PDA

View Full Version : Resistors

leo
05-02-2009, 12:48
I'm after some low noise, non magnetic low wattage resistors for signal purposes.
I've tried various types from Farnell, I know some swear these things make no difference but those magnetic Welwyn RC55 precision types added a sharpness in the highs, as did a few other standard metal fim types, the best seemed to be MRS25

Anybody know of any which sound decent and easily obtainable in small quantities ?

Anybody tried those Dale RN55E or PTF-56 series?

Mike
05-02-2009, 15:08
A bit expensive (and getting rare) - Shinkoh

Not so expensive - Takman

Available (among others) from: http://www.hificollective.co.uk/componentshome.html

YNWaN
05-02-2009, 18:40
I've used Shinkoh resistors in a few places in my pre-amp (in signal path) - I thought they made a small but worhwile difference.

alb
05-02-2009, 19:58
I like Kiwames because i think they are fairly vice free. I confess to having not heard the Shinkohs though. Sometimes the ordinary carbons do the job, it depends as always on the application and other things.

leo
05-02-2009, 21:14
Thank you for the recommendations guys, I'll check these out:)

I would like to try some different types in the dacs output stage FB positions too so hopefully the noise is low enough

FireFly
08-02-2009, 21:32
YAGEO carbon resistors are OK
YAGEO capacitors are NO NO

peranders
25-04-2009, 16:08
Search for bulk metal foil vishay => heavy stuff

pulsestudio
30-04-2009, 09:57
Hi Leo

The Dale RN55 0.1% series and the Vishay RC55Y 0.1% series are thought by many to be the best option available where noise and stabilty are paramount, but for me I can only agree with you and the use of these R's for signal paths, they do tend to sound a little bright and hard sounding, I have tried many alternatives and keep coming back to 0.6 Watt MRS25 1% Metal Film for all small signal work, and Metal Oxide for high power applications, I believe that the use of RN and RC high stability resistors should be reserved for use in instrumentation and measuring equipment manufacture where calibration and alignment issues are the major factor, but not for audio signals in my opinion, but others will definately disagree with me here.

Paul

Audiocom AV
30-04-2009, 12:10
Anybody know of any which sound decent and easily obtainable in small quantities ?

Hi Leo

The TX2575 naked foil type are by far the best sounding resistor I have used. Expensive yes, but they are available in relatively small quantities and Texas Instruments are very nice people to deal with.

Which values, wattage do you require? We will be placing a new order soon and I could add your parts to our order.

Mark /Audiocom

leo
03-05-2009, 16:43
Sorry I missed this Mark:doh:

I was looking for a pair of 1k5's to try in the I/V stage, what sort of prices are the TX2575
Types used in this dac have quite an influence on the sound so its a good place to compare different types

jkeny
06-05-2009, 00:27
I've heard that the resistive element in a Silonex LDR is as good as the bulk metal foil resistors for one third the price - you also get a variable resistor into the bargain - only problem is you need to run some clean current to the LED element of the LDR. Still worth an experiment if you can get hold of some easily - no need to go for the matched type. If happy with the sound you could wire them in permanently with fixed current & potted LDRs.

Audiocom AV
07-05-2009, 08:10
Sorry I missed this Mark:doh:

I was looking for a pair of 1k5's to try in the I/V stage, what sort of prices are the TX2575
Types used in this dac have quite an influence on the sound so its a good place to compare different types

Hi Leo

The TX2575 @ 0.5W work out at approx. £10.50 once shipping & customs have fees are added, price is ex-VAT.

What type of DAC is it, TDA1541A?

Best Regards,
Mark

leo
08-05-2009, 21:53
Hi Mark,

Yes, its for the AYAII dac using TDA1541A
The active stage is based around a zero feedback Transconductance amp, I'm going to mail TexasComponents to see if these resistors are suitable as I/V, some type resistors seem to work/sound better when in series of the signal rather than using them shunted to ground

I'm also trying to find the best 1nf caps I can , these go in parallel across the I/V.

I've tried a few caps already, polystyrene, Mica and various polypropylenes with quite interesting results

Both the cap and resistor type have a huge influence on the sound

Cheers,
Leo