PDA

View Full Version : MacBook

johnB
13-08-2012, 23:03
Hi, I'm not a digital expert but would like to play my MacBook through my hi-fi amp (iTunes etc) it's currently connected via CA740c (which supposely "upsamples") to my amp . It sounds ok, but would the Beresford make a marked difference? Any advice gladly received.
Cheers
John

Alex_UK
14-08-2012, 09:18
Never heard the 740c let alone on its digital inputs, so I can't really comment - but which Beresford are you thinking of - the new Bushmaster?

theriskdude
14-08-2012, 10:23
Hi Jon - I also use a Macbook (Pro) as my most used front end. I can't comment on a comparison with the 740c, but I can definitely recommend using the Bushmaster. I use the optical output into the dac and it is excellent. I would recommend that you use an alternative to iTunes though. I use Audivarna Plus which integrates with the Tunes library and (IMO) is a significant improvement - it also fixes the iTunes digital volume to 100% so you need to control volume elsewhere.

Mike

sq225917
14-08-2012, 10:28
If you are using the optical out from the MAC then it's not the best connection to the 740c and a Hiface (usb to spdif converter) will give you a straight up improvement, and it will give you 192khz capability as well.

I used one between my Macbook and my 840c until i upgraded to a Weiss 202.

johnB
14-08-2012, 10:48
Thanks so far.

Alex, yes I'm looking at the Bushmaster.

Mike, thanks for advice on Audiovarna plus.

Simon, the Hiface USB to s/PDF looks a bit wide. The two USB ports on my MacBook are adjacent and I need one to feed in the external drive, which means I struggle fitting anything wider than a conventional USB into the second slot.....do you have this problem or a solution?

Cheers all
John

StanleyB
14-08-2012, 11:35
Is there no optical output on the Macbook?

Beechwoods
14-08-2012, 12:31
There is. The headphone output also acts as an Optical if you plug a mini Optical cable into it.

StanleyB
14-08-2012, 12:39
If it has an optical socket already then a USB to SPDIF converter is not required.

sq225917
14-08-2012, 13:05
I'd suggest that it's the optical out that is the bottleneck, not the dac, and it is that which requires fixing. If you just want to buy a new dac then have at it. But why not try an asynchronous dac that is impervious to source issues?

roob
14-08-2012, 15:36
I used a modified hiface until recently, it was a step up from the optical out of a Macbook.

Beechwoods
14-08-2012, 15:39
I use the Optical on my MacMini and I find with PureMusic it works nicely.

roob
14-08-2012, 15:45
Thanks so far.

Alex, yes I'm looking at the Bushmaster.

Mike, thanks for advice on Audiovarna plus.

Simon, the Hiface USB to s/PDF looks a bit wide. The two USB ports on my MacBook are adjacent and I need one to feed in the external drive, which means I struggle fitting anything wider than a conventional USB into the second slot.....do you have this problem or a solution?

Cheers all
John
Try an adaptor when connecting a Hiface something like this
http://www.hot-buy.co.uk/male-female-type-a-usb-2-adapter-switching-converter-1.html
That should leave room for your other usb plug.
Edit: When I used a std hiface I am pretty sure there was just enough room to get at the other usb socket. I am pretty sure Keith at Purite would let you try one first.

sq225917
14-08-2012, 16:26
Ask Keith, he's a real gent always ready to help.

theriskdude
30-10-2012, 16:55
So, John what did you do in the end ?

And for everyone else - i'm intrigued to know if there is any difference in using the optical out of the macbook via toslink to the Bushmaster compared to the USB/HiFace + coax. Is there any benefit for anything other than 192khz files ?

Mike

allsorts
27-12-2012, 20:52
Bump! Can anyone relate a comparison of mini toslink and usb to spfid with the macbook?

NRG
27-12-2012, 21:09
This probably won't help but IME with a Mac Mini Toslink against an eBay (Muse) USB to SPDIF converter I could not tell the difference between them using standard 16/44.1 into a number of DACs including the BM, so I would go with the Toslink and save a bit.....just my 2p worth...

Stubies
05-04-2013, 09:24
I used a modified hiface until recently, it was a step up from the optical out of a Macbook.

Rob, very interesting - i wonder why that is. Perhaps the Optical out is a lower speed than the USB? (e.g. 96khz not 192khz), or perhaps has more jitter? Do you have any theories?

What year is your MacBook?

I have read that the new MacMini have improved the optical output but have not seen anything definative - i wonder if the Coax would improve this...? I am considering this as a Music Server...

Beechwoods
05-04-2013, 11:32
Standard Mac USB drivers max out at 16/48 some USB boxes have their own drivers though. I have a Terratec that handles 5.1 channels at 24/192 and that works fine with my 2010 MacBook.

Stubies
05-04-2013, 20:25
Beechwood, Thanks for your help !

Here are some specs i found on the apple support for the Mac Mini (late 2012)
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5539

Optical audio output port: "digital audio output up to 24-bit stereo and 44.1-192 kHz sampling rate and supporting encoded digital audio output (AC3 and DTS)"

This seems to suggest that the new Mac Mini goes up to 24/192, and that there would be no benefit from using the usb out for digital audio.

Is this correct or is part of the story missing?
Can I believe that optical out on the new Mac Mini will be pretty much as good as it gets 24/192?

I really want to get a Mac Mini if it will give 24/192 optical audio out - and there is no other surprising negative issue...

Can anyone confirm/deny this?
Thanks in advance for your help!

NRG
05-04-2013, 20:50
We've cover this before its not possible to get bit perfect data stream from Toslink, the cable and transmit/receiver modules don't have the required bandwidth for 192/24

---------------------------------
Posted using Tapatalk :)

Beechwoods
05-04-2013, 21:00
This seems to suggest that the new Mac Mini goes up to 24/192, and that there would be no benefit from using the usb out for digital audio.

Is this correct or is part of the story missing?
Can I believe that optical out on the new Mac Mini will be pretty much as good as it gets 24/192?

I think this link is worth reading:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3845781?start=0&tstart=0

Optical Out on the Mac only goes up to 24/96 (although the hardware 'may' support higher). The limitation is in the OS.

So the right USB Card with a dedicated driver is the only way to go past 24/96 on the MacMini (or MacBook, similar specs).

I've got this, which I use for 4-channel Quad reproduction. It also has a phono input which is useful. I'm sure there are better out there, especially dedicated 2-channel, USB soundcards, but I like it :)

http://www.terratec.net/en/products/DMX_6Fire_USB_2084.html

Stubies
05-04-2013, 21:00
We've cover this before its not possible to get bit perfect data stream from Toslink, the cable and transmit/receiver modules don't have the required bandwidth for 192/24

NRG, yes you are right - there was some confussion if this applied to the new Mac Mini as well. - and the specs seemed to suggest otherwise. Sorry for the double questions.

That is too bad, so USB to Coax converter will be best i guess.

Thanks for your help!

Stubies
05-04-2013, 21:12
I think this link is worth reading:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3845781?start=0&tstart=0

Optical Out on the Mac only goes up to 24/96 (although the hardware 'may' support higher). The limitation is in the OS.

So the right USB Card with a dedicated driver is the only way to go past 24/96 on the MacMini (or MacBook, similar specs).

I've got this, which I use for 4-channel Quad reproduction. It also has a phono input which is useful. I'm sure there are better out there, especially dedicated 2-channel, USB soundcards, but I like it :)

http://www.terratec.net/en/products/DMX_6Fire_USB_2084.html

Beechwoods,

Wow, the veil has been lifted and now i can see! This solves the mystery - i was searching for just this clarity, I will sleep better! :)

and thanks for the usb recomendation too, much appreciate your help

Stratmangler
05-04-2013, 21:14
NRG, yes you are right - there was some confussion if this applied to the new Mac Mini as well. - and the specs seemed to suggest otherwise. Sorry for the double questions.

That is too bad, so USB to Coax converter will be best i guess.

Thanks for your help!

A HiFace2 should do the job admirably.
Have a word with Keith Cooper at Purité Audio - he's a good chap to deal with :)