PDA

View Full Version : Post a Vid of your Reel to Reel in action...

Lodgesound
11-08-2012, 14:36
With a nod to Biff for the idea I table this idea to the group - I will start later on if no-one beats me to the line.....

Barry
11-08-2012, 14:50
Can't manage a video, but some 'stills' of my Nagra IV-S can be seen here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=287410#post287410).

WOStantonCS100
11-08-2012, 16:34
With a nod to Biff for the idea I table this idea to the group - I will start later on if no-one beats me to the line.....

Nice one, Stewart. :thumbsup: I've been meaning to take a new vid ever since I got proper hubs for my main deck. This will be a good motivator for doing just that. Hopefully, we'll see some cool decks.

DSJR
11-08-2012, 17:52
I think we've seen enough domestic reel to reels for now :) What about the ultimate bling-deck, the technics 1500? or a Revox 700 with the tension levers gently swaying up and down when play is engaged :eyebrows:

Me? I'd love to see a proper multitack machine in use, 2" tape etc.

These things must have been incredibly gentle on the tapes with all the overdubs that went on and on and on. There's stories of Brian May saying the multi-track master for Bohemian Rhapsody was almost see-through by the time freddie finished all his vocal overdubs and bumping tracks down repeatedly. There's another online article with a procedure that SAW used in their glory days of the late 80's, recording a hit single for Kylie and the mutliple overdubs and tweaks in the mix - digital reel to reel and 30IPS analogue 1/2" tape. Those tapes must have been backwards and forwards in the reels countless times since a mix for a single could take a day or more...

Beechwoods
11-08-2012, 17:57
Give me a few days and I'll have one of my RS1500. And maybe one of my Tandberg TD20A and Nagra IV-S TC... as long as you don't call them domestic :D :eek:

Mr Kipling
11-08-2012, 18:10
And Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" - had nothing on it! More or less. Think he went through more than one.

Beechwoods
11-08-2012, 18:26
The demo of Tubular Bells sounds rough as hell - he probably did!

Patrick Dixon
11-08-2012, 19:27
I have a couple of Telefunkens, including this M10A which was part of a vinyl mastering suite.

http://www.yatecourtbarn.adsl24.co.uk/images/Telefunken/M10A-2.JPG

It has two sets of replay heads and the bar down the middle loops the tape to give the correct delay on the preview channel so the engineer can vary the cutting head pitch.

Sorry no video - one day I will get it working ...

Rare Bird
11-08-2012, 19:40
I have a couple of Ferrograph 'Series Seven' & a 'Logic Seven'..Sony 'TC377', 'TC366', 'TC270'.. Akai '3000D'..Tandberg '4000X' & 'X10D'..but to be honest i'll never use them again, i'm just too bone idle these days, there more in the way than anything else. If i do keep them it will probably be just one of the Sony's..

Beechwoods
11-08-2012, 19:45
I bet they're all mint as well :) You do have a knack that way.

Wasn't the early Beatles stuff recorded on Telefunkens Patrick? I'd like to hear one in action.

Mr Kipling
11-08-2012, 20:24
I've often wondered why John Lennon should quip: "Isadora Duncan works for Telefunken" in "Let It Be".

Lodgesound
12-08-2012, 12:53
One of the machines in action....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaskWmXaDvc

Spectral Morn
12-08-2012, 13:08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt80jmRi5nM

One of the machines in action....

Nice.

What is the music playing ?

Lodgesound
12-08-2012, 13:13
That vid no longer live but it was Statues by OMD.......

Spectral Morn
12-08-2012, 13:20
That vid no longer live but it was Statues by OMD.......

Thanks I will have to look into OMD. I never really got into them at the time but its never too late.

DSJR
12-08-2012, 13:26
Give me a few days and I'll have one of my RS1500. And maybe one of my Tandberg TD20A and Nagra IV-S TC... as long as you don't call them domestic :D :eek:

The Technics RS1500 was a domestic bling-deck that performed almost as well as a Revox B77HS (compared them directly, so there :ner:), the TD20A ate tapes with edits in when winding (ghastly tinny affair, despite the good sonics) and the Nagra might qualify as I sispect it was made before they went all precious :) - IMO :lol:

DSJR
12-08-2012, 13:34
Thanks I will have to look into OMD. I never really got into them at the time but its never too late.

Oh alright, not the lyrics thread but i don't care :)

2nd Thoughts -

And all the order in our lives
Left some time ago
Along the way
We are the ones who never cry
Like we don't care
Today

Me at home and you out there
And on your way
It's gone so far and now it seems
It's only me
Who cares

I know it helps the times you asked
Though never gained
A little hope to set you free
Less restrained

And though the order in our lives
Left some time ago
Or so we're told

It's only me
along the way

This one below (Statues) made me cry - still does come to think of it thirty years later... Must be the Roland keyboards....

The way you moved
I can't explain
The mood subsides
And grows again
I've lived alone
I've held a hand
I've tried to care
And understand

What is faith
And when belief
And who knows how
These things deceive
I never said
And though I tried
If I could leave
And sleep tonight

I can't imagine
How this ever came to be
I can't imagine
How this ever came to be

Sorry Neil :)

Spectral Morn
12-08-2012, 13:52
Oh alright, not the lyrics thread but i don't care :)

2nd Thoughts -

And all the order in our lives
Left some time ago
Along the way
Like we don't care
Today

And on your way
It's only me
Who cares

I know it helps the times you asked
Though never gained
A little hope to set you free
Less restrained

And though the order in our lives
Left some time ago
Or so we're told

It's only me
along the way

This one below (Statues) made me cry - still does come to think of it thirty years later... Must be the Roland keyboards....

The way you moved
I can't explain
The mood subsides
And grows again
I've lived alone
I've held a hand
I've tried to care
And understand

What is faith
And when belief
And who knows how
These things deceive
I never said
And though I tried
If I could leave
And sleep tonight

I can't imagine
How this ever came to be
I can't imagine
How this ever came to be

Sorry Neil :)

Don't apologise Dave beautiful poignant lyrics.

Lodgesound
12-08-2012, 13:56
Statues was a tribute to Ian Curtis....

DSJR
12-08-2012, 14:30
I wasn't thinking of a man, but I know a lady rather well to whom this could apply.....

Lodgesound
12-08-2012, 16:41
Another one in action......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI0bEMPjTng&feature=youtu.be

daytona600
13-08-2012, 16:08
restored ampex reel to reel playing pre-sputnik 1958 pure tube recorded masters via dehavalland 222 tube tube preamp via there pre & power into
sonist concerto 4 speakers Heard this was the star of the show
Comments like musicians being in the room 100% all tube system & master

DSJR
13-08-2012, 22:25
I'm hoping Mr Lodgesound will concur but listening to master quality material especially analogue masters after vinyl is usually a huge ear-opener. Once heard, never forgotten.

WOStantonCS100
14-08-2012, 06:38
Another one in action......

oI0bEMPjTng

:drool:

Audio Al
14-08-2012, 09:57
:drool:

Lovely R2R , but am I missing something ?

I cant see ant tape coming off the left hand spool :scratch:

however I can see the tape on the right hand spool :scratch:

Lodgesound
14-08-2012, 10:24
Dave: Indeed listening to master recordings can be a revelation in terms of sound quality............

Al: The tape is feeding from the left reel I can assure you - the sound is the actual replay from the machine via a Dolby SR decoder.

Alex_UK
14-08-2012, 11:48
What a beauty!

I cant see any tape coming off the left hand spool :scratch:

Al: The tape is feeding from the left reel I can assure you - the sound is the actual replay from the machine via a Dolby SR decoder.

If you watch it on YouTube in full screen you will be able to see the tape feed but it does look a bit spooky at times as it isn't obvious where it is!

Audio Al
14-08-2012, 13:17
Not sure if I should say this

Deep breath and here goes

" I think that tape machine is is a thing of beauty "

Would love one in my front room

O YES :D:D:D

Lodgesound
19-08-2012, 13:59
Thanks for your comment Al..........I've owned this since 1997 when I found it in someone's garage and paid an insanely low price for it - it has had a total of 100 hours use since manufacture.

DSJR
19-08-2012, 16:17
It didn't seem that long ago that Revox A77's were £125, B77's were £250, Pro99's were a ton as well and Sony TC377's and Akai 4000's were £50 or less...

Beechwoods
19-08-2012, 16:36
Thanks for your comment Al..........I've owned this since 1997 when I found it in someone's garage and paid an insanely low price for it - it has had a total of 100 hours use since manufacture.

Wish I was so lucky!

Sonority
23-08-2012, 16:49
I spent a lot of time in this guys demonstration room at CES a few years ago.
Visually stunning, and sounded every bit as good.
Even recorded well 'hot' on modern tape the sound was truly captivating. So much so we kept going back just to check our ears were not being silly, what with some of the other stuff available.

Well worth a look, if only to drool.

http://www.j-corder.com/Gallery.php