PDA

View Full Version : Granite Kitchen Block

Mr Kipling
09-08-2012, 22:36
Don't suppose you rich Southerners have a local Poundstretcher store. Having said that, they do have over 400 stores around the UK. Anyway, if you pop in you might find a nice grey granite kitchen block 16 x 12 for £8 that would make a smart sub-table or speaker base.

Kind Regards,
Stephen

synsei
10-08-2012, 00:31
Hi Stephen,

I made some equipment supports from a similar product I bought from our local branch of The Range a couple of years ago. They were a little more expensive at £11.99 each (now £13.99) for a polished black galaxy granite block (400mm x 300mm x 15mm). I spent £9.99 on some gold plated adjustable spiked supports and cups (set of four) from an ebay vendor in Hong Kong and used three per platform. I made three quality equipment supports for less than the price of a single commercially available product which looked identical ;)

Here are two in situ under the CDP and MD in my rack and a third smaller example made from a smoked, toughened glass cheese board (a bargain at £1.99) under the Caiman...

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/System307-03-12.jpg

electric beach
10-08-2012, 05:46
Dave, those feet and bases turn a standard metal box into a classy bit of bling, very nice. I made similar but used RDC cones. According to the Vertex theory you should use the unpolished side and have spikes bite into them to transfer energy from the equipment. I compromised and drilled small holes in the polished surface to get good contact.

I've recently changed to wooden shelves that I've made from the same wood as the speaker cabinets, 18mm Russsian Birch ply, mounted on sorbothane pads, so the opposite theory of isolation and killing the cycle of vibration waves.

Some people have stated that they consider it all tosh and obsession - but then are in wonder as to how I get such a relaxed yet dynamic, non-shouty sound with a soundstage so independent from the speakers.... :doh:

Macca
10-08-2012, 07:41
Don't suppose you rich Southerners have a local Poundstretcher store. Having said that, they do have over 400 stores around the UK. Anyway, if you pop in you might find a nice grey granite kitchen block 16 x 12 for £8 that would make a smart sub-table or speaker base.

Kind Regards,
Stephen

There is one not far from me here in the poverty-striken Midlands, I will check it out tomorrow - thanks for the tip.

realysm42
13-08-2012, 16:02
Funnily enough I got one from Sainburys, the size isn't perfect for my sub, but it works as an interim solution:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q153/realysm42/Image1239.jpg

I'm going to try something a little more exotic, for both my speaker stands and sub shortly...

synsei
13-08-2012, 16:20
Hi Martin,

I have a spare granite 'slab' which is identical to the two sat underneath the rack in my system pic above. It measures 450mm x 300mm x 60mm and weighs rather a lot. I bought them off AoS member McHugh just over a year ago for £40 each. They came to me cut but unpolished. Since I bought them I have treated them with, of all things, Olive Oil which has toned them down to a dark, charcoal grey from a very light grey colour. If you or anyone else is interested at all I'd be willing to let the spare go for thirty quid. Buyer collects however because I can't even lift the bugger these days as my back has deteriorated since then... :rolleyes:

realysm42
13-08-2012, 16:31
I'll put in a provisional yes to that, thanks Dave.

synsei
13-08-2012, 16:35
No worries Martin, it is yours until you say otherwise ;)

julesd68
15-08-2012, 13:42
I bought a couple of those cheap granite chopping boards but never put any isolation feet under them. Thought I would try some oak cones - there's a big range of different sizes available on ebay - does it matter what size you get?

realysm42
15-08-2012, 18:01
I bought a couple of those cheap granite chopping boards but never put any isolation feet under them. Thought I would try some oak cones - there's a big range of different sizes available on ebay - does it matter what size you get?

It will have an effect although I couldn't claim to know what in your system.

Think about it like this, if by entering a new physical parameter to your system (say oak cones) would change the sound, why wouldn't the size of the cones affect it as well?