PDA

View Full Version : Help, AV amp repair.

seoirse2002
02-09-2012, 09:14
Hi Guys,
Just a long shot,but I hope someone may be able to help.
I sold my Denon AVR 1708 on you know where. The guy drove from Northants to collect it and as I had it disconnected it,I just showed it working in stereo.
When he got it home,he says his (expert) friend tried all day and just cant get it working,so looks to me like hes blown something and obviously hes jumping up and down.
Does anyone know of a repair person in the Northants area that can look at it and poss repair it? Near NN14 if poss,but Im sure he wont mind taking it a bit further.
I only got £100 for it...is it worth repairing?
Its certainly a better idea than me having to drive up there(from London) and take it back as he wont return it.
Any ideas guys?
Thankyou

StanleyB
02-09-2012, 10:31
I suggest that you read the rules with respect to sales on eBay. Did you offer a return option if he didn't like it first of all? The other thing is that you demonstrated to him that it worked. If he blew it up afterwards then that is down to him I would say. If he picked it up then he has to send or take it back. Distance selling rules don't apply on collected goods ;). So he has to bring it back if he wants a refund. Those are the rules as I understand them.

I hope you made note of the serial number on the amp. I have heard of cases where buyers swapped over their faulty equipment for a good one they bought off ebay. Then the claimed the item they bought was faulty after doing a swap over.

synsei
02-09-2012, 10:51
Hi George,

I believe NN14 is a Northampton postcode therefore TVM Audio Visual (http://www.tvmaudiovisual.com/) might be your best bet if your buyer gets very insistent, although I'm with Stan on this ;)

bobbasrah
02-09-2012, 12:29
Agree with both Stan and Dave above. It was working when it left, albeit you only demonstrated it in stereo, so whatever happened subsequently was whilst in their care.

Assuming they did not do something stupid with it on arrival, and something actually DID go wrong in transit, that sounds more likely to be a fuse or similar TBH, unless they dropped it.... Tell them to check the fuse and take it to a local repair shop if they are handless.... Otherwise, if the rules require, they return it complete....

You sold it in good faith, not on it's last legs....

seoirse2002
02-09-2012, 12:46
Yes, I know what you're saying,but as I only demod it in stereo,he is saying the surround isnt working and its unlikely he drove all the way from Northants to London to just do a swap..He was so angry himself that he left me bad feedback immediately as there was a no return policy,and I know Im not obliged to do anything,but feel a little sorry for the guy who says hes sick of being ripped off on ebay...he says he will revise the feedback if I sort something out and hes not pushing for a refund as he knows its a long drive back with it. I am going to ask him to leave it in somewhere and hope its just a fuse or some small matter.
btw... I did tell him not to switch it on before connecting speakers etc or other inputs and the manual states that as well.
I have also asked him to bring it somewhere to be looked at,but he hasnt responded to that,so now,armed with the info above,I will ask him to take it there.
Thanks Guys;)

synsei
02-09-2012, 12:59
I feel for you George but I think you should at least ring ebay for some advice on this before you proceed. Their staff are extremely helpful in such circumstances and will tell you straight if your responsibilities extend to getting it fixed. I suspect they will suggest that you have fulfilled your duties in regards to the information you submitted in your listing. If this is the case they will remove the negative feedback ;)

YNWaN
02-09-2012, 13:50
Does he say it still works in stereo?

seoirse2002
02-09-2012, 14:12
Does he say it still works in stereo?

Yes,but says he cant get the surround to work,and hes had a friend around who tried as well

Macca
02-09-2012, 14:30
If it still works in stereo it is not liekly to be anything serious. It is unlikely that the amps for the rear and centre have all failed simultaneosly also. Much more likely that they have done somthing wrong in the set up menus. Do you know if they have tried a factory reset?

istari_knight
02-09-2012, 14:33
I can tell you that after blowing a channel on a Denon AVR myself... Even if only one channel is faulty the whole unit wont come out of protection.

If the front two are working its likely a settings/simple fix issue... You can perform a microprocessor reset by doing the following:

1.Switch off the unit using Main power switch
2.Keep both Speaker A and Speaker B buttons depressed and turn on unit using Main power switch
3.Check that the entire display is flashing at 1 Second intervals, when it is release the buttons.

There is a known fault with this range of receivers where the connectors between the HDMI board & Motherboard go 'funny' & can make operation very erratic. Its well worth unplugging then reinserting all of these connectors a couple of times as it normally sorts the problem. Of course a repair shop will probably charge £50 or so to do this but if you/the buyer isn't comfortable doing this I suppose its worth it to get the thing working again.

I hope thats of some help :)

seoirse2002
02-09-2012, 16:02
Thanks for that...I just rang him and he did the reset while I was on the phone...the display flashed as you said....he says its still playing in stereo with his ipod plugged in....I told him to go back to the instructions and check that he is assigning the inputs/outputs for surround properly.
Does the display flashing as you said, mean that its all working?
He will get back to me once he re-reads the manual...
I wouldent be bothered about this except that the guy seems genuine and even
spent £50 on banana plugs for it as his old one(a yamaha) used bare wires,so I believe he was careful with connections...lets hope its ok now or its off to the shop mentioned earlier.
I dont want him to feel ripped off by me as Im an honest person and he seems to be too. If I knew it wasnt working I could have still sold it as such.
Thanks for the help so far everybody

JimC
03-09-2012, 07:11
I agree with istari_knight in the fact that if anything serious had happened to one channel the whole Amp would go into Protection Mode.

If you demo'd it in Stereo I suspect it is still in that mode and the buyer has not set it to Surround Mode.

I hope he will come back to you and say all is well once he has read and understood the manual.

James.

istari_knight
03-09-2012, 15:09
Thanks for that...I just rang him and he did the reset while I was on the phone...the display flashed as you said....he says its still playing in stereo with his ipod plugged in....I told him to go back to the instructions and check that he is assigning the inputs/outputs for surround properly.
Does the display flashing as you said, mean that its all working?

If it flashed at one second intervals then yes the microprocessor has been reset.

As JimC says, hopefully the buyer will find its incorrectly setup.