PDA

View Full Version : Thread drift, is it annoying?

walpurgis
24-08-2012, 17:44
Just about every thread I've looked at or started has had 'thread drift' to a degree. i.e., the thread going off topic or even being completely hi-jacked.

I can understand how and why it happens, but I'm sure there are circumstances where it would really not be welcome.

Any opinions out there?

Stratmangler
24-08-2012, 17:52
I'm currently sat in the Colin Bell stand at the Etihad Stadium, awaiting kick-off for a game between our U21s and Middlesbrough U21s.
Gareth Barry is also playing, following an op he had this Summer for a hernia.

Martinh
24-08-2012, 17:52
Just about every thread I've looked at or started has had 'thread drift' to a degree. i.e., the thread going off topic or even being completely hi-jacked.

I can understand how and why it happens, but I'm sure there are circumstances where it would really not be welcome.

Any opinions out there?

Is anyone else really excited about the Paralympics starting next week? ;)

Cheers,

Martin

P.s. thread drift is normal and natural, just as it does when you have a conversation with someone face to face. Some people do get carried away though!

walpurgis
24-08-2012, 17:55
Ha, Ha, I was just waiting for the predictable to happen!

bobbasrah
24-08-2012, 17:56
And ?

bobbasrah
24-08-2012, 18:07
Now THAT is what is REAL thread drift......... 3 threads down....

Stratmangler
24-08-2012, 18:55
Ha, Ha, I was just waiting for the predictable to happen!

Just give an excuse and you shall be obliged ;)

Tim
24-08-2012, 19:08
I'm sure there are circumstances where it would really not be welcome.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/derail2.jpg

. . . if you let it worry you, you might just be in the wrong place ;)
Having a thread completely ignored is far worse and there can often be a lot of humour in it.....

The Grand Wazoo
24-08-2012, 19:11
You can always ask for folks to bog off elsewhere & start a thread of their own. Mods can step in to reinforce that request and tidy up or move off-topic stuff if you ask them. You just need to ask.

walpurgis
24-08-2012, 20:05
It doesn't really bother me, but I'm sure there are situations where it might be frustrating, especially if it is done deliberately to sabotage a line of discussion.

The deliberate, foregoing, determinedly drifted/off topic posts were expected and part of the fun! I suppose it'll happen again now, or have I pre-empted anyone?

YNWaN
24-08-2012, 20:11
To be honest, I think thread drift is less pronounced on this forum than it is on some others where thread hi-jack is not uncommon.

synsei
24-08-2012, 23:34
http://images.safety-marine.co.uk/dbimages/3090/round-orange-life-buoy-ring-cabinet-(housing)-medium.jpg

May I suggest we place a Lifebuoy on every thread for those who drift a little too far off topic... :D

Marco
25-08-2012, 09:48
And then attach a lump of concrete to it for those who complain too much! :eyebrows:

Marco.

prestonchipfryer
25-08-2012, 10:49
glug, glug, glug :D

WOStantonCS100
28-08-2012, 20:15
Surely, this thread isn't going to stop here??? We haven't even discussed the possiblity that The Grand Wazoo is an active Interpol agent. :eek:

The Grand Wazoo
28-08-2012, 21:22
Now something like that has been suggested before. News on the subject has been rather patchy of late though.

Barry
29-08-2012, 18:27
Surely, this thread isn't going to stop here??? We haven't even discussed the possiblity that The Grand Wazoo is an active Interpol agent. :eek:

No, not Interpol - The Grand Wazoo is a high-level operative for the shadowy organisation MUDSHARK. This is a clandestine outfit whose avowed aim is to secrete the works of Frank Zappa into every lending library in the land.

Obviously news on this front has been "patchy of late".

walpurgis
29-08-2012, 22:51
Nothing wrong with thrusting Zappa upon the general population!

Audio Al
30-08-2012, 01:36
I have to agree

Thread drift is annoying

I was half way through a topic on amps
When the door bell rang

It was the postman

I eagerly opened the parcel to find my new slippers

Nice fit as well , dark blue

Have to remember to tell everyone not to buy me any for Xmas

The Grand Wazoo
30-08-2012, 06:22
Careful now. You use Quads too. There may be questions about pipes to follow!

Alex_UK
30-08-2012, 06:37
In one of my daughter's books there is a picture of Sherlock Holmes with a pipe in his mouth - very difficult to explain to a 3 year old "why?" !!

Joe
30-08-2012, 08:50

Any opinions out there?

Where it would not be welcome:

1) On a 'for sale' thread

2) Where someone has asked for advice and the first reply is off-topic.

Otherwise, fill yer boots. Most audio discussions will become circular after a dozen or so posts, so thread drift is usually a welcome distraction.

Dingdong
01-09-2012, 08:54
I've always thought that I should buy a pipe. Not to smoke. Just to prod at people while I talk.

Mr Kipling
01-09-2012, 09:16
I've always thought that I should buy a pipe. Not to smoke. Just to prod at people while I talk.

That would be my preferred use for one also.

Seen the price of rough shag these days!

Dingdong
01-09-2012, 09:27
That would be my preferred use for one also.

Seen the price of rough shag these days!

It can be surprisingly cheap from some of the crack-whores in town. I do feel a bit unclean afterwards though.

Alex_UK
01-09-2012, 09:52
Totally with you on the "prodding" - I may take up smoking again and get a pipe just to prod!

It can be surprisingly cheap from some of the crack-whores in town. I do feel a bit unclean afterwards though.

Ah, you see, what you need is "Carey's Magic Inch (http://www.eacarey.co.uk/2010/10/the-carey-magic-inch/)" - that'll sort her out - "no bite, no burn, no bitterness."

Dingdong
01-09-2012, 10:06
Totally with you on the "prodding" - I may take up smoking again and get a pipe just to prod!

Ah, you see, what you need is "Carey's Magic Inch (http://www.eacarey.co.uk/2010/10/the-carey-magic-inch/)" - that'll sort her out - "no bite, no burn, no bitterness."

My magic inch does get a burning sensation. Maybe this will work.

Macca
01-09-2012, 10:29

My father smoked a pipe throughout his adult life. He never used it to prod whilst talking. I always thought this a complete waste.

Dingdong
01-09-2012, 10:37
The best use of a pipe is to prod at young people whilst telling them about the error of their ways.
What else would you use it for.

synsei
02-09-2012, 01:14
That's settled then, I'm buying a pipe for its extra gravitas then maybe my grandchildren will actually listen to me... :lol:

Joe
02-09-2012, 08:41
The best use of a pipe is to prod at young people whilst telling them about the error of their ways.
What else would you use it for.

Pointing the way when someone asks for directions.

Marco
02-09-2012, 09:52
Tapping the lower orders on the head when they become too obstreperous.

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
02-09-2012, 10:48
'Air prodding', when the unruly youths are too far away, or when you get particularly animated because the stitches holding the leather patches on the elbows of your cardigan have begun to come undone.

RichB
02-09-2012, 10:48
As someone easily given to a bit of tobacco related tomfoolery I fear it is only a matter of time before the sweet aroma of a flavoured blend appears in my listening lounge , along with some valve amps and reel players.

Barry
02-09-2012, 11:22
Of course a certain “pipe smoking friendly” audio manufacturer was the first to introduce the remote control:

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy88/barrydhunt/IMG_0001-3.jpg

In those days one had "one’s man" to do those things for you.

Dingdong
02-09-2012, 16:05
So who's going to organise a group buy on pipes then? I'm sure most of you could do with a Magic Inch.

Macca
02-09-2012, 16:19
I'm going to get one of my dad's I think. They are pretty expensive to buy. Then I will have to go out and find a rough shag. I mean some rough shag.

awkwardbydesign
02-09-2012, 20:00
Is this the kind of young person who needs a good prod? Hmm?
https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFmDLJAnIonk87ubo_2ju7hglyMubK9 uO-EWsk6_NSn6tqLOC4

Barry
02-09-2012, 20:12
Is this the kind of young person who needs a good prod? Hmm?
https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFmDLJAnIonk87ubo_2ju7hglyMubK9 uO-EWsk6_NSn6tqLOC4

What is she doing?!!! :scratch:

Alex_UK
02-09-2012, 20:17
Playing some sort of futuristic oboe, as opposed to a pink one.

Reid Malenfant
02-09-2012, 20:24
What is she doing?!!! :scratch:
Hopefully getting a good lung full of some superb herb :D

Barry
02-09-2012, 20:27
Hopefully getting a good lung full of some superb herb :D

Well that's what I thought, thought it is a peculiar looking 'bong'.

One wonders how good she is with Alex's suggestion? :D

Dingdong
02-09-2012, 20:49
Does anybody know a good source for high quality tafetta?

Alex_UK
02-09-2012, 20:56
Does anybody know a good source for high quality tafetta?

Oh God, you're not making curtains, are you?

http://www.terrysfabrics.co.uk/cat/curtain-fabrics/silk-taffetta-fabrics/

: passthekleenex :

Barry
02-09-2012, 21:00
Oh God, you're not making curtains, are you?

http://www.terrysfabrics.co.uk/cat/curtain-fabrics/silk-taffetta-fabrics/

: passthekleenex :

Of course not - he's lining his 'ra-ra' skirt. This is all about thread drift!

Dingdong
02-09-2012, 21:10
I'm planning to make myself a hifi listening suit from finest tafetta.

Barry
02-09-2012, 21:15
I'm planning to make myself a hifi listening suit from finest tafetta.

Sound like a good idea.

May I suggest you wear it with spiked running shoes? That way you can dispense with fancy spiked racks, isolation platforms etc.

Alex_UK
02-09-2012, 21:16
What a fantastic idea Barry - how about a sorbothane seat-of-the-pants, too? :)

Dingdong
02-09-2012, 21:22
Should I go for a 3-piece suit in tafetta or the trousers and waistcoat in tafetta with a velour smoking jacket?
Maybe a silk paisley cravat to set it all off.
Pipe would have to be a full bend I think. None of that quarter bend or straight nonsense.

Barry
02-09-2012, 21:31
Should I go for a 3-piece suit in tafetta or the trousers and waistcoat in tafetta with a velour smoking jacket?
Maybe a silk paisley cravat to set it all off.
Pipe would have to be a full bend I think. None of that quarter bend or straight nonsense.

No, not velour - proper silk velvet (none of your cotton velvet stuff), or a quilted satin jacket. And it must be worn with a velvet smoking cap with a silk tassel.

Oh and the pipe, a Meerschaum pipe, a la Sherlock Holmes.

Dingdong
02-09-2012, 21:47
No, not velour - proper silk velvet (none of your cotton velvet stuff), or a quilted satin jacket. And it must be worn with a velvet smoking cap with a silk tassel.

Oh and the pipe, a Meerschaum pipe, a la Sherlock Holmes.

My budget doesn't stretch that far. Do you think tafetta, velour and a Magic Inch would look a bit too cheap? Perhaps I could upgrade some bits in the future.
A smoking cap would be rather splendid. I'd perhaps have to purchase a new sofa to match.

awkwardbydesign
02-09-2012, 22:19
Alex UK; can you change your picture for these pervy threads, please? That little girl looking at me is very unsettling!

Dingdong
02-09-2012, 22:38
I'll tell you what I find unsettling. The popularity of Dizzee Rascal.

The Grand Wazoo
02-09-2012, 22:43
Sound like a good idea.

May I suggest you wear it with spiked running shoes?

Oi, I'll have you know that back in the early '90's, I had a small sideline selling pure silver and silver plated interconnects under the name 'The Spiked Listening Shoe'.
True story.
I never made any real lolly at it because I charged about 30% of what the competition was charging at the time.

synsei
03-09-2012, 06:16
Oi, I'll have you know that back in the early '90's, I had a small sideline selling pure silver and silver plated interconnects under the name 'The Spiked Listening Shoe'.
True story.
I never made any real lolly at it because I charged about 30% of what the competition was charging at the time.

Then it is your sworn duty sir to resurrect this fine institution to facilitate the imminent arrival of the new hifi themed boutique, http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/PAP.png :D

RichB
03-09-2012, 11:51
Guys, this thread is killing me (literally),

every day as I walk down victoria street I pass a fine vendor of tobacco products who stocks an outstanding range of cigars, pipes and smoking paraphenalia... I've already upgraded my baccy tin and experimented with flavoured cigarette papers and filters (quite into a bit of menthol at the moment), now as a result of this thread I find myself drawn to the pipe counter and considering an entry level purchase!

Where to start, the array is bewildering?

Macca
03-09-2012, 12:05
Pipes are a bit like the reel 2 reel of the smoking world. Not many people own or use them anymore so it is not that easy to get good advice. Can't your dealer help you Rich?

Dingdong
03-09-2012, 13:35
Just setting off to the olympics. Keep your eye out for me on the tellybox.

WOStantonCS100
06-09-2012, 23:47
Just setting off to the olympics. Keep your eye out for me on the tellybox.

Sorry, no tellybox. I do know where I can find smellysox. I would suggest though that if one has smellysox that one listens to music sitting down with the offenders as far away from the nostrils as possible. I don't advise taking them off. If ones feet are particular hardened, the early reflections can mess with the soundstage. No need to thank me. I have plenty of worthless advice to go 'round.

synsei
07-09-2012, 01:06
I found a tin of Spam in the back of the larder earlier, heaven knows how long its been there... :rolleyes:

Alex_UK
07-09-2012, 06:09
One has a larder, does one? Very posh.

Whatever happened to Lada? I think they were made out of old Spam tins. Perhaps there's not enough Spam consumption these days to provide the raw materials.

The Grand Wazoo
07-09-2012, 06:39
I found a tin of Spam in the back of the larder earlier, heaven knows how long its been there..

You should cut it up send a little piece to everyone in your address book via 2nd class Royal Mail..........that's how they did it when I were a lad y'know. None o' that digital nonsense!

Dingdong
07-09-2012, 10:48
Did you know that maps is an anagram of spam?

Alex_UK
07-09-2012, 11:18
pams amps maps spam

synsei
07-09-2012, 14:55
One has a larder, does one? Very posh.

Whatever happened to Lada? I think they were made out of old Spam tins. Perhaps there's not enough Spam consumption these days to provide the raw materials.

I'll have you know that the Lada Niva Cossack is a very capable off road vehicle, although having to bolt all the bits back on that fall off after such excursions is a little inconvenient... :rolleyes:

Reid Malenfant
07-09-2012, 18:40
I'll have you know that the Lada Niva Cossack is a very capable off road vehicle, although having bolt all the bits back on that fall off after such excursions is a little inconvenient... :rolleyes:
Hmmm, I wonder if you could shoehorn a Fiat Supermirafiori engine into one of those like you can the standard Lada Riva :scratch:

2L twin cam, it'd go like stink :eek:

Of course, it'd probably fall to bits even faster :rfl:

synsei
07-09-2012, 19:56
I'm guessing you could at that. Offroad go-kart anyone? :D

walpurgis
07-09-2012, 20:45
Hmmm, I wonder if you could shoehorn a Fiat Supermirafiori engine into one of those like you can the standard Lada Riva :scratch:

2L twin cam, it'd go like stink :eek:

Of course, it'd probably fall to bits even faster :rfl:

I believe the Fiat block casting is largely compatible, mount positions etc. Would it mate to the gearbox and could the transmission cope with the extra power? It'd probably rip the rear axle off it's springs. Not a project for me.

As a loony project, I'd sooner try bunging a Subaru Legacy flat six into a Caterham Seven. That'd take some sorting (one off bell housing, clutch, crank & gearbox mods etc.).

bobbasrah
08-09-2012, 12:52
As a loony project, I'd sooner try bunging a Subaru Legacy flat six into a Caterham Seven. That'd take some sorting (one off bell housing, clutch, crank & gearbox mods etc.).

Alternatively....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B25qE9WThzY
:stalks:

walpurgis
08-09-2012, 16:50
Very strange, does it keep buffering and giving 'pop-ups' as you're driving?

Marco
08-09-2012, 19:21
Very strange, does it keep buffering and giving 'pop-ups' as you're driving?

Nope, if it pops up while I'm driving, she 'buffs' it, and it pops down again.

Marco.

walpurgis
08-09-2012, 19:35
Haven't had one that does that for some time. Running costs too high!

Dingdong
10-09-2012, 16:53
Just to get this thread back on track, I am selling my Bosch washing machine. It's a few years old and the door needs a kick sometimes. Best offer by Sunday gets it.

Macca
10-09-2012, 21:28
Just to get this thread back on track, I am selling my Bosch washing machine. It's a few years old and the door needs a kick sometimes. Best offer by Sunday gets it.

Blatent spamming on an otherwise serious thread - where are the moderators?:rolleyes:

Dingdong
10-09-2012, 21:46
Blatent spamming on an otherwise serious thread - where are the moderators?:rolleyes:

Probably prancing around in their frillies listening to old Sinita lp's.

Reid Malenfant
10-09-2012, 21:48
He's got to be, so macho :D

synsei
10-09-2012, 22:23
Oh god, that's the forum completely ruined now. Up until today we have heroically avoided any reference to Stock, Aitken and Waterman... :eek:

Dingdong
10-09-2012, 22:46
Whatever happened to Jivebunny?

Macca
11-09-2012, 07:48
Whatever happened to Jivebunny?

Mixamatosis?

synsei
11-09-2012, 07:56
I always thought the word Mixamatosis would better describe a virulent disease which afflicts ageing DJ's...

The Grand Wazoo
11-09-2012, 08:06
I tend to do it when I fancy a change from cheese, so every now & then, I have one with ham in it.....'mixin' ma toasties'

Dingdong
14-09-2012, 06:50
Quick bump. Washing machine still available.

Would be happy to swap for a good slave. Got a few jobs need doing around the house.

Marco
14-09-2012, 07:17
What colour is it? I'm looking for an orange one.

Marco.

Alex_UK
17-09-2012, 20:46
Would be happy to swap for a good slave.

What colour is it? I'm looking for an orange one.

Got a couple of these going spare if you want one?

http://images.fastcompany.com/upload/OompaLoompa3.jpg

Dingdong
17-09-2012, 22:10
Got a couple of these going spare if you want one?

http://images.fastcompany.com/upload/OompaLoompa3.jpg

Just to go off topic a bit. I'd love an Oompaloompa, but I'm worried about the constant singing. I reckon my washing machine is worth a couple of them. Has anybody tried them and what do you think? Are they cat friendly?

synsei
17-09-2012, 23:12
Just to go off topic a bit. I'd love an Oompaloompa, but I'm worried about the constant singing. I reckon my washing machine is worth a couple of them. Has anybody tried them and what do you think? Are they cat friendly?

I'm not sure they are, you might come home from work and find your pussies covered in chocolate... :D

Dingdong
18-09-2012, 10:44
I'm not sure they are, you might come home from work and find your pussies covered in chocolate... :D

I don't mind a pussy covered in chocolate.

bobbasrah
18-09-2012, 11:00
Thank god somebody delivered the punchline.....

Dingdong
19-09-2012, 15:34
Talking about punchlines. I've got a really good one for you.

It was a blue one!!:laugh:

I crack myself up at times.

synsei
19-09-2012, 15:55
What irks me is when I have a tizzy and I'm accused of amateur dramatics. I'd like to state for the benefit of the audience that I make every effort to inject Oscar winning performances into my tizzies... :cool:

YNWaN
19-09-2012, 17:45
Thread drift, it it annoying?

Yes, very much so - and particularly when that 'drift' is for political or egotistical reasons!

The Grand Wazoo
19-09-2012, 18:58
..........and particularly when that 'drift' is for political or egotistical reasons!

Nonsense -
Vote for me, I'm fab!

Effem
21-09-2012, 09:58
Thread drift? What's that? :scratch:

We are primarily here to discuss hi-fi (Pamela Anderson's tits) and because we are human (Will the coalition survive another 2 years?) we are known to discuss (Isn't the weather awful?) other matters which may or may not (Didn't we do well at the Olympics?) be part of our daily lives (Pamela Anderson's tits) so if our interchanges deviate slightly off their intended track (Who likes brown ale?) then it is only (Pamela Anderson's tits) to be expected.

I think it is (Ladies bicycle seats) for the original poster to keep track (Lend me a tenner mate) of the thread they started and to (Pamela Anderson's tits) bring the thread back onto the correct (Good crochet patterns) path (Pamela Anderson's tits).

walpurgis
21-09-2012, 10:14
Glad to see somebody finally taking things seriously.

Dingdong
22-09-2012, 18:24
Pub quiz night. Woohoo!!

icehockeyboy
24-09-2012, 20:52
Watching Downton Abbey, again!

synsei
24-09-2012, 21:01
Cadre Ova Mind is an anagram of David Cameron :eyebrows:

Alex_UK
24-09-2012, 21:19
As is "A Random Viced"

Cancel Vibe is an anagram of Vince Cable.

I don't think there is an anagram for Nick Clegg.

Dingdong
24-09-2012, 21:34
What is a Nick Clegg?

I've heard Vince Cable, and tbh I prefer Mark Grant Cable.

synsei
24-09-2012, 21:37
Isn't a Nick Clegg a 'thick as a brick' slab you place under conservative sounding equipment to make it more palatable?

Dingdong
24-09-2012, 21:44
Did you know that if you took some of the letters from 'piss poor apologetic wanker' and added some other letters it would spell Nick Clegg?

Beechwoods
24-09-2012, 21:55
Wasn't he the Doctor on EastEnders?

synsei
24-09-2012, 21:59
cZYa_KfLTtM

Dingdong
24-09-2012, 22:02

Didn't he die? Or am I thinking about some other bloke that died?

Macca
25-09-2012, 07:49
Didn't he die? Or am I thinking about some other bloke that died?

Some other bloke.

You still selling that washing machine Mark? Is it one of those models that can walk around the kitchen on it's own? That's a deal-breaker for me.

Beechwoods
25-09-2012, 08:06
cZYa_KfLTtM

HELofmbpDM0

Marco
25-09-2012, 15:11

No, that was 'Dr Legg': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Legg

Yes, I am available for quiz hire, at a reasonable fee ;)

Marco.

Dingdong
25-09-2012, 17:15
Some other bloke.

You still selling that washing machine Mark? Is it one of those models that can walk around the kitchen on it's own? That's a deal-breaker for me.

I have never seen it walk. It did stick a leg out and trip me up once, the bastard.

On a serious note: If anyone does want a bosch washing machine for nowt let me know. Think the door catch needs a tweek. Seemed to good to be chucking out. Got one of those built in jobbies now.

i've also got a 32" Sony crt telly that needs to go. problem is I can't lift the fecker to take it down the tip.

Beechwoods
25-09-2012, 17:19
No, that was 'Dr Legg': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Legg

Yes, I am available for quiz hire, at a reasonable fee ;)

Marco.

:rolleyes: Just pulling your clegg!

Alex_UK
25-09-2012, 17:25
At least you didn't call him a pleb!

Dingdong
25-09-2012, 17:29
My top tip of the day is: If you are suffering with chafing of the nipples then drip some candle wax on them. It's like having custom fit nipple caps.

walpurgis
25-09-2012, 19:39
At least you didn't call him a pleb!

Make a 'Hello Plebs' sticker for the back of your car and see how long you can drive before a disguntled member of the constabulary pulls you up. Not that you would have commited an offence!

Mr Kipling
31-01-2013, 23:31
Spam: Fritters - or Fricasseed?