PDA

View Full Version : Cable question

Covenant
01-08-2012, 15:11
Can a telephone extension cable be used as an ethernet cable and if so, is there a suitable adaptor plug? I need to get an ethernet cable to where my Sky box is (as its to be replaced with something else) and routing the cable is going to be a bugger. :mental:

Stratmangler
01-08-2012, 15:17
Can a telephone extension cable be used as an ethernet cable

I'd be surprised if it worked.

guyhayton
01-08-2012, 15:42
Can a telephone extension cable be used as an ethernet cable and if so, is there a suitable adaptor plug? I need to get an ethernet cable to where my Sky box is (as its to be replaced with something else) and routing the cable is going to be a bugger. :mental:

Simple answer is no. If you are having problems routing the cable then the only alternative is to consider WIFI or one of the power distribution systems.

I have used a WIFI extender before to not only extend the range of my wifi (it was a big house) but also provide network points far away from where the internet comes into the building.

The power based ethernet I have little experience with - but have heard reasonable reports. Read more here:
Amazon UK (http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343835695&sr=8-1)

RMutt
01-08-2012, 15:57
I used the spare wires in the telephone cable Sky put in to the Sky box to extend my wireless router. From that I connected via ethernet to the Sky box in order to use Anytime+. For Anytime+ you still need a telephone connecton so the wires that were left remained the telephone connection to the Sky box. The single telephone extension, therefore, became telephone and ethenet. You just need to make sure the internal wires go to the right pins in the connector. So the short answer is yes I think you could make it work.

RMutt
01-08-2012, 16:03
P.S. It goes without saying that you have to chop into the cable and either use the ends of old connectors like I did or new connectors.

Covenant
01-08-2012, 16:28
I am planning to replace the Sky box with a Humax freeview box (free from Talktalk). This will require a broadband connection I believe. Don't fancy the powerline thingy as it will need to be a really good connection for HD stuff.
Looks like I will have to use the Sky telephone wire as a drawstring to pull through a Cat 5 cable. As Talktalk will charge £50 for installation should I leave it up to them?

Stratmangler
01-08-2012, 16:57
As Talktalk will charge £50 for installation should I leave it up to them?

I can't see that charge covering the cost of installing a LAN cable.

guyhayton
01-08-2012, 18:36
It really is better if you can go the Cat5 route. Obviously, I don't know the actual problems you face (that is, distance, layout, solid floors etc?) but don't forget there is such a thing as flat cat5 cable.

Amazon 10m flat cat5 cable (http://www.amazon.co.uk/FLAT-Cat5e-Ethernet-Patch-Cable/dp/B0017YXFHI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343845874&sr=8-1)

This has been a great solution for me in the past and I am currently using a length of this running alongside a carpet gripper strip to get a network connection to my NAS box. Ordinary CAT5 would cause a ridge in the carpet... not this stuff, your wouldn't know its there at all. At my parents house I laid two lengths of this down before my Dad and I laid down some hardwood flooring - again a great solution.

DaveK
01-08-2012, 19:32
Hi Jerry,
For what little extra it will cost in the overall price of doing the job, I'd be inclined to go this route: -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CABLE-PATCH-CAT7-LAN-NETWORK-STRIP-FLAT-10m-LENGTH-AWG27-RJ45-PLUG-WHITE-NEW-/190671529989?pt=UK_Computing_NetworkingCables_RL&hash=item2c64e8a805

Who knows what the future may hold in this area and you might as well be as prepared as you can be for ongoing developments. I practice what I preach ;) in that my house (bungalow with an accessible 4' 'cellar' ) is totally wired with a mixture of Cat 5e and Cat6 as when each bit was done that was the best available at that time. I've also got a selection of long masonary drills you can borrow as well :lol: .
Cheers,
Dave.

Covenant
01-08-2012, 19:55
And you say I am made of money Dave! The flat stuff looks good though, thanks for pointing it out chaps.
The problem is getting it down the gap between a chimney breast and the plasterboard on top of it which, I think, is fixed by dabs of adhesive. It took me a day to get the telephone wire in place.

Stratmangler
01-08-2012, 21:01
Hi Jerry,
For what little extra it will cost in the overall price of doing the job, I'd be inclined to go this route: -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CABLE-PATCH-CAT7-LAN-NETWORK-STRIP-FLAT-10m-LENGTH-AWG27-RJ45-PLUG-WHITE-NEW-/190671529989?pt=UK_Computing_NetworkingCables_RL&hash=item2c64e8a805

Who knows what the future may hold in this area and you might as well be as prepared as you can be for ongoing developments. I practice what I preach ;) in that my house (bungalow with an accessible 4' 'cellar' ) is totally wired with a mixture of Cat 5e and Cat6 as when each bit was done that was the best available at that time. I've also got a selection of long masonary drills you can borrow as well :lol: .
Cheers,
Dave.

Just goes to show that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing Dave.

Cat7 is the last thing on earth that Jerry needs to go near.
The screens all make the most wonderful radio aerial if they're not properly grounded, which they won't be in a domestic environment.

For what it's worth Cat5e is more than capable of carrying Gigabit LAN, and Cat6 is only necessary in "difficult" installations.
I've only once had to install Cat6 because Cat5e wouldn't support Gigabit data transmission, and I suspect that the railway line running along the back of the premises was the cause of the problem.

Covenant
01-08-2012, 21:20
Thanks for reminding me Chris, I was demented a while ago because of screening on a Cat cable causing interference on my headphone amp; going to unscreened sorted it.

DaveK
01-08-2012, 21:55
Just goes to show that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing Dave.

Cat7 is the last thing on earth that Jerry needs to go near.

Hi Chris,
So that's another subject to add to the long list of things I know just enough about to be dangerous :lol: .
Just out of interest, what application fuelled the demand for Cat 7? And is Cat 8 on it's way?
Cheers,
Dave.

Stratmangler
01-08-2012, 22:21
Hi Chris,
So that's another subject to add to the long list of things I know just enough about to be dangerous :lol: .
Just out of interest, what application fuelled the demand for Cat 7? And is Cat 8 on it's way?
Cheers,
Dave.

Cat7 development was driven by very hostile data transfer environments.
A good example could be a major retail outlet next door to a major broadcast transmitter.

The transmitter could cause major data dropouts in the retail outlet, which could result in serious accounting errors.

Cat7 cabling has a lot of screening, all of which is bonded to the main electrical earthing terminal.
It's bonded at both ends of the cable, and the effect is to make the cable effectively immune to RF ingress.
The building electrical outlets are bonded to the same earthing terminal.
All of the devices plugged into the network also have special connections through to the main earth.
Basically everything on the network - computers, network switches and routers - everything is tied to ground.

Covenant
08-09-2012, 17:14
I got the ethernet cable installed today. Not much fun climbing through the loft on a sunny day but it's in and it works. I connected the cable to my Panasonic bluray player and updated the firmware but access to the internet is very limited-You tube and something called Blue Motion.
So now I have to wait for TalkTalk to launch their YouView player and I can tell Sky to pop off.