PDA

View Full Version : Moth RCM Mk. 2

AlexM
26-08-2012, 16:20
Hi,

I've finally finished building my Moth Record Cleaning Machine kit.. project has been on the back burner for some time, but I have been wanting to get completed so I can get my records digitised without spending a disproportionate amount of time in post processing / de-clicking.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8290/7864929824_6f7b7084f1_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548229@N07/7864929824/)
20120826_165248 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/14548229@N07/7864929824/) by alexmastersuk (http://www.flickr.com/people/14548229@N07/), on Flickr

Finished in a subtle shade of red (Ford Brilliant Red) - it isn't going to be any less visible in black as it is huge ;).

I've got to say that after listening to a few test records I am absolutely gobsmacked how much quieter and more detailed they sound. It isn't just the reduction in background noise that is notable, there just seems to be so much more clarity and separation of the sounds, and low level details that was previously absent.

As a test I cleaned up a copy of Steps Ahead Magnetic that was previously almost unlistenable. Although the record was fairly clean before, I had always assumed that it was a defective pressing suffering from underfill as there was a significant amount of noise and distortion at the end of side one that no amount of cleaning seemed to get rid of. I tolerated it as it is out of print and there are some amazing performances by Michael Brecker on the Akai EWI.

After cleaning the record is transformed - the distortion is almost gone, and although there are still a few pops and clicks, it is much, much more listenable.

I can only assume that the cleaning process has removed an overly generous amount of mould release agent as it much better than can only be accounted for my removal of dirt (or maybe not).

I'm a very happy chappy, and plan to spend some time listening to and recording some of my less than pristine records.. I feel that I will be rediscovering them and hearing them as I haven't for many years. Unless you live in a completely dust-free environment you NEED an a vacuum RCM as no other cleaning method is worth mentioning in the same breath.

Only downside is the noise of the RCM.. it is extremely noisy. You can't really argue with the results though.

Cheers,
Alex

Macca
26-08-2012, 16:35
Looks like you have made a great job of that Alex. I'm liking the red finish. As you say the results from a proper wet/vacuum RCM are something of a revelation.

prestonchipfryer
26-08-2012, 17:14
I have a Moth RCM and when I cleaned my lp's couldn't believe how much better they sounded. But my D-I-Y skills are virtually useless. Yours, in the red, looks very nice. Well done. :)

keiths
26-08-2012, 17:50
Well done - it looks great :)

They are certainly noisy! I always use foam earplugs when I use mine. The other day I removed an earplug to use the phone between cleaning records and forgot to put it back in before switchingthe vacuum on. I nearly jumped out of my skin at the noise without both earplugs in :eek:

prestonchipfryer
26-08-2012, 18:45
I use a pair of ear defenders, these give -20db, purchased for about a fiver. Well worth it as the Moth is very noisy but does the job well.

topoxforddoc
26-08-2012, 21:06
Alex,

Glad you've had the revelation. Wet cleaning LPs is just the only way to go. Now just look at your stylus and see how little you need to clean it. Amazing. Oh and the LPs sound transformed as well. No LP goes onto my TT unless it has been wet cleaned (once).

Best wishes,

Charlie

Macca
27-08-2012, 08:26
Yes - You will make back the cost of the RCM with increased stylus life - especially if like many on here you are using a cartridge that cost £500 plus.

AlfaGTV
27-08-2012, 09:56
Very nice build! And i most definently agree that cleaning vinyl is a must! I would say that an RCM is the best HiFi investment you can get, both when it comes to Sound Quality and the fact(?) that it should bring longer life to your precious pickups/stylus'!

And in true Thread Drift style:
What kind of fluids do you all use for cleaning?

Personally its a procedure like this:
1. Dry dust-off using a BiB Groov-Kleen brush
2. Apply some of my home made mix (10% IPA/90% Aqua Purificata and a couple of drops dish washing detergent)
3. Use the Okki Nokki wet brush to work up a little foaming and distribute the solution. (A couple of turns in both directions)
4. Suction, not necessarily completely dry.
5. Apply L'Art du Son mix, just a couple of drops will suffice
6. Work up a foam using the MoFi velvet LP brush (A couple of turns in each direction)
7. Suction, till nearly dry, but not completely (Usually about 2-2.5 turns)

All done! Change side and repeat procedure! :eek:

Regards
/Mike

AlexM
27-08-2012, 11:06
Hi Mike,

NO thread drift - absolutely OT :). At the moment I am using the supplied Moth cleaning fluid, which is 25% IPA, reverse-osmosis filtered water, and some sort of wetting agent.

It seems to do the job. I set the turntable to rotate and then apply the solution with a CF brush, gently scrubbing as I go. Three rotations anti-clockwise, and then three rotations clockwise. This leaves the record completely clean and dry.

I will experiment with some other cleaning fluids and brushes as I go to see what works best. I will check out the Art du Son fluid. Not sure about washing up liquid though.. I know it breaks the surface tension but it does contain some salt, which isn't ideal. I understand that you can get a wetting agent from Jessops or other photographic stores and this is safe and performs the same functions.

Regards,
Alex

AlfaGTV
27-08-2012, 11:29
Alright!
25% IPA is quite a potent mix! I 'd rather do the cleaning once or twice more.
Perhaps over the top careful but i still get the feeling that IPA has got some drying properties which may be detrimental to the cleaning process, or rather to the sound of the LP.

I have also heard that some detergent agents contain some form of salt. I have tried cleaning without this, also using photographic wetting agents, but i do not get the same effect. Since then i decided that the amount of salt distributed and left on the record surface is neglectible! :)

regards
/Mike

Audioman
27-08-2012, 14:05
The OKKI NOKKI is less noisy than Moth and not too much more than the kit Moth if DIY skills are limited. Agree RCM's make a difference depending on the record. I find subtle changes in sound have as much to do with the cleaning fluids used as the machine. When I can be fussed to bother a combination of L'Art du Son followed by the Okki Nokki fluid gives the best results.

Some new LP's makes little diference some quite a bit. Removes static from those LP's that initialy stick to the sleeve. A lot of 'faults' are not cured by the RCM in which case another copy is the only answer.

AlexM
27-08-2012, 17:09
I think I am experiencing such a big improvement as my poor vinyl has been subjected to three building projects, and there is obviously a lot of very fine particles that have got into the sleeves.

I have done my best to clean them using non-wet methods, but at the end of the day you are just pushing the dust around and not removing much. I suspect that this very fine dust had adhered to finger grease spots, or MRA left on the record after manufacture, and has bonded to the surface in a way that means brushing it isn't going to shift it. The solvent effect of the IPA seems to break that down and allow it to be completely removed. Some records that are in poor condition show surface scuff marks, but now play almost silently.

25% IPA seems to be safe based on the reading I have done, certainly for a single treatment - it doesn't seem to alter the surface of the vinyl for the duration that it is in contact, but I have also read that too high a concentration of Vinyl (more than 50%) can cause it to 'dry out' and increase surface noise. I will look at alternatives for on-going maintenance.

Cheers,
A.

The Grand Wazoo
27-08-2012, 17:35
20% over here - that's the ratio I've been using for years.

prestonchipfryer
27-08-2012, 17:55
My mix is 20/80 also. Works very well for me. It's amazing how much muck comes off, even LP's that look clean to start with. The Moth is worth every penny.

keiths
27-08-2012, 18:11
Same 1+4 (20/80) mix here - 100ml IPA in a 500ml bottle filled up with distilled water. I add 'several' drops of Kodak PhotoFlo wetting agent.

prestonchipfryer
27-08-2012, 18:44
I add 'several' drops of Kodak PhotoFlo wetting agent.

I've been using Morrisons cheapo washing-up liquid as the wetting agent. Perhaps not such a good idea, i.e.: salt in it.

I'm going to order either the Kodak or get some Ilford WA. :)

The Grand Wazoo
27-08-2012, 19:44
I've used all sorts of wetting agents including some intended as additives to herbicides(!).
I don't actually see the problem with salt. It's going to be dissolved in the solution then it's going to be sucked out with the solution. I'm not aware that a saline solution will dissolve vinyl on contact. In the time it will be in contact will the playing surface, the liquid won't evaporate and the salt recrystallise.

Canetoad
28-08-2012, 09:43
Alex,

What material did you use to construct it?

AlexM
28-08-2012, 11:08
Hi,

The enclosure is made from 15mm Contiboard, which is coated in a thin layer or formica. I filled gaps and edges using Isopon car body filler, sprayed it with a couple of coats of red undercoat, and three coats of red.

It did demonstrate how hard it is to spray paint properly, but after a few false starts and sanding down I managed to get it to look passable. For what I spent on rattle cans at Halford, I could probably have had it done properly at a body shop!. Oh well.. all part of the fun I suppose.

Regards,
Alex

Canetoad
28-08-2012, 11:57
Thanks Alex. That's what I plan to use for my build. :)

kininigin
28-08-2012, 12:08
I recently had some records cleaned on a keith monks machine at the local audio t store.The difference was amazing,i now NEED TO GET A RCM quick smart :lol: