PDA

View Full Version : 2012 London Paralympic games

chris@panteg
30-08-2012, 16:32
I thought we should have a thread on this ! In awe of the Paralympians I've seen so far .
Great to see so many nations taking part and great support from the British public !

keiths
30-08-2012, 17:12
I agree. Just been watching some track cycling - totally amazing watching someone with one leg flying round the velodrome.

GBs Sarah Storey earlier won our first Gold of the games in the Women's Individual Pursuit C5 after setting a new world record in her heat. That's Sarah's 8th Paralympics gold medal (19 Paralympics medals in all) of her career :stalks:

chris@panteg
30-08-2012, 17:45
Hi Keith , was that the Chinese guy ? I was amazed at that , he didn't get a medal but incredible anyway.

keiths
30-08-2012, 20:06
There were a few Chris - but the one that sticks in my mind was the Chinese lady who won gold in the Individual Pursuit C1-3 who started slowly but built into a rhythm that just got faster and faster until she overhauled the other rider (who had both legs but a prosthetic foot) easily by the end.

Did you see the opening ceremony? My favourite bit was Birdy performing an Antony and the Johnsons song.

Reid Malenfant
30-08-2012, 20:09
GBs Sarah Storey earlier won our first Gold of the games in the Women's Individual Pursuit C5 after setting a new world record in her heat. That's Sarah's 8th Paralympics gold medal (19 Paralympics medals in all) of her career :stalks:
Didn't she used to be a gold medal swimmer, or do I have the wrong person here...

I'm sure some female Paralympic GB swimmer took up cycling after getting an ear infection :scratch:

keiths
30-08-2012, 20:14
Yep, that's her. Originally from Disley - 3 miles from me, she still lives locally.

Reid Malenfant
30-08-2012, 20:21
Sweet :D Good on her!

chris@panteg
01-09-2012, 11:55
Did anyone watch Richard Whitehead win the T42 200 m ? Incredible last 50 wow , the American lass Long with no legs ! She swims like a fish , incredible ! Last night I watched astounded as a Chinese guy with one arm win gold in the butterfly against mostly swimmers with two arms .

And everything is so well attended , the stadium was buzzing this morning , can't help being moved by the courage and determination of these Paralympians .

Dingdong
01-09-2012, 12:26
I went down on Thursday and watched some Goalball and Basketball. Thought it was brilliant. If you get chance to get some tickets I highly recommend it. They are not that expensive and travel is pretty simple.

chris@panteg
01-09-2012, 12:30
I went down on Thursday and watched some Goalball and Basketball. Thought it was brilliant. If you get chance to get some tickets I highly recommend it. They are not that expensive and travel is pretty simple.

Would have liked to but no chance of any time off next week ! But ch4 coverage has been pretty good so far , in fact 1st time it's been televised properly .

keiths
01-09-2012, 17:18
Ellie Simmonds - just fantastic :clap:

chris@panteg
01-09-2012, 17:28
Ellie Simmonds - just fantastic :clap:

That was extraordinary , gutsiest thing I've ever seen ! Didn't think she was going to win ? But dug deep and found something , marvelous :)

Dingdong
01-09-2012, 19:04
Just got an athletics ticket for Monday night. Yay!!

chris@panteg
01-09-2012, 19:16
Just got an athletics ticket for Monday night. Yay!!

Well done :)

Irish eyes must be smiling tonight ! Jason Smyth from Derry , impressive time .

keiths
01-09-2012, 20:32
Lots of great performances today - 10+ World records have fallen during today's events.

I'm enjoying this at least as much as the Olympics so far.

chris@panteg
03-09-2012, 11:14
Oscar Pistorious let himself down last night ! Pretty poor but he at least made some sort of apology , great weather this week so should be great for anyone going to watch .

StanleyB
03-09-2012, 11:17
Oscar only apologized for the timing of his comments not for the comment themselves.

snuffbox
03-09-2012, 15:01
Coverage seems to be piss poor in my opinion.
It's been ok for track pool and velodrome but the coverage given to our gold winning equestrian and mixed coxed fours was terrible.
Who are these people that have done so well,what do we know about them?nix.
As for the shooting archery and fencing,very poor coverage.

AlexM
03-09-2012, 15:24
Paul,

I agree - I think the coverage is quite patchy, and some events are poorly done. I don't know why they didn't stick with the BBC, who had a great internet platform for content publication.

Cheers,
A.

chris@panteg
03-09-2012, 15:59
Have you found the extra channels ?

keiths
03-09-2012, 17:07
Piss poor compared to what? Certainly not previous Paralympic Games or any other Disability Sport championships. Compared to the Olympics - well, the BBC had lots more resources to show everything - 24 extra channels on Sky/FreeSat compared with Channel 4's 3 extra channels on those platforms.

I think C4 have done pretty well to be honest.

snuffbox
03-09-2012, 17:24
Compared to what was on offer by aunty beeb.
This is a once in a lifetime event and because it's the Paralympics it seems to be having second best where coverage is concerned.
In my opinion it deserves better than what we have on offer.:steam:

chris@panteg
03-09-2012, 17:30
Compared to what was on offer by aunty beeb.
This is a once in a lifetime event and because it's the Paralympics it seems to be having second best where coverage is concerned.
In my opinion it deserves better than what we have on offer.:steam:

But it's a big improvement on Beijing ! 1 hour a day highlights and no live coverage !

snuffbox
03-09-2012, 18:15
But it's a big improvement on Beijing ! 1 hour a day highlights and no live coverage !

Your not wrong.

AlexM
03-09-2012, 21:24
I am working in the International Broadcast Centre, and it is almost empty compared to the Olympics. It is a shame, and I think that the level of public interest towards the Paralympics has probably taken the broadcasters by suprise.

I think (and hope) that this will be a landmark for the Paralympic movement, and that the investment in coverage by the international media will rise significantly in future games. I really hope so...

chris@panteg
03-09-2012, 21:52
I am working in the International Broadcast Centre, and it is almost empty compared to the Olympics. It is a shame, and I think that the level of public interest towards the Paralympics has probably taken the broadcasters by suprise.

I think (and hope) that this will be a landmark for the Paralympic movement, and that the investment in coverage by the international media will rise significantly in future games. I really hope so...

+1

morris_minor
04-09-2012, 09:04

This would be one of the most important legacies of London 2012 IMO. If Olympic and Paralympic sports' competitions - national and international - were regularly covered on free-to-air TV their profiles would be raised and the momentum for increasing participation maintained.

I never knew we had so many world class athletes in so many sports - many of which I'd never seen before. We owe it to these athletes, and those up-and-coming, to show the country what they're doing in between the Olympic years.

Oh - I saw some one-legged guys doing the high jump last night :eek:. What performances! :stalks:

AlexM
04-09-2012, 09:57
I know... the one-legged high jump was unbelievable, wasn't it?

Dingdong
04-09-2012, 10:50
This is the best photo I could take of the high jump. Was brilliant to watch.
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/marktb/Olympics%202012/IMG_0291.jpg

There was one tall bloke that seemed to have two legs. Thought that was a bit unfair, until he pulled one off just before the run(hop) up.

snuffbox
04-09-2012, 15:11
According to my wife we have two archers(women)shooting for gold and silver.
With the bbccoverage we could have watched that live :(

morris_minor
04-09-2012, 15:47
Did you see the archer holding the bow with his foot and pulling the arrow back with his mouth . . ? :eek:

snuffbox
04-09-2012, 15:50
It seems the final of the women's archery wasn't filmed,I really can't believe that,sure that must be wrong.

StanleyB
04-09-2012, 15:56
That's the downside to giving a boy, C4, to do a man's job. But at least they showed a lot more of the Paralympics than the BBC has ever bothered to do.

chris@panteg
04-09-2012, 16:29
That's the downside to giving a boy, C4, to do a man's job. But at least they showed a lot more of the Paralympics than the BBC has ever bothered to do.

+1

Also I think the BBC and the media as a whole have been knocked sideways by how popular and well attended these games have been ! I think they have been genuinely stunned in fact ? Shame on them .

Bluedroog
04-09-2012, 20:36
Going to see the T44 100m final on Thursday with Oscar and co, although there is a very good American and also a Brit who now holds the world record I believe so a genuine race too, with British interest no less.

I'm hoping it will be the most high profile event in Paralympic history.

Should be good regardless and certainly a good day out.

chris@panteg
04-09-2012, 21:13
Going to see the T44 100m final on Thursday with Oscar and co, although there is a very good American and also a Brit who now holds the world record I believe so a genuine race too, with British interest no less.

Enjoy it , I've been told by a friend who went last Saturday , the atmosphere is incredible !

Dingdong
04-09-2012, 22:07

You'll love it. Get there early and have a wander around the park. It's really good. You'll love the atmosphere.
The crowd went mental last night when Bussell won gold in the 100m for GB.

Booing Gearge Osborne was fun too.

chris@panteg
05-09-2012, 09:07
Just been watching Jessica Long of the USA, outstanding swimmer ! Just amazing really , shame America has chosen to ignore these Paralympics so it seems ?

Some great golds for team GB yesterday .

chris@panteg
07-09-2012, 07:30
What a fantastic night ! Got to love Hannah Cockroft , what a bubbly lovable character , David Weir , magnificent ! And what a lovely moment when Oscar congratulated Jonnie on winning the 100m , I think he's redeemed himself ! Top fellah !

Dingdong
07-09-2012, 08:10
Telly will be rubbish next week. Going to have to listen to music or summat.

morris_minor
07-09-2012, 08:16
What a fantastic night ! Got to love Hannah Cockroft , what a bubbly lovable character , David Weir , magnificent ! And what a lovely moment when Oscar congratulated Jonnie on winning the 100m , I think he's redeemed himself ! Top fellah !

+1

The Paralympics are easily matching their warm-up event for sporting drama, emotion and spectacle.

Don't know if Alex Zanardi's been mentioned here. What a positive outlook he's had since loosing his legs in an Indy race crash. Winning his gold was fantastic, but at Brands Hatch too - very fitting.

And watching the blind triple jump on The Last Leg last night was, er, quite funny. But why would you not move the officials a bit further away and take the sand rake somewhere out of reach?

chris@panteg
07-09-2012, 08:56
I agree Bob , it was difficult not to laugh , perhaps they should move the officials and equipment a bit further out of the way ?

It's just been fantastic , the whole thing ? So many great Paralympians from all nations and the weather has been fabulous too with the last three days looking glorious , what's not to like ?

Bluedroog
07-09-2012, 12:52
I was there last night, absolutely awesome! The David Weir 800m final was really good, the best event as a spectacle but the T44 100m final, wow! The atmosphere was electric, a kid of 19 having his name ring around the stadium like that. What a night!

chris@panteg
08-09-2012, 07:01
I was there last night, absolutely awesome! The David Weir 800m final was really good, the best event as a spectacle but the T44 100m final, wow! The atmosphere was electric, a kid of 19 having his name ring around the stadium like that. What a night!

Marvelous :)

Did you see the women's medley relay last night ? The most exciting and dramatic finnish I've ever seen in any swimming event ! 4 teams neck and neck going for gold , wow !

morris_minor
08-09-2012, 07:38
Marvelous :)

Did you see the women's medley relay last night ? The most exciting and dramatic finnish I've ever seen in any swimming event ! 4 teams neck and neck going for gold , wow !

Indeed Chris - a really exciting race, and one you couldn't possibly call as the race was in progress. I did wonder why all the teams didn't put their fastest swimmers on the last leg, though. But to lose out on gold by 3 one hundredths - you could tell the girls were gutted in the post race interview . .

Bluedroog
08-09-2012, 11:28
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/bluedroog/2012.jpg

Bluedroog
08-09-2012, 11:33
I didn't go in the Aquatics centre, just had a wonder round and in the stadium. There isn't a bad seat in the house. Where I am in the picture is only about 10 rows from the back but still a really good view. The stadium is sunk in the ground so you actually enter about half way up. This picture was at the start of the night while still filling up, as the sun set, the cameras flashed and the led light shows started it really did look good.

Alex_UK
08-09-2012, 21:07
wow - what a 400m final - Pistorious was majestic!

chris@panteg
09-09-2012, 06:52
wow - what a 400m final - Pistorious was majestic!

Pleased for him ! Shame oliverer seemed to pull up in the last 100m but no one to touch the blade runner last night .

Great crowd too , what a fantastic Paralympics :)

Havana
09-09-2012, 10:18
Am still buzzing after two fantastic visits to the Paralympics - at the swimming on Friday night and the athletics yesterday morning. The women's 400m swimming relay medley was one of the most exciting events I have ever seen live.

Amazing weather, stunning venues, great family crowds and sporting excellence in so many varieties. Humbling, inspiring and totally enjoyable.

chris@panteg
09-09-2012, 12:08
Excellent Dave .

Arise sir Dave Weir ! He must get the honour after this , remarkable man .

chris@panteg
09-09-2012, 12:26
So pleased for Shelly Woods getting a silver in the marathon , well done girl !

morris_minor
09-09-2012, 20:15
Fantastic sporting summer! Not even the incredibly naff closing ceremony can erase that ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

chris@panteg
10-09-2012, 09:18
Fantastic sporting summer! Not even the incredibly naff closing ceremony can erase that ....

What's your moment of these games ? Impossible question really but for me the dramatic finish to the women's medley relay and most emotional moment ? I thought Ellie crying but
Matt Walker after getting a bronze , you'd have to be a very hard man not to shed a tear after his speech .

morris_minor
10-09-2012, 17:47
What's your moment of these games ? Impossible question really but for me the dramatic finish to the women's medley relay and most emotional moment ? I thought Ellie crying but
Matt Walker after getting a bronze , you'd have to be a very hard man not to shed a tear after his speech .

+1 on these events. Also Jonnie Peacock, and David Weir's 4 golds. What an athlete!

Dingdong
10-09-2012, 18:03
Matt Walker was one of the best moments. As were the two rowers who got bronze and were shattered.
The best for me was Mickey Bushell winning gold, 'cos I was in the stadium. Amazing experience.