does it! :doh:

phoenixpete
07-09-2012, 13:23
From my own experience, the BM was a positive change for me moving from a modified Caimen. To my ears it sounds more natural with better separation as Stan said and with greater texture. However, it may not suit...no opamps in the output means it will be different, you may like it you may not... and this post really doesn't help does it! :doh:

I value all opinions Neal so don't worry :cool:

I realise there is not going to be a yes or no answer, just nice to see what people think.
No opamps, I hadn't realised that.

:cool:

Cans
19-11-2012, 14:38
I have had a gatorised Caiman and , to my ears, the Bushmaster sounds so much more what I'm looking for, in the way that the Caiman was a great introduction , but that this is the real deal

Gazjam
19-11-2012, 14:54
Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question:doh:

I recently bought a modded 7520 and am very pleased with it, it just has much more to give over the Dacmagic azur I was using.

By the way the 7520 is the one "hifiman" on here sold me. It has the Gator mod and silmic mod plus the 15volt power supply.
Now I really do like the 7520 and will never part with it but I keep wondering wether a Bushmaster would outperform a 7520 modded as much as mine is.

I bought the 7520 to mainly try it as a pre amp and it works very well like that but it limits me to a single source, so I will probably go back to my pre amp, so I am now thinking maybe a Bushmaster could be used in the main system with the 7520 on my second system?

I suppose what I mean is which of the two dacs is the best:doh:

Depends how modded your 7520 is... ;)

DSJR
19-11-2012, 15:09
DAC technology is getting cheaper for a given standard, so IMO it doesn't necessarily mean that the very best from twenty years ago is worse than today, just that the same or better can be done much more simply with significant cost savings - IMO obviously and as in all things there are exceptions (the recent Audiolabs and the numerous tweaks done to them subsequently).

Gazjam
19-11-2012, 17:31
Cant go wrong with a StanDac, of whatever flavour. :)