PDA

View Full Version : Casette Deck Repair

Gazjam
07-08-2012, 13:25
Found a bin bag full of tapes in the cupboard, had a rummage and wow - some live recordings I'd forgotten I even had.
Lots of "mix-tapes" as well, great stuff. :)

Have a pretty decent tape deck, Sony TCK-611s which sits on my rack at the moment, but it has what i suspect is a fault with the motor, so is out of use other than to look good on my rack!
One of these:
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=BHQ&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=fflb&biw=1376&bih=775&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=MGt7-SOBI_5K7M:&imgrefurl=http://www.avforum.hu/index.php%3Fs%3D905d1fea5cf41d6012152d149d691132%2 6showtopic%3D2170%26hl%3D&docid=d-YcvHIvr963qM&imgurl=http://www.avforum.hu/uploads/post-7-1234084919.jpg&w=1776&h=485&ei=EhYhUNb7Nemq0AXq04HQCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=664&vpy=189&dur=1741&hovh=117&hovw=430&tx=212&ty=72&sig=102247383458197615138&page=1&tbnh=47&tbnw=171&start=0&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0,i:85

Be great to get these recordings off tape and digitised, but need to sort out my tape deck.
Be a bit of a major project I guess, but its a one off and it'd be a shame to lose these recordings.

Is tape deck repair economical in this day and age, I've no idea.
If I could get the Sony fixed it would be good, as ideally I'd like to get them digitised with best sound quality possible.

thanks. :)

DSJR
07-08-2012, 13:48
The 611S was a very good single capstan deck (didn't it have Dolby S on it? if so, it'll be VERY well toleranced on response and azimuth) and I feel if there's any way it can be fixed, I'd say to go for it.

Of course it won't be economic, as labour rates will exceed the current value of such a machine, but it's up to you as to whether you want to bin it and buy something else which may not be as good, or save landfill and get the Sony fixed.

Does the motor not run? I can't remember if the capstan was belt driven from a high speed motor or actually directly driven, as some were. have you done all the usual crap with head cleaning/degaussing and scrubbing the pressure roller to within an inch of its life?

Later single capstan decks from the later period suffered with what I call a "tearing" quality to woodwinds if recorded at the beginning of a tape (cheap mechs with too much take-up torque) and were only passable when brand new with pristine pressure rollers. The Sony was better I believe in this respect and easily as good or better than the cheap naks too I remember a mate telling me, who had/has a cassette deck collection of all types including several upper-caste Naks)

Sony may still have some spares for this unit, since it was popular. Well worth trying, but who to use to repair and set it up for you?????? Over to you sir!

Gazjam
07-08-2012, 13:51
Thanks Dave.

The deck RUNS but has serious speed stability problems.
I remember before it was retired it I spend a lot of time cleaning and demagnetising the heads etc in the hope it was possibly that, but it wasn't.

Its got Dolby S yeah.

*EDIT*
Managed to find the service manual online.

Motors

Capstain motor x 1 (DC Motor)
Reel Motor x 1 (DC Motor)
Assist (Mechanism drive) motor x 1 (DC Motor)

DSJR
07-08-2012, 13:56
The main reference machine for Dolby S was in fact the Nakamichi Dragon in final form I'm told - this machine was developed throughout it's life and last ones were subtly better than the first from around eleven years previously I think - certainly the meters improved.. Unlike the disastrous Dolby C, Dolby S called for VERY tight tolerances of frequency response, azimuth etc and these machines were far closer in performance to each other.

Take the top off the Sony and have a squint at the capstan and drive as a whole. I'll have a look on HiFi Engine and see if there's a service manual for it..

Gazjam
07-08-2012, 14:03
Cheers Dave for your time.

DSJR
07-08-2012, 14:04
Just downloaded the service manual and it seems the capstan is belt driven from the motor. With any luck a new belt will fix it and on the face of it, doesn't look too difficult to replace - by cassette deck standards anyway..

Gazjam
07-08-2012, 17:57
Now all I need is someone who can repair tapedecks in Glasgow area....

DSJR
07-08-2012, 21:18
Have you looked inside for slipping belts yet?

Gazjam
08-08-2012, 17:18
having a look tonight Dave..will keep you posted.

ta for your interest.

DSJR
08-08-2012, 17:44
It's the reason why I live on here these days before work starts. I'm a nosey twiddler :lol: