PDA

View Full Version : Eichmann Silver vs wbt silver

clap
25-08-2012, 13:27
I think Marco prefers the Eichmann. Any other opinions please? I'm using the wbts and like them, apart from the price. I need another 10 connectors so would like to save a bit of money but not at the expense of the sound.

YNWaN
25-08-2012, 17:17
You need 10 more connections! No wonder you are considering cheaper options, that's going to cost about£1200.00 just on connectors if you stick with WBT? Are you connecting up an entire system? I only have one pair of RCA's in my whole rig!

But to address your question, Mark Grant has let me know that as soon as he has Eichmann stock he is going to loan me WBT and Eichmann equipped cables, So I will be able to compare them directly.

Mr Kipling
25-08-2012, 17:50
Just found this review.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0901/rcashootout.htm

I'm looking for some budget copper silver-plated ones.

Didn't notice the article was so old until just now.

clap
25-08-2012, 23:00
The wbts are £150 for 4, not £120 each. Still a lot though.

YNWaN
25-08-2012, 23:23
Sorry,thought you meant a pair by a connection - was still wrong though.

clap
25-08-2012, 23:54
:). I'm lucky my £400 classe power amp seems capable of benefiting from better and better cables and mains leads.

Yomanze
26-08-2012, 11:16
:). I'm lucky my £400 classe power amp seems capable of benefiting from better and better cables and mains leads.

...hmm a better amp than your Classe wired up with coathangers will sound better than investing in expensive cables for the Classe.

Don't get me wrong cables are the icing on the cake, but when you start going above 20% of your system cost on cabling I strongly believe that you should start looking at component upgrades... in my opinion of course.

MCRU
26-08-2012, 14:07
I am reading this off my WBT trade price list:-

WBT Nextgen 0110 Ag £44.24 each RRP
WBT Nextgen 0102 Ag £48.53 each RRP
WBT Nextgen 0152 Ag £48.53 each RRP

Eichmann Silver Bullets are £95 for 4, polymer bodied ones.

So 4 bullets £95 polymer boded ones and 4 WBT's £194.08, both have pure silver contact pins.

If I had a large number of cables to re-terminate I know which I would pick!

YNWaN
26-08-2012, 14:48
Yep, so do I - however, I also agree with Neil.

sq225917
26-08-2012, 16:37
I can't hear any difference between them but the Eichmanns have a more purist implementation. I'd happily jam bare wire into sockets were it possible.

Didn't Yamamura have something like that, and 47Labs?

YNWaN
27-08-2012, 11:26
47 labs do.

clap
27-08-2012, 13:54
...hmm a better amp than your Classe wired up with coathangers will sound better than investing in expensive cables for the Classe.

Don't get me wrong cables are the icing on the cake, but when you start going above 20% of your system cost on cabling I strongly believe that you should start looking at component upgrades... in my opinion of course.

Hmm, I've considered this before. The amp would've been £2-£3k in the early
90s. Factor in the cost of a decent pre-amp and my cables are not really out of line.

When I first got into hifi I used the free cables that came with components. Then What hifi suggested some £4 tandy cables. Woahhhh. How much better were they??? Loads better.

Got a better system a couple of years ago and got some second hand £50 cables. Again loads better. Upgraded to second hand ones costing £65. Better again. Finally made some of my own with wbts and they're the best yet.

Cable technology has moved on quite a lot and better sound results.

If I bought a better power amp I reckon I'd have to spend £1,200+. Using cheap cables on it would be pointless as id only be heating about 60% of what it could do.

Yomanze
30-08-2012, 15:15
If I bought a better power amp I reckon I'd have to spend £1,200+. Using cheap cables on it would be pointless as id only be heating about 60% of what it could do.

40% of the sound determined by cables?!?!?!

I don't really like putting numbers on such things, but I guess interconnects and speaker cable combined might contribute to 5% of the sound IMO. 5% is easily audible, mind you...

realysm42
30-08-2012, 15:21
I think trying to put a number against something so subjective is very difficult/inaccurate.

Yomanze
30-08-2012, 15:35
I think trying to put a number against something so subjective is very difficult/inaccurate.

Yeah I agree... when I used to do music journalism I never scored an album for this reason.

Back to the OP maybe get a set of each, use them between your pre & power and flog the one that you didn't like as much? I think this way you'd get a meaningful, subjective comparison, which is what really matters with all this stuff.

clap
30-08-2012, 16:35
Perhaps 60% was a bit high. However, it is the fine details and last degree of dynamics which really make a good sound for me. Once you have good cables for me it is impossible to go back.

clap
30-08-2012, 16:37
I've upgraded interconnects and I think I definitely gained 15% performance on them, the same on speaker cables. Factor in isolation, mains etc and you do get the same again. Perhaps 40% was too low :)

Yomanze
30-08-2012, 16:55
Perhaps 60% was a bit high. However, it is the fine details and last degree of dynamics which really make a good sound for me. Once you have good cables for me it is impossible to go back.

Agreed. :)

Andrei
20-10-2012, 08:03
I think Marco prefers the Eichmann. Any other opinions please? I'm using the wbts and like them, apart from the price. I need another 10 connectors so would like to save a bit of money but not at the expense of the sound.

Danged if I can remember where I read it but the gist of it was that they sounded the same. The 'but' was that the Eichmann were not as strong as the WBT and could break if not treated carefully. So the advice was to go for Eichmann so long as you were careful in pushing them in and pulling them out.

YNWaN
20-10-2012, 08:46
I have recently compared the WBT's and the Eichmann's and, in my opinion, they did not sound the same; I significantly preferred the Eichmann's.

You would have to be very ham fisted to break the Eichmann's.

Tarzan
20-10-2012, 09:02
I have recently compared the WBT's and the Eichmann's and, in my opinion, they did not sound the same; I significantly preferred the Eichmann's.

You would have to be very ham fisted to break the Eichmann's.

Or how about putting extra heatshrink on the plug and cable?

clap
20-10-2012, 09:49
I got some Eichmanns this week. Having only had limited listening time I am not thinking they are any worse than the wbts. They are plenty robust enough for me and I'm using the plastic ones. I'll be using them going forwards.

My system sounds very full range now. I have more detail than ever but it sounds pretty musical. I do possibly have a little brightness but need to do further tests. I don't like pipe and slippers anyway.

I have amazing clarity now using silver cable and wbts/eichmanns throughout my digital replay system.

I think ill be purchasing a tonearm cable and interconnect from Yannis for my turntable, ill be able to mix and match and compare which should be useful. I'm going to specify the Eichmanns and Furutech din. I've only had very good experiences with Oyaide and Furutech. And, the higher level Oyaide and Furutech iecs are a bit better than the more basic ones from the same brands. I get more texture from the music with them.

Marco
20-10-2012, 10:29

+1 (with bells on)

In a suitably revealing system (where the listener has no inherent bias about such things), the difference, sonically, between the WBTs and Eichmanns isn't subtle, particularly if the listener can also focus on musical aspects of the presentation, not just tonal ones, as this is where the Eichmanns excel, making the WBTs, in comparison, sound rather 'forced' and overtly 'hi-fi'.

As such, silver Eichmann Bullet Plugs will remain as my RCA connectors of choice :)

Marco.

YNWaN
20-10-2012, 20:00
Well, there must be something in it because Marco and I seem to agree on very little :). Even more bizarrely, I would exactly agree with Marco's description of the differences!

Marco
20-10-2012, 21:16
Lol, actually, we agree on most things, as we've had a similar 'flat-earth' hi-fi upbringing, but there are certain areas of audio where our views tend to be the polar opposite, but that's cool - educated differences of opinion is what makes the AoS world go round! :exactly:

Marco.