PDA

View Full Version : WANTED ALPHASON Hr100s

Wakefield Turntables
09-08-2012, 11:50
Long shot but if anyone has one lurking around I would like to purchase if the price is right :eyebrows:

Beobloke
09-08-2012, 11:53
I have one 'lurking around' but you'll have to prise it from my cold, dead hands - sorry! :D

Wakefield Turntables
09-08-2012, 14:18
You rotten sod ! :D

StanleyB
09-08-2012, 15:05
Aye.. Mine looks so tempting in its secure wooden box.

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/aos/hs100.jpg

What turntable are you going to fit your HS100 onto?

Wakefield Turntables
09-08-2012, 15:48
Alphason solo. I've only had the deck fot two weeks and I love it. I said I'd never go down the route of belt drive or sprung suspension again but I'm going to eat my words :rolleyes: is yours up for sale or are you just teasing me :lol:

StanleyB
09-08-2012, 15:57
The reason it is still in its box is because I have had only peanuts offers. PM me your best shot and I'll see if I am tempted or hold out for a rich Far Eastern buyer.

Wakefield Turntables
09-08-2012, 17:40
Stanley I have no idea what the tonearm is worth so I wouldnt want to embarass myself. Why dont you send me a PM with your price, if I think its a fair price you'll have the funds within a few hours, if I dont like your price I'll make my excuses and get my coat ;)

synsei
09-08-2012, 17:44
Andrew, have you given up on your Techie or is the Solo destined for a second system?

Wakefield Turntables
09-08-2012, 18:09
No, the 1210 is with Paul Hynes at this moment being repaired and you guessed it, upgraded further ;) The alphason solo is just a deck I bought cheaply on ebay but I'm beginning to realise that its something special hence why I want the matching alphason tonearm. The alphason solo turntable will for the time being be the deck of my second system which is valve based. Well thats the plan for the time being.

the engine
10-08-2012, 03:45
If it's any help I paid £300 for a Xenon.....the model below.
My second attempt after swapping a REL sub for one years ago and getting well and truly ass reamed....it was a dog.
If you get a chance of a mint alphason my advice...break the bank. they're getting as rare as rocking horse shit.

Beobloke
10-08-2012, 07:45
The alphason solo is just a deck I bought cheaply on ebay but I'm beginning to realise that its something special hence why I want the matching alphason tonearm.

Strictly speaking, the matching arm for the Solo was either the Alphason Opal or Delta IIRC. The HR-100S only came as standard on the Sonata.

*Do we not have a 'nerd' smiley?!*

the engine
10-08-2012, 08:17
Yeah...lovely looking arm.....orrible looking deck !
Was it made from banana boxes ?

Wakefield Turntables
10-08-2012, 09:02
Strictly speaking, the matching arm for the Solo was either the Alphason Opal or Delta IIRC. The HR-100S only came as standard on the Sonata.

I stand corrected, sorry!

Yeah...lovely looking arm.....orrible looking deck !
Was it made from banana boxes ?

I thought it was old beer crates! :cool:

Audioman
10-08-2012, 13:49
The HR100S is almost too good for the Solo. The Sonata was a great TT and overlooked (in spite of some positive reviews) due to the Linn Cartel so I was told by a dealer some years ago. It's a pity Alphason threw in the towel and resorted to racks not even keeping support for these products. I suppose I've got you looking for a Sonata now Andrew? Solo was nothing special but the Sonata was excellent and shit on Linn etc on looks.

Wakefield Turntables
10-08-2012, 13:57
Paul,

Nope not looking for anything else. I'm keeping the solo. You must remember I pad £130 for the TT, record weight, delivery and external PSU. Not back for a 2nd deck for my 2nd system. I dont really want to spend more money on a Sonata, I'll be saving my cash for the HR100s and then a fettle at J7's.

Andy

Audioman
10-08-2012, 14:29
Paul,

Nope not looking for anything else. I'm keeping the solo. You must remember I pad £130 for the TT, record weight, delivery and external PSU. Not back for a 2nd deck for my 2nd system. I dont really want to spend more money on a Sonata, I'll be saving my cash for the HR100s and then a fettle at J7's.

Andy

Andy.

Certainly a very reasonable price. Just proves that there are bargains when you get away from the most sort after models. Frankly can't remember what the Solo originaly cost but it wasn't that cheap and the Sonata was more expensive than the LP12 in it's day. Alpahason decks appear to be quite rare, much more so than the arms.

Paul.

Wakefield Turntables
10-08-2012, 16:22
Pity I cant find a hr100s :(

synsei
10-08-2012, 17:05
http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/alphasonsolofront.jpghttp://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/alphasonsolotop.jpghttp://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/alphasonxenon.jpg

I thought this thread deserved some pics of this lovely TT fitted with a Xenon arm ;)

Audioman
10-08-2012, 19:23
Pity I cant find a hr100s :(

Depends how much you want to pay. Didn't Stan Beresford have one spare at a price?

Paul.

Wakefield Turntables
10-08-2012, 19:43
Yes I asked him to send me a PM suggesting a price, still waiting!! He cant want my money that badly. :scratch:

DSJR
11-08-2012, 09:55
That turntable looks a heck of a lot like the popular Walker CJ55. Are they related?

seoirse2002
11-08-2012, 10:14

I have an Alphason Opal on my Acoustic Research TT but I would be selling it complete....
Perhaps you could take it off,fit another arm on the AR and sell it on?
I might take an offer on it.

Wakefield Turntables
11-08-2012, 10:20
Nope tone arm only, if I wanted another deck and a completely different tone arm to the advertised I would have said so.

seoirse2002
11-08-2012, 10:28
ok,no prob...
I do also have the arm you want, but...well...its on another tt and dont want to split

loonytunes
16-07-2013, 21:26
http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/alphasonsolofront.jpghttp://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/alphasonsolotop.jpghttp://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/Sgtgrash/Hifi%20Stuff/alphasonxenon.jpg

I thought this thread deserved some pics of this lovely TT fitted with a Xenon arm ;)

Can anyone tell me a little more about the Alphason Solo deck - I have the opportunity to own one handed down from a friend. He thinks it only plays single speed because looking under the platter there is only one wheel for the belt. So little is known about this deck from either my friend and I.

Wakefield Turntables
16-07-2013, 21:36
buy one you wont be disappointed

loonytunes
16-07-2013, 22:07
buy one you wont be disappointed

Er wow - that's a pretty good endorsement. Do you have any setup instructions for one of these? And it only looks like it plays single speed - my friend does not have the external power supply for it.

Wakefield Turntables
17-07-2013, 08:08
I owned one for a while and it's the best belt drive I've EVER heard. You should be able to change the speed with a small switch at the back of the psu if memory seves me. Set up is a doodle and and can be done in less than two minutes. All you need is a spirit level in the middle of the platter and then change the suspension with the two knobs on the deck's top surface. Hope this helps!

Haselsh1
15-08-2013, 16:05
The finest analogue combination I have ever owned was an Alphason Sonata fitted with an HR100S MCS and a Kiseki Blue way back in the early nineties. It was almost as good as my Logic DM101 but not quite.

Clive197
15-08-2013, 16:15
Found this, hope its helpful

Description
Over seven years professional design and development, including computer aided structural and vibrational analysis, together with top quality materials and precision construction, goes into making this the worlds best sounding tonearm.

Not only have basic parameters of tracking error, bearing friction and effective mass been catered for, but also such advanced scientific details as rigidity, resonances, energy paths and structural damping have been analytically optimised.

The Alphason HR100S is a most unusual arm. An ultra-strong, one-piece titanium casting forms the arm-tube and head shell; tool-grade steel is used for the gimbal-bearing housing and ultra-tough ceramic for the bearings themselves.

Specifications
Effective length: 229mm

Mounting distance: 211mm

Overhang: 18mm

Effective mass: 11g

Review

The HR100 impressed us strongly by it's neutral and tonally balanced performance. Treble was detailed and precisely located and yet free of edge or grain. The mid-range gave excellent rendition of vocal lines while bass was firm, extended and detailed. Stereo was exceptional with precise positioning and fine depth and ambience - £300 HiFi Choice 1983

Spectral Morn
15-08-2013, 16:31
The HR100S is almost too good for the Solo. The Sonata was a great TT and overlooked (in spite of some positive reviews) due to the Linn Cartel so I was told by a dealer some years ago. It's a pity Alphason threw in the towel and resorted to racks not even keeping support for these products. I suppose I've got you looking for a Sonata now Andrew? Solo was nothing special but the Sonata was excellent and shit on Linn etc on looks.

+1 agreed. I used to work for a dealership that sold Alphason and the Sonata was fantastic, though a tad hard to set up right but when optimised fully it was fabulous. Their other TTs were ok but not great imho.

It was a real shame Alphason made nice speakers too and their electronics were quite good as well, but when they went down the furniture route that was the death bell for the other stuff :(

Regards Neil

Johnnie7
15-08-2013, 21:24
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alphason-Designs-HR100S-MCS-Tonearm-Tonearm-Lead-/121156303289?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c357a79b9