PDA

View Full Version : Evening

symon
02-02-2009, 23:44
Well, it's been snowing and it's time for me to say hello.

I'm Peter and I've just joined - drawn by a link from Google to some pictures of an AKAI 4000d. Then I saw Beechwoods stuff, and the fact that he collects live tapes (mmm - low gen Floyd!), and that he's in Bristol, like me, and that was just too many reasons to make joining a must!

I'm new to hi-fi. But, I have a quad power amp and pre-amp sitting in a corner waiting to be put to good use. I haven't properly connected them up yet because I can't connect my record player to it. It's a NAD but has RCA connectors built in. So, maybe a new record player for me soon, even if it's a cheap one.

Other than the NAD, I have an old CD player (another upgrade required down the line), two DAT decks, a minidisc deck, tuner, a Denon amp and some bi-wired Acoustic Energy speakers.

I would like to get a really nice system going - and the Quads seem to be a good start. I don't know much about cables and speakers and the reasons why they are important (ie, why do speakers need stands?) I'm fairly sure I am going to learn most of that here after I've done some more reading.

Anyway, hello from me. Back to lurk mode.

Beechwoods
02-02-2009, 23:50
Hi there Peter! It seems my cover's been blown :) An interest in Floyd, reel to reel and an owner of two DAT decks... glad you decided to join us. If you're thinking of a record player you could do worse than what I did - a cheap Lenco L75 and knock together a home-made high-mass plinth... very impressive sound even with the stock arm, if you get a half-decent cartridge. And they have the capability get stellar levels of performance with a replacement arm.

Welcome to AOS!

symon
02-02-2009, 23:53
Yes, I saw that. Got my interest too. However, I should own up now to be very bad at DIY - I do very little of it and have no idea how I would even start taking apart a turntable, let alone build a new plinth and put it in it. But, you never know - come the summer I might give it a go!

symon
03-02-2009, 00:05
Oh, and I forgot to mention the Revox B215

baron
03-02-2009, 08:23
Hello and welcome Peter.
What Quad amps have wou got? I quite like Quad amps, very reliable.

symon
03-02-2009, 18:50
I've got a Quad 33 and a 405! At this stage, I have to admit that they scare me slightly!

Beechwoods
03-02-2009, 19:04
Oh, and I forgot to mention the Revox B215

If I didn't have my ZX-7, etc ;)

It'd be interesting to see some pics of your stuff, maybe in The Gallery, and a 'review' of the Revox when you get the chance. They're lovely machines. I've always fancied a Revox or Studer deck...

symon
03-02-2009, 19:15
Ah well, I'll see what I can do about the pics. I don't exactly have a nice and neat set up - more like lots of stuff stacked on top of each other where possible. The Revox sits on its own next to my PC as I have been transferring some tape to digital.
And the poor Quad stuff is still wrapped in bubble wrap hiding in a corner!

I haven't run the revox through a proper set up yet - must do that.

As for the Quad, I'm still searching and hoping for a cheap tt to come my way with disconnectable RCA cables so that I can connect it to the Quad. Once I get that I will set it all up and see what happens.

baron
04-02-2009, 12:25
Can you use an adaptor lead to connect your turntable to the Quad?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDIOPHILE-5-PIN-DIN-TO-2x-PHONO-SOCKETS-FOR-QUAD-NAIM_W0QQitemZ120316828040QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Co nsumer_VintageAudio_RL?hash=item120316828040

Flashback Sales also have a good selection of leads and manuals for Quad.
http://www.flashbacksales.co.uk/index.html

symon
04-02-2009, 14:20
ooh, yeah - that Ebay lead would do the trick!

Now, do I admit this, or do I wait and see if I can find a reasonable deck tomorrow :eyebrows:
I'll wait and see, I think - and keep that lead in my mind as a reserve.

Thanks, that is really helpful!

symon
07-02-2009, 18:03
I'm thinking about setting up my Quad stuff today - so maybe some pictures might be taken after all!

One question, can I bi-wire my speakers when using the Quad?