PDA

View Full Version : Bit of a quandry regarding a Pre-Amp

northwest
28-08-2012, 19:45
I have decided to throw in the towel. (Sit down boys - Don't Panic!)
I am going to look around for a REMOTE CONTROL pre-amp. Snag is, we have to rush around the office turning the volume down when the phone rings - we have become "comfortable" in the office. The volume is going up (has gone up:rolleyes: ) and I really don't need to be running around the place like a headless chicken when the phone rings!
So I was thinking about a pre-amp with a remote control?
Ideally.
Or an amplifier?
Thing is, the "office" system is not really Hi-Fi. More like "Music in the Ofiice" which is clear and simple, well presented is more the definition. I would like to use a QUAD 303 as the power amp you see so a pre amp with remote is the ideal.
If all else fails an integrated amp with remote would do. What do you guys suggest?
TIA.

Reid Malenfant
28-08-2012, 19:50
Something like I picked up on here for my bedroom system would do you a treat no doubt. Makes it easy for me when my back is being a pita :eyebrows:

Cambridge Audio C500 :) Or similar in all honesty...

DSJR
28-08-2012, 19:59
The original MF XP-100 preamp comes up for under a couple of hundred quid. Much cheaper but easily as good as the original and far more complex Nu-Vista, this one has remote, a very truthful sonic and a good basic phono stage. later X-pre's may be worth a look if they offer remote control as well.

The 303 in fine fettle has a sensitive (too sensitive?) input of good loading, so anything half decent with remote should drive it well. In terms of integrated, one of the current Cambridge Audio amps (250A) should be great and with a musical but basically smooth sound like the 303 at its best I think.

nat8808
28-08-2012, 20:22
A long stick with a rubber jam jar opening aid stuck on the end. Should grip the volume knob ok..

nat8808
28-08-2012, 20:25
Another idea would be a remote control input switching device and disconnect source at the press of a button. Check that the earthing arrangement is ok with that though, doesn't make the pre go funny (a QED like device should have that all in hand).

northwest
29-08-2012, 09:02
A long stick with a rubber jam jar opening aid stuck on the end. Should grip the volume knob ok..

assuming the control knob is in front of me, which it isn't. The idea of switching to another channel to mute via remote doesn't work for me either, as some pre-amps are cheaper!

No, I am going to stick with a pre-amp and I have found a couple following the advice from Dave and Mark so I will let you know how I get on over the next couple of days.

DSJR
29-08-2012, 13:28
If you can get either of the main preamps Mark and I have suggested, I'd recommend reducing the 303 input sensitivity (two feedback resistors from 22K to 68K, or even 100K to take it down even further). I did this on mine (middle 68K setting) and found it easier to govern low volume levels (modern log pots seem to cramp all the volume rise at the first half of the control range). The 303 noise level drops nicely too if this is done I understand and if the equivalent of this is done to the 405 input (both designed to be used with the 33 preamp which has limited output levels), the sound is improved along with the measurements :)

northwest
06-09-2012, 11:47
Well, after reading the advice here I am pleased to say I have bought a Cambridge C500 at (what I consider) to be a very good price. It is on iot's way to me and I will report back in due course. The remote is going to be terrific, even though it has no mute it has got to be better than running around knocking stuff over!
I did try to get a Music Fidelity unit but they were twice the price of the Cambrige stuff and I AM supposed to be on an "economy drive" :-)

Reid Malenfant
07-09-2012, 19:15
even though it has no mute it has got to be better than running around knocking stuff over!
:lol: Just keep the remote to hand, or you'll still be knocking stuff over :ner:

Enjoy Graham :cool:

YNWaN
07-09-2012, 20:20
Don't get a remote amp - just get an amp with a mute button. If you don't have a remote you can't lose it - just put the amp within reach.

nat8808
07-09-2012, 23:21
Hang on... hasn't this been approached the wrong way?

Should a remote volume system for the phone ringers have be sought instead?

The Grand Wazoo
07-09-2012, 23:52
There used to be a device available from the HFN/RR Accessories Club that muted your system when the phone rang........but that was a VERY long time ago.