PDA

View Full Version : Hello

jrmanders
30-01-2009, 20:46
Hi everyone, just found this excellent forum. I've been into music and sound quality all my life.
I currently own a SME Model 20A/VDH condor, Puresound T10 step up with Puresound P10 phono stage into DK design VS.1 Intergrated and ART Emotion Monitors sigs.
I have owned loads and loads of kit over the years some good in there own way but my current setup is the most enjoyable to listen to. Might get a valve integrated soon. Maybe Guy's A30 or 2A3 would do the job,

Thanks,
Jonathan.

Marco
30-01-2009, 20:53
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your kind comments and welcome to AOS :)

The Puresound gear is fab isn't it?

Anyway don't be shy, so get stuck into the various discussions! ;)

Marco.

Spectral Morn
30-01-2009, 20:57
Welcome to AOS..

Nice set up.

Regards D S D L---Neil :)

jrmanders
30-01-2009, 21:02
Hi Marco and Neil,

Thanks regarding setup. Yes really like Guy's stuff really great value and music. Also loved his Audio Innovation gear I owned years and years ago,

I believe Guy posts on here fttt,

Jonathan.

Marco
30-01-2009, 21:12
Indeed he does, Jonathan - Guy's an integral and valued part of our community :)

The P10 is just fab and epitomises the type of gear we like to champion. I've not heard it though in conjunction with the T10, just on its own doing MM duties. How does the combo perform with your Condor?

Oh, and we need some pics of your excellent system for our Gallery! ;)

Marco.

jrmanders
30-01-2009, 21:33
Marco the VDH performs well with the T10/P10 combo. Unfortunately I had an accident with the vdh the other day so I've sent it back to AJ today for repair and tune-up. Hope it come back even better. Gone back to my Dyno Karat 17D2 for now. Bloody thing has such short cantilever!!

Pics to follow I promise,

Jonathan.

Beechwoods
30-01-2009, 21:56
Welcome to Art of Sound, Jonathan!

Nice part of the country you're coming from!

Spectral Morn
30-01-2009, 22:20
Hi Jonathan

I too love and still use from time to time some Audio innovations series 1000 mk 3 mono blocks 50 watts of class A EL34/5881 magic. I also have an Audio Innovations Series 500 amp, one of my first serious bits of kit.

The P10 and an EAR The Head MC step up (one of Tims early designs)was stunning...in my set up.

Regards D S D L----Neil :)

PS I have a VDH Frog Gold. I couldn't quite stretch to a Condor...very nice.

jrmanders
30-01-2009, 22:22
Thanks Beechwoods, Yes rural Herefordshire has some beautiful scenery.

Do you know Herefordshire at all??

Jonathan.

Beechwoods
30-01-2009, 22:28
I have family in Hereford itself, and when I was younger we spent a lot of time on holidays around there. I'm originally from near Kidderminster (a village called Kinver, famous for Kinver Edge, which you may have heard of...) While Hereford was about 50 miles away it never felt like it was that far away!

jrmanders
30-01-2009, 22:34
I know Kiddie quite well because I work in Stoke Prior near Bromsgrove so spent alot of time around Kiddie. Not heard of Kinver though, what is Kinver Edge??

chris@panteg
30-01-2009, 22:36
Hi Jonathan

I too love and still use from time to time some Audio innovations series 1000 mk 3 mono blocks 50 watts of class A EL34/5881 magic. I also have an Audio Innovations Series 500 amp, one of my first serious bits of kit.

The P10 and an EAR The Head MC step up (one of Tims early designs)was stunning...in my set up.

PS I have a VDH Frog Gold. I couldn't quite stretch to a Condor...very nice.

Hi Neil
did you ever hear the 1000 series MK2 ,PQ decided to remove all negative feedback with disastrous results , this is according to my old pal John .

jrmanders
30-01-2009, 22:45
Do you mean the Monoblock 1000's 50 watters?? Yes I had them first, not sure if they were MK1 or 2, then went over to the First Audio 7 watter.

chris@panteg
30-01-2009, 22:47
Yes that's right it was the mk2's that were a bit of a disaster , i had a pair of 2nd audio's with border patrol psu's

Spectral Morn
31-01-2009, 09:00
Hi Neil
did you ever hear the 1000 series MK2 ,PQ decided to remove all negative feedback with disastrous results , this is according to my old pal John .

Hi Chris ....No These (Series 1000mk 3) were, as far as I know based on Guy's design input(PQ had left by then to do Audio Note). Very nice amps this version, but IMHO sound best with Tung-sol 5881 valves (military spec version of EL34 valves) and not EL34 valves.

Do you mean the Monoblock 1000's 50 watters?? Yes I had them first, not sure if they were MK1 or 2, then went over to the First Audio 7 watter.

Hi Jonathan I guess so...yes. I tried the 6B4G and 2A3 Audio Innovations mono amps in my set up, but didn't think that they offered the best sound in my upstairs system. The series 1000 amps were better...in most areas but not all. It was a compromise and using new (NOS) stock valves not the old crap Chinese ones, in both triode amps, didn't change my mind. I just needed the extra power that 50 watts of class A brought to the party. The 6B4Gs were very good ones...but not the originals as those got smashed....when the guy who owned them, had an accident with his car door (valves and car doors don't mix very well). I listened with an original Series 1000 pre-amp (belonged to same guy) and an EAR pre and thought series 1000 mk3 + EAR worked very well.

I would have liked to try the Border patrol mods but as these aren't my main amps...that would be far down my list of things to do.

I owned a Voyd Valdi back then (20 years ago), but despite the synergy between AI amps, Voyd TT and Snell speakers I did not like the way Snell speakers imaged...the brush strokes (detail) were just a bit to broad for me. I prefer more pin point imaging.

Regards D S D L---Neil

I'll post some pictures later....

Spectral Morn
02-02-2009, 15:35
HI Chris and Jonathan

I moved my post as I felt it was maybe a bit like thread hi-jack. Can now be found in the link below.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=33072#post33072

Sorry D S D L-----Neil

Ali Tait
02-02-2009, 15:39
Are they NOS Tung-Sol 5881's in there?

Spectral Morn
02-02-2009, 17:23
Are they NOS Tung-Sol 5881's in there?

Hi Ali

No...They are New Sensor Tung-Sol reissues. I think IMHO/E that these are better than the old which I have tried.

Beechwoods
02-02-2009, 19:52
I know Kiddie quite well because I work in Stoke Prior near Bromsgrove so spent alot of time around Kiddie. Not heard of Kinver though, what is Kinver Edge??

Sorry - missed your post! Kinver Edge is a stretch of National Trust managed land, a natural prominentary, complete with sandstone 'Rock Houses'... considered to be the Switzerland of the Black Country, at one time :) http://www.stourbridge.co.uk/htm/kinver.htm

jrmanders
02-02-2009, 21:08
Thanks for that info. Don't know the north of kidderminster quite so well. But I did look up Kinver on the internet after your post the other night. Yes was quite the holiday destinations years ago. Looks beautiful around there.

thanks, Jonathan.