PDA

View Full Version : Lead shot vs sand

realysm42
01-09-2012, 11:47
I've created this to stop thread crapping in another and I'd like some opinions.

Currently I've got Atacama Nexus 5Is' and I've got them filled about 3/4 with ultra fine sand; I'm pretty happy with the sound but in the spirit of experimenting/ruining things I've bought 10kg of lead shot; I'm going to empty the stands out and replace the sand with the shot to see what happens.

I'll then try combining both to see if there's a 'best of both worlds' situation.

What do you use to fill your stands, how much do you fill them and have you tried both? If you have, what's your preference and why?

Wakefield Turntables
01-09-2012, 12:08
I have sand filled atacama stands and it improved the bass no end, I may be tempted with lead but will wait to see what you have to say :eyebrows:

realysm42
01-09-2012, 13:09
I'm starting small with 10 KG, if I hate what it does then it wasn't be biggest waste of money ever. I'll report back once I've got it in place.

Anyone ever used Loctite in their stands?

bobbasrah
01-09-2012, 13:20
I've created this to stop thread crapping in another and I'd like some opinions.

Currently I've got Atacama Nexus 5Is' and I've got them filled about 3/4 with ultra fine sand; I'm pretty happy with the sound but in the spirit of experimenting/ruining things I've bought 10kg of lead shot; I'm going to empty the stands out and replace the sand with the shot to see what happens.

I'll then try combining both to see if there's a 'best of both worlds' situation.

What do you use to fill your stands, how much do you fill them and have you tried both? If you have, what's your preference and why?

There was a very long thread along similar lines not so long ago if you do a search Martin, and I think Atacamas were discussed.... Even kitty litter, poly-foam, etc was discussed from memory....:scratch:
There are so many differing opinions on lead, lead+sand, sand only, part-fill, full-fill, all down to individual experiences equipment stands and environments....:cool:

PS - By Loctite do you mean injectable foam ? Don't think thread lacquer is meant...

prestonchipfryer
01-09-2012, 13:38
Could I suggest that you weigh the amounts of lead and sand. Might be helpful to have a reference. :)

realysm42
01-09-2012, 13:57
If I can weigh them up before I chuck them in I will!

With regards to the Loctite sorry I should have been clearer; yes, I meant the stuff you use in thread, for any threaded construction of stands. The reason I'm thinking of it is it can only held reduce resonance. Might be a bit ocd but who knows until they try?

synsei
01-09-2012, 19:09
I have 400mm Atacama SL's sitting underneath my DM2's which aren't filled just now because I have been agonising over what to put in them, if anything. I'd like to try kiln dried sand as it is cheap but I want to avoid pouring the stuff into the legs, I'd rather bag it up because I've seen so many stands go rusty over time because the sand gets damp. The poly-foam idea appeals to me so I may give them a try soon ;)

Alex_UK
01-09-2012, 19:46
As Chris (The Grand Wazoo) suggested elsewhere - use balloons filled with whatever it is you're putting in.

Audio Al
01-09-2012, 20:56
I have 400mm Atacama SL's sitting underneath my DM2's which aren't filled just now because I have been agonising over what to put in them, if anything. I'd like to try kiln dried sand as it is cheap but I want to avoid pouring the stuff into the legs, I'd rather bag it up because I've seen so many stands go rusty over time because the sand gets damp. The poly-foam idea appeals to me so I may give them a try soon ;)

You have said you are going to try poly-foam , Does this have any weight or is it just a filler to stop resonance ?

synsei
01-09-2012, 22:33
Apparently it is the same stuff used to fill beanbags Al, so it's not very massy ;)

Audio Al
01-09-2012, 22:39
Apparently it is the same stuff used to fill beanbags Al, so it's not very massy ;)

Ok

Thanks , that is quite weighty , I may get some as well :)

synsei
01-09-2012, 22:49
As Chris (The Grand Wazoo) suggested elsewhere - use balloons filled with whatever it is you're putting in.

I must have missed that one Alex, cheers dude ;)

The Grand Wazoo
02-09-2012, 00:27
....the same stuff used to fill beanbags Al, so it's not very massy

Not very massy, but it's bloody noisy when you rustle a bean bag - that can't be a good thing, surely?

synsei
02-09-2012, 00:33
The polystyrene filler is noisy Chris but the stuff I'm considering has a rubbery feel to it and is absolutely silent (we own several beanbags with this filling). I've no idea what it's called so it'll take some tracking down ;)

The Grand Wazoo
02-09-2012, 00:35
Ah, OK - I stand corrected, sorry.

synsei
02-09-2012, 00:37
No worries :cool:

realysm42
05-09-2012, 22:03
Okay, I've had a lot going on in terms of my stereo the last few days, I'll write more about this when I've got time to do something comprehensive, but quickly, on this topic:

I removed all of the sand, measured out the lead shot and filled the stands to about 45/50% and... well, the sound was flat dull and constricted comapred to the 75% sand filling before, so going by what others have said, it's easy to over do it.

So, I carefully measured and removed 25% of the lead from each stand; they're about 25% full right now and... they're sounding great!

It's hard to do a quick comparison by the very nature of the work but I'd say the speakers sound more authoritive, certainly in the lower regions of the frequency range.

So no loss of musicality and more control with the bass, I'm happy with the change :)

Next question, how will it sound with sand to fill the gaps between the lead shot? I might have an opportunity to find out tomorrow, with another set of ears to help me judge.

BTW, I bought 10kg of this stuff and I'm certain I got a lot more than that (plus I've used no more than 5kg or 50% of it). So if anyone's interested in it, they can grab themselves a deal on remainder.

The Grand Wazoo
05-09-2012, 22:46
Woo-hoo.........Excellent!!!!!
As I said, and as you have found out for yourself, when you start putting stuff with a really high basic density in there, the rules change. People think that what works for sand will work for lead & it's not the case at all.
Watch out with mixtures, as you'll find that in time, the lead will work it's way down to the bottom & you'll have to tip it all out & mix it up again.

realysm42
05-09-2012, 22:53
Yeah, I was thinking about what might happen in time (with the inevitable constant vibrations) and thought of something similar; I think you've persuaded me not to bother as I love the sound right now and I don't want an active job with it.

I'm glad you mentioned it to me because I might have just though it's a load of sh1t otherwise and not tuned it more to my liking - so thanks for that!

Btw; the lead shot is now sold.

synsei
05-09-2012, 22:56
Btw; the lead shot is now sold.

Yup, there was a shout of "GEROFF MY LAND!!!" followed by an extremely rapid delivery... :D

nat8808
09-09-2012, 02:48
If I can weigh them up before I chuck them in I will!

With regards to the Loctite sorry I should have been clearer; yes, I meant the stuff you use in thread, for any threaded construction of stands. The reason I'm thinking of it is it can only held reduce resonance. Might be a bit ocd but who knows until they try?

I use Pritstick as loctite to fairly good effect normally - sometimes a dab of superglue if its a large enough hex bolt.

nat8808
09-09-2012, 02:53
As a filler to stop resonance, has anyone ever tried that expanding insulating foam at all? I'm sure it could be sprayed into large bags so as not for it not to be permanently stuck to the internal walls.

Would be like foam fill in tonearm tubes.

bobbasrah
09-09-2012, 03:59
As a filler to stop resonance, has anyone ever tried that expanding insulating foam at all? I'm sure it could be sprayed into large bags so as not for it not to be permanently stuck to the internal walls.

Would be like foam fill in tonearm tubes.

Yes, it will dampen resonance Nat IF directly injected, but in tubulars you will have problems getting it out if it fails.
Without sticking to the metal surface and with a plastic barrier, the degree of resonance absorption will be limited by contact pressure IMHO.

realysm42
09-09-2012, 09:31
It never occurred to me the using something light in speaker stands could work, I thought the main raeason was to add mass to the stands?

bobbasrah
09-09-2012, 17:57
It never occurred to me the using something light in speaker stands could work, I thought the main raeason was to add mass to the stands?

:scratch: You could do that with 4 bricks much more easily, although it would have limited if any effect other that to invoke a thick ear from SWMBO.....;)

realysm42
09-09-2012, 18:19
I don't understand why you're saying that, no-ones talking about doing the easiest thing here...

Besides, why would you want bricks on your speaker stands?

bobbasrah
09-09-2012, 19:04
I don't understand why you're saying that, no-ones talking about doing the easiest thing here...

Besides, why would you want bricks on your speaker stands?

Sorry Martin, it was in response to your querying adding mass to the stands.
If the objective were only to add mass then two bricks, slab, anything similar will add mass. The objective is to control the resonance of the stand to suit your speakers and stands, not necessarily add mass.

You have experimented with sand infill, and lead shot, full and part-full, each having their own characteristics. Grain size and density play a role in absorbing resonance from the tube, but not all speakers perform at their best on inert supports
All my steel stands were DIY heavy wall tubing, and sand turned out to be the ideal solution in my own case.

YMMV