PDA

View Full Version : Do 'boutique' cables make a difference?

Pages : 1 [2]

Marco
24-07-2008, 17:02
IMHO, anyone who does that misunderstands what science is and does, and just using the word science in the same way as a caveman would regard the moon, another word for magic beyond our understanding.

Indeed. Remember Ashley and JC of 'AVI fame'? That's exactly how they looked at things. I think some engineers are merely wannabe pseudo-scientists who give REAL scientists a bad name. You are of course exempt! ;)

Marco.

Marco
24-07-2008, 17:10
If it weren't for 'science', Hi-Fi systems would not exist! ;)

Yep, but that doesn't mean it can fully explain how the sound produced by hi-fi systems is appreciated by humans... ;)

Marco.

Mike
24-07-2008, 17:20
Does 'it' need to?

Marco
24-07-2008, 17:30
No, that's why we have ears :)

Marco.

Steve Toy
25-07-2008, 02:41
Psychoacoustics may go some way to explain why some hi-fi systems are more involving to listen to a given piece of recorded music through than others.

What made Marco's modified Croft Charisma pre and my AOS power the best sounding amp combination either of us has ever heard?

It certainly wasn't drugs.

lurcher
25-07-2008, 07:02
It certainly wasn't drugs.

I wonder, it might be, it would be interesting to see if the levels of things like dopamine change when listening to a good system.

Lookng forward to hearing that amp and pre combination then if its going to Chester.

Marco
25-07-2008, 09:27
Indeed it will be there, Nick :)

In fact, if Steve's willing to bring his Bel Canto and Hecos as well, we can set up the very system that blew us both away (with my Sony DAC and Croft preamp).

The synergy though between Steve's TD/AOS amp and the Croft was really quite special. It was one of the most musically engaging sounds I've ever heard - real 'hairs standing up on the back of your neck' stuff. Hopefully it will work as well at Chester.

If I can get my arse in gear today a full report will be posted in a separate thread on our recent listening session.

I believe also that Anthony may be bringing his big copper amp (60W p/p pure Class A via 4 x KT88s and three 6SN7s per channel) to Chester. Having heard this once before (and being utterly gob-smacked) it could well steal the show...

Marco.

NRG
25-07-2008, 17:41
60W of pure class A from a PP pair of KT88's? :scratch:

Marco
25-07-2008, 17:53
That's four KT88s per channel, Neal. I believe it's 60 - 120W, depending on biasing!

Check out the 'big boy' Copper amp here:

http://www.tubedistinctions.co.uk/custom.htm#top

I've heard it and it's stunning!!

If anything is unclear I'm sure Anthony will provide assistance :)

Marco.