PDA

View Full Version : Signing on

RogerRamjet
05-09-2012, 14:14
Mark here finally regularising my presence here after a while lurking.

My vinyl system consists of Wilson Benesch Full Circle with Transfiguration Aria and/or Denon DL304 into Clearaudio Balance (broken awaiting repair at the moment). For digital I rip my CDs onto a home-brew Windows Home Server streaming to various Squeezeboxes around the house. For my main system the Squeezebox digital output drives a Bryston B100SST with a built in DAC. Speakers are Anthony Gallo Ref 3.1.

My system has been pretty stable for a few years now - I tend to be more of a fit and forget guy than a box-swapping addict.

My music collection consists of a number of distinct layers like geological deposits starting with rocky, proggy stuff in the 70's moving through jazz rock, new wave, funk - in fact a bit of everything through to about ten years ago when the fossil record seems to grind to a bit of a halt. Not that I am not buying music, but most of it seems to be filling the gaps. This is odd given that I have teenage kids who ought to be keeping me in touch - but I struggle to find much contemporary music that hits the spot these days. Maybe I am exhibiting grumpy old man characteristics, but music seems to be easy come easy go these days - it is everywhere for free and surprisingly we are getting what we pay for. Discuss and all suggestions welcome!

Pleased to be here, as they say.

prestonchipfryer
05-09-2012, 15:12
Hello Mark. Welcome to the AoS.

Your point about contemporary music does concur with my thoughts. Most of it seems to be "rap" (whatever that is) and is unlistenable (to my ears).

Enjoy the forum.

John :)

RogerRamjet
05-09-2012, 16:52
Yes, rap is one genre that doesn't appeal, but even good ol' rock music doesn't seem to have the soul to connect. I have a theory that back in the old days you had to be pretty good to get your music out there - you had to persuade a record label to invest in big studio time. Now the studios are in garages and bedrooms so anyone and everyone can have a go. Result is dilution.