PDA

View Full Version : That Bushmaster Earth Terminal

MartinT
07-08-2012, 20:54
I was sorting out my phono earthing arrangements earlier, and marvelling yet again at what a difference to sound quality it can make, when I suddenly thought about that slightly mysterious ground post on the back of the Bushmaster. Stan doesn't do anything for no reason, so he must have thought that his DAC coiuld benefit from an external earth connection.

So I tried hooking up a bit of green wire from mains earth to that post and have been listening to it this evening - mostly the Olympic broadcasts from my Sky HD box, I have to say. I can't be sure, but I detect a small improvement in detail and presentation similar to, but less pronounced than, getting the phono earthing right.

Has anyone else tried using that ground terminal and what did you hear?

Stan - do you want to comment on why you implemented an earth post?

Peter Galbavy
08-08-2012, 15:34
(Back from being away...)

On my Caiman I had to hack in an earth tie to my system as without it my Class D Rotel made strange noises. From what I understand this is a common requirement, so I guess Stan got fed up of telling users how to attach an earth wire to one of the four case screws :)

Tarzan
08-08-2012, 18:41
l too have an earth terminal on the back of my CD player, looking in the manual it states what it is, but not what to do with it- so er what do l do with it?

MartinT
08-08-2012, 18:54
That's down to you, Andy. I'm not about to describe routing an earth wire from mains earth to it as you shouldn't mess with these things if you don't know what you're doing. However, that's what I'd do ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
08-08-2012, 19:01
The mcru psu has a earth wire of some sort ... I use that ...

Tarzan
08-08-2012, 19:06
That's down to you, Andy. I'm not about to describe routing an earth wire from mains earth to it as you shouldn't mess with these things if you don't know what you're doing. However, that's what I'd do ;)

Thanks Martin, but what actually do l do with the earth/ earth cable, sorry to be a numpty, but l am a novice when it comes to such matters:doh:

icehockeyboy
08-08-2012, 21:52
Not being funny to Dave at MCRU, but don't you think the statement that the power supply with the Bushmaster injecting noise into the system, and ruining the sound is a bit OTT?

I have a standard PSU as the loan MCRU one did not offer any improvement to my ears over the supplied one, and would state it does not "ruin the sound" as Dave states in his sales blurb.

Sorry Dave, and thanks for the loan of your PSU, but I strongly disagree with your comment!

Anyone else more than happy with the supplied PSU?

The Vinyl Adventure
08-08-2012, 22:55
My mcru psu is a drastic improvement equal almost to the level of improvement the dac made ... In my system.

StanleyB
09-08-2012, 09:19
Stan - do you want to comment on why you implemented an earth post?
Some people needed an earth terminal on my other DACs so that mains hum could be neutralized in some wiring configurations. But the lack of a proper earth terminal made it quite tricky for people to add an earthing wire. The BM has the earth terminal as standard in case it is ever required.