PDA

View Full Version : One more to swell the ranks...

Rothchild
03-09-2012, 08:36
Hi, I'm Marc from Cambridge. I've been lurking for a little while and finally deciced to sign up as this is such a great resource of a forum.

I have a fairly modest gear line-up featuring a pair of Armstrong 602 Speakers http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/Armstrong/600/600page3.html a Pro-ject Genie Mk1 TT and Yamaha AX 396 amp (not very audiofile I know, but it gets the job done! :)

I also run a small mixing studio which I do a lot of listening in (cos it's stuffed with acoustic treatment and sounds pretty good), in there I've got pair of PMC TB1s and a pair of homemade 'Killatones' http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=297 ironically these are (intentionally) very limited in their fidelity but are the speakers I ended up spending the most on (I was gifted the PMCs, and the Armstrongs were a charity shop winner).

You can hear some of the work that I've done on these speakers here: http://theponycollaboration.bandcamp.com/ and http://jacquiandgeoff.bandcamp.com/album/t-shirts-with-arrogant-slogans.

Music wise I'm pretty diverse with a strong lean to funk / soul / Motown but also loads of 'golden age' 70s rock and pop a big swathe of indie and new wave + a some electronica stuff also just recently started getting a bit more heavily in to classical.

Hopefully that's enough to get me started here? I'll see y'all on the boards :-)

synsei
03-09-2012, 09:01
Hi Marc and welcome to AoS ;)

Well, you learn something new everyday. Even though my Dad was a bit of an Armstrong fan I wasn't at all aware that they made speakers too, those 602's are gorgeous. I bet they sound good too :)

AlfaGTV
03-09-2012, 10:04
Welcome Marc!
I see some resemblance with my Celestion Ditton 44's in those speakers, perhaps more that they were products from the same era, than anything?

Enjoy AoS!

Best regards
/Mike

Macca
03-09-2012, 12:37
Welcome Marc

Those speakers do look similar to the Celestion 44 in terms of cab size and drivers but according to the text they have a bass port. Suspect they are a lot rarer than the Celestion too.

Rothchild
03-09-2012, 12:43
Thanks gents,

Yes, the Armstrong's are magnificent. I love speakers from this era, I had a pair of Warfdale's previously (possibly Dittons, can't remember now) that I really enjoyed. I also have a pair of kit built Goodmans of the same era ('Mezzo Twin') in storage, I really like infinite baffle speakers.

I actually bought the Armstrongs to canibalise for the mid-range drivers as the Goodman's use the same Seas driver for their treble but once I heard the Armstrongs I thought better of that plan! They work best with music of their own era I find, I've got Billy Joel 'Turnstiles' on 'em right now and it sounds great.

By the way, I've edited my first post so it's easier for more folk to hear The Pony Collaboration as they're also on Bandcamp.

Rothchild
03-09-2012, 12:46
Welcome Marc

Those speakers do look similar to the Celestion 44 in terms of cab size and drivers but according to the text they have a bass port. Suspect they are a lot rarer than the Celestion too.

I'll tell you what's even rarer, the stands (which, sadly, I don't have)!

DSJR
03-09-2012, 17:11
Ello and welcome :)

I sold Armstrong off and on during the "600" era and acknowledge that the 600 amp got better as the years went on, but we never to my knowledge had the speakers - I just don't remember them at all :scratch: tell you summat though - if A MacK liked them, that's praise indeed, since he was one VERY fussy man and his speaker issue of 'Choice was extremely controversial at the time because he slaughtered many popular models.

Rothchild
03-09-2012, 17:19
Ello and welcome :)
if A MacK liked them, that's praise indeed,

Thanks for the welcome.

He wasn't a character I was very well aware of but I just swotted up on him a bit, that's quite an achievement, and founding Olympic ;-) No wonder Joan Armatrading sounds so good on these boxes!:eyebrows:

Puffin
03-09-2012, 17:32
Soul and Funk eh.....:eyebrows:

Do you know Rhyme Tyme People - Kool and the Gang and Sweet Sticky Thing - The Ohio Players. Two of my faves from the 70s.

Oh and welcome.

Rob.

RobbieGong
03-09-2012, 21:23
Hi Steve, A big welcome. You're in the place to be if your serious about hifi, then there is no place like it. Good guys, good vibes, good advise and info :)
Glad your into soul, I love 70's souls / rare groove and the best in reggae too. Have a great time onboard ;)