PDA

View Full Version : Amptastic Mini-T TA2020 Amp

myles
08-08-2012, 21:52
'Floats like a Butterfly, stings like a Bee' was uttered by Ali many years ago, and I bet he didn't think it would be plaigarised to describe a diminutive piece of cheap hi-fi.

Let me tell you my tale. I was looking for an amp to replace the Fatman I-Tube I was using as a 'power amp' coupled with my Yaqin MS-12B pre . My remit really was to gain a little more oomph and 'honesty' in the reproduction. First stop was the Oracle, JANDL100 aka Jerry, who has guided me with a few tasty titbits lately. I asked his opinion of the Mini-T, and unsurprisingly he reacted in the positive. He did question however, if the Mini-T would give the oomph I craved.

Next stop was an email to Chris at Amptastic (as you can guess, Jerry's word was good enough for me). I purchased the amp with the higher rated PSU, and within a couple of days it was at my door. Excitement ensued, as I unwrapped it carefully (I am easily pleased), and in front of me sat the smallest thing with the biggest promise. I connected up and slipped Quadrophenia into the player. Magic! Even straight out of the box, there was more transparency, as if the boundaries of a band pass filter had been widened. Lovely, and I emailed Chris to that effect. Then, it happened......

Where was '5:15'? I didn't turn it off, nor did the Mrs (she knows better), but there sure as hell was no music making life that little bit better. When I looked at the amp, the backlit volume was now flashing. 'This aint right' so i disconnected/reconnected, changed inputs, on/off(executive reset), but nothing. This was 10 mins after I had sent the email singing its praises. I re-emailed Chris, explaining the situation and he suggested a few checks, all of which drew blanks. Long story short, he asked for the amp to be sent back and he would send a new one out. My issue is that I was/am due to fly out of the country and would not be round to accept and sign for the amp so Chris had one sitting ready to go, as soon as the duff one arrived, on a 24 hr delivery.

The amp arrived today, and I have given it some time with the following

Brian Wilson 'Imagination'
Empire Of The Sun 'Walking on a Dream'
MF Doom 'Live From Planet X
Toto 'Toto IV'

and the ruination of the last amp 'Quadrophenia', and it hasn't missed a beat throughout. The extra oomph is there, and it gives me so much more compared to the Fatman, which didn't disgrace itself with a bit of tube rolling.

This isn't a review of the amp as such(although you can tell Im more than happy), it is a nod to Chris at Amptastic, who was very helpful and ready to satisfy special delivery requests at the drop of a hat. I would and have recommended him wholeheartedly.

Not a bad amp for £60 either!

synsei
08-08-2012, 23:36
+1 :)

Agreed, Chris is a top bloke. My Amptastic Mini-T has supplanted a Hafler DH220 because it is more transparent, more dynamic, images better and surprisingly it has the oomph to drive my DM2's to quite insane levels...

jandl100
11-08-2012, 07:42
Yep, Chris at Amptastic is a top guy and knows what customer service is really about. :thumbsup:

Purely coincidentally, I had my Mini-T out the other day (Ooo -- missus! ;)) and had it hooked up to my insanely expensive MBL speakers :mental: as well as a pair of visiting Eminent Technology standmount ribbon hybrids.

It sounded fab, it really did!
I love that little amp. :)

wee tee cee
11-08-2012, 08:14
Its a great wee device....Chris was offering them for £55 to AOS members at one point. I cant help but think a lot of folk would get a terrible fright slotting one into they're systems in comparison to what they are running.I am concious that synergy comes into play and the mini t works better in some set ups than others..

istari_knight
11-08-2012, 09:59
Yep, they are better than they have any right to be.

I had one for a few months, when people saw it driving some castle conway III's much head scratching ensued !

Always wanted to DIY one of Arjen Helders into a nice box but never got 'round to it....

http://www.ebay.com/sch/arjenhelder_electronic/m.html

Nevalti
11-08-2012, 17:14
I have not actually heard an Amptastic but I have a Temple Audio Bantam Gold which is doubtless very similar. http://www.templeaudio.net/store.php Amazing quality for the money. I also have a couple of cheap Chinese ones which are as nearly as good for the price of a round of drinks. They all seem to sound exceptional for the money.

Has anyone tried bi or tri amping with these things? They are certainly cheap enough to experiment with, especially if you just buy just the PSB. I bought a Sure Electronics one on eBay for £9 a couple of years back to drive some old speakers for when I'm working in the garage. I have never tried it in my main system but it is very impressive doing it's garage job.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-15-Watt-4-Ohm-Class-D-Audio-Amplifier-Board-TA2024-/380441747602?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Suppl ies_ET&hash=item5894186092#ht_3186wt_1224

jandl100
11-08-2012, 17:19
I have not actually heard an Amptastic but I have a Temple Audio Bantam Gold which is doubtless very similar.

You should try a Mini-T. ;)
It beats the Bantam Gold for transparency, openness and detail. :thumbsup:
It is a bit brighter tonally, and doesn't have as much power, though, although the Mini-T gives out plenty for many speakers.

Clive
11-08-2012, 18:26
You should try a Mini-T. ;)
It beats the Bantam Gold for transparency, openness and detail. :thumbsup:
It is a bit brighter tonally, and doesn't have as much power, though, although the Mini-T gives out plenty for many speakers.

I find the Bantam Gold into hi-eff speakers is the most mature and complete 2020 sounding vs Mini-T and Arjen. Into less efficient speakers I really wouldn't want to comment.

electric beach
11-08-2012, 19:08
The original Bantam was a 2020 chip Clive but the Gold is not. I'm also a great fan of the Mini-T into efficient/ easy load speakers as you know but maybe we have to accept this chip's signature traits. A pair of them greatly improved the channel seperation and consequently the soundstage, with the treble becoming a lot sweeter.

Although the Bantam Gold monoblocks didn't gel with my Fostex 206 drivers, John's amp with the Snagle volume control replacing the preamp section made the Mini-T sound like a teenager and I'm looking forward to hearing it with the Sachikos next weekend. That's a whole other price level then though.

Clive
11-08-2012, 19:13
I worded it badly, I should have said 2020 class, I have a BG - the main difference is not the chip, it's in the output stage following the chip and the inductors are big part of this.

electric beach
11-08-2012, 19:26
I wasn't being pedantic Clive, I'm still trying to learn what is possible from certain chips and what is down to the implementation.

Clive
11-08-2012, 19:34
I wasn't being pedantic Clive, I'm still trying to learn what is possible from certain chips and what is down to the implementation.

That's ok, what I wrote was misleading.

DaveK
11-08-2012, 21:33
I have not actually heard an Amptastic but I have a Temple Audio Bantam Gold which is doubtless very similar. http://www.templeaudio.net/store.php Amazing quality for the money. I also have a couple of cheap Chinese ones which are as nearly as good for the price of a round of drinks. They all seem to sound exceptional for the money.

Has anyone tried bi or tri amping with these things? They are certainly cheap enough to experiment with, especially if you just buy just the PSB. I bought a Sure Electronics one on eBay for £9 a couple of years back to drive some old speakers for when I'm working in the garage. I have never tried it in my main system but it is very impressive doing it's garage job.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-15-Watt-4-Ohm-Class-D-Audio-Amplifier-Board-TA2024-/380441747602?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Suppl ies_ET&hash=item5894186092#ht_3186wt_1224

Genuine question 'cos I'm a newbie numptie :) - I have a pair of Mini-Ts in bi-amp formation but what is tri-amping and how might it benefit the SQ?
TIA,
Dave.

The Grand Wazoo
11-08-2012, 21:41
Tri-amping is the same as bi-amping, but with three way speakers, Dave......one amp channel for each drive unit.

DaveK
11-08-2012, 22:21
Tri-amping is the same as bi-amping, but with three way speakers, Dave......one amp channel for each drive unit.

Ah, thanks for that Chris, so in my case the third Mini-T would feed the super tweeters - mmmm, might give it a try :) .
Dave.

John
12-08-2012, 05:59
I tried alot of Tamps including the Amptastic, the Bantam and Arjen and thanks to my friend been able to try the Bantam with the Slagle volume control. Steve has heard this set up and it is in another league compaired to Amptastic (i still think the Amptastic is the best bargin out their) but so it should be, for me it shows just how far you can take Tamps.
A few years ago I had a Music First preamp with SAC Glowmaster KT88 power amp and I perfer the Bantam Gold/ Slagle Volume control combination.
The Arjen is a bit of a beast in the end I could not live with it but with some of my collection it really created magic and with others it really sounded very harsh in the Treble/mid

jandl100
12-08-2012, 06:13
and thanks to my friend been able to try the Bantam with the Slagle volume control. Steve has heard this set up and it is in another league compaired to Amptastic (i still think the Amptastic is the best bargin out their)

Very interesting!
Is this available as a commercial product? - or is it just for DIYers (i.e. not me!)?
I'd love to try it!! :)

There's a review of the Slagle volume controls here - http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0611/slagle_autoformer_volume_control_modules.htm - they certainly seem to like them!!

wee tee cee
12-08-2012, 06:46
I have four temple mono blocks that I bi-amp with, I prefer the mini t for overall presentation. The monos are far beefier bass wise with loads of oomph. I have an original bantum that I run with a battery pack it is very enjoyable to listen to. It has a great 3d presentation and warmth that maybe isnt very accurate or exacting but just seems to do female vocals like ella or aretha exceptionally well.

jandl100
12-08-2012, 06:54
Yes, it was the 'added warmth' that made the TA2022 t-amps feel less interesting to me than the Mini-T - it kind of slowed things up a bit.

Clive
12-08-2012, 09:18
I'm formulating some thoughts on T-amps and I'll include the Bantam Gold as it's very similar, it just has a newer chip inside it and different tweaks.

With hi-efficiency speakers like mine and John's we are only using a watt or two at the most. This is where T-amps deliver their lowest distortion. When run into more typical speakers of say 87db efficiency there will be a lot more distortion present, I have no idea what this distortion sounds like but it will change the sound.

Using my 100db efficiency speakers I find the Mini-T too clinical, it's lean and makes all music (including Leonard Cohen) energetic and fast. Great with rock but I found my jazz albums simply didn't get played. The Argen is a lot better, far more musical with less focus on leading edges, it's spitty though. The Bantam Gold has the best all round balance.

I find all 3 above to be tonally thin sounding to differing degrees. John I think is ok with the Bantam as his speakers are a little richer sounding than mine.

A possibly theory....
It could be that on less efficient speakers the Bantam might sound dull as it's struggling to deliver clean music. The Mini-T with it's very clinical presentation will have the same issue but I wonder if it's clinical nature helps here.

There's no question these amps are amazing. It's only when I compare them to really good amps that I find them lacking. I feel they focus on analysis more whereas some of the far more expensive amps I prefer tend focus more on musical flow and greater more tonal richness.

John
12-08-2012, 09:36
I guess that where speaker synergy helps
I get a real sense of musical flow with the Hawthornes and just very good no matter what the genre is
I do think the Bastanis drivers are natually more detailed than mine, mine tends to concentrate on the whole energy so perhaps a better match for the Bantams.
I had one of my friends around yesterday and he was just blown away . He knows my system pretty well and we both agreed the sound is very realistic.
Considering some of the amps I had in my system I think its performance is outstanding

Clive
12-08-2012, 09:43
I guess that where speaker synergy helps
I get a real sense of musical flow with the Hawthornes and just very good no matter what the genre is
I do think the Bastanis drivers are natually more detailed than mine, mine tends to concentrate on the whole energy so perhaps a better match for the Bantams.
I had one of my friends around yesterday and he was just blown away . He knows my system pretty well and we both agreed the sound is very realistic.
Considering some of the amps I had in my system I think its performance is outstanding
I totally agree John. The Bantams were in a my system for quite a long time. They are close to being a good match with my speakers. Having heard Hawthorns I can understand how they'll match your system better.

The less positive comments I sometimes see about Bantams being too dull...I'm wondering whether this is synergy too, where normal efficiency speakers don't suit them but the 2 evils of being clinical and high distortion levels make the Mini-T better on such speakers.

It's taken some very good amps to out-class the Bantams in my system, even my 300B and 45 valve amps didn't cut it!

jandl100
12-08-2012, 09:50
Yes, it's all about speaker / amp synergy.
The Mini-T in particular seems quite fussy about what it likes to be paired with - but get it right, and the performance can put many a far more expensive amp to shame, imho.

It's difficulty of speaker load, not speaker efficiency, that seems to be the crucial factor with the Mini-T, ime.

Clive
12-08-2012, 10:37
My speakers don't really have a crossover, unless you count one capacitor on the tweeter, they're a really easy load so in my case it's maybe tonal synergy but the Mini-T in particular I don't get on with for more than a few minutes whereas the Bantam lasted months. John and myself find the Bantam Gold the best of the amps we've tried but we have hi-ff eff speakers that are easy loads, whereas other some other find them dull, xover load will likely be part of it but then all T-amps would suffer in the same way I expect.

As power goes up I believe I'm correct in saying the frequency of the power supply drops to cope, the worry is that it gets low enough for harmonics to stray into the audio spectrum.

electric beach
12-08-2012, 13:45
To add my personal experience to the mix, make of it what you will:

Driving Sachikos with their 96db single drivers (no crossovers), a pair of Mini-T amps gives the best result I've had, the inclusion of a valve preamp helped the tone, also an S-Booster and I'll shortly complete the possibilities with a linear supply (the SMPS does not help at all). I use sub augmentation but there is always a little inherent "thinness" or lightness to the sound. I've compared to 35w KT88 valve beast and a 2.5w SET amp. While these give better tone, a warmer euphonic colour, they can't touch the T-amp for absolutely silent running, transient speed, rhythmic drive, separation, transparency, high frequency extension, fun factor and run a close 2nd to the SET for musical connection - they make many different genres an enjoyable ride but I agree 100% about needing to chill out a bit.

The Bantam monoblocks should in theory have been a great alternative with a different view but more of the same, however for some reason (obviously not related to load) they threw a blanket over everything and said "goodnight, we're going to bed now". I really don't understand why.

I think it's just frustration in not finding a way to that weight of sound and a perfect amp match that makes me critical in any way of the Mini-T, because if I were to judge the valve amps so harshly they would possibly fail to a greater degree - if I were to use the yardstick of the areas that the T-amp sets new standards and I really ought to consider one of the same value. That will be a Bantam Snagle then :eyebrows:

John
12-08-2012, 14:50
Be interesting to hear how my amp sounds in your system Steve I am really looking forward to hearing the results

aquapiranha
12-08-2012, 16:35
I might have to get an amptastic after I have built the FH3's to see if I like it. I have an original Bantam atm, and I loved the Trends TA10.1 I used to have (I would love another).

Steve

wee tee cee
12-08-2012, 17:56
Just got my quad 63s home and warmed up, they produce the best noise so far that I have heard in my room with the mini T.I will experiment with the other T amps in my stable and report back.

hoopsontoast
12-08-2012, 19:19
Yup, I will be getting a T-Amp soon to try with a dedicated pre.
It went really well with the SCM10 and Kolts (Both easy loads but 80dB).

jandl100
12-08-2012, 19:27
Just got my quad 63s home and warmed up, they produce the best noise so far that I have heard in my room with the mini T.

:eek:

Bloody hell - I wouldn't have thought the wee beastie would have a chance with those! .... it just goes to show. I'm not sure what it shows, but it just goes to show! :D

wee tee cee
12-08-2012, 20:00
I'm still in awe..... It is doing rock at neighbour upsetting levels without a problem. I thought these thing were meant to lack bass.....

Clive
12-08-2012, 21:08
I'm still in awe..... It is doing rock at neighbour upsetting levels without a problem. I thought these thing were meant to lack bass.....

Their bass is good or very good, any thinness comes from higher up the freq range. Any criticism I make is against very high standards.

hoopsontoast
12-08-2012, 22:02
Is there likely to be any advantage of using one amp per speaker with One channel of each amp going to the speaker (and One channel doing nothing) So sort of monoblocks but not bridging the outputs.

electric beach
12-08-2012, 22:31
Is there likely to be any advantage of using one amp per speaker with One channel of each amp going to the speaker (and One channel doing nothing) So sort of monoblocks but not bridging the outputs.

Definately. I found the channel seperation greatly improved the soundstage and made the top end far less grainy. It refined the sound a lot I thought and I wouldn't go back to one.

electric beach
12-08-2012, 22:36
I might have to get an amptastic after I have built the FH3's to see if I like it. I have an original Bantam atm, and I loved the Trends TA10.1 I used to have (I would love another).

Steve

Steve, the Mini-T is borderline with these drivers. It's brilliant for simple material but collapses when the going gets more complex. Needs a few more watts...

aquapiranha
12-08-2012, 23:26
Steve, the Mini-T is borderline with these drivers. It's brilliant for simple material but collapses when the going gets more complex. Needs a few more watts...

OK Steve. The search continues.....

Clive
13-08-2012, 10:23
To add my personal experience to the mix, make of it what you will:

Driving Sachikos with their 96db single drivers (no crossovers), a pair of Mini-T amps gives the best result I've had, the inclusion of a valve preamp helped the tone, also an S-Booster and I'll shortly complete the possibilities with a linear supply (the SMPS does not help at all). I use sub augmentation but there is always a little inherent "thinness" or lightness to the sound. I've compared to 35w KT88 valve beast and a 2.5w SET amp. While these give better tone, a warmer euphonic colour, they can't touch the T-amp for absolutely silent running, transient speed, rhythmic drive, separation, transparency, high frequency extension, fun factor and run a close 2nd to the SET for musical connection - they make many different genres an enjoyable ride but I agree 100% about needing to chill out a bit.

The Bantam monoblocks should in theory have been a great alternative with a different view but more of the same, however for some reason (obviously not related to load) they threw a blanket over everything and said "goodnight, we're going to bed now". I really don't understand why.

I think it's just frustration in not finding a way to that weight of sound and a perfect amp match that makes me critical in any way of the Mini-T, because if I were to judge the valve amps so harshly they would possibly fail to a greater degree - if I were to use the yardstick of the areas that the T-amp sets new standards and I really ought to consider one of the same value. That will be a Bantam Snagle then :eyebrows:
Our views are really quite closely aligned even though I find the Bantam Golds preferable in my system. I too found the T-amps to better my valve amps. I know we could talk about synergy - this is a word than can be used to paper over cracks....in this case I think what's happening with the Mini-T in my system is that coupled with a very high transparency pre (a TVC in this case) the Mini-T takes all that resolution and uses it all, it just becomes too much. If I couple the Mini-T with my DHT preamp the sound is better but what I've done is to effectively slug the performance of the system. This is rather like saying a front wheel drive turbo car has torque-steer so the solution is remove the turbo. The valve buffers some use to tailor T-amp sound are a decent solution though I can't help feeling it's a bit of a tone control. I'd rather go the less is more route with minimum modules in the signal path.

Some searching brought me to a 10W solidstate single-end class A amp from Valvet. Sure it's 10 to 20 time the price of a T-amp but it works better for me. When pricing T-amps we also may want to take into account the cost of an improved supply (Ordo linear in my case) and maybe a valve buffer - possibly one amp and power supply per channel too. The £900 for the Valvet monoblocks may end up "only" being 2 or 3 times the price of a full T-amp setup.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e359/cmeakins/ValvetinsideII003.jpg

synsei
13-08-2012, 10:37
It is interesting to read of other owners experiences with this amp. I have read that some find its output a little on the thin side, I'm not hearing this at all in my setup. Maybe 'synergy' has been used to paper over cracks on some occasions however I really do think there is some synergy going on in my system. The Classe DR5, Amptastic 'T' and B&W DM2's work exceptionally well as a unit and if there is any fault at all it is that this combination is exceptionally revealing of poor quality recordings.

Clive
13-08-2012, 10:50
It is interesting to read of other owners experiences with this amp. I have read that some find its output a little on the thin side, I'm not hearing this at all in my setup. Maybe 'synergy' has been used to paper over cracks on some occasions however I really do think there is some synergy going on in my system. The Classe DR5, Amptastic 'T' and B&W DM2's work exceptionally well as a unit and if there is any fault at all it is that this combination is exceptionally revealing of poor quality recordings.
I sense we're very close to agreement, what differs is the degree to which we find T-amps problematic. You say you find yours too revealing of poor recordings. If I put my concerns another way it is that too many recordings are brutally portrayed. Maybe you find this is case with 5%? Probably for me it's more like 40%. Some of this for me is tonal but it's also over-egged leading edges of notes (which isn't too hard to live with) but worst of all for me is unnatural sibilance. What I mean by unnatural sibilance is that T-amps seem to spread sibilance right across the soundstage whereas some other amps localise sibilance to the vocalist, this makes it far more natural and realistic. I try to ensure that even poor recordings are playable, providing the music shines through without glaring distractions this should be possible.

jandl100
13-08-2012, 10:55
... but worst of all for me is unnatural sibilance. What I mean by unnatural sibilance is that T-amps seem to spread sibilance right across the soundstage whereas some other amps localise sibilance to the vocalist ...

Sorry to interrupt, guys, but I don't hear any of that with my Mini-T.

Synergy appears to be a bit of a dirty word here, but I really do think it applies in spades! :)

hoopsontoast
13-08-2012, 10:56
I find the Lehmann Stamp interesting, aparently based on the TA2020 but with a massive power supply.
http://www.hifigear.co.uk/lehmann-audio-black-cube-stamp-power-amp.html

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/stamp-linear_e.html

http://www.tnt-audio.com/jpg/stamp.jpg

Expensive @ ~£650 for a TA2020 based amp

Clive
13-08-2012, 11:11
Sorry to interrupt, guys, but I don't hear any of that with my Mini-T.

Synergy appears to be a bit of a dirty word here, but I really do think it applies in spades! :)
All I'm trying to say about synergy is that we can use it to say what does and does not work together but there's a level deeper we can go to understand what the cause of the incompatibility is.

Jerry, you love trying lots of different kit, I do too, that's partly why I write reviews. One of my drivers it to understand something about why various components work well or badly together. I find this helps me to filter out kit that I can be close to certain I won't want to try - I can never be 100% certain though.

Can you say whether you find a Mini-T unforgiving or were you just referring to my silbilance comment?

Also, what amps do you prefer to the Mini-T and why? Speaker power requirements are probably one factor!

Which TVC is inside your NOH? TX-102 mk I, II, or II I expect are candidates.

I feel I need to re-state that my criticisms are relative to very standards and should be taken in this context. Clearly the Mini-T is very good and in value for money terms it's incredible. It's just not my ultimate amp - that should not be surprise.

synsei
13-08-2012, 11:59
In the time I've owned the Mini T I've not experienced issues with sibilance Clive unless it is apparent on the recording of course. Detail levels are exemplary without being analytical which is just how I like it. What I find really staggering for such a low powered amp is the bass extension that is available, and it is ballsy too. The Mini T gets my foot tapping in a way the Hafler often failed to do. In general the 'T' delivers such a large and open soundstage with an incredible sense of space between the instruments that one really feels immersed in a performance. I've not listened to the 'T' without the DR5 as yet so my experiences are confined within this context of course ;)

Clive
13-08-2012, 12:12
In the time I've owned the Mini T I've not experienced issues with sibilance Clive unless it is apparent on the recording of course. Detail levels are exemplary without being analytical which is just how I like it. What I find really staggering for such a low powered amp is the bass extension that is available, and it is ballsy too. The Mini T gets my foot tapping in a way the Hafler often failed to do. In general the 'T' delivers such a large and open soundstage with an incredible sense of space between the instruments that one really feels immersed in a performance. I've not listened to the 'T' without the DR5 as yet so my experiences are confined within this context of course ;)
So in what way then is the amp too revealing of poor recordings? Poor recordings exist...plenty of them too but a system should be about to still cope with them. What aspects of poor recording make you potentially not play them? Harshness, poor soundstage, muffled?

BTW, I freely admit I'm very sensitive to unnatural sibilance, I only know one person more picky than I.

jandl100
13-08-2012, 12:16
Can you say whether you find a Mini-T unforgiving or were you just referring to my silbilance comment?

Also, what amps do you prefer to the Mini-T and why? Speaker power requirements are probably one factor!

Which TVC is inside your NOH? TX-102 mk I, II, or II I expect are candidates.

I feel I need to re-state that my criticisms are relative to very standards and should be taken in this context. Clearly the Mini-T is very good and in value for money terms it's incredible. It's just not my ultimate amp - that should not be surprise.

No, the Mini-T is not my "ultimate amp" either. But then I don't believe in ultimate amps. There is always something better or interestingly different. I think the search for the ultimate in anything is futile, there ain't no such animal! Even the very best amps I have heard don't excel in all ways, there is always a balance of virtues and vices, or there are particular ways in which they excel or fall short.

No, I don't find the Mini-T unforgiving at all. I've got quite revealing speakers, and the presentation with the Mini-T is one of the most enjoyable I have heard. Sure, I prefer my Parasound A21 power amp - that has all the attributes of the Mini-T taken even further, and with much more power and authority into my moderate efficiency speakers.
I can well imagine that others would find my preferred presentation too analytical, but it's the kind of middle/front stalls seat that I prefer. Some folks prefer to sit further back in the hall/stadium/arena, and that's not right or wrong, it's just a personal preference. For those folk who like to sit a bit further back perhaps the Mini-T is not the right choice as it may be too explicit for them.

synsei
13-08-2012, 12:28
I suppose the best example I can give is that the system is very revealing of low bitrate MP3 files. They sound, for want of a better word, 'grainy'. My partner has an original pressing of Bat Out Of Hell in VG+ condition (an album I've always had problems with because it is such a terrible production. I love the songs though) and it sounds awful on the system as it currently stands. It is a harsh and almost unintelligibly mess. To be fair though, I have never liked the way it sounds on any system I've owned.

On the flip side Peter Gabriel's 'US', which came over as dull and uninvolving on previous systems has sprung into life on my current setup.

RichB
13-08-2012, 12:31
Well I ordered the Mini T as part of the group buy and have tried it in a number of different combinations with results that range from amazing to unlistenable.

I first used it as a power amp with my RS3s and an Arcam Solo Neo as pre/source... non too shabby, lots of transparency, but ultimately lacking a bit welly. This became evident when we hooked up a modded 1210 and phono stage and going back to the arcam's own amp just kicked a lot harder.

I've tried it with a pair of Mission 760se on the end of a cheap USB dac and my PC as a source. Result fantastic. This set up was party central, it just wanted to be fed loud dance music and kicked along with some amazing bass and heaps of detail. This was the best I've heard my little old missions sound since i bought them 20 year ago.

Then I acquired an old pair of Celestion Ditton 15s and thought I'd give them a go in my main room with a standac 7520 as pre and laptop/tivo/dvd player as sources. I was expecting to be blown away but I was so disappointed. The sound was thin, harsh and unforgiving. One could quickly tire of that so I put the Dittons back in the spare room and put them on the end of the old A400 and the cheap usb dac... they sounded fab, clearly the Mini-T was the weakest link here as the standac never failed to perform well with anything else i used.

I've recently been using the Mini T in the spare room with the dittons again and they sounded much better, perhaps some burn in or differences in the room account for this difference.

For my money, try the Mini T with an old pair of missions or kefs and prepare to be blown away. Needless to say my rega brio-r knocks it into a cocked hat, detail, power, bass and fun to listen to but its not a fair comparison as its a whole other price point and I'm using it with rega dac, speakers, and cable for that famous rega synergy.

synsei
13-08-2012, 12:38
One thing that comes across from reading this thread is that one needs to be careful choosing speakers to hang off the back of a Mini T. Thankfully my DM2's work extremely well in this regard :)

Clive
13-08-2012, 12:39
No, the Mini-T is not my "ultimate amp" either. But then I don't believe in ultimate amps.
I should chose my words more carefully. For me an "ultimate" amp is one I believe I can live with for years without needing to swap it out. So not THE ultimate but AN ultimately fulfilling performer...but I don't mean the perfect amp, which of course does not exist.

DSJR
13-08-2012, 12:51
Hi Cive, I stil have to borrow Alex's Mini-T (it began to chuck it down when we last parted company and I forgot to extract the thing from his car-boot), but I have plans to try it in the office system driven by the Croft preamp and into the LS5/9's at whisper quiet levels - not the "First Watt" here, but the "First Milli-Watt" :lol: Bearing in mind the power supply, I'm sure an easier load would be fine, but into the bigger Harbeths it did tend to sound a bit too "cheap solid state" to me, a bit like how I'd imagine one of the race tuned cheapie Rotels of old to sound (820BX or similar), or even a WTF classic of old like a PM66SE. I readily stand to be corrected though :)

jandl100
13-08-2012, 13:17
I should chose my words more carefully. For me an "ultimate" amp is one I believe I can live with for yours without needing to swap it out. So not THE ultimate but AN ultimately fulfilling performer...but I don't mean the perfect amp, which of course does not exist.

Yep, fair enough. :)

OK - in that case, yes, a Mini-T is perfectly livable with for me so would fall under your definition of ultimate amp. In fact, when I first 'discovered' it, I stayed with a Mini-T with my MBLs for a couple of months before moving on, and really enjoyed the combo. There are very few amps that you can say that about with a boxswapper like me! :eyebrows:

In fact, I went back to it the other day (before this thread started) and I still enjoyed it very much. It's one of those amps that "just sound right" to me with the MBLs.

I currently have a pair of Eminent Technology LFT-16 ribbon hybrids (the new ones with metal cone bass driver) here for review - they sound damn fine with the Mini-T as well. But the previous version with plastic cone bass driver sounded truly awful - shrieky to the point of being very unpleasant; the Mini-T was clearly clueless how to drive them.

Synergy!! :D

guyhayton
13-08-2012, 13:38
I have been watching this thread and I am interested to try and understand how I could determine whether my speakers are efficient enough for said amplifier.

You hear such good things for this £60 amp - part of me considers taking a punt to see whether it will be a considerable step up from my existing amplifier. Or whether to keep the £60 as a saving towards a better one in 18months time (I'm not flush by any standard having just become separated from SWMBO)

As I cannot actually go and visit a store, I was wondering whether more educated people can guide me towards a better understanding of my Dali Zensor 1 bookshelf speakers re: their suitability for a mini-T

Thanks in advance
G

John
13-08-2012, 13:47
I think buy and see
I sold my amp quickly on AOS without losing to much money on it

jandl100
13-08-2012, 14:20
I have been watching this thread and I am interested to try and understand how I could determine whether my speakers are efficient enough for said amplifier.

It's not so much efficiency that seems to dictate whether the Mini-T will strut its stuff - it's more ease of drive (i.e. smooth impedance curve, lack of reactance) - Rob (hoops) has used a Mini-T with his 80dB/W/m speakers and very much enjoyed the combo.

Looking at the Stereophile review, measurements section, http://www.stereophile.com/content/dali-zensor-1-loudspeaker-measurements the speakers have a fastly varying impedance curve that may mean they are not that easy to drive ...? Moderate sensitivity, though, and they never drop below 5 Ohms -- they might be OK!
-- there's only one way to really find out.
And a refund is available if you are not happy (Distance Selling regulations). Give it a go! :thumbsup:

jandl100
13-08-2012, 14:30
.... I was wondering whether more educated people can guide me towards a better understanding of my Dali Zensor 1 bookshelf speakers re: their suitability for a mini-T

Thanks in advance
G

Btw, great review in Stereophile for your speakers! ...

"In the Zensor 1, DALI has produced an astoundingly realistic loudspeaker for its size and price. The Zensor 1's flaws are minimal, and its strengths compete with bookshelf speakers costing twice as much, or more. I'm astounded at how so minuscule a speaker can create such a big sound over such a broad range of music. This attractive little baby sets a new benchmark in its class that will be tough to beat. Well done! "

electric beach
13-08-2012, 14:31
Yup, just buy one and try it Guy. You will have gathered that your chances are better than 50/50, the critical comments we are making are not related to bookshelf speaker performance. If you don't get on with it, Chris will take it back, that's the difference with a good internet trader like him.

Really there are too many factors to judge or advise, even the sensitivity doesn't tell the compatibility tale. How loud? What room size? What sort of presentation do you like? What kind of music do you want to play? Which amp do you have now? What don't you like about it? :lol:

If you do get a pairing that you like, my personal advice is to add an S-Booster at £30 immediately.

hoopsontoast
13-08-2012, 14:33
It's not so much efficiency that seems to dictate whether the Mini-T will strut its stuff - it's more ease of drive (i.e. smooth impedance curve, lack of reactance) - Rob (hoops) has used a Mini-T with his 80dB/W/m speakers and very much enjoyed the combo.

Looking at the Stereophile review, measurements section, http://www.stereophile.com/content/dali-zensor-1-loudspeaker-measurements the speakers have a fastly varying impedance curve that may mean they are not that easy to drive ...? Moderate sensitivity, though, and they never drop below 5 Ohms -- they might be OK!
-- there's only one way to really find out.
And a refund is available if you are not happy (Distance Selling regulations). Give it a go! :thumbsup:

Yup, its more easy to drive than efficiency, as long as you dont need headbanging levels. :)
I used it with both the ATC SCM10 and Keesonic Kolt, both 80dB/1m/1w but both 8Ohm speakers and easy to drive in terms of impedance dips.

synsei
13-08-2012, 14:36
It's got to be worth a punt at the price Guy and as Jerry says, if you are not happy with the results then you can take advantage of the distance selling regs. It's a win/win situation matey ;)

guyhayton
13-08-2012, 14:47
Btw, great review in Stereophile for your speakers! ...

"In the Zensor 1, DALI has produced an astoundingly realistic loudspeaker for its size and price. The Zensor 1's flaws are minimal, and its strengths compete with bookshelf speakers costing twice as much, or more. I'm astounded at how so minuscule a speaker can create such a big sound over such a broad range of music. This attractive little baby sets a new benchmark in its class that will be tough to beat. Well done! "

Yeah... I really like them and think they punch above their relative cost. They also look good on the stands which is nice as well.
Hadn't seen this review, but just read it now - supports my decision to buy

Wilbur
13-08-2012, 15:04

Glad to hear theyre doing the business!!
Gave my Kefs a work-out yesterday after you left,miss the quads though...

guyhayton
13-08-2012, 15:06
Looks like I will be buying one these then ;)

Don't suppose anyone have got a second-hand one they want to sell???

synsei
13-08-2012, 15:25
You'd have to prise mine from my cold, dead fingers... :lol:

chelsea
13-08-2012, 15:33
Anyone tried one with AN or snell speakers yet?

DaveK
13-08-2012, 15:35
Looks like I will be buying one these then ;)

Don't suppose anyone have got a second-hand one they want to sell???

Second-hand??? - why buy second-hand when they are so reasonably priced new?? See here: -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290622735502;jsessionid=6AA14CB9BDC0BCAB376026F21C 378113?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.ht ml%3F_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D290622735502%26_rdc%3D1

I've got two of these, bi-amped,and have just ordered another to tri-amp. I am very with them, hence the new order. And Peter Cheung, the designer and manufacturer, is a great guy to deal with.
Dave.

chelsea
13-08-2012, 15:49
Input looks strange?

DaveK
13-08-2012, 15:56
Input looks strange?

Not sure I agree with you :) - what's strange about a 3.5mm stereo jack?
Dave.

wee tee cee
13-08-2012, 17:10
Glad to hear theyre doing the business!!
Gave my Kefs a work-out yesterday after you left,miss the quads though...Paul,
I'm over the moon with the 63s, The mini T seems to work really well with them.I cant seem to wrong foot the combo...My son was flabergasted at the sound stage....AC/DC has soundstage FFS.....
Thanks again.

guyhayton
13-08-2012, 18:09
If you do get a pairing that you like, my personal advice is to add an S-Booster at £30 immediately.

I honestly thought S-Boosters were for Squeeze Touches ?

Do you advise an S-Booster for the amp or for my Caiman?

Oops... slightly :offtopic:

jandl100
13-08-2012, 18:17
Second-hand??? - why buy second-hand when they are so reasonably priced new?? See here: -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290622735502;jsessionid=6AA14CB9BDC0BCAB376026F21C 378113?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.ht ml%3F_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D290622735502%26_rdc%3D1

I've got two of these, bi-amped,and have just ordered another to tri-amp. I am very with them, hence the new order. And Peter Cheung, the designer and manufacturer, is a great guy to deal with.
Dave.

That's not a Mini-T, Dave.
The Mini-T has improved components - I've tried a 'standard' TA2020 t-amp and it ain't as good as a Mini-T from chris at Amptastic! :nono:

Get the real-deal, it's worth it! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-T-T-Amp-HiFi-Audio-Amplifier-5A-PSU-TA2020-IN-UK-/170878831929?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Amplifiers&hash=item27c92c0d39
And I am sure Chris will give you the 5A PSU for the price of the 2A version if you say you've come from AOS! ;)

aquapiranha
13-08-2012, 18:24
Paul,
I'm over the moon with the 63s, The mini T seems to work really well with them.I cant seem to wrong foot the combo...My son was flabergasted at the sound stage....AC/DC has soundstage FFS.....
Thanks again.

63's are stunning. I love them and would have some in a heartbeat if I had the space and money.

jandl100
13-08-2012, 18:27
It's fascinating to hear that the Mini-T can drive Quad 63s! I'd love to hear that - I bet it opens up the sound very nicely. :)

DaveK
13-08-2012, 19:04
That's not a Mini-T, Dave.
The Mini-T has improved components - I've tried a 'standard' TA2020 t-amp and it ain't as good as a Mini-T from chris at Amptastic! :nono:

Hi Jerry,
Not wanting a sparring match here, OK? - just wanting to learn :) .
Why isn't it a Mini-T?
Have you had the lids of both varieties to confirm your statement?
I've been running with two of these (previous design) from the same guy bi-amped and I'm happy enough with them to retire a Cyrus pre-amp and power amp to the loft and am about to put them on eBay. If the 'proper' Mini-Ts are better than these then they're bloody good :) but they're more than twice as expensive so perhaps they should be. From my lofty position of ignorance and experience of only one type I rather doubt that sort of difference :ner:
I also think there's a common acceptance that synergy plays a big part in the resultant SQ and I think I've got that in spades :lol: .
Cheers,
Dave.

John
13-08-2012, 19:20
How people will choose to implement the chip will very
I remember Jerry got the Muse and saying he did not enjoy it as much as the Mini T
I heard a few versions of the 2020 chip each had their own sound so the Arjen board has a lot more treble detail but can sound a bit extreme

synsei
13-08-2012, 19:24
Has anyone hung a pair of Colin's Edendale speakers off the back of a Mini T as yet? I suspect the combo would sound rather good... :)

wee tee cee
13-08-2012, 20:59
It's fascinating to hear that the Mini-T can drive Quad 63s! I'd love to hear that - I bet it opens up the sound very nicely. :)
Jerry,
I tried the temple mono blocks and bantum....the mini T sounds far more open and clean.....by far and away the nicest noise I have heard in my room.
Tony

DSJR
13-08-2012, 22:41
63's are stunning. I love them and would have some in a heartbeat if I had the space and money.

63's may be getting old with failing adhesives now. They can be fixed of course, but it's sad that the original panels don't last like the 57's can.

A good pair of 63's properly sited, raised off the floor and angled back a tad can sound truly awsome on the right music, but get 'em wrong, as I remember Quad themselves doing at a show launch, and they're totally horrible - thick bass, ploddy mids and dull as ditchwater!

jandl100
14-08-2012, 06:20
Jerry,
I tried the temple mono blocks and bantum....the mini T sounds far more open and clean.....by far and away the nicest noise I have heard in my room.
Tony

Yep, I'm not surprised at the comparison.
I'm sure the Temple and Bantum can sound good (to me!) in a system that is already quite lively - but the Quad 63 (imo!) have a tendency to roll-off and to plod (although they have other outstanding merits such as rez, staging and natural midrange tonality), so a good squirt of the lively and wide-open-prairie sound of the Mini-T up the jacksie would do them a world of good, I feel sure! :eyebrows: Mmmm - I really would like to hear that!

I think that, back in the day, the best sound at a reasonable price to be had out of Quad 63 was with an Audiolab 8000P power amp. That gave 'em a similar boost and (unlike the Quad amps of the day) could really get a grip, although I feel sure that today's Mini-T has a lot better and more sophisticated all-round sound.

jandl100
14-08-2012, 06:27
Hi Jerry,
Not wanting a sparring match here, OK? - just wanting to learn :) .
Why isn't it a Mini-T?

A Mini-T is the tweaked product of Chris at Amptastic in the UK.
As John said, I have heard a Muse TA2020 amp (which comes straight out of China without any fettling, probably just like yours) and whilst it has the fast, lively, open characteristics of that wonderful TA2020 chip, it also has a bit of grain and coarseness, and the soundstage is a bit flat.
I tried the Muse in an attempt to "get a bargain". And whilst it is fantastic vfm, it just isn't as good sounding as a Mini-T.
The Mini-T is worth the extra £30 or so IMO, and you get the excellent backup of a UK supplier. :)

All the above ime & imo, of course!

Bluedroog
14-08-2012, 09:08
I have a Mini-T and really like it, all the positives mentioned hold true for me. That said I find it a little fatiguing over longer listening sessions. Don’t get me wrong, it does sound wonderful for the money and the positives outweigh the negatives with ease but has anyone else found this?

electric beach
14-08-2012, 10:06
I have a Mini-T and really like it, all the positives mentioned hold true for me. That said I find it a little fatiguing over longer listening sessions. Don’t get me wrong, it does sound wonderful for the money and the positives outweigh the negatives with ease but has anyone else found this?

Add the S-Booster from Mark Grant - sorted. I've checked with Mark, the Beresford Bushmaster version has the correct size connector.

If you do try this would you post your impression please.

Clive
14-08-2012, 10:13
Or hunt for a UK supplier of one of these, I got mine for £50 + postage:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORDO-90-120w-Linear-Power-supply-HI-END-POWER-/120749249027

The voltage can be increased to about 14.5V.

I found this PS was a massive improvement over several switchers and lead acid battery.

I've not tried an SBooster so I can't make a comparison with it.

Wilbur
14-08-2012, 12:17

You could have come across a legendary combination here Tony!

John
14-08-2012, 17:03
Or hunt for a UK supplier of one of these, I got mine for £50 + postage:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORDO-90-120w-Linear-Power-supply-HI-END-POWER-/120749249027

The voltage can be increased to about 14.5V.

I found this PS was a massive improvement over several switchers and lead acid battery.

I've not tried an SBooster so I can't make a comparison with it.

A friend has this and it plays around the same ball park of some of the more expensive linear power supplies

istari_knight
14-08-2012, 21:30
A Mini-T is the tweaked product of Chris at Amptastic in the UK.
As John said, I have heard a Muse TA2020 amp (which comes straight out of China without any fettling, probably just like yours) and whilst it has the fast, lively, open characteristics of that wonderful TA2020 chip, it also has a bit of grain and coarseness, and the soundstage is a bit flat.
I tried the Muse in an attempt to "get a bargain". And whilst it is fantastic vfm, it just isn't as good sounding as a Mini-T.
The Mini-T is worth the extra £30 or so IMO, and you get the excellent backup of a UK supplier. :)

All the above ime & imo, of course!

I think the mk.1 was just a rebadged S.M.S.L but the mk.2 has been tweaked.

I opened my mk.1 & there was no difference in compenents/layout to the cheaper S.M.S.L but as you say £30 extra for the backup of a UK supplier is not too shabby.

synsei
03-09-2012, 07:30
As you all know I drive my Mini-T with a Classe DR5 and at present I have the volume control on the 'T' set just past the 3 o'clock position. My logic for doing so is that I don't want to risk overdriving the Mini-T. Am I correct in my assumption or should I throw caution to the wind and wind the volume up to 'Max'?

The Grand Wazoo
03-09-2012, 07:31
Yes!

synsei
03-09-2012, 07:33
Is that a 'yes' to err on the side of caution or a 'yes' to go hell for leather, Chris? :)

jandl100
03-09-2012, 07:39
Max is fine - it's what the power the amp is being asked to deliver that's the important thing. You are merely changing the "gain structure" of the system by putting the Mini-T up to max and lowering the volume on the DR5. If the volume level is the same coming out of the speaker, then the amp is being asked to deliver the same power.

Or is the aim to get the system to go louder?
In which case, IME the Mini-T overloads gracefully, and just gets soft in the bass.

The Grand Wazoo
03-09-2012, 07:40
Yes, turn it up.
I was doing exactly that last weekend. My ARC preamp came back from having some work done on it.
For the last few months, I've been using the amp from my second system as a pre & I bought a Mini-T to stand in for that amp in the office. When I reassembled the office system, the Mini-T became redundant, so I stuck it in the big system behind the pre-amp to try to find out what it was capable of. I used it turned all the way up & it was fine - and my pre has an unfeasibly high output, so don't worry.
When all is said & done, it's only a power amp with a volume knob on it. Take that away & it will get the full bifta from your pre-amp, just like any other power amp.

synsei
03-09-2012, 07:55
Or is the aim to get the system to go louder?
In which case, IME the Mini-T overloads gracefully, and just gets soft in the bass.

Believe me Jerry volume levels aren't a problem even at the 3 o'clock position, I was simply questioning whether I am being a little over-cautious, and it would appear that I am ;)

Thanks for your input chaps... :D

EDIT: Oh, have I mentioned before that I really like this amp??? :lol:

Canetoad
03-09-2012, 12:01
I don't know why they don't offer the Mini-T without a volume control to be used as a power amp. Seems to be some demand for it.

Alternatively you could just take the volume pot out of circuit, which is effectively the same as having it set to 100%.

The Grand Wazoo
03-09-2012, 16:54
I suppose one thing to consider might be that of the quality of the two pots in question. If the preamp pot is of lower quality than the one on the Mini-T, you might possibly get a better result from turning that all the way up.
Somehow, I doubt that to be the case with your pre though!

synsei
03-09-2012, 17:07
The one on the DR5 is a stepped pot and is very high quality, as you suggest Chris (I've never been tempted to take a look inside so can give no more detail than that) :)

RichB
04-09-2012, 10:32
I tried the mini t as a power amp fed by the pre-outs on my Arcam solo neo. It was a nice detailed combination but when i turned the mini-t all the way up i could hear a very soft 'click click click' type sound. This didn't occur when the volume knob was set to the 3 o clock position. I disconnected the Arcam pre to check it wasnt the cause and it still happened. Perhaps it is just the combination of amp and speakers and this didnt happen for others. Anyway since i changed the main system the mini-t now does sterling work driving my ditton 15's in the study, i rarely push the volume past half way.

DSJR
09-09-2012, 19:20
Well, Alex's offer of a loan of his sample took place this weekend and I duly connected it up in the second system into Rogers LS5/9's and fed via the Croft and directly from the source (ton-up and twin supply Digit opto)...

When I heard this sample of Amptastic Mini-T (5A supply) into various Harbeths, the lean bass and apparently "flattened" treble wasn't hugely nice, but at home and at the low levels I play this system at, it's all but come into its own :) (the LS5/9's are supposed to have a kind load to the driving amp). There IS deep bass as long as you don't need it to be deafening, the midrange can sound amazingly transparent, being either three dimensional or flat as a pancake depending on what's fed it. Treble comes and goes according to source fed it too and, although I can't find it now, there's an interesting thread on DIY forum about the way it measures, this bringing up something possibly... Turning it up makes the sound go a bit rough and ragged I feel, so bearing in mind the universal comments about efficient speakers needing to be used.

By the way, this little thing really shows what my old Croft is doing to signals fed it, albeit slight. the Series 4PP I have ever-so-slightly softens the dynamics at the moment, adding the merest hint of velvet to the sound. Modern Crofts aren't like this, so when funds allow I can see my Croft preamp will be taking a trip to Glenn Towers at some point for a circuit freshen up ;)

According to the thread (I'll find it and post link), the Amptastic seems to have a lowish input impedance of 22K, which *may* make it fussy of a source connected straight to it. Also, and interesting to digital users, the high frequencies apparently rise above 20kHz to a signal at 96khz. Now, with WELL BEHAVED sources with little to no "hash" at ultra-sonic frequencies, this won't be at all an issue but since SA-CD players have loads going on up to 50khz (noise mainly I understand), the results may be variable possibly.

I'd also like to try the interconnect made by the supplier for the Mini-T. Ferrites at each end and good quality basic plugs at least, the asking price of £23 isn't silly money and should equate to any £100 IC bought from a dealer I think.

So yeah, I rather respect this little marvel, more and more I use it, as long as the speakers are a benign load and highly efficient if a reasonable volume is required.

As per the title of this post - everyone should have one, for standby if not a main amp :)

jandl100
09-09-2012, 21:19
Hey, waddya know - Dave's been converted to the wonders of the Mini-T! :yay:

DSJR
09-09-2012, 21:20
:lol:

Tarzan
10-09-2012, 16:02
Dave, l plugged the Mini-T back into my Harbs last weekend, and the bass was, fat, but super controlled, a most musical combo!:)

theriskdude
14-09-2012, 16:19
I've been watching this thread with interest - i've just added a Mini-T into my system. After a few problems with the first one that turned up a couple of weeks ago (that were sorted out by Chris at Amptastic admirably), it's now in and playing. I'll post some more thoughts when it has bedded in (Chris reckons it needs a week or so), but what I am keen to hear from others is what sort of pre-amps are being used with the Mini-T. That will be my next upgrade so am keen to hear what other people are using ?

Mike

synsei
14-09-2012, 16:29
I'm using a Classe Audio DR5 and it works extremely well with the Mini-T. Good luck in finding one though coz they are as rare as hens teeth... ;)

DSJR
15-09-2012, 00:09
Well, the vintage HH VX300 has arrived in good electrical condition but with a tatty front panel. Even at low volumes, the extra bass control and soliditiy is very much appreciated. Sorry, the Mini-T may do some things extremely well at lowish volumes, but bass isn't one of them - it sounds into "BBC Legacy" speakers like a one note fart, sorry, but real proper amps BREATHE in the bass with a palpable presence and "thereness."

The HH amp in comparison just sounds, well, solid! Maybe it's lacking the ultimate sense of 3-D tangibility, I'm happy to admit this could be the Croft not liking the load presented (I have a feeling the HH is around 15 - 20k in unbalanced mode?), or the interconnect I lashed up (I've ordered some fresh plugs and have some reasonable cable to make up a new set of leads), but it certainly invites long, fatigue free listening sessions, barely getting warm after a few hours. It certainly doesn't sound in the slightest bit harsh or flat toned as many "pro" amps can and the basic build quality and physical mass is very encouraging - they wound their own toroidal transformers I believe and there is absolutely NO hum (why are/were Naims such sh*t in this area with buzzing bee transformers?). The bloody thing also claims to have proper stepped attenuators for overall gain as well...

synsei
15-09-2012, 02:36
Maybe you should pick up a pair of DM2's then Dave coz my Mini-T ain't feeding mine beans and I sure as hell ain't getting no whiff of farty odours (except perhaps from the dog). Bass is tighter than a gnats arse and it goes down DEEEEP!!! :D

jandl100
15-09-2012, 06:44
Yeah, Dave's off again! :lol:

We aren't all deaf and inexperienced with good hifi, Dave, really we aren't!
The Mini-T can give superb bass although that does seem to be dependent on the speaker it drives. ;)

Tarzan
15-09-2012, 10:11

The Mini-T can give superb bass although that does seem to be dependent on the speaker it drives. ;)

l am listening to 'Whats going on' by Marvin Gaye at the mo on the T and the bass is incredible, adding to the enjoyment of the album!:)

DSJR
15-09-2012, 15:25

I'm not going off on one, just stating what "I" hear into the speakers I've tried it with, which as both you and I say, will give differing results with different speakers. Dave W is looking to try the Icon Audio speakers soon, which promise well over 90db sensitivity and a good sound too. THIS is where the Mini-T should easily come into its own here :)

By the way, the bass on DM2's is a bit flabby and not as clear with "normal" amps as say, the KEF 104ab in direct comparison (on plucked double bass especially). I can well see the Mini-T sounding fab with the DM2's as the two characteristics will blend perfectly. Alex has some DM1's coming his way I understand and it'll be wonderful to re-acquaint myself with them with both the Mini-T and Brio R.

Reid Malenfant
15-09-2012, 17:41
Actually Dave, the one possible reason the Mini T gets decent bass out of the DM2s is simply because of the driver loading. As far as I'm aware they are loaded via a type of transmission line, done properly this will result in a near flat impedance in the bass, rather than peaky impedance like a reflex or sealed box would give due to resonances.

So in certain respects it'd be like driving a resistive load, at least in the deep bass, easy ;)

DSJR
15-09-2012, 18:00
Ah! :lol: :respect:

Gazjam
18-09-2012, 10:28
Might get the chance to hook my Amptastic Mini-T up to a set of 105db Japanese Horn speakers soon....

will post findings if I do. :)

Tarzan
18-09-2012, 14:20
Might get the chance to hook my Amptastic Mini-T up to a set of 105db Japanese Horn speakers soon....

:interesting:- look forward to the findings........................

synsei
18-09-2012, 17:05
+1 :D

Beechwoods
18-09-2012, 18:07
How would one of these go with a pair of JR149's? I'm thinking as rear pair to a knock-together Quad setup.

DSJR
18-09-2012, 20:37
The 149's were an easy load as I recall and none of these B110 based speakers go loud enough to really upset the Mini-T, so without trying it and on instinct, I'd say "Go for it!!!!!"

Put it this way, if the Mini-T didn't work out, a PM to me might prove fruitful ;)

electric beach
19-09-2012, 03:06

If it has any of the synergy I get with the Sachikos then I hope you can afford them Gaz! :partytime:

Would be nice to have a pair, a valve pre and an S-Booster in your box tho ...:smoking:

Beechwoods
19-09-2012, 07:20
The 149's were an easy load as I recall and none of these B110 based speakers go loud enough to really upset the Mini-T, so without trying it and on instinct, I'd say "Go for it!!!!!"

Put it this way, if the Mini-T didn't work out, a PM to me might prove fruitful ;)

Thanks Dave, I'll remember that!

wiicrackpot
20-09-2012, 05:56
Gaz ~ do tell what those Jap horns are and have you not listened to them yet, views due. :popcorn:

Steve (electric beach)~ never noticed you on here before, could tell me where's your location (S-ex),
kinda a confusing where you're all 'mouth and sex' down there in that foreign country. :lol:

Gazjam
20-09-2012, 05:59
Over in Sunny Motherwell.
Never noticed you were in Glasgow mate.

No haven't heard them yet with the miniT.
Dont know what kind of horns they were just that at first I thought they were big Tannoys!
Have a supertweeter hooked up as well.
Sounded great with his valve setup. (Apparently the valves came off a Russian Submarine!!)

The guy's not on AOS, was over giving him a hand with his new Squeezebox (and picking up some surplus vinyl for later ;))
If I'm over again (hope so) I'll take the MiniT for a listen as he was curious.
Good guy.

wiicrackpot
20-09-2012, 06:15
Over in Sunny Motherwell.
Never noticed you were in Glasgow mate.

No haven't heard them yet with the miniT.
Dont know what kind of horns they were just that at first I thought they were big Tannoys!
Have a supertweeter hooked up as well.
Sounded great with his valve setup. (Apparently the valves came off a Russian Submarine!!)

The guy's not on AOS, was over giving him a hand with his new Squeezebox (and picking up some surplus vinyl for later ;))
If I'm over again (hope so) I'll take the MiniT for a listen as he was curious.
Good guy.
Errrr...the location part of the Q is for electric beach, :rolleyes:

I know you're from deepest Lanarkshire, you were supposed to buy my speaker stands a while back and and come to pick up then fell off the radar. :D

Sounds like your wee Squeezy trip is gonna be expensive, seriously can you keep me informed about those horns?, i've got an itch i got to scratch. :eyebrows:

electric beach
20-09-2012, 06:58
Steve (electric beach)~ never noticed you on here before, could tell me where's your location (S-ex),
kinda a confusing where you're all 'mouth and sex' down there in that foreign country. :lol:

ESSEX Andy :rolleyes: I'll try to keep what passes for my humour a bit simpler in future. Where's Glasgow? Now if you were into tubes and put Glass-glow I'd probably get it :lol:

Glad to see my 400+ posts have made such an impression on you!

wiicrackpot
20-09-2012, 07:09
ESSEX Andy :rolleyes: I'll try to keep what passes for my humour a bit simpler in future. Where's Glasgow? Now if you were into tubes and put Glass-glow I'd probably get it :lol:

Steve, the only Glass you get here doesn't Glow, it normally lands on your coupon, :lol: must say i'd prefer S...xx.

Yeah...400+ posts and i've never noticed ya...you're L'il ninja you aren't ya. ;)

Gazjam
20-09-2012, 07:17
ESSEX Andy:rolleyes: I'll try to keep what passes for my humour a bit simpler in future. Where's Glasgow? Now if you were into tubes and put Glass-glow I'd probably get it :lol:

Even I understood the joke....if not the original question :D

Sorry 'bout the stands Andy, but had the chance of getting a set free gratis..as a cash strapped fella it was a better option (just being honest) meant to get back to you but forgot. My bad, apologies :doh:
If I get to hear the MiniT mate with the big horns I'll post on here.

wiicrackpot
20-09-2012, 07:21
Even I understood the joke....if not the original question :D

Sorry 'bout the stands Andy, had the chance of getting a set free gratis..meant to get back to you but forgot. :doh:
If I get to hear the MiniT mate with the big horns I'll post on here.
S'ok bud, mine was virtually a give away too but you know you've ended up with 2nd best don't you. :doh:

I'll get back to you in future when the time is right in dipping my toes in digital streaming, been following your digital thread. :cool:

Gazjam
20-09-2012, 07:32
aye..ask away when your sorting the digital out. :)

wee tee cee
20-09-2012, 16:09
Steve, the only Glass you get here doesn't Glow, it normally lands on your coupon, :lol: must say i'd prefer S...xx.

Yeah...400+ posts and i've never noticed ya...you're L'il ninja you aren't ya. ;)six inch smile land....

Gazjam
21-09-2012, 09:13
six inch smile land....

haw you, up eh road...

wiicrackpot
21-09-2012, 09:21
six inch smile land....
Yes, thats about right Tony, Perma Smile land we're in bud.

Tim
28-01-2013, 21:42
Well I just thought I would add something here about my Amptastic Mini-T.

Up to now it has been (seldom) used in the kitchen driving a pair of Celestion 5 speakers, which were on top of the kitchen cabinets. I used to hook up my little Sansa Clip mp3 player, which gave good results for the kitchen and I was happy enough. I did try the Mini-T with my Harbeth speakers but it didn't really have enough guts to make them sound anything like the speakers they are.

Anyway, last week I decided to move the system out of the kitchen and set it up at my computer desk in the study/dining room as my new PC is now totally silent, previously I had always listened via headphones at my desk, as I hated hearing the sound of fans running or hard drives clicking away. So now I have JRiver playing my FLAC files from my new (silent) computer to an HRT Music Streamer II+ DAC, the Mini-T amp and Celestion speakers sat on IXOS Deadrock stands . . . what a difference :eek: I can now see how good this amp is when matched with components it likes. Its superb for near field listening and I find myself sat at my desk a lot longer than I used to. I'm rather surprised at how good this little system sounds TBH and I picked the speakers up for only 16 quid on eBay!

A very happy bunny at Tim towers :)

Sovereign
02-02-2013, 16:32
Well I have a Muse T amp it was about £50 or so on Ebay, it is driving a pair of OB speakers and it sounds superb, very fast, very open and communicative. My previous NVA A80 monoblocs are broken so I'm not able to compare, but I'm very happy.
Looking forward to the comparison when my monoblocs are fixed though.

RichB
02-02-2013, 20:33
I sold mine just today to another member here who came round for a cuppa, canny lad btw, so to demo it I hooked it up to my rega DAC and RS3s streaming radio from my laptop, I also used one of my fancy mains cables on it... wow, I nearly didn't want to give it to the lad it sounded so good (not as meaty as the brio-r though). Suffice to say the chap took it off my hands without hesitation...

Perhaps when the MKII comes along I'll dabble with one of those but yes the mini-t still rocks and Dave couldnt believe it sounded so good (and loud).

I notice Amptastic have had some issues with the stock mains cable it came with, I chucked mine away when I first saw it, replacing it with a serious cable really helps it along.