PDA

View Full Version : G'day

JakeBlade
01-02-2009, 23:59
How do everyone.

Been following a few threads on here for a week or so, so thought I'd do my bit and muck in with my thoughts and recent experiences.

A friend pursuaded me to drop by and listen to his new "all-digital" set up last year. Well, three months (and a lot of testing) later, and I find myself listening to more music than I've ever listened to in my life!

I run flacs on a QNAP turbostation, through a SB Duet, then a DacMagic into a Rotel RA-06 to power PMC DB1i speakers. I also have a Rotel RCD-06 cdp as back-up, after the first squeezebox decided to die after just 3 weeks. The DacMagic is a recent addition as I found the SB couldn't match the Rotel cdp for playback through the matching amp; still running the dac in...

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what you lot are doing with your flacs, your wavs (and heaven forbid, your mp3s?)!

JakeBlade

Stratmangler
02-02-2009, 00:26
Hi Jake

Good to see another SB user on the forum. I use flac files meself, although tonite I've been playing with iTunes rips from CD. Can't hear much (if any) difference between flac and alac, but both superior to aac@256 kbs, which I believe is the standard default setting on iTunes.

Something I've been playing with recently, with excellent results, is ripping DVD soundtracks with DVD decrypter and processing/editing with Goldwave. Just listening to The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" DVD audio soundtrack, and it just kicks the CD version into the weeds.

I also have a lot of recorded vinyl onto HD - sounds grand, and a lot less hassle than shifting my lardy backside (even lardier since getting SB) to turn those big black disc things over.

Enjoy the forum.

Chris:)

JakeBlade
02-02-2009, 19:39
Thanks Chris.

Must admit that I've been trying to avoid all things ipod and itunes, but would be interested to hear if you're able to squeeze out all 24 bits from your DVD-A in your conversion, and how (or if?) you can get 96k out as well?

One for another thread though I guess...?

I got given an old record autochanger as a kid, which saw good service playing my Ghostbusters and Walt Disney vinyl back-to-back. Happy days! :)

JakeBlade

Beechwoods
02-02-2009, 19:45
Welcome to AOS Jake!

JakeBlade
15-01-2014, 19:35
Hi all. After almost 4 years absence from the site (having had my hifi in storage for about 3 of those years), I thought I'd stick my head back in. My hifi has now been unboxed, and finally all plumbed in. I have just supplemented it with a sansui cdd-201 CD player for the little one to use for nursery rhymes (through daddy's amp). Saves getting toast stuffed into my rotel CD player.

Am thinking of swapping out my dacmagic for the new bushmaster mk2, which is one of the main reasons I'm back on the forum.

J