PDA

View Full Version : Which Mains Socket

YNWaN
23-08-2012, 11:56
So, 'which mains socket' and by that I don't mean which to buy - even more esoteric, I mean which one to plug ones equipment in to!

Now I have a dedicated room for my hi-fi and it all plugs into a dedicated mains spur - this ends in two double, unswitched, Crabtree sockets. Most of my gear is run from a custom made 'hydra' mains lead (four mains leads meeting one mains lead) - the turntable PSU, the pre-amp and both power amps. My phonostage PSU is plugged into another of the sockets and my active sub into a third.

I have had my hydra mains cable plugged into the left socket of the left hand socket plate - but last night I tried it in the left hand socket of the right hand socket plate and bugger me if I didn't feel there was an improvement!

Has anyone else any experience of this type?

dowser
23-08-2012, 12:06
When was it last unplugged? Removing and reconnecting cleaned the terminals? Does it still sound worse if you put it back?

Richard

MikeMusic
23-08-2012, 12:58
So, 'which mains socket' and by that I don't mean which to buy - even more esoteric, I mean which one to plug ones equipment in to!

Now I have a dedicated room for my hi-fi and it all plugs into a dedicated mains spur - this ends in two double, unswitched, Crabtree sockets. Most of my gear is run from a custom made 'hydra' mains lead (four mains leads meeting one mains lead) - the turntable PSU, the pre-amp and both power amps. My phonostage PSU is plugged into another of the sockets and my active sub into a third.

I have had my hydra mains cable plugged into the left socket of the left hand socket plate - but last night I tried it in the left hand socket of the right hand socket plate and bugger me if I didn't feel there was an improvement!

I would expect the same sound - or did I miss something ?
I assume swapping to either of the right sides would degrade the sound

sq225917
23-08-2012, 17:10

You know how to ask a loaded question....

bobbasrah
23-08-2012, 17:30

And the unloaded answer is................
Nope

YNWaN
23-08-2012, 17:38

;)

YNWaN
23-08-2012, 17:40
I would expect the same sound - or did I miss something ?

Why?

I assume swapping to either of the right sides would degrade the sound

Also why?

When was it last unplugged?

Only last week

Removing and reconnecting cleaned the terminals?

I doubt it in this case.

Does it still sound worse if you put it back?

I've not tried yet.

chris@panteg
24-08-2012, 07:38
I think it's something to do with the earth ? How it connects to the ring main , one socket gets the earth before the other one ? Marco is your man on this one I think .

MikeMusic
24-08-2012, 07:51
Why?

Also why?

Sockets : Can't see why they would be different

Left to right :
I tried it on Marco's advice and was staggered to find it worked

MartinT
24-08-2012, 08:25
Left-hand side sounds better with MK double sockets as it gets a more direct route.

I now one of these EPS-100 silver plated sockets fitted.

http://www.the-missing-link.net/new_pa7.jpg

MikeMusic
24-08-2012, 08:27
Left-hand side sounds better with MK double sockets as it gets a more direct route.

I now one of these EPS-100 silver plated sockets fitted.

http://www.the-missing-link.net/new_pa7.jpg
What difference did you find with the EPS ?

MartinT
24-08-2012, 08:28
A small gain in transparency and bass tightness.

MikeMusic
24-08-2012, 08:29
A small gain in transparency and bass tightness.

and at the price of 1 socket VFM ?

MartinT
24-08-2012, 08:55
It only cost £35, so easily good value compared with the price of a power cable.

MikeMusic
24-08-2012, 09:28
It only cost £35, so easily good value compared with the price of a power cable.

Certainly sounds like it. Thanks