PDA

View Full Version : The best Prog band you don't know

MikeMusic
17-08-2012, 06:56
Quatermass
John Gustafson, Peter Robinson, Mick Underwood
Vocals/Bass, Keyboards, Drums
Reminiscent of early Deep Purple
One of those odd things that they never made it as they seemed to have everything
Needs to be played loud
:)
AllMusic puts it well
http://www.allmusic.com/album/quatermass-mw0000043305
Quatermass' only album is a must-have for prog rock enthusiasts, especially lovers of the keyboard-dominated style which flourished in the early '70s. Although there are only three members of the band, their histories are just as colorful as the music they produced. Keyboard player Pete Robinson and bass man Johnny Gustafson met drummer Mick Underwood and founded Episode Six, a band which included Ian Gillan who later fronted Deep Purple. Underwood was also involved with the Outlaws as well as the Herd, only a few years before Peter Frampton arrived. When the band finally formed Quatermass in 1970, they had set their sights on a power rock format which would use Robinson's keyboards to shape their sound. Both "Black Sheep" and "One Blind Mice" were released as singles which fell mostly on deaf ears, but the band's sound was equally as moving as the Nice's repertoire, for example, at around the same time. Quatermass' sound is far from sounding hollow, isolated, or directionless, but all of the cuts are rather rock-sturdy and instrumentally voluptuous from all points. The string work that swoops in is encompassing, Underwood's drumming exhibits personality, and the keyboard portions are remarkably striking and distinct. Even Gustafson's robust vocals work well within the music's structure, subsiding and ascending when called for, and all of the cuts result in worthy examples of well-built progressive rock, in both ballad and power rock form. Following this album, the band broke up, with Gustafson later doing session work for Kevin Ayers, Steve Hackett, and Ian Hunter, among others, while Robinson found new life within the jazz-prog band Brand X. Beautifully packaged with informative liner notes, Quatermass sounds as resounding today as it did in 1970, and upon hearing it, one can only wonder why it was so overlooked during its release.

John
17-08-2012, 07:03
Its a long time since I heard that, must check it out again Thanks Mike

MikeMusic
17-08-2012, 07:12
Its a long time since I heard that, must check it out again Thanks Mike
I go through the alphabet in my LPs and rediscover bands and albums I forgot
Have the LP, just got the CD as well with a couple of fair bonus tracks

Also just filled in some gaps on
Robert Palmer
Roxy Music
When my front end is upgraded I'm hoping to extract even more enjoyment

PLINIUS
09-09-2012, 11:19
Quatermass
John Gustafson, Peter Robinson, Mick Underwood
Vocals/Bass, Keyboards, Drums
Reminiscent of early Deep Purple
One of those odd things that they never made it as they seemed to have everything
Needs to be played loud
AllMusic puts it well
http://www.allmusic.com/album/quatermass-mw0000043305
Quatermass' only album is a must-have for prog rock enthusiasts, especially lovers of the keyboard-dominated style which flourished in the early '70s. Although there are only three members of the band, their histories are just as colorful as the music they produced. Keyboard player Pete Robinson and bass man Johnny Gustafson met drummer Mick Underwood and founded Episode Six, a band which included Ian Gillan who later fronted Deep Purple. Underwood was also involved with the Outlaws as well as the Herd, only a few years before Peter Frampton arrived. When the band finally formed Quatermass in 1970, they had set their sights on a power rock format which would use Robinson's keyboards to shape their sound. Both "Black Sheep" and "One Blind Mice" were released as singles which fell mostly on deaf ears, but the band's sound was equally as moving as the Nice's repertoire, for example, at around the same time. Quatermass' sound is far from sounding hollow, isolated, or directionless, but all of the cuts are rather rock-sturdy and instrumentally voluptuous from all points. The string work that swoops in is encompassing, Underwood's drumming exhibits personality, and the keyboard portions are remarkably striking and distinct. Even Gustafson's robust vocals work well within the music's structure, subsiding and ascending when called for, and all of the cuts result in worthy examples of well-built progressive rock, in both ballad and power rock form. Following this album, the band broke up, with Gustafson later doing session work for Kevin Ayers, Steve Hackett, and Ian Hunter, among others, while Robinson found new life within the jazz-prog band Brand X. Beautifully packaged with informative liner notes, Quatermass sounds as resounding today as it did in 1970, and upon hearing it, one can only wonder why it was so overlooked during its release.
John Gustafson joined John Du Cann and Paul Hammond, formerly of Atomic Rooster to form Bullet in 1971, the name was changed to Hard Stuff as the result of a legal challenge from an American group with the same name. Their annoyance was expressed in the title of there first album - Bulletproof. on the Purple Label

jollyfix
09-09-2012, 11:41
I used buy old sampler Lp's (PICNIC, BUMPERS, YOU CAN ALL JOIN IN, EL PEA etc) from mrs kellys records (Cardiff market) back in the 80's. through those i got into quatermass, spooky tooth, blodwyn pig, king crimson, if, etc...I would then go back to mrs Kellys and purchase the original Lp's of the bands i liked on the samplers.

walpurgis
09-09-2012, 11:43
Who's heard 'Wolf' by Trevor Rabin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_(Trevor_Rabin_album)

Album released in 1981 on Chrysalis label, some really hard hitting stuff with very potent guitar work, 'Open Ended' track being a mighty head banger! You can hear it on YouTube.

I believe his career took off after some major interest by Manfred Mann of all people.

I have the original vinyl release and also have it on CD. Definitely one for every rock collection!

walpurgis
09-09-2012, 11:56
Here's another one for you:

'Restless' by Randy California (formerly with the amazing band Spirit).

Its a great prog-rock album which I wouldn't be without. The track 'Chidhood's End' is a rock masterpiece, it has everything!!! He was an astonishing guitarist.

Here's his (tragic) history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_California

MikeMusic
09-09-2012, 13:18
I used buy old sampler Lp's (PICNIC, BUMPERS, YOU CAN ALL JOIN IN, EL PEA etc) from mrs kellys records (Cardiff market) back in the 80's. through those i got into quatermass, spooky tooth, blodwyn pig, king crimson, if, etc...I would then go back to mrs Kellys and purchase the original Lp's of the bands i liked on the samplers.

Me too
Still finding gems with Uncut and other "Various" plus a load of average

MikeMusic
09-09-2012, 13:21
Here's another one for you:

'Restless' by Randy California (formerly with the amazing band Spirit).

Its a great prog-rock album which I wouldn't be without. The track 'Chidhood's End' is a rock masterpiece, it has everything!!! He was an astonishing guitarist.

Here's his (tragic) history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_California

Don't know Rabin and not heard of the Restless album. I have most of Spirit's output and a fair bit of RC
thanks will go listeninig
BTW if ypu don't know
Kapt Kopter and the fabulous Twirly Birds is great

MikeMusic
09-09-2012, 13:28
John Gustafson joined John Du Cann and Paul Hammond, formerly of Atomic Rooster to form Bullet in 1971, the name was changed to Hard Stuff as the result of a legal challenge from an American group with the same name. Their annoyance was expressed in the title of there first album - Bulletproof. on the Purple Label

Thanks will investigate Hard Stuff

The Grand Wazoo
09-09-2012, 13:33
I had that Rabin album once - not bad. I still have one of his, not sure which one. Spirit & Randy C - excellent!
I hate sticking folks & bands into genre pigeon-holes, but I'd never think of describing either of the above with the label of 'prog'.

MikeMusic
09-09-2012, 13:52
I had that Rabin album once - not bad. I still have one of his, not sure which one. Spirit & Randy C - excellent!
I hate sticking folks & bands into genre pigeon-holes, but I'd never think of describing either of the above with the label of 'prog'.

Don't know if age is telling me lies, but I think everything was Prog or pop around late 60s - could just be me and my mates of course

Then it started 'genreising' - I think.

The Grand Wazoo
09-09-2012, 13:57
Well, yes.
Steady Mike, we're treading on dangerous ground here!
Yes, almost everything that wasn't teeny bopper pop music was described as progressive -

MikeMusic
09-09-2012, 14:13
Well, yes.
Steady Mike, we're treading on dangerous ground here!
Yes, almost everything that wasn't teeny bopper pop music was described as progressive -

Tripped me up a few times as I didn't go for 'pop music' and similar
Always liked The Beatles
Converted to Alex Harvey, ELO and others classed as pop or more mainstream
I keep finding artists that I really like that are not 'my type of music' - which now ranges quite far and wide, but not as far and wide as the late and much missed Mr Peel

walpurgis
09-09-2012, 14:34
Been enjoying listening to Shpongle recently (great recordings), but its hardly prog!

walpurgis
09-09-2012, 14:36
Don't know Rabin and not heard of the Restless album. I have most of Spirit's output and a fair bit of RC
thanks will go listeninig
BTW if ypu don't know
Kapt Kopter and the fabulous Twirly Birds is great

Don't know Kapt Kopter. Will check out!

John
09-09-2012, 14:37
Saw Randy play at the Marquee a few times great gigs

walpurgis
09-09-2012, 14:43
Missed out on that, but I used to go and see Hawkwind regularly. They played locally a lot, great fun!

The Grand Wazoo
09-09-2012, 15:15
Blodwyn Pig have been mentioned a couple of times on AoS over the last few days - quite right too!
If you like them, you might like this - contender for the worst album cover anywhere....ever: Elias Hulk - 'Unchained' - it's a bit more leaden than Blodders, more guitar, less sax. I play it a lot!

Here it is on Grooveshark (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Unchained/5673165)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510sINWSGTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Rare Bird
09-09-2012, 15:30
O dear why do these threads fall to pieces before the end of the first page :doh:

The Grand Wazoo
09-09-2012, 15:57
Come on then Andre, prog bands that Mike hasn't heard of.
I'm off to listen to 'Death Walks Behind You' as requested by Mrs Wazoo.

MikeMusic
09-09-2012, 16:10
Been enjoying listening to Shpongle recently (great recordings), but its hardly prog!

Don't know em, on the list to check

MikeMusic
09-09-2012, 16:13
Blodwyn Pig have been mentioned a couple of times on AoS over the last few days - quite right too!
If you like them, you might like this - contender for the worst album cover anywhere....ever: Elias Hulk - 'Unchained'

on the list to check

Rare Bird
09-09-2012, 16:54
Come on then Andre, prog bands that Mike hasn't heard of.

btw: Quatermass are Heavy Prog..

Ok a quick 25 early Prog bands with the LP's i recommend..

Fuzzy Duck 'Fuzzy Duck'
Odin 'Odin
Indian Summer 'Indian Summer'
Pacific Sounds'Forget Your Dreams'
Fusion Orchestra 'Skeleton In Armour'
Gracious 'Gracious', 'This Is'
Greatest Show On Earth 'Horizons', 'The Going Is Easy'
High Tide 'Sea Shanty', High Tide'
Jody Grind 'Far Canal', 'One Step On'
Steel Mill 'Green Eyed God'
Bramstoker 'Heavy Rock Spectacular'
Writing On The Wall 'The Power Of Picts'
Spring 'Spring'
Cressida 'Cressida', 'Asylum'
Raw Material 'Raw Material', 'Time Is'
Gravy Train '(A Ballard Of) A Peaceful Man', Gravy Train'
Julians Treatment 'A Time Before This'
CMU 'Open Spaces'
Skin Alley 'Skin Alley, 'To Pagham & Beyond'
Still Life 'Still Life'
Dr.Z 'Three Parts To My Soul'
Titus Groan 'Titus Groan'
Zior 'Zior'
Black Widow 'Sacrifice'
Arcadium 'Breathe Awhile'

John
09-09-2012, 17:51
Only heard of 5 pretty bad by me

walpurgis
09-09-2012, 19:34
Who remembers or has 'The Last Puff' album by Spooky Tooth?

What a great album! Been a favourite of mine for more than half a lifetime. Their version of 'I am the walrus' was the best ever, just amazing!

Rare Bird
09-09-2012, 20:25
Who remembers or has 'The Last Puff' album by Spooky Tooth?

What a great album! Been a favourite of mine for more than half a lifetime. Their version of 'I am the walrus' was the best ever, just amazing!

Hi Geoff

I only have time for the Spooky Tooth/Pierre Henry 'Ceremony' LP..

As for the 'I Am The Walrus' being best ever, well check out .. Check out Affinity's cover of it :eyebrows:

jollyfix
09-09-2012, 22:16
same here Geoff, was playing the last puff only the other day.

jollyfix
09-09-2012, 22:25
just had a listen to Affinity's version, good choice but for me i prefer Spooky Tooth's version due to a different feel to the song, like isaac hayes, or the stranglers version of walk on by.

Haselsh1
09-09-2012, 22:32

Simon Posford or Shpongle is unbelievably good in my humble opinion. He's also done a shedload of stuff under other names all of which is damn fine. Check out 'A Flock of Bleeps'.

walpurgis
09-09-2012, 22:40
Got 'Flock of Bleeps'. Very good!

Try 'There Will be No Armageddon' by UnionJack. Not Posford but superb!

rusty bearing
10-09-2012, 06:38
Pleased to see Julians Treatment-'A time before this' in Rare Birds list.
Excellent concept album with 'cracking vocals'
I still regularly dig out my vinyl copy and give it a spin!
Might not be everyones cup of tea of course but the 'Strange things....' track never fails to get the feet tapping.....:)

Used to love Uriah Heeps 'Salisbury' album, that were a bit 'prog' in it's day.....

Spectral Morn
10-09-2012, 06:54
Who's heard 'Wolf' by Trevor Rabin?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_(Trevor_Rabin_album)

Album released in 1981 on Chrysalis label, some really hard hitting stuff with very potent guitar work, 'Open Ended' track being a mighty head banger! You can hear it on YouTube.

I believe his career took off after some major interest by Manfred Mann of all people.

I have the original vinyl release and also have it on CD. Definitely one for every rock collection!

Not a Prog band/album but melodic AOR.

However it is a good album.

Rare Bird
10-09-2012, 07:08
Pleased to see Julians Treatment-'A time before this' in Rare Birds list.
Excellent concept album with 'cracking vocals'
I still regularly dig out my vinyl copy and give it a spin!
Might not be everyones cup of tea of course but the 'Strange things....' track never fails to get the feet tapping.....:)

And Julian Jay Savarin 'Waiters On The Dance' which is petty much the same thing but better imho..I have both on vinyl.. :eyebrows:

Rare Bird
10-09-2012, 07:17
Used to love Uriah Heeps 'Salisbury' album, that were a bit 'prog' in it's day.....

Well it was released on the premiere Prog label back then & the title track is deffo Prog..Brasstastic infact. :eyebrows:

Rare Bird
10-09-2012, 08:26
Some Italian Prog favs you may not have heard of :

Alphataurus 'Alphataurus'
Allusa Falax 'Intronto...'
Analogy 'Analogy'
Il Balletto Di Bronzo 'YS'
Blocco Mentale 'POA'
Blue Phantom 'Distortions'
I Califfi 'Fiori Do Matallo'
Campo Di Marti 'Campo Di Marti'
Cherry Five 'Cherry Five'
Circus 2000 'Circus 2000', 'An Esape From A Box'
De De Lind 'Ion Non Sa Da Dove'
E.A.Poe 'Generazioni'
Gli Aluminogeni 'Scolopendra'
Latte E Miele 'Papilon', 'Passio Secundum'
Le Orme 'Collage'
L'Uovo Di Colombo 'L'Uovo Di Colombo'
Metamorphosi 'Inferno'
New Trolls 'Concherto Grosso', 'Searching For Land'
Osage Tribe 'Arrow Head'
Il Paese Die Balocchi 'Il Paese Die Balocchi'
Panna Freda 'Uno'
Psycheground Group 'Psycheground Group'
Quella Vecchia Locannda 'Quella Vecchia Locanda'
Roccomandata Con Recevuta 'Roccomandata Con Recevuta'
Reale Accademia Di Musica 'Reale Accademia Di Musica'
Traide '1998: La Storia D Sabazio'
The Trip 'Caronte', 'Alantide', 'The Trip'

MikeMusic
10-09-2012, 08:31
More of my favs you probably not heard of :

I think I have heard of some, sampled and moved on
Colosseum of course just wonderful beyond measure
That's quite a list for me now....

MikeMusic
10-09-2012, 08:48
Some Italian Prog favs you may not have heard of :

Alphataurus 'Alphataurus'
Allusa Falax 'Intronto...'
Analogy 'Analogy'
Il Balletto Di Bronzo 'YS'
Blocco Mentale 'POA'
Blue Phantom 'Distortions'
I Califfi 'Fiori Do Matallo'
Campo Di Marti 'Campo Di Marti'
Cherry Five 'Cherry Five'
Circus 2000 'Circus 2000', 'An Esape From A Box'
De De Lind 'Ion Non Sa Da Dove'
E.A.Poe 'Generazioni'
Gli Aluminogeni 'Scolopendra'
Latte E Miele 'Papilon', 'Passio Secundum'
L'Uovo Di Colombo 'L'Uovo Di Colombo'
New Trolls 'Concherto Grosso', 'Searching For Land'
Osage Tribe 'Arrow Head'
Il Paese Die Balocchi 'Il Paese Die Balocchi'
Panna Freda 'Uno'
Psycheground Group 'Psycheground Group'
Quella Vecchia Locannda 'Quella Vecchia Locanda'
Roccomandata Con Recevuta 'Roccomandata Con Recevuta'
Reale Accademia Di Musica 'Reale Accademia Di Musica'
Traide '1998: La Storia D Sabazio'
The Trip 'Caronte', 'Alantide', 'The Trip'

No more !
I can only sample at work as broadband at home is so slow it won't stream
And I really need to work !

Rare Bird
10-09-2012, 08:58
OK mike i was just gonna move on to Psychedelic Rock list anorl :rfl:

MikeMusic
10-09-2012, 09:01
OK mike i was just gonna move on to Psychedelic Rock list anorl :rfl:

Nonononononono
Must work !

I must not sample at work for so long
I must not sample at work for so long.........

rusty bearing
10-09-2012, 16:17
Okay RB,I bow to the master. Must look up 'Waiters'..........I imagine it's pretty rare on vinyl nowdays?

Rare Bird
10-09-2012, 17:26
Okay RB,I bow to the master. Must look up 'Waiters'..........I imagine it's pretty rare on vinyl nowdays?

No has had a good Re-Isshew, i'll post you a linkipoo via PM :eyebrows:

PLINIUS
14-09-2012, 10:57
If you like them, you might like this - contender for the worst album cover anywhere....ever: Elias Hulk - 'Unchained' - it's a bit more leaden than Blodders, more guitar, less sax. I play it a lot!

Here it is on Grooveshark (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Unchained/5673165)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/510sINWSGTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Great googly moogly, why the hell would anyone buy a disc with a printed threat on the front cover;)

Floyddroid
14-09-2012, 12:21
Got an original copy of this. cracking stuff. peter Robinson ened up playing keys on Phil Collins first album face Value. Well worth seeking out this one.

MartinT
14-09-2012, 13:07
Missed out on that, but I used to go and see Hawkwind regularly. They played locally a lot, great fun!

I saw them twice, once featuring Stacia. Great stuff.

Rare Bird
14-09-2012, 14:25
I saw them twice, once featuring Stacia. Great stuff.

Was that Reading Festival '75?

MartinT
14-09-2012, 15:43
Was that Reading Festival '75?

Yes, that was it Andr'e.