PDA

View Full Version : Calling Mike New / Removeable Spindle

WOStantonCS100
30-08-2012, 04:08
Hey Mike,

I thought I'd make this a thread instead of sending you an email in order to kill two birds with one stone:

1) Mike - could this be done as an option to the MN bearing

2) AOS Members - would there be any interest if he did

WHY?? Remember the Nakamichi Dragon-CT turntable? That's the one that re-centered records that were improperly cut/pressed by nudging the whole platter. Similar results can be done manually by removing the puck and shifting "big hole" 45 rpm's on the platter. I've done this with great success. "Small hole" records... barring reaming out the hole to make it bigger and then shifting it on the platter, not much can be done UNLESS ;) like many lesser changers, the spindle is removable.

I know the old "just get a better pressing" and the "just buy a cheap changer" arguments. I suppose one could just buy a new pressing when one gets dirty rather than spending ridiculous money on a RCM. ;) Depending on the rarity and/or expense of replacing certain vinyl that I would never, ever play on a changer, those may not be good options. If by chance the stampers are off-center................................

YNWaN
30-08-2012, 07:58
Roksan have been producing precisely this since they started.

krugdoktor
30-08-2012, 17:20
Inspired by Roksan I always try not to have a too tight fit of the center hole of the record to the spindle. A round file of the right diameter (tapered, with a felt marker ring for the correct size) is my weapon of choice for opening up too tight center holes.

YNWaN
30-08-2012, 17:45
I just give a pencil a twist in the hole - works fine.

sq225917
30-08-2012, 18:19
I just buy the CD.

krugdoktor
30-08-2012, 18:27
I just buy the CD.

This hole is big enough!

WOStantonCS100
30-08-2012, 18:43
Hey, hey, hey now... let's at least address the issue before we decent into the infamous AoS thread drift. ;) :lol:

For reference, here's a self-centering TT:

rUgOUftRSjk

and here's a pic of the Techy answer to a removeable spindle (notice the small silvery object just to the left of the tonearm):

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz80/TCKA1ESa/spindle.jpg

For the MN bearing, I'd imagine a threaded spindle might work???

YNWaN
30-08-2012, 19:05
Look at the Roksan (Xerxes), it uses an even simpler solution; though their intention is to decouple the record from bearing noise so that the record only makes contact via the mat. However, it also allows the record to be moved slightly to improve record concentricity.

WOStantonCS100
30-08-2012, 19:28
Look at the Roksan (Xerxes), it uses an even simpler solution; though their intention is to decouple the record from bearing noise so that the record only makes contact via the mat. However, it also allows the record to be moved slightly to improve record concentricity.

I'll look it up and post a pic if I can.

YNWaN
31-08-2012, 15:18
Sorry, I've had a look for a decent pic but couldn't find one. Essentially, the centre spindle is a sleeve that simply slips over a smaller diameter pin. Once the record is placed on the platter, the sleeve is simply lifted off.