PDA

View Full Version : Reel to Reel advice sought

Audio Al
21-08-2012, 12:53
Hello

I have never owned a R2R player and would like to get one

Knowing absolutely nothing about them I would prefer to get a model that has a future , one that can be serviced and repaired " If needed "

So any suggestions as to what make and model to go for without needing a lotto win like this one :eyebrows:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Studer-A820-MCH-16-channel-multitrack-tape-recorder-in-new-condition-/230839740145?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item35bf1ee6f1

No rush , just need to know what to keep a eye out for

Thanks

:)

Beechwoods
21-08-2012, 13:36
What kind of things do you want to play on it / use it for? Your own recordings, pre-recorded tapes? High end or consumer? Have you checked out The Tape Project? http://www.tapeproject.com/

Personally I enjoy collecting old factory made tapes. See my thread here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1929

I need to update the image links since my old web provider went offline.

DSJR
21-08-2012, 14:31
Safe and stodgey old dave suggests a Revox B77. Safe but simple transport that doesn't naturally eat tapes, good electronics with plenty of headroom for those fancy jap made late 70's tapes and a long reliable life generally. I think spares are readily avalaible - brake bands, counter belt etc.. - and they were always consistent. The previous A77 could tear tapes if the wrong buttons were pushed while tapes in motion and there was a large lack of headroom as 1970's tapes improved. Studio masters were sometimes too high in level for an stock A77 and could clip the playback amps I remember.

Obviously, there are also TEAC's out there, Sony and Akai heavyweights, Tandberg lightweights and my favourite Revox alternative the service-needy Ferrograph Logic 7.

Unless you only want to play around, I'd avoid the electrically noisy Akai 4000D series and the Sony TC366/377/399/645, as these aren't as good as a half decent later cassette deck in my experience.

Audio Al
21-08-2012, 15:14
What kind of things do you want to play on it / use it for? Your own recordings, pre-recorded tapes? High end or consumer? Have you checked out The Tape Project? http://www.tapeproject.com/

Personally I enjoy collecting old factory made tapes. See my thread here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1929

I need to update the image links since my old web provider went offline.

Hi , mainly want to play back pre recorded tapes through my Quad 2 's and ELS57'S , but if the option is available to record as well all the better
Just had a quick look at The Tape Projects site , lots to read , look to be aimed at the US side of the world

:)

Audio Al
21-08-2012, 15:15
Safe and stodgey old dave suggests a Revox B77. Safe but simple transport that doesn't naturally eat tapes, good electronics with plenty of headroom for those fancy jap made late 70's tapes and a long reliable life generally. I think spares are readily avalaible - brake bands, counter belt etc.. - and they were always consistent. The previous A77 could tear tapes if the wrong buttons were pushed while tapes in motion and there was a large lack of headroom as 1970's tapes improved. Studio masters were sometimes too high in level for an stock A77 and could clip the playback amps I remember.

Obviously, there are also TEAC's out there, Sony and Akai heavyweights, Tandberg lightweights and my favourite Revox alternative the service-needy Ferrograph Logic 7.

Unless you only want to play around, I'd avoid the electrically noisy Akai 4000D series and the Sony TC366/377/399/645, as these aren't as good as a half decent later cassette deck in my experience.

Revox B77 , thats one I have been looking at , thanks for your suggestions :)

Spectral Morn
21-08-2012, 17:38
I would say late A77 or a B77 (mk2 in my view is better than a mk1 but not by much) as DSJR says. Plenty of spares available for Revox machines and bar the belt that runs the tape counter there are no drive belts to go wrong. Look for very badly worn heads, a tape head with a bit of wear will have a very slightly flattened curved head if its very flat its knackered.

Beechwoods
21-08-2012, 18:08
What's your budget Allen? I think you'll find the Revox is a reliable and serviceable machine, but it's not the only one out there. If you're interested in playing pre-recorded tapes, you don't necessarily need a machine capable of playing 10" reels. My Pioneer RT707, or the Akai GX-77 are two late 70's / early 80's 7" reel capable machines that have a relatively low profile, fit well into a typical system, offer such mod-cons as auto-reverse. The RT707 is direct-drive throughout. If I could have one machine only I'd probably go for the RT707. Servicesound in Bexhill-on-Sea service them nicely. They service loads of machines to be honest. They've done my Sony TC-377 and my Tandberg TD20A.

Here's a pic of my 707

http://i560.photobucket.com/albums/ss49/aos_images/beechwoods_den/file-3.jpg

DSJR
21-08-2012, 22:16
Revox heads are designed to have flats on them and the head design means they'll run well like this for hundreds of hours before finally letting go high frequencies. Not sure if these take to being lapped though, as others do, because i think from memory that when the Revox heads are done in, it's because they really are..

Neil, I don't think there was any difference between the mk1 and mk2 B77 apart from the vari-speed adjustment, although I could be wrong. No sonic difference I could detect anyway, having used both and owned a series 2. The A77's I had most experience of were the late mk3 and mk4 machines and BOTH of them clipped quite badly on Dolby-A master tapes from EMI, needing a mod to the playback cards to increase headroom at the time.

seoirse2002
11-09-2012, 22:16
Hi Guys,
Just spotted this thread...can any of you open reel fans please give me an idea of the best stuff to clean the heads of my Sony tc 730 please?
Many years ago my brother,who was a sound engineer at the time used to use neat gin:mental:
Im sure there is a modern alternative.
Ta in advance

Rare Bird
11-09-2012, 22:24
Isopropyl alcohol for both the heads & pinch Roller..

seoirse2002
11-09-2012, 22:57
Thanks for that.....where to get?
Ta:)

The Grand Wazoo
11-09-2012, 23:04
I just bought some from this guy (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IPA-Isopropyl-Alcohol-Isopropanol-1-LITRE-99-9-1L-x-2-2-x-1-litre-cans-/271046865585?pt=UK_BOI_Medical_Lab_Equipment_Lab_S upplies_ET&hash=item3f1ba6f2b1#ht_1649wt_1344) last week.

Beechwoods
12-09-2012, 05:53
I got enough to last a few lifetimes worth of tape deck cleaning, from Maplin.

seoirse2002
12-09-2012, 09:12
Wow,
Thats a lot! and has so many other uses....many thanks all:)
(that would be a good thread on here,
"Isopropol..."what have you successfully used it for"?)
her indoors says its a good nail varnish remover:cool:

Rare Bird
12-09-2012, 14:28
I get bathed in it, it's how i maintain my astonishingly good looks :eyebrows:

Beechwoods
12-09-2012, 15:07
I was wondering why you gave up smoking!

:mad:

Rare Bird
13-09-2012, 11:17
http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/smoking-030.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/skype-emoticons.html)

synsei
13-09-2012, 12:15
I was warned off using IPA on pinch rollers because allegedly it attacks the rubber compound and leads to hardening over time and subsequent cracking. Is this correct? I was advised to use de-ionized water and a felt pad.

Beechwoods
13-09-2012, 12:56
Modern rubbers don't seem to be affected but I'd be careful about using it on rubber rollers from the 60's which were prone to ageing anyway. I certainly wouldn't use it on my own machines if I had any doubt about it having a negative affect and I've been using IPA for years without problems.

synsei
13-09-2012, 13:02
Cheers Nick that's good to know ;)

Canetoad
15-11-2012, 12:29
What sort of price is reasonable for a Revox B77 or Pioneer RT-707, given that they would probably need servicing to bring them back to perfect working condition?

Beechwoods
15-11-2012, 17:10
Factor a £160-200 service into the price unless it comes with a recent service and some kind of guarantee.

If you can't audition the gear before you buy then its hit and miss whether it'll be performing to spec when you get it...

Canetoad
16-11-2012, 15:36
Hi Nick, What would you pay for an RT-707 in perfect working condition? I'm just not sure what is a reasonable price these days and what isn't. :scratch:

Beechwoods
16-11-2012, 16:25
I paid £415 for mine a couple of years ago; recently serviced and in excellent cosmetic and functional condition. Ones I see on eBay for less tend to be in more problematic condition. A private sale might get you one cheaper though!

Canetoad
17-11-2012, 15:30
Thanks Nick. :)

The Black Adder
19-11-2012, 19:23
The 707 is a lovely deck... One of my faves! Along side the Nagras.

The Black Adder
19-11-2012, 19:25
Isopropyl alcohol for both the heads & pinch Roller..

There was some company in the states selling Rubber Rejuvenation / cleaning solution for pinch rollers... I had some once, it's a pinky liquid but never found out if it was any good as I sold it along with a deck.