PDA

View Full Version : Latest purchases

keiths
09-08-2012, 13:50
I was passing a charity shop earlier today and popped in on the off chance that they may have some vinyl and picked up this little lot:

http://www.simister.com/public/bh1.jpg

Shostakovich Symphony No. 4 - The Philadelphia Orchestra/Eugene Ormandy (CBS Blue label, 1963)

Shostakovich Symphony No. 6/Prokofiev Lieutenant Kijé - London Symphony Orchestra/André Previn (EMI, 1974)

Ravel & Shostakovich Piano Trios - Trio Zingara (Phoenix Records, 1981)

Sibelius Symphony No. 1/Karelia Suite - Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra/Lorin Maazel (Decca ffrr, 1964)

http://www.simister.com/public/bh2.jpg

Shostakovich Concerto for Piano, Trumpet and Strings/Stravinsky Capriccio - John Ogdon, piano/John Wilbraham, trumpet/Adademy of St. Martin-In-The-Fields/Neville Marriner (Argo, 1972)

Saint-Saens Organ Symphony - City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra/Christopher Robinson, organ/Louis Frémaux (EMI Columbia Studio 2 Stereo, 1973)

Delius Appalachia (variations on an old slave song)/An Arabesque - Einar Norby, baritone/Royal Philharmonic Orchestra & Chorus/Sir Thomas Beecham (Fontana, 1960)

Vaughan Williams A London Symphony - London Philharmonic Orchestra/Sir Adrian Boult (EMI, 1975)

http://www.simister.com/public/bh3.jpg

Ferde Grofe Grand Canyon Suite/Concerto for Piano and Orchestra - Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra/Jesus Maria Sanroma, piano/Ferde Grofe (The World Record Club, 1963)

Copland Symphony No. 3 - London Symphony Orchestra/Aaron Copland (The World Record Club, 1963)

All appear to be from the same collection, as they each have a date (I guess the date that the original owner purchased them) neatly written at the top left hand corner of the back of the sleeve. Also, several have a shop sticker on the back "Osborne's, 4 and 57 Parson's St. Banbury".

The Piano Trios record also has autographs of the three lady musicians on the back and has a flyer and programme from a recital given by the trio for Banbury & District Musical Society on 29th September 1981. There is also a press cutting from the Banbury Guardian reviewing the recital.

I find these little details facinating: is the shop in Banbury still trading? What about the original collector of these records? How did they end up all together in a Hospice charity shop in the Peak District?

They are all in absolutely mint condition.

I paid £10 for the lot.

Tarzan
09-08-2012, 14:06
Wow! Lovely covers Keith, l myself trawl charity shops for classical vinyl and buy just for the cover artwork sometimes:)

Audio Al
09-08-2012, 17:35
All I can say is

RESULT ;)

archiesdad
09-08-2012, 20:23
Ok question from a philistine, you paid £10 but what do you reckon they ARE actually worth?

keiths
09-08-2012, 20:54
Ok question from a philistine, you paid £10 but what do you reckon they ARE actually worth?

I really have no idea :scratch:. I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to classical and don't know if any of these are at all rare or desirable. I suppose I could trawl through eBay and look them all up, but I'm not sure I can be bothered to be honest. I assume the charity shop was happy with £10 as that's what they asked me for when I took them to the till

Alex_UK
10-08-2012, 06:46
Lieutenant Kijé is on eBay for £12 alone, so I'd say you got your money's worth there Keith! Nice one! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASD-3029-SHOSTAKOVICH-SYMPHONY-No-6-PROKOFIEV-LIEUTENANT-KIJE-NM-/130695555301?pt=UK_Records&hash=item1e6e0fe8e5#ht_2041wt_1163

MartinT
15-10-2012, 18:23
Shostakovich Symphony No. 6/Prokofiev Lieutenant Kijé - London Symphony Orchestra/André Previn (EMI, 1974)

What a great haul! I have that Previn 6th and it's superb, like all his Shostakovich. The Kijé is rather good, too!

I wouldn't mind adding that Grofe to my collection, either. A friend of mine had it but I haven't yet found a copy.

keiths
15-10-2012, 20:10
What a great haul! I have that Previn 6th and it's superb, like all his Shostakovich. The Kijé is rather good, too!

I wouldn't mind adding that Grofe to my collection, either. A friend of mine had it but I haven't yet found a copy.

Thanks Martin. I went back to the same shop a few weeks later as I'd passed up many a nice looking record from the same collection on my first visit, but someone else had beat me to them.

I've not played the Ferde Grofé yet as I've a big backlog of cleaning and listening to do (my dad's Alzheimer's is getting worse and it's difficult to play classical music whilst he's around as he hates it - so there's only limited scope at the moment), but if I find the Grofé LP not to my taste I'll gladly pass it on to you.

MartinT
15-10-2012, 20:22
You're very kind, sir, but I suspect you'll like it ;)

lewis
11-11-2012, 14:17
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g457/pockets17/51fRp-inFBL__SS500_.jpg

Has anyone got, or heard this recording? It's available on 180g vinyl, and one of my favourite classical guitar pieces.

tannoyman
15-11-2012, 17:54
I really have no idea :scratch:. I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to classical and don't know if any of these are at all rare or desirable. I suppose I could trawl through eBay and look them all up, but I'm not sure I can be bothered to be honest. I assume the charity shop was happy with £10 as that's what they asked me for when I took them to the till

Hi Keith

You can check out auction results for rare classical records on www.popsike.com. One caveat. Values are all about labels and condition as well as rarity. Its generally the first labels that have value

See the following link for some of the labels.

http://www.revolutions33.co.uk/collectors_guide.htm

It's also worth noting that there are two markets for records, the collectors markets where people collect to own not necessarily to enjoy and the music market where its about enjoying the music ratgher than its value. In the collectors markert expect inflated prices often not justified by the quality of the music. So a 3rd label copy of a great record is fine for a music lover because it may be a better mastering and will certainly be newer and so have had less time to be spoiled. Record Colector Grading System is useless because its visual only. It is merely a mechanism to enable dealers to sell with only a visual inspection i.e to pass their rubbish off on an unsuspecting customer

David :):)

Eremite
15-11-2012, 18:35
Has anyone got, or heard this recording? It's available on 180g vinyl, and one of my favourite classical guitar pieces.

Goodness, yes, this takes me back. I used to have it many years ago on vinyl. So long ago, if fact, I haven't the foggiest what I did with it! I do remember it being very good.

lewis
16-11-2012, 07:46
Goodness, yes, this takes me back. I used to have it many years ago on vinyl. So long ago, if fact, I haven't the foggiest what I did with it! I do remember it being very good.

Thanks. :)