PDA

View Full Version : Old git from Somerset here, hello everybody peeps!

Karma Train
04-09-2012, 10:23
Been lurking around this place for a while now and thought it was about time I did the honourable thing, so hello everyone, I'm Charlie, a 57 year old musician/songwriter who's found that with increasing years, gigging is too much like hard work, whereas simply listening is far less strenuous and stressful.

I've played in bands for most of my life, the following link takes you to a reggae thing I did some twenty years ago, I'm the singer in the ludicrous strides btw....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUKkxUIp4lo

Although I always enjoyed the band thing, my real love has always been singer/songwritery, acousticy type stuff and if you can bear it, the next link takes you to a collection of songs I've written over the years (Stanley blades and a fresh box of tissues recommended)....

http://soundcloud.com/charlie-stubbings/sets/acoustic-set/

In terms of what I like to listen to, if you had a gander at my music collection you would find every style on God's earth residing there, I just like stuff that I consider to be good, especially from the songwriting point of view.

You'll find heaps of reggae in there, loads of jazz funk, oodles of World music, a healthy smidge of classic rock, cartloads of pop stuff I grew up with, a clump of Americana, a soupcon of classical etc, etc but the lion's share of shelf space is allocated to the singer songwriter fraternity.

James Taylor is my God but I grew up with him so I hope I can be forgiven, mostly I like to listen to new discoveries within that genre, people like, Josh Pyke, Passenger, Foy Vance, Ron Sexsmith, Damien Rice, Shawn Colvin etc, people who know how to write a good song which stands up with or without a massive production.

Financially speaking I've been skint most of my life and although I've been through more hi-fi gear than I could possibly remember, it's never been that esoteric or expensive being honest.

Currently my set up is a Primare D20 cdp, a Primare A20 integrated and a pair of Royd Minstrels (bless 'em!) I also have my pc wired into the amp with about 2TB of tunes stored on that, as you probably have gathered by now, music is pretty much my only reason for remaining on the Planet.

Anyhoo, that's a bit about me, hope I haven't bored you to tears and I'll look forward to having a chin wag with some of you good folks somewhere down the line.

Happy listening.

PS, my pet hate is people who advertise amplifiers on eBay and spell integrated 'intergrated', I don't care what they're selling, anyone who can't get that right doesn't deserve my flippin' money :steam:

rusty bearing
04-09-2012, 11:19
Hi charlie, well I looked at the vid and all I can say is I reckon you have a well 'intergrated' dress sense there! :)

Karma Train
04-09-2012, 11:34
That's one way of putting it Mike, I can think of lots of others which would probably get me an instant ban :) I think I still have those trousers/tights somewhere but I'd be lucky to fit my arm in them these days....sigh!

Audio Al
04-09-2012, 12:02
Hello Charlie.

All I can say is WOW , I am impressed , have listened to 2 of your Youtube clips So far and will look at the other link later as I have a few jobs to do now

A proper Musician' songwriter I am so envious , One of my life's ambitions was to play a musical instrument and after 57 years its still a ambition :(

So Welcome to AOS :)

Karma Train
04-09-2012, 12:08
Thank you for those kind words Allen, the reggae stuff is all a bit crash, bang, wallop if I'm being honest, the acoustic songs in my second link is far more my cup of tea these days, it must an age thing, plus I got hacked off with humping gear around!

Thank you so much for the warm welcome, greatly appreciated.