PDA

View Full Version : Any of you clever chaps heard of Brahms speakers?

greenhomeelectronics
14-02-2008, 20:32
I have been offeed a pair but can't find anything about them anywhere. They look like reasonably well built jobbies, the pair in question are floor standers. Can't find anything on t'internet, believe they are 1970's - the grille material looks very similar to the original Spendor stuff. If anybody knows anything about them I would be delighted to be enlightened.
Dave.

Marco
15-02-2008, 08:37
Dave,

I've moved your thread to the Blank Canvas area of the forum where it is more appropriate.

I've heard of Brahms speakers but don't know much about them. I would speak to Andre (Vinyl Grinder) about it - chances are he'll know something :)

Marco.

Filterlab
15-02-2008, 09:05
I would speak to Andre (Vinyl Grinder) about it - chances are he'll know something :)

Agreed, he's your man. :)

greenhomeelectronics
15-02-2008, 13:29
Cool, thanks guys, might wellpm him later.

Marco
15-02-2008, 13:36
By all means do, David. However it might be useful to conduct your discussion in the main forum, as others may be interested in the subject and have something relevant to contribute that may prove of interest to you :)

Marco.

Mike Reed
15-02-2008, 15:02
Sorry about this, but I do find that your mention of putting the Brahms on your Liszt an intoxicating thought.

Seriously, I remember that Pye had a speaker called the Brahms, but my memory has it that this was in the sixties (maybe early seventies?) Mind you, my memories of that period are a bit blurred, as it were.

greenhomeelectronics
15-02-2008, 22:48
Oh God, somebody had to throw in a Brahms and Liszt joke somewhere! I expect he'll be Bach in a minuet.......

I'll get me coat :-)

Still can't find anything - Everyone teels me Andre the Vinyl Grinder is the man to ask but he's got bird flu or something at the moment so I don't want to bother him.

Hope all you guys that are stricken with colds feel better soon.

Filterlab
15-02-2008, 22:56
Oh God, somebody had to throw in a Brahms and Liszt joke somewhere! I expect he'll be Bach in a minuet.......

He's popped out in his Allegro - oh I could Ravel in a joke that good!

:lol:

greenhomeelectronics
15-02-2008, 23:03
Right that's it, I'm calling the police.......

Filterlab
16-02-2008, 10:43
Right that's it, I'm calling the police.......

I'm only making a joke, no need to sting me.

:eyebrows:

Mike Reed
16-02-2008, 10:53
I think this thread is becoming a babbling Bruch and I feel a movement coming on.........Pity I'm so Bizet at the mo. doin' me Chopin.

spendorman
16-02-2008, 13:21
I have been offeed a pair but can't find anything about them anywhere. They look like reasonably well built jobbies, the pair in question are floor standers. Can't find anything on t'internet, believe they are 1970's - the grille material looks very similar to the original Spendor stuff. If anybody knows anything about them I would be delighted to be enlightened.
Dave.

Could they be Tannoy DCs in Pye cabinet, seem to vagely remember something like this.

Vinyl Grinder
16-02-2008, 14:21
Dave.

Hi Dave
Bells are ringing in my head but don't seem to remember 'Brahms' loudspeaker.If you have a pickie to Purcell my way of em, might un Ravel some brain cells.I can see why paul thinks they're Pye with relation to the Mozart amplifiers etc...But honestly my mind's gone blank! This is not good for my street cred i know..A pickie might help.

greenhomeelectronics
16-02-2008, 14:46
No, not the tantric shagging Sting variety of Police, the Constabulary Police, The ones that told me to sod off when I phoned them last night :-)
Can't think why :-)

greenhomeelectronics
18-02-2008, 20:58
Sounds like they may be Pye in the sky. Sorry. I should be getting them on Wednesday will take a piccie and post it.
I will have a look see if I can see what units are inside them as well. watch this space.....

greenhomeelectronics
22-02-2008, 18:09
Right, well I got the speakers today, they came in their original boxes which gave more info. They are Brahms Buckingham's. Brahms appear to have been based at Rochester airport in Kent. The cabinets looked really nice but the bass driver foam surrounds have all gone. The cabs are lined with foam and appear to be well made but the drivers all look like they were made in a toy factory, might explain why the company has disappeared in to oblivion. I don't think they are worth repairing, which is a shame as the cabinets do look pretty decent. I might have a dig around my extensive speaker collection and see if I have some drivers to put in there if I get bored.
So now you know, thanks to all those that responded, even the ones with the crap puns :-)

spendorman
01-03-2008, 15:31
Even though the drive unnits look like "they were made in a toy factory" what about some pics.

Some early Elacs and Celestions look like that, but sound quite nice.

greenhomeelectronics
02-03-2008, 10:01
Spendorman, I had to pass them on quickly, my workshop is piled to the ceiling at the moment so I am having to move some stuff on as quick as possible.
Dave.

spendorman
02-03-2008, 10:06
Hi Dave, I know the feeling. There must be a magnetic hot spot here, so many speakers!!!