PDA

View Full Version : Foculpod v Isonoe Feet

MartinT
05-02-2009, 01:17
I'm running a set of Foculpod sorbothane feet on my Technics SL-1210 but am tempted by the Isonoe feet sold by Origin Live. Has anyone made a direct comparison or can attest to the Isonoe's capabilities?

One possible issue with the Foculpods is that they make the deck very low slung, with the consequence that there is very little clearance under the deck and the Jelco arm cable is curved and interfering with the deck's 'float' off the rack's surface.

jonners
05-02-2009, 09:01
Martin -

I haven't tried the Isonoes but before splashing out them you could try out the method I'm using: Threaded brass cone feet screwed into the deck, with the cones resting on a thick block of wood with Foculpods underneath. Not my idea - saw it on Audiocircle I think.

John

Marco
05-02-2009, 09:40
Hi Martin,

I haven't carried out a direct comparison between the two but I can certainly attest to the capabilities of the Isonoes compared to the stock feet. The latter definitely lend a 'muddy', opaque, quality to the sound which also hampers the deck's rhythmic alacrity and 'swing'. The Isonoes completely remove that effect and make the deck sound more open and musically communicative.

The good thing about the Isonoes, too, is that they give the turntable a nice springy suspension, which I feel cushions the playing surface very effectively from vibration by adding another significant layer of isolation to the deck's already substantial properties in this area, and you can use the threaded adjustment on each foot to fine tune levelling and get this absolutely spot on.

I've never been a big fan of Sorbothane feet under equipment, as whenever I've fitted them in the past it's resulted in a duller, slightly bloated sound with curtailed dynamics. I must say though that having heard Dave's SL-1200, which is fitted with Sorbothane feet, it certainly didn't possess those characteristics. I'm sure that (on the surface at least) neither does your deck, however one wonders how it would sound without them and with something less compliant in construction, like Isonoes, in their place...if I were in your shoes that's an itch I'd have to scratch. Apart from anything else, Isonoes look much sexier! :)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
05-02-2009, 10:12
Hi Guys

Can I suggest String Suspension Concept Isolation products. They work via string being held at tension in the internals of a foot, or isolation platform. These can be placed under the case work of kit or under the feet. They even make screw in replacement feet. The company also offer Isolation platforms. I like them a lot.

Contact Bill Houston of AANVIL AUDIO, he was the UK distributor. http://www.aanvilaudio.org.uk/home2.php. Just been on his site and he has some for sale in his special offers section. He may be willing to order up what you might need. I know last time I spoke to him, back in AUG last year he was doing special orders.

The Link below is to an Italian company that does SSC the translations not that good....Marco can no doubt read the Italian.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.digitaleextraterrestre.org/page36.php&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=5&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dstring%2Bsuspension%2Bconcept%26start %3D10%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26sa%3DN

And the official SSC page link below.

http://www.hifi-ssc.com/english_web/index.html

Regards D S D L-----Neil :)

chris@panteg
05-02-2009, 10:28
I use the Isonoe feet, but i also have 2 sets of foculpods might be interesting to do an A/B but i really like the Isonoe's.

MartinT
05-02-2009, 11:23
Chris - did you try the Foculpods in the Technics at any time?

MartinT
05-02-2009, 11:32
if I were in your shoes that's an itch I'd have to scratch

Damn, I had to scratch! I've ordered a set of Isonoes from Origin Live and will report back on a shootout between the two feet.

Marco
05-02-2009, 11:34
I guess it could be called a 'footy' match... My money's on 'Isonoe Utd' :eyebrows:

I look forward to hearing the decision of the referee!

Marco.

chris@panteg
05-02-2009, 12:35
Chris - did you try the Foculpods in the Technics at any time?

Hi Martin

No i just haven't got round to it , to lazy:smoking:

stupinder
05-02-2009, 12:41
I've not posted on here for awhile but do keep dipping into the 1210 threads for ideas.
I looked at the isonoes but, to be honest, at the moment funds are a little errrr none existent so i'm having made, a mates got a lathe, some threaded. large, green oak cones to replace the standard feet, which will stand on a concrete block which in turn is on some bit of Ikea tat.
Bit of an experiment but it will be cheap and we shall see.

Currently I run a 1210 with a mk5 arm and a dl110. The lid of the deck has been removed as it arrived cracked in the post - -but that's another story and i'm hoping to rewire the standard arm until i can afford the modded rb250.

Peter Stockwell
05-02-2009, 13:07
I've got one of these on it's way to put under my teccie ...

http://www.rsacoustics.co.uk/swatch.htm

Thrunobalaxx made me some very nice rollerblock feet, but I wasn't fully satisfied with them, mainly because the ball bearings were not of an adequate quality. I'll be trying them again latter tho' when I can get some tighter toleranced ball bearings.

stupinder
05-02-2009, 14:19
Very nice Peter -sort of puts my concrete drain cover to shame -does the job but looks a little Soviet Bloc if you know what i mean

MartinT
05-02-2009, 14:21
The lid of the deck has been removed as it arrived cracked in the post

That's jogged my memory. I always run the Technics sans lid as I have an aversion to a resonating piece of perspex while playing. I simply never hook up the hinges when placing the lid on overnight. Do others here do the same?

Peter Stockwell
05-02-2009, 14:37
Very nice Peter -sort of puts my concrete drain cover to shame -does the job but looks a little Soviet Bloc if you know what i mean

Hey, where is you at? I just noticed that you in Francia.

I used to use, back in the day, that kind of slab under speakers. Don't think the missus would go for it now.

ABout the lid, I took off the hinges and got some rubber stoppers, don't know whatto call them, so I just place the lid over the TT when not in use.

stupinder
05-02-2009, 17:36
I have a very understanding swmbo and she pretty much lets me do what i want with the HIFI. To be honest it looks ok as you barely see it with the tt on top of it- perhaps i should do some photos. The speakers also stand on, quite nice:lol:, paving slab things -i looked at inch thick marble/granite but it was beyond my means at the time.
Re the lid I do actually need to buy something as the wood burning stove kicks out fine ash when you open the front which quite frankly is a pain in the arse -I would do as you've done though and remove it whilst listening.
I'm in Brittany by the way a tiny hamlet just outside Gourin in 56 called Kerbiquet. We ran a resto for the last 3 years but jacked that in so we could have abigger listening room:)........oh and actually earn some dosh.

Peter Stockwell
05-02-2009, 17:48
I've rarely been out that way, My missus is from the south so we go to Marseille and round that way quite a bit. Restaurant is hard work, I have to think that the margins are slim. Me, I talk a lot, send e-mails and go to meetings and for the moment I get paid for it. Let's hope it continues.

cheers

stupinder
05-02-2009, 18:12
ah ha -I now talk on the phone a lot, use e mails but don't go to a lot of meetings -that was something I hated in my previous incarnation sales and marketing guru;-). Sorry to hijack the thread.
Has anyone used oak cones on a 1210 and what results did you get?

Pete
06-02-2009, 03:23
I put the heavy 1/4" thick technics rubber mat on top of the lid while playing records, just to damp out any vibrations.

I use the funk firm 5mm for the platter.

Dave Cawley
06-02-2009, 07:35
Guys

You have to analyse the SL-1200 and acknowledge its differences from other turntables. Quite simply the 4 feet threads do not connect directly to the turntable chassis, have a look! It is via the rubbery bottom, so what you might expect from feet doesn't really happen.

In my opinion the SL-1200 was never meant to be a suspended chassis, and that is what you sort of get using Isonoe feet, originally designed to stop people jarring the deck in a nightclub. The Foculpod gives more direct coupling with just a little compliance, much like some of the feet used by Clearaudio, who along with Acoustic Solid I took my inspiration from.

But it's never that simple, arms and cartridges can change everything. As I always say, because something sounds different, it may, or may not be better. I could make far more money selling Isonoe feet, but I honestly prefer the Focalpod's.

Dave

Marco
06-02-2009, 08:01
Hi Dave,

I understand what you're saying and agree, however:

But it's never that simple, arms and cartridges can change everything. As I always say, because something sounds different, it may, or may not be better. I could make far more money selling Isonoe feet, but I honestly prefer the Focalpod's

Have you actually done a direct A/B comparison in terms of ascertaining the sonic effect of both on a 1200/1210 to arrive at that conclusion?

I distinctly remember when I was at your place, and you saw the Isonoes on my deck, that you remarked on how nice they were, suggesting quite distinctly that they were a new phenomenon to you...

Anyway, I'm sure that both work well in their own way - I've just never been a fan of Foculpods and think they look cheap and tacky, sorry, mate :)

It'll be interesting to see what Martin thinks when he does the comparison...

Marco.

Dave Cawley
06-02-2009, 08:10
Tacky yes, that is the whole point!!

As for looks, well I like blonds, but wouldn't marry one.........

Dave

Marco
06-02-2009, 08:19
I thought you'd like the tacky bit ;)

You still haven't answered my question... Have you done a proper A/B comparison between both or not?

Marco.

Peter Stockwell
06-02-2009, 09:27
Why not marry a blond ?

The problem with the feet threads on the SL1200 is that they are compliantly mounted. That's what complicates using the rollerblock style footers that Thruno' made for me.

I'm looking forward to trying tacky, but I have to admit that under electronics I'm not keen on the sorbothane effect. It's one of the effects that Steve detected when he was at mine all those years ago!

MartinT
06-02-2009, 09:51
Dave

As I understand it, the Isonoe feet use sorbothane bands so surely the isolation principle is not entirely dissimilar. Tension in the Isonoe, compression in the Foculpods?

Marco
06-02-2009, 10:31
Dave,

I'll take your silence then as a 'no'... ;)

Marco.

Dave Cawley
06-02-2009, 10:55
Marco, mate! This isn't the end of the World, I'm working!!

Dave

Marco
06-02-2009, 10:58
Working? That makes a change! :eyebrows: ;)

No probs, it can be dealt with later.

Marco.

MartinT
06-02-2009, 15:05
Isonoes arrived today. I'll post a review over in Strokes of Genius.

gregdee
02-03-2010, 14:46
Isonoes arrived today. I'll post a review over in Strokes of Genius.

I know that it's not fresh thread
but I just looking for some opinions about them .

Could you post/pm some comments for me ,please ?

greg

MartinT
02-03-2010, 15:24
Hi Greg

See my short review and comments here:
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2025&highlight=Isonoe

Suffice to say that I've kept the Isonoes on my Technics and they do the job very well, giving extraordinary isolation from mechanical feedback, footfalls etc. As my deck has improved so my respect for these feet has increased and I now use the old Foculpod sorbothane feet for something else entirely.