PDA

View Full Version : My Hi-Fi

YNWaN
30-01-2009, 14:30
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Firoom1.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Firoom2.jpg

Source component:
Own design of turntable, Naim Armageddon, Naim ARO, ES (Expert Stylus) Linn Troika (the radio is not connected to the system)

Amplification:
Separate phono stage using modified Naim 323K boards powered by a heavily modified Naim Snaps, Heavily modified Naim Nac72, Lightly modified Naim Hi-Cap, Lightly modified Naim Nap135's

Speakers:
Heavily modified Epos ES14's - Altered cabinet damping/construction, re-wired, new X-over, different internal damping, different stand interface, anti-difraction finish to front baffle (custom carbon fibre badges ;-))

Cables/Stands
Avondale Blue Note between phono and pre-amp, Naim amp interconects, Linn K400 speaker cable bi-wired to speakers (all soldered plugs). Sound Factory stands for amps, Custom Origin Live stands for speakers (which have also been modified)

Any other Hi-Fi bits:
Rel Stadium sub-woofer also slightly modified, Separate mains spur - most of the system is fed from a DIY Hydra mains lead, room treatment panels. Oh, I forgot, some cones under equipment - custom shelf under pre-amp made from a laminate of glass fibre and Nomex. There are probably other bits I haven't remembered yet - everything is VERY carefuly set up and positioned.

Marco
30-01-2009, 17:38
Hi Mark,

Nice chilled out looking space you've got there :)

I am ex-Naim user, too. I've got very fond memories of the brand and also the guys who run the company.

Before I moved to valves I had a system comprising of CDS2/XPS2/52/Supercap/135s, which I used happily for nearly five years, but originally was built up in less than six months from a system comprising of CDX/72/Hicap/140, so you can tell that I got quite severely bitten by the upgrade bug!

I loved the NAC72 and regret trading it in at the time for a 102, which I later felt was quite inferior even with a Hicap and NAPSC. The 72 is a cracking preamp, especially with a good vinyl front end. At one point in my Naim system's evolution (before trading up to a 52) I had the 72 paired with a Supercap (still with the NAP140)! It sounded fantastic :eyebrows:

135s are also fun amps when set up and partnered properly, especially when not used with Naim speakers (out with of SBLs or DBLs, which I've always rated) otherwise they can sound a bit fierce. The ES14s you're using form a classic combination. I got fantastic results with my Spendor SP100s. I also much prefer the 'olive' range of Naim gear to most of the current stuff.

What music are you into, oh, and where is it? :lol: ;)

Marco.

YNWaN
30-01-2009, 17:59
Yes, thank you, it is a nice space. I do have bigger rooms (quite a bit bigger) in my house that I could put the system into but I'm happy with it as it is for now.

Rebuilding the insides of my 72 has made it a lot more transparent - in fact, I'm surprised by the level of improvement.

I'm happy with it all and it gives me a great deal of enjoyment. I've yet to hear a system I would trade it in for (and I've heard a LOT of Hi-Fi).

The records are on the other side of the room - but when you've seen one box of records you've seen them all.

I don't own, or listen, to much classical - no soul, rap, reggae - but otherwise my tastes are quite broad. I'm particularly fond of 'Dead Can Dance' which I guess is kind of 'slightly gothic world fussion' (if such a thing exists). I recently acquired 'Laura Marling - Alas I Cannot Swim- and 'Antony and the Johnsons - I am a bird Now', both of which I recommend very highly.

Clive
30-01-2009, 18:04
Hello Mark,

It's been quite a while since I've seen some of your gear! The current room reminds me of your room back over the other side of the Pennines!

Cheers,

Clive

Marco
30-01-2009, 18:11
The records are on the other side of the room...

Yes I noticed that from the post you put in the D.I.Y room! :eyebrows:

Nice one - I also like Antony and the Johnsons. However, I like soul and reggae, and also a little classical, but I have to be in the right mood. I've not heard the Laura Marling, so I'll check it out.

Oh, and huge rooms aren't necessarily better for hi-fi systems - you've just got a bigger space to fill with sound!

Marco.

YNWaN
30-01-2009, 18:11
Hi-ya Clive - what a long time it has been :-(. Yes it is rather like that room and not entirely by coincidence (the room it was in before this looked very similar too). I was thinking about this the other day but, although all my components are the same ones - every single one has been re-modified (because many were already modified), or rebuilt, or internally adjusted in some way in the last 18 months. Are you still writing a bit?

Clive
30-01-2009, 18:25
Yup, I'm still writing, went from HFN to HFW and now www.enjoythemusic.com.

I still have your old turntable stand (re-sprayed) but otherwise not one part of my system is as you knew it. Now it's Garrard 301 on a twin-tier slate plinth, Trans-Fi airbearing arm, ZTX R100, diy valve phono stage, Meridian 588, valve or TVC pre-amp, 45 or 300B amps, Bastanis Atlas Open Baffles with Dipole basses powered by XTZ amps with DSP correction.

I got the LP bug back big time! You got to me in the end. It's great to see that you've stayed true to your principles with your system and not chopped and changed. As you've said somewhere, you've heard plenty of hi-fi (and not hi-fi). That was quite a few years ago too!

YNWaN
30-01-2009, 18:41
Didn't I always tell you of the superiority of vinyl :-) I knew you would get there in the end.

I don't think I know the Trans-Fi airbearing arm', do please provide details - I'm a big fan of airbearing linear trackers (I've often thought of building one).

I'm gonna read a load of your reviews now ;-) (that's a proper Hi-Fi World type of system you have there).

P.S. I guess you mean ZYX cartridge?

Clive
30-01-2009, 18:48
ZYX, XTZ - this is no good for my typing skills, perm any combination :)

See the arm here: http://www.trans-fi.com/terminatortonearm.htm

I've got to know Vic of Trans-Fi quite well, great guy and he'll fix any teeth problems too!

Marco
30-01-2009, 19:01
It's great to see that you've stayed true to your principles with your system and not chopped and changed.

I also admire this. The bottom line with a hi-fi system is that it has to play music the way YOU like it, not how what some so-called 'expert' or measurements freak thinks it should sound. Forget about notions of 'accuracy' and always go with whatever equipment connects you most with the emotive elements in music and gives you goose bumps all over - that's what matters most!

I find that valves and the rest of the gear in my current system hit the spot for me in that area more than my Naim system did, and like you, I've heard lots of hi-fi over the years, but as they say, different strokes for different folks. One thing Naim systems always do well is communicate the emotion in music and a sense of bands and musicians playing together through their impeccable sense of pitch and timing, even if tonally the musical picture they paint can sometimes be a little monochromatic.

Marco.

Clive
30-01-2009, 19:19
Mark, I've sent you a PM with some links. You'll need to be a real insomniac to get through that lot.

pjdowns
30-01-2009, 19:24
Hey Mark,

Nice to see your system again :)

Hope you are well.

Paul.

YNWaN
30-01-2009, 19:56
You too Paul - very sorry to read that your CD player died for good, I know you were fond of it :-(.

Clive, many thanks for the PM - I do know the arm you refer to (very interesting) and the DIY design it is developed from; I've never heard one though ;-).

Spectral Morn
30-01-2009, 20:38
HI Mark

You like DEAD CAN DANCE....excellent love their stuff and Lisa Gerrard's solo stuff as well.

Whats your fave Dead Can Dance album ?

Regards D S D L----Neil :)

Clive
30-01-2009, 20:41
The inversion of the Ladegaard style really works well. I started out with the Evo - completely Ladegaard-like, it was really good but the inverted Terminator is considerably better in terms of sounds and is less fussy too.

If you're over this side you know where we are. An audition can be arranged!

Marco
30-01-2009, 20:58
The inversion of the Ladegaard style...

Excuse my ignorance, Clive, but what does that mean or refer to? Just curious!

Marco.

chris@panteg
30-01-2009, 20:59
Hi Mark

nice system' very interesting turntable, i have all loads of DCD stuff including an excellent boot leg video of a live gig from 2005 with surprisingly good sound,
a stand out is Crescent with brendan on guitar and lisa playing the chinese dulcima, great stuff.

Clive
30-01-2009, 21:56
Excuse my ignorance, Clive, but what does that mean or refer to? Just curious!

Marco.

Marco, some reading but it's not too technical (if it were I'd not understand it): http://www.aiko.com/airbearingarm.html

Poul Ledagaard describes the airbearing concept and how to simply build your own.

Trans-Fi's original was one of these:
http://www.trans-fi.com/evolution4.htm

Vic decided the turn the air bearing on its head (almost literally):
http://www.trans-fi.com/terminatortonearm.htm

Very effective, a great development.

YNWaN
31-01-2009, 00:09
Whats your fave Dead Can Dance album?

Neil, a good, but tricky question. I used to be very fond of Aion (still am) but eventually I fell in love with 'Into The Labyrinth' (great music and a fantastic sounding record), recently I have listened to 'Toward The Within' a great deal (I was lucky enough to buy this when it was released as it seems to be quite a rare and sought after item).

Of course what I want is the last live album made by the American fan club - only 500 produced, all signed.......

YNWaN
31-01-2009, 00:13
Hi Mark

nice system' very interesting turntable, i have all loads of DCD stuff including an excellent boot leg video of a live gig from 2005 with surprisingly good sound,
a stand out is Crescent with brendan on guitar and lisa playing the chinese dulcima, great stuff.

Hi Chris,

Turntables are my great love and the development (and investigation) of them has been my obsession for over 20 years. The deck I use now is genuinely intended to achieve the best results possible. The most recent design modification has been to add a magnetic main bearing which I have found to be most worthwhile.

Sgt.Pepper
31-01-2009, 00:29
I approve on the uncluttered look YNWaN,much easier to keep clean :)
Also like the plain looking wall panels,are they home made ?

Edit:
Found your posts covering the panels you made,very nice job too.
You mentioned perforations in the hardboard covering the backs,were these any particular size and quantity for a desired absorption ?

YNWaN
31-01-2009, 08:50
Hi Paul,

I would love to claim that the size and pattern of perforation had been carefully worked out using acoustic absorption formulae - unfortunately, that is not the case. If one shops about a bit, one can buy hardboard pre-perforated - masses of small holes drilled (well stamped out) all over it.

Spectral Morn
31-01-2009, 09:16
Neil, a good, but tricky question. I used to be very fond of Aion (still am) but eventually I fell in love with 'Into The Labyrinth' (great music and a fantastic sounding record), recently I have listened to 'Toward The Within' a great deal (I was lucky enough to buy this when it was released as it seems to be quite a rare and sought after item).

Of course what I want is the last live album made by the American fan club - only 500 produced, all signed.......

Hi Mark

Into the Labyrinth would be my fave album...especially tracks like Carnival is over..Brendan Perry's voice is amazing on this like a Gothic Frank Sinatra. I like Aion and Serpents Egg too. Sadly I missed the reunion gig they played in Dublin a few years ago....AGHHHHHHHHH. To see them live would have been amazing. I have the live DVD of Towards the Within, but its not the same.

I recently bought the albums on SACD, and they are fantastic (don't fear though, I have them on original vinyl too), if any one has a SACD player and wants to be musically challenged then have a look at DEAD CAN DANCES material on this format.Well worth ago IMHO.

Regards D S D l---Neil :)

YNWaN
31-01-2009, 10:35
Yes, I also have all their vinyl albums - including the EP they produced and a 4AD sampler compilation they feature on (together with other 4AD signings).

I would dearly love to have seen them live - may not get the chance now :-(

pjdowns
31-01-2009, 15:54
You too Paul - very sorry to read that your CD player died for good, I know you were fond of it :-(.

Clive, many thanks for the PM - I do know the arm you refer to (very interesting) and the DIY design it is developed from; I've never heard one though ;-).

Mark,

Reference the CD Player, I have decided to get it fixed afterall :) ... Hopefully it'll be the DAC and not the Mechanism as they are unable to fix that.

Currently on it's way to Naim.

I'll keep you all up to date :)

Paul.

YNWaN
31-01-2009, 19:37
Oooh - on it's way to Naim - hope you've got your gold card to hand ;-)

Hope they fix it though matey - what transport is it exactly?

DSJR
01-02-2009, 12:58
S'cus the butt-in, but I think it's a CDM4....

Good looking system you have there Mark. Do you live on your own? My Linnie mate had a very similar room with Keltiks where the ES14's are and the system set up in a very similar way down the LH side wall. His girlfriend lived in the sitting room downstairs and never the twain met it seemed at the time....

Now we have a telly in the dining room and sonny-jim has decided to move in there (Lego all over the dining room table at present), I think I'm allowed to get the HiFi in the lounge, which has far better acoustics. The old Spendors look better than the ATC's too despite their age and herself was telling her brother on the phone last night how good they sounded to her (and I didn't think she cared............................................. ).

YNWaN
01-02-2009, 22:47
I live on my own now Dave - though the Hi-Fi was innocent in this. I've got a much bigger bedroom (spare room) it could go in and the dining room is pretty big (ignoring the living room) - but I'm happy with it where it is (I may give it its own earth connection/spike(s) some time this year).

I enjoy the system - it has (for me) a good blend between flat and round earth qualities; pace, rhythm, dynamic, expression - but also surprisingly good soundstaging, depth, sense of acoustic and natural timbre to acoustic instruments.

Presumably your Linnie mate only has an LP12 though, whereas I have.........;-)

P.S. I will make enquiry as to a replacemt CDM4 if needed.

Beechwoods
02-02-2009, 07:56
I love how you've got your room set up. And those acoustic dampers. They might be an idea in my room, after proper speaker stands. It seems your more than a little 4AD fan, Mark, going by your posters. It's an expensive business collecting 4AD stuff :) I only have 'A Passage In Time' by Dead Can Dance but am a biiigg Pale Saints fan. I assume you've heard Ian Masters' stuff with Warren Defever under the ESP Summer moniker? I'm not familiar with Defever's stuff with HNIA but ESP Summer is beautifully oddball acoustic stuff for the most-part, with great songs.

YNWaN
02-02-2009, 09:00
I don't really 'collect' records as such but it's true that I do have a lot of 4AD stuff. Luckily, I bought most of it when it was first released - all my DCD stuff was bought new. The 4AD posters are from a limited edition tube of artwork that 4AD produced about 15 years ago. I bought it new then and have kept it safe for years until I finally framed a few.

Nick, I don't know the esp stuff you mention - I will investigate immediately :-).

John
02-02-2009, 09:38
Hi Mark
I be interested to hear how you built your own TT
What plinth platter and bearing did you use

YNWaN
02-02-2009, 10:49
Hi John, as you asked :-),

The main features of the deck are thus:

The stand is integrated (actually bolted into and part of) into the base of the deck. Although it is difficult to see the plinth is actually two separate elements with the top section suspended above the base (the suspension gap is quite small). The suspension uses coils springs arranged in such a manner as to create a low centre of gravity whilst being asymmetrically positioned. In addition, each spring has an adjustable oil damping element (horizontal) that works in conjunction with a pneumatic element (vertical). The result is to provide limited vertical damping, but rapid decay, with progressively greater horizontal damping. The motor is mounted within a separate pod, which is adjustable for position, attached to the lower base section - additional machining of the base section has taken place to route energy as required. The motor pod consists of two distinct elements. The motor itself is housed in the top section which holds the motor in a combination of tensioned three point collet and sandwiched under tension between two elements. The top section of the motor housing pivots on the lower section. The chassis rests on a second layer of suspension which has a quite different range of operation to that of the much more compliant first stage. The specific manner in which the sub-chassis is terminated makes a big difference and fine level adjustment is also provided. The chassis proper consists of twin layers of carbon fibre/Nomex laminate which are bonded together to produce a true constrained layer. The armboard is made from the same material and care has been taken to allow the two to be bolted together in a manner that will not crush the chassis. The main bearing is bonded, and further, reinforced, within the main body of the chassis. The outer platter is from an LP12 (though I now have access to a lathe capable of machining a new one so may do that - I don't expect much benefit) although a constrained layer has been applied to the underside. The bearing is supported on opposing magnets with additional shielding. The motor is an AC unit and is powered from a Naim Armageddon and the arm is a Naim ARO. Proper cable dressing and clamping is provided. The suspended mass is quite high but the mass that the arm sees is very low (key design points IMHO). The platter uses a minimun contact, rigid coupling, trchnique to terminate the record. I have experimented extensively in this area and feel this offers obviously better results than any other method (I have tried) - and I have tried acrylic mats a umber of times :-).

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/5.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/1-2.jpg

John
02-02-2009, 17:58
Thanks Mark for the info
I bet it aounds great

pjdowns
02-02-2009, 18:31
P.S. I will make enquiry as to a replacemt CDM4 if needed.

Could be interested if it needs to be repaired / replaced, although I understand that the one in the CDI was a specific CDM4 and that you have to get the right one :)

Hoping that it is just or something else which is cheap :) ... Yeah right, I wish !!!

Paul.

YNWaN
02-02-2009, 20:58
Thanks Mark for the info
I bet it sounds great

I thought you may regret asking ;)

I think it sounds good and I have been told the same by others :)

@Paul, my fingers are crossed for you.

Sgt.Pepper
03-02-2009, 23:05
Thanks for the info YNWaN.
I also like the matching table leg top caps to other elements in the turntable itself,nice touch :painting:

YNWaN
04-02-2009, 00:23
Thanks Paul,

The table/stand is actually bolted into the structure of the turntable base and the triangular bracing elements are used to subdivide the base and break up the resonant structure. The caps are made from Ebony (very unpleasant to work with). On the stand tops they are purely decorative and echo the ones on the sub-chassis. On the sub-chassis they are locking nuts for the level adjustment.

If anybody is wondering - the small hole that can be seen on the chassis, near the cartridge, is the air release for one of the suspension elements that are out of sight just below it.

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 09:40
I'm not sure if this thread was my first on AoS but it must have been a pretty early one; in the spirit of 'back from the grave' I've decided to update it!

So, what's changed? Pretty much everything to some extent - some really big changes some invisible from the outside.

The most obvious change is that my long standing, and much loved, Epos ES14 speakers have been replaced with Yamaha NS-1000Ms. I then heavily refurbished (partly rebuilt) the Yammies - built fancy external crossovers for them. Also built custom 'super tweeters' for them and custom speaker stands.

Changed the bearing on my turntable twice, refining the magnetic support. Changed the design and build of the armboard twice (now constrained layer aluminium). Designed a new record clamp for it (just changed that again!). Modified the TT power supply and altered the platter slightly. Altered the aesthetic of the deck slightly and some of the materials used.

The cartridge is another Linn Troika (one off black one) but now rebuilt with ruby cantilever and the best quality FG stylus.

The bias arrangement on the arm has been slightly altered.

New interconnects - twice now (now Epiphany Acoustics Atratus III)

Completely new phono stage - now a four box Paradise stage.

Replaced all the internals of my pre-amp with boards made by Ryan Sound Labs.

Replaced most of the internals of the pre-amp power supply with the new Avondale TPR4 module.

Converted my speakers to semi-active operation by adding a Lab.gruppen IPD 1200 amp to power the bass drivers. Wired to the speakers with Van Damme 4mm Tour Black.

Pretty much the only things that haven't had anything done to them are the main power amps and my speaker cables.

jandl100
31-08-2014, 10:04
I'm not sure if this thread was my first on AoS but it must have been a pretty early one; in the spirit of 'back from the grave' I've decided to update it!

So, what's changed? Pretty much ......

..... every cell in your body, as the previous post was well over 5 years ago. :eyebrows:

And as this is the Gallery section of AOS ... :worthless:

How about a Grand View of the whole shebang, if such is possible? ;)

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 10:10
I'll post a ton of pics Jerry - just gotta find them :).

I took these the other day, it's all a bit 'man cave' as the hi-fi has it's own room:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Fi/02C031B3-9200-4552-9D51-F114306E597F_zpsvixhgx4g.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Fi/318B310F-26B1-4903-80CC-9EC95EFB3405_zpshxued6lu.jpg

The wiggly cable is temporarily connecting the L.g power amp to my laptop so I can fiddle with the active crossover (largely sorted now :)).

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 10:11
Oh, I probably didn't have that room treatment on the walls last time - have also built those then :).

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 10:29
lab.gruppen IPD power amp (built in active crossover and DSP - 300wpc into 8Ohms, 600 into 4!)

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Fi/721D9438-348B-4E80-876A-5F20A998697A_zpssvig1nsk.jpg

You can dim or turn off the display in the software - now dimmed :).

Experimental record clamp (this is now owned by our own Marco):

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Fi/F03EFA9D-B394-4F1B-9157-A29A3602341B_zpsvgunhmqa.jpg

Half of elaborate four box Paradise phonostage;

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Fi/AC26F254-583C-46E0-B6C4-0CE63018C814_zpsihdfpmqy.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Fi/BB224209-D431-46E3-8915-56B383600118_zpsismrukdg.jpg

Stand for phonostage!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Fi/DE1DCF88-7C5E-400E-9028-A79BA4E59619_zpsqfwouyvy.jpg

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 10:32
Room treatment wall panels - I made 4:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Fi/3DCAB744-471D-4A96-AD53-DA6B9588A286_zpsmc7qnfjm.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Fi/0E32EC09-F642-4539-8524-0BAC51EB7073_zpsnfycxjyq.jpg

Another pic of the Yammies - super tweeter on top:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Fi/listeningroomspeaker_zps9590b19f.jpg

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 10:34
Oh, I designed and made a new clamping arrangement for the arm cable as it exits the deck - I forgot about that:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Fi/clampparts_zps6d2adc46.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Fi/clampfitted1_zpscd316afb.jpg

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 10:41
Fancy crossover and quite a lot of cable (all new custom back panel for the Yammies;

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Fi/A0448D6D-136B-4F10-928E-08B9B9C71F52_zpsxrprqhbe.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Yamaha%20NS-1000M%20Refurbishment/04688627-CDAC-4F8F-9F2B-C65B3951C6AF_zpsdlcsye17.jpg

Granite isolation bases even!

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Yamaha%20NS-1000M%20Refurbishment/baseandframeandcrossover_zps2fb80144.jpg

Acrylic covers:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Yamaha%20NS-1000M%20Refurbishment/95557C2B-B598-4EF8-9CAA-B194659E4F02_zpsrzib2rq6.jpg

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 10:45
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Yamaha%20NS-1000M%20Refurbishment/badgenologo_zps56421f79.jpg

super tweeters:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Supertweeterupdatefront_zps539c6c53.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Supertweeterupdateback_zps48acc915.jpg

Laser sight to align the super tweeters - yes, seriously:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/13D0F3DC-97FE-4308-85BE-6E61D57DD02C_zpsazn5nevt.jpg

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 10:47
Black Troika:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/null_zpse1fd2e4b.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/zoomtroika_zpse31a5a5f.jpg

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 10:50
Aluminium armboard (constrained layer construction):

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/7group-1_zps5d9c10aa.jpg

Macca
31-08-2014, 10:51
Attention to detail. It's the difference between a proper system like this and a lash up like mine ;)

Not sure about the flat-stacked records though!

Question about the Troika: What's the deal with the ruby cantilever? Is that just a name or is it really made out of ruby? And if so, why ruby?

The Yammies look a million dollars btw although I'm sure I've probably said that before.

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 10:52
Pre-amp power supply (Naim Hi-Cap) modified with Avondale TPR4:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/F319C09B-66A5-4211-BEE1-48FBE5320B74_zps7qudxhhe.jpg

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 10:57
Oh, made a couple of accessories too ;):

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/null_zps5e498578.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Fi/stylusforcegauge_zpscd5198c8.jpg

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 11:04
Attention to detail. It's the difference between a proper system like this and a lash up like mine ;)

Question about the Troika: What's the deal with the ruby cantilever? Is that just a name or is it really made out of ruby? And if so, why ruby?

The Yammies look a million dollars btw although I'm sure I've probably said that before.

The flat stacked records are my 'heavy rotation pile(s) - they don't seem to come to any harm :).

@ the ruby cantilever, yes it is actually made from ruby, the gemstone. Ruby and sapphire (which are the same thing other than the colour) are used as cantilever materials because they are super stiff.

@ the Yammies, thanks - feel free to say it many more times :). Refurbishing them was a massive labour of love - tons done to them both inside and out. They did come out well though (am loving them).

Firebottle
31-08-2014, 11:06
Those crossovers look amazing Mark, first class work :thumbsup:

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 11:09
Cheers :). Originally they had aluminium sleeves that went over them but when they were finished they looked so much like a box of exotic chocolates that I couldn't bring myself to hide them so made the clear acrylic covers instead :).

Spectral Morn
31-08-2014, 11:09
Fabulous Mark :cool:

Regards Neil

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 11:11
Thanks Neil - there, you see, nothing for five years and then....

JazzBones
31-08-2014, 11:50
Pre-amp power supply (Naim Hi-Cap) modified with Avondale TPR4:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/F319C09B-66A5-4211-BEE1-48FBE5320B74_zps7qudxhhe.jpg

Hi Mark, I have been following your modifications to your NAC72 and HiCap with great interest as I also use a Naim NAC72 with Avondale 821 super modules with Avondale link wires only, no mods to the Hi-Cap (CB) as yet although I will be intouch with WitchHat Adudio, who are not far from me for an Avondale upgrade in the near future. What exactly are the Ryan Sound Labs NAC72 boards, do they replace all the Naim daughter boards and is this just a question of opening up the box pulling the old boards out (which I do from time to time to clean contacts) and replacing same with Ryan Sound Labs (have never heard of them until now? Both my HiCap and NAP135s (CBS) where refurbished by the Naim Factory about six years ago so I would imagine that alot of the components have been replaced... the bill and payout was big enough :eek:

My speakers are early Rosewood SBLs (I was told by the Naim dealer I bought them from that Julian Vereker used this very pair himself for a while). They stand on Mana platforms made by Mana Acoustics for these speakers (My floor is concrete), atop this are Townshend Audio Maximum super tweaters on minimum setting... believe it or not these do enhance the overall delivery. Turntable is a last production Technics SL1210Mk2 heavily modded with MN Cu/Ali platter, MN bearing and base plate powered by a Timestep T-OC1 psu (the big daddy one). Arm is a AO moded Ekos and cartridge in use at the mo is a AT33EV but I'm thinking of changing this, any suggestions?

This is a lengthy questions and answers that I am chucking at you and I do appreciate any advice that comes from you. I never bother going onto the Naim Forum for advice as I know exactly what will come back. I was told by a top flight Naim dealer not so long ago that My NAC72 was holding my system back... I really don't think so but did not argue the point, just never went back.

Thanks mate

Ron

PS Do you leave your amps powered up 24/7 as I do... still using NAC5 speaker cables, stiff buggers?

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 11:51
My turntable - recent but not my current armboard or clamp!

http://www.homebuilthifi.com/images/projects/3619/1.jpg

Taken two years ago so not my current cartrige nor a bunch of internal stuff you wouldn't be able to see anyway.

7gjpkxpUxmk

Like my latest clamp- but not actually it!

http://www.homebuilthifi.com/images/projects/3619/5.jpg

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 12:48
Hi Mark, I have been following your modifications to your NAC72 and HiCap with great interest as I also use a Naim NAC72 with Avondale 821 super modules with Avondale link wires only, no mods to the Hi-Cap (CB) as yet although I will be intouch with WitchHat Adudio, who are not far from me for an Avondale upgrade in the near future. What exactly are the Ryan Sound Labs NAC72 boards, do they replace all the Naim daughter boards and is this just a question of opening up the box pulling the old boards out (which I do from time to time to clean contacts) and replacing same with Ryan Sound Labs (have never heard of them until now?

Hi Ron, yes the Ryan Sound Lab boards (RSL MusicPower) just plug in exactly like the standard ones. Kit Ryan makes a bunch of options and you can even have remote control of the volume! I've tried absolutely all the option available (all the Neil Jadman boards and all the Avondale ones) and the RSL ones are, by far, the best.

You can even get a loaner set to try them out - there is a big thread on the pink fish forum and you can sign up to try the loan set there (it's free, no charge):

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=151522&page=27

I was so impressed with them I wrote a massive review:

http://www.audioflat.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=211

Give them a go, they will absolutely transform your 72 I promise!
-------
The Withchat audio HatPin interconnect between Hi-Cap and 72 is worth getting too (I've also got one of them) and the Avondale TPR4 mod to the Hi-Cap works brilliantly with the RSL boards (quite a few people use this combo now).

Both my HiCap and NAP135s (CBS) where refurbished by the Naim Factory about six years ago so I would imagine that alot of the components have been replaced... the bill and payout was big enough :eek:

The RSL boards are basically the same circuit as Naim use but with better and newer components. The use of surface mount components has meant that extra regulation has been added directly where it is required (no other boards do this).

My speakers are early Rosewood SBLs (I was told by the Naim dealer I bought them from that Julian Vereker used this very pair himself for a while). They stand on Mana platforms made by Mana Acoustics for these speakers (My floor is concrete), atop this are Townshend Audio Maximum super tweaters on minimum setting... believe it or not these do enhance the overall delivery. Turntable is a last production Technics SL1210Mk2 heavily modded with MN Cu/Ali platter, MN bearing and base plate powered by a Timestep T-OC1 psu (the big daddy one). Arm is a AO moded Ekos and cartridge in use at the mo is a AT33EV but I'm thinking of changing this, any suggestions?

Rosewood SBL's - very nice (not very common). Have you considered building better crossovers for them?

Wouldn't be without my super tweeters :).

I like the AT33EV (much more than the OC9) but my rebuilt (by Goldring who were outstanding) Troika is one of the best carts I have ever heard.

This is a lengthy questions and answers that I am chucking at you and I do appreciate any advice that comes from you. I never bother going onto the Naim Forum for advice as I know exactly what will come back. I was told by a top flight Naim dealer not so long ago that My NAC72 was holding my system back... I really don't think so but did not argue the point, just never went back.

I never go on the Naim forum either. I am a member (first forum I ever joined) but the depth of knowledge is pitifully shallow.

PS Do you leave your amps powered up 24/7 as I do... still using NAC5 speaker cables, stiff buggers?

Yes I do :) (I don't use NacA5 though). Naim actually have a new speaker cable coming out soon but I'm told it's going to be over £100 a metre!

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 12:59
Ron, here is the Ryan Sound Lab website:

http://ryansoundlab.com/

Loads of the stuff you have asked has been chewed over in a ton of detail here - please feel free to join/contribute/ask questions/share experience etc. :).

http://www.audioflat.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php

Oh, by the way, I don't know what interconnects you use but the new Atratus III (Epiphany Acoustics) is outstanding!

RobbieGong
31-08-2014, 14:10
Ron, here is the Ryan Sound Lab website:

http://ryansoundlab.com/

Loads of the stuff you have asked has been chewed over in a ton of detail here - please feel free to join/contribute/ask questions/share experience etc. :).

http://www.audioflat.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php

Oh, by the way, I don't know what interconnects you use but the new Atratus III (Epiphany Acoustics) is outstanding!

Hi Mark, Dont doubt it. Read a review about the Atratus from 2012 and it heaped praise, they sounded great and very good value too. If these have been improved further then they'll be amazing. I may well take a punt at some point. ;)

jandl100
31-08-2014, 14:43
Mark loaned me a pair of his Atratus mk3 cables, I received them yesterday and I ordered two pairs of my own today. :eyebrows:

They are :stalks: :thumbsup:

JazzBones
31-08-2014, 15:59
Mucho thanks Mark/YNWaN for the return of info... I shall be looking into the info you gave me. Interesting about the RSL boards.
After I posted I looked up Ryan labs after first being directed to your indepth write up on pfm. I've had my Naim amps for a long long time and when they are set up with care and attention they sing. I have heard other systems I could live with but when I sit in front of mine, whilst not perfect whats is :scratch: I ask why bother with the hassle, expense etc of changing. I don't hop from one box to another. Will look into WitchHat's interconnect first of all. Thanks again for your advice. Oh, I forgot, I was always lead to believe that Naims and Yams NS1000 don't got together, Guess the people who said this were wrong!

Hi Robert/RobbieGong thanks for the directions regarding Ryan Labs.

May have to come back again for further questioning.

Ron

RobbieGong
31-08-2014, 16:09
Mucho thanks Mark/YNWaN for the return of info... I shall be looking into the info you gave me. Interesting about the RSL boards.
After I posted I looked up Ryan labs after first being directed to your indepth write up on pfm. I've had my Naim amps for a long long time and when they are set up with care and attention they sing. I have heard other systems I could live with but when I sit in front of mine, whilst not perfect whats is :scratch: I ask why bother with the hassle, expense etc of changing. I don't hop from one box to another. Will look into WitchHat's interconnect first of all. Thanks again for your advice. Oh, I forgot, I was always lead to believe that Naims and Yams NS1000 don't got together, Guess the people who said this were wrong!

Ron

Hi Ron, It's credit to Mark re: Ryan Labs :)

RobbieGong
31-08-2014, 16:10
Mark loaned me a pair of his Atratus mk3 cables, I received them yesterday and I ordered two pairs of my own today. :eyebrows:

'nuf said Jerry :)

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 16:54

Ron

Hey Ron you are more than welcome :).

I've also heard that the Yammies don't work with transistor amps and 'need' valves to sound their best. What can I say, I've heard them a number of times now driven by valve amps and it just isn't for me - I always feel there is a sense of the tail wagging the dog. Taking them semi-active has made a big difference though and the RSL boards are super detailed without being hard or aggressive.

I first heard about the RSL boards from a small mention from someone on pfm. It all sounded highly unlikely to me as RSL are a North American company and Naim never managed much market penetration in the US - hardly a 'hot bed' for Naim modifications. In addition, I had not long since completed extensive modification of a set of Neil Jadman (NJ) 72 boards and the system was really singing. However, nothing tried nothing gained and so I contacted Kit Ryan (owner, maker and designer of RSL) and arranged a loan - fully expecting to be reassured that I already owned the ultimate expression of 72 boards. It therefore came as quite a shock (not one I wanted at all) to find that they were quite a bit better than any of the other cards I had tried and worse, I couldn't live without them in my system! Kit turned out to be a really hard core DIY enthusiast who made the boards entirely himself, even developing his own method of applying the incredibly tiny surface mount components and his solution turned out to be exceedingly well thought out, beautifully made and amazingly flexible.

Marco
31-08-2014, 17:27
Experimental record clamp (this is now owned by our own Marco):

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Fi/F03EFA9D-B394-4F1B-9157-A29A3602341B_zpsvgunhmqa.jpg

…and (very) superb it is, too (now listed in my sig)… For me, it’s the record clamp that ends all other record clamps: an ingenious low-mass design, based on magnetic attraction. More on that in my review next week! :)

Marco.

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 17:53
Cool :) - and the matching record mat?

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 18:01

Yeah, was pleased and surprised (in equal measure) that Jerry and I saw so eye to eye on this. Oliver at Epiphany Acoustics only released the Atratus III a couple of weeks ago and, as an early adopter of his earlier cable, I was lucky enough to try it pre-release. In short, I think it's absolutely excellent (and uses the outstanding KLE Harmony Silver, not the copper, RCA plugs) - highly recommended!

Marco
31-08-2014, 18:22
Cool :) - and the matching record mat?

Indeed. Did you take a picture of that at all? The black one with the numerous raised metal ‘dimples’ on it. If so, pop a pic of it on here, and it’ll save me from photographing it :)

Marco.

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 18:31
Don't think I've got a pic of the proto one you have;

This is the actual one I use:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/2_zps932efeb5.jpg

I've had a new thought about that too...
------

I've nearly completed an aluminium version of the clamp you have - I'm super pleased with that (too pleased to let it out of my hands at present) - will do some more work on it tomorrow.

Marco
31-08-2014, 18:35
Cool… Is that mat carbon-fibre, as opposed to acrylic?

Marco.

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 18:38
Yep, it's carbon fibre (the one you have isn't acrylic though - polyprop). I've just managed to source a small supply of rather lovely CF :).

Marco
31-08-2014, 18:45
Ooooh…. Keep me posted! :)

Marco.

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 18:59
Will do. The clamp is likely to look very like the one in the pic above - only got the carbon fibre inset lid to make. For my mat idea I've got to order some bits - may come to nothing.
----------
Am listening to some music now - loving it :).

Marco
31-08-2014, 19:11
The prototype clamp looks more than respectable, but it’d be nice to have something sexier :smoking:

Marco.

YNWaN
31-08-2014, 21:08
Cool - I take care even with prototypes :).

Marco
31-08-2014, 21:25
That is obvious :)

Marco.

YNWaN
01-09-2014, 12:59
Oh yeah :) - more than a five year gap between posts 37 and 38....

YNWaN
01-09-2014, 16:36
A bit of work today:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Fi/44FDF3BE-A081-47C2-9E71-BFD5D5EE2B71_zpsywcpoosl.jpg (http://s62.photobucket.com/user/markemark_2006/media/Hi-Fi/44FDF3BE-A081-47C2-9E71-BFD5D5EE2B71_zpsywcpoosl.jpg.html)

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Fi/1E738099-9991-433D-B7F6-FA306187714D_zpsjgavwhjy.jpg (http://s62.photobucket.com/user/markemark_2006/media/Hi-Fi/1E738099-9991-433D-B7F6-FA306187714D_zpsjgavwhjy.jpg.html)

Marco
02-09-2014, 11:12
Have you got the new batch of CF in, then? :)

Marco.

YNWaN
02-09-2014, 12:00
Yes, a small supply of carbon fibre has been delivered :) - am waiting for a couple of other bits though.

I was thinking of making a loaner clamp and mat that people could try. If there was sufficient interest I could make a small batch. I've actually just made the clamp from laser cut acrylic (quite like yours Marco). I want to try it at home compared to the aluminium one I have just made - the aluminium ones take considerably longer to machine and there is quite a lot of post finishing.

This is the laser cut acrylic (some polyprop too):

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Fi/D1F81CF4-2487-4BF6-BC9C-8B93AFC13390_zpse7o4gjrq.jpg (http://s62.photobucket.com/user/markemark_2006/media/Hi-Fi/D1F81CF4-2487-4BF6-BC9C-8B93AFC13390_zpse7o4gjrq.jpg.html)

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/markemark_2006/Hi-Fi/AF0F9BA6-6CC3-4FFA-A346-98FDFD5D31CE_zpsldfe0goy.jpg (http://s62.photobucket.com/user/markemark_2006/media/Hi-Fi/AF0F9BA6-6CC3-4FFA-A346-98FDFD5D31CE_zpsldfe0goy.jpg.html)

struth
02-09-2014, 12:21
Nice work Mark.

Marco
02-09-2014, 12:24
I was thinking of making a loaner clamp and mat that people could try. If there was sufficient interest I could make a small batch.

I’m confident there will be after I post my review ;)

Therefore, I’m sure we can make the loaner clamp and mat idea a go-er.

I've actually just made the clamp from laser cut acrylic (quite like yours Marco). I want to try it at home compared to the aluminium one I have just made - the aluminium ones take considerably longer to machine and there is quite a lot of post finishing.

Interesting… Let us know what results you achieve, as it’ll probably have a bearing on which way I go with the clamp. I suspect that different clamp materials (and indeed mat materials, too) will influence the resulting sonic effect achieved.

Marco.

Marco
02-09-2014, 12:30
Nice work Mark.

Indeed. Grant, the performance of this clamp is head and shoulders above that of any others I’ve used to date. Essentially, it provides massive ‘clamping power’ (through magnetic attraction with the spindle), but via extremely low mass.

Despite what anyone thinks, loading bearings with high amounts of mass (in order to achieve a record clamping effect), no matter how rigidly constructed the bearing is, is not a good idea. For me, Mark’s design quite simply makes all other record clamps redundant - especially the high-mass variety!

Marco.

struth
02-09-2014, 14:00
Indeed. Grant, the performance of this clamp is head and shoulders above that of any others I’ve used to date. Essentially, it provides massive ‘clamping power’ (through magnetic attraction with the spindle), but via extremely low mass.

Despite what anyone thinks, loading bearings with high amounts of mass (in order to achieve a record clamping effect), no matter how rigidly constructed the bearing is, is not a good idea. For me, Mark’s design quite simply makes all other record clamps redundant - especially the high-mass variety!

Marco.
That's precisely what puts me off clamps, ie clumping a huge weight onto the bearing cannot be good for it. I have a soft clamp which is quite good, although it has a construction flaw in that the spindle hole wears rapidly and it becomes harder to use. Will look out for the review.

YNWaN
02-09-2014, 14:06
Should be getting a new lathe delivered this week so that may well make turning of the aluminium clamps a bit easier - unfortunately it's still not CNC which would have made things very much easier.

The aluminium clamps are heavier than the acrylic ones, but compared to normal clamps they are much lighter. The aluminium one is probably a similar weight to the Michell one but has greater clamping action and doesn't clamp to the main spindle (barely touches it in fact).

Although I call it a record clamp my design is more like a record weight in many ways, except without the actual weight! It is a clamp in that it clamps the record to the mat but it doesn't clamp itself to the record spindle and the force it apples is consistent from record to record. You can fit and remove it without stopping the platter (in fact there is no advantage to stopping the platter) and works with softly sprung designs as well as solid plinth types.

The magnetic field is very localised and there is absolutely no issue even with sensitive MC cartridges.

Marco
02-09-2014, 14:35
The magnetic field is very localised and there is absolutely no issue even with sensitive MC cartridges.

Yes, that is indeed the case and should be stressed. However, the magnetic field generated is strong enough to provide a superb ‘record-clamping effect' - way more than any high-mass record weights I’ve tried in the past have been able to apply [evenly, too], and like you say without putting any pressure on the spindle, which IMO is not a good idea.

Marco.

YNWaN
02-09-2014, 14:47
I agree Marco (I'm pleased it is still 'doing it' for you :)). Personally I have used a magnetically supported platter for some years now (my own design - now on Mk5) and the bearing does not make contact with a thrust pad - reducing load on the bearing is, in my opinion, always a good thing; it reduces wear, but more importantly it reduces noise.

This clamp isn't a universal solution though, it will only work on those decks that use a tool steel bearing shaft and spindle. I don't think it would work on a Pink Triangle deck for example as the record spindle is brass and probably not a Roksan either (the ones with removable record spindles).

Jimbo
02-09-2014, 15:19

Marco.
The VPI clamp I use is manufactured from Delrin which is a light but very strong plastic, I believe it is used in some Cartridge bodies as it had some acoustic damping properties. The clamp has a brass thread which screws down onto a threaded spindle.
This design allows the user to exert just the amount of pressure required to either clamp a record to a mat or in the case of less than flat vinyl it can be used to both flatten and clamp.
Sonically it works very well and certainly with the VPI TT it is an integral part of the system.

I offer this info as I can see a very positive outcome with the clamp design mentioned in this post!

Marco
02-09-2014, 15:20
Or perhaps a Rega, whom I also believe use non-ferrous materials on their spindles.

Btw, I’ve been experimenting a bit more with the mats, and now have a new (overall favourite), which is the ‘flatter’ black one with the strange shapes on it. The other one I liked before (the one with the larger multiple ‘dimples’) is still very good, but on my T/T, with some material, added a slightly hard edge to the sound.

The ‘flatter’ one (very slightly) trades leading-edge attack for fluidity, and an overall more natural sense of ‘musical flow’, whilst still possessing wonderful detail and clarity. However, this is more likely a synergy thing in my system, rather than any inherent design flaws in the former.

All the mats you sent trounce conventional mats, in terms of sonic performance, which support the full surface area of the record (and thus, to my ears, over-damp it, and the resulting sound).

I’d like to try a carbon-fibre version :)

Marco.

YNWaN
02-09-2014, 15:44
Oh, I'm a bit unsure which one you mean now Marco? My preference is for the one that is a single sheet with all the strange shapes cut into it - is that the one you mean?

Regarding the Rega's - yes, you are probably right.

Marco
02-09-2014, 15:50
Hi Jim,

The VPI clamp I use is manufactured from Delrin which is a light but very strong plastic, I believe it is used in some Cartridge bodies as it had some acoustic damping properties.

The material used on the Mike New ETP platter is very similar, which is why it requires no additional damping from the use of a record mat, and probably also why most folk who have an ETP use it with records placed directly onto the platter, without a mat.

However, I found that with the Trans-Fi Resomat, (and now Mark’s mat), the design of which takes the ‘decoupling’ of the record from the platter much further, placing records directly onto, even the ETP platter (which mostly interfaces very well with the record), still over-dampens it, with the result that an ‘opaque’ quality is imbued on the sound, subtly masking detail retrieval and reducing overall resolution.

Mark’s mat, by supporting only the inner section of the record (label area and run-out grooves, via a series of little raised ‘dimples'), leaving the remainder ‘floating’ approximately 4mm from the surface of the platter, whilst being held rigidly in position by the magnetic record clamp, removes the damping effect created by a conventional mat (i.e. one that supports the record over its entire surface), or by placing records directly onto any platter. Mark’s mat simply takes what the Resomat did so well and runs with it further.

However, this mat will only work on platters requiring no damping from the use of a record mat, therefore, ‘zingy’ metal platters will still need some form of resonance damping before Mark’s mat (and clamp) can be used effectively. A Sounddampedsteel mat I suspect would be ideal here, with Mark’s mat placed on top.

The result of using Mark’s clamp and mat combo is markedly superior vocal and instrumental separation, improved clarity, and overall more information being extracted from the grooves, with minimal coloration - it’s a fabulous and very musically satisfying effect. As such, I’d thoroughly recommend that folk try Mark’s mat and clamp combo, once he produces the loaner set to AoS members.

In my opinion it’s a bit of revelation, and so deserves much wider recognition! :)

Marco.

Marco
02-09-2014, 15:53
Oh, I'm a bit unsure which one you mean now Marco? My preference is for the one that is a single sheet with all the strange shapes cut into it - is that the one you mean?

Yes, that’s the one :)

Marco.

struth
02-09-2014, 15:57
I love my resomat on the Arezzo, so if its an improvement on that one it must be rather special.

Marco
02-09-2014, 16:33
To my ears, on my T/T, it is. However, as ever with these things, the results will be system dependent. You just have to suck it and see! :)

Marco.

YNWaN
02-09-2014, 19:28
I've got another mat experiment I want to try before I make any new CF mats.

If one does have a rather lively platter using the sound dead steel mat would be a good way of solving that (and in line with my ideas) - then pop the point contact mat on that and the clamp - job done :).

I've tried loads of mats (bought them, made them and even custom specified them). I have a very different different system to Marco's (extremely different) but I still find this mat and clamp to be the best solution.

Marco
03-09-2014, 06:58
I've got another mat experiment I want to try before I make any new CF mats.

If one does have a rather lively platter using the sound dead steel mat would be a good way at solving that (and in line with my ideas) - then pop the point contact mat on that and the clamp - job done :).

Let us know how you get on with your further experiments. In terms of the SDS mat, I agree :)

Marco.

YNWaN
03-09-2014, 11:37
Will do

YNWaN
03-09-2014, 15:13
Hmm.. There is a subjective difference between the aluminium and acrylic clamps - not really got my head around it yet...

The aluminium is very slightly more vivid but the acrylic has slightly better focus.

Marco
03-09-2014, 16:12
Interesting... If I had to choose between either attribute, I'd probably go for the 'slightly better focus' option :)

Marco.

YNWaN
03-09-2014, 20:12
Yes, it's not a very clear difference in fact and I've not yet reached any firm conclusions myself.

Floyddroid
05-09-2014, 05:20
I think in comparison to this most people including myself have a lash up.

Wakefield Turntables
05-09-2014, 08:17
Hi Jim,

However, this mat will only work on platters requiring no damping from the use of a record mat, therefore, ‘zingy’ metal platters will still need some form of resonance damping before Mark’s mat (and clamp) can be used effectively. A Sounddampedsteel mat I suspect would be ideal here, with Mark’s mat placed on top.

Marco.

I dont think this will be an issue with the Al/Cu platter. As you know it weighs a bloody ton and completely resonant free if you give it a good "thunk" with yer knuckles! I agree with you with the Resomat and look forward to see how Mark can advance his designs.

Marco
05-09-2014, 08:41
Hi Andy,

It still rings a bit, if you strike it with another piece of metal… Mine did that, when I had the same platter, as will all metal T/T platters to some degree. Anyway, it seems you’ve got more pressing concerns with your T/T, as apparently, it can’t get up to 45rpm! :eek:

Marco.

YNWaN
05-09-2014, 08:46
No, I don't think it will be an issue with your platter either.

The point is that some see the role of the mat as damping for the platter and this kind of mat doesn't do that (my own stance is that the role of the mat is to optimally support and terminate the record, not to damp the platter).

My design wasn't developed from the Resomat though, it's rather vice versa ;).

YNWaN
05-09-2014, 08:50
I think in comparison to this most people including myself have a lash up.

That's kind of you to say - it's easier to have things carefully set up when the system has its own room. I definitely need to concentratete on finishing my new turntable and arm next.

Wakefield Turntables
05-09-2014, 09:10
Hi Andy,

It still rings a bit, if you strike it with another piece of metal… Mine did that, when I had the same platter, as will all metal T/T platters to some degree. Anyway, it seems you’ve got more pressing concerns with your T/T, as apparently, it can’t get up to 45rpm! :eek:

Marco.

Yeah but I'll be only striking my platter with VINYL and not metal :rofl:.

Simon of this Parish thinks he can hear an issue with my deck getting upto 45rpm, it probably does, it dosen't really bother me as I listen to everything at 33rpm and I can you tell that the deck has NO problems stabilising at 33rpm. I can also tell you that he prefers the bass on my ATC's compared to his Yams. :lolsign:

Marco
05-09-2014, 09:24
Lol…… Oi loikes playing me 80s 12” singles too much for 45rpm ever to be a problem!

Marco.

brian2957
05-09-2014, 09:39
Yup we know you're an old Bay City Rollers fan :lol: Shangalang to you to :)

Marco
05-09-2014, 09:42
Lol - that’s 70s pish, not 80s pish! :D

Try The Human League, Depeche Mode or The Eurythmics instead (and many others) ;)

Marco.

brian2957
05-09-2014, 09:46
But I liked the tartan cowboy shirts :lol: Wife found mine and threw it out a couple of years ago . Didn't fit me anyway :rolleyes:
Agree on your choice of 80s music . The vast majority of my collection predates 1995 I believe .

YNWaN
05-09-2014, 10:05
I can also tell you that he prefers the bass on my ATC's compared to his Yams. :lolsign:

He needs active bass :) - ATC's do do good bass though.

Marco
05-09-2014, 10:19
Nah, you just need proper man-sized drive units! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
05-09-2014, 12:16
He needs active bass :) - ATC's do do good bass though.

I've always wanted to hear a set of Yams. I bet a fully active pair would really be something and give the ATC's a really good run for their money!

Nah, you just need proper man-sized drive units! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Yeah I'm in the 15" club as well, imagine making the big tannoy's fully active.... :eek:

YNWaN
05-09-2014, 13:15
Just the bass is active on my Yamahas - but I prefer the sound of the beryllium mid and tweeter to those of the soft domes that ATC use.

YNWaN
15-10-2014, 08:12
After careful consideration, I have decided not to make a clamp and mat available to AoS members for trial purposes.