PDA

View Full Version : FS: Edison 12 Valve power amp. Rare amp at a bargain price.

HighFidelityGuy
01-08-2012, 14:53
I bought this last year with the intention of refurbishing it but never got round to it. I don't have the room to store it any more and it seems a shame to leave it gathering dust. I don't know much about the amp other than what the seller put in their eBay listing which was as follows:

12w Class A valve power amplifier designed by Eric Anderson of Audio Innovations fame. (designed the series 500). Classic 80's minimalist styling driving 4 EL84 power tubes and 3 ECC88 (6922) drivers. Fantastic sound with excellent bass and airey, detailed mid & top. Need speakers of 89db and above. Produced in Kit form but also assembled in Brighton (UK) home to Audio Innovations and Audio Note UK. Checked and in full working order.

It comes with a full set of valves. Sovtek EL84 x4 and Sovtek 6922 x3.
I'll be honest and say that I don't know how good this amp sounds as I've never tried it. It should work fine but after having a look inside it does look like it needs a good clean and general check over to ensure reliable operation. So I would recommend that only people who are competent and prepared to do such things consider buying this to be on the safe side.

The amp is quite large due to being fully enclosed. It's basically a black metal box. No valves or transformers on show. I'll post some photo's and dimensions ASAP.

Just to ensure clarity: This is a power amp with one pair of inputs. It has no volume control. You'll need a preamp or passive attenuator between this and your sources. Or it should work well with Beresford Caiman or other such DAC with variable outputs.

I just want what I paid for it, which is £300. Collection is preferred from Sheffield. Shipping can be arranged at the buyers expense. :cool:

trane
01-08-2012, 19:15
Dave,
let me say some words about the amp in question. it's one of the greatest secrets of the good ol' era of the cherised British valve amp times. the most famous and well respected Hinchley O/P and mains transformers are mounted inside the amp along with the circuit that was the starting point for both the Audio Innovations S400 and the Audio Note Oto - though the end results differed markedly. also, these transformers are used in the AI S300 MK I and make the amp one of the best and most mjuuuzikal-sounding ones around the 1K mark (2nd hand price, I mean) even challenging the AN Oto pretty hard - which says something, doesn't it. however, back to the amp, it is a wonderful li'l baby, nevertheless a touch sensitive to tough loads (below 88dB/6 Ohms) - Puresound may confirm my words. the price, however, was and is a bit to-be-thought-over IMHO in spite the sonical merits...
as of me, however, I'd rather keep than sell the amp should I have already bought it

HighFidelityGuy
01-08-2012, 21:55
Thanks for the info Attila,

You're making me want to hang on to this but I really don't know where I'd put it. It's too big to replace my existing valve amp and when I get more room I really want to upgrade to mono blocks. So I just can't find a place for it right now. It's a shame but there's other parts of my system that I can more easily upgrade at the moment, so I've decided to free up some cash and concentrate on them.

I'm sure someone will get a lot of enjoyment out of this if they've got a bit of time to clean it up. I'll hopefully post some photo's tomorrow. :cool:

The Grand Wazoo
01-08-2012, 22:27
It was also available from Hi-Fi Answers (as the HFA12) I think. A pair of them sounded great bi-amped into SD1's.
Answers also sold a passive pre at the time called the Hot Pot!

Spectral Morn
01-08-2012, 22:56
I had the very great pleasure of talking to Eric Anderson once at a HiFi show and he told me how he originally wanted the Series 500 to look like the amp you are selling. He told me how he had fought Peter Q about it, citing concerns re reliability - the amp getting too hot - over the final case design choice that the Series 500 ended up with. In fact he was pleasantly surprised that my series 500 still worked (as it still does). He asked me if I used a fan beside it, I laughed and said no. It was a real pleasure and an honour chatting with him.

I recall well the great reviews HiFi answers gave this design as a complete unit and as a kit.

Great buy for someone, in my humble opinion.

Good luck with the sale :cool:

HighFidelityGuy
02-08-2012, 13:15
Thanks Chaps. :)

As promised, here are some photos:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/DTM2000/Hi-Fi/Edison12_01.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/DTM2000/Hi-Fi/Edison12_02.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/DTM2000/Hi-Fi/Edison12_03.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/DTM2000/Hi-Fi/Edison12_04.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/DTM2000/Hi-Fi/Edison12_05.jpg

As you can see, cosmetically it's very minimal and the casework is a little tatty. A couple of the lid screws are missing and a couple of the screw holes have stripped threads. Inside it's a bit dusty and the valve sockets would benefit from a squirt of DeoxIT. As would the rear sockets.

The last photo shows the very useful access hatch on the bottom of the case. This will make repairs and upgrades much easier.

Case dimensions are as follows:

445mm wide (485mm including front fascia)
270mm deep including rear sockets and front power switch.
162mm high including feet.

HighFidelityGuy
08-08-2012, 16:29
Bump

HighFidelityGuy
15-08-2012, 22:40
Price drop! Now £285 plus postage. Collection preferred.

Spectral Morn
15-08-2012, 22:46
Price drop! Now £285 plus postage. Collection preferred.

I can't believe this has not sold yet :doh: Buy on sound only, not your eyes.

synsei
15-08-2012, 22:56
I'd offer the Hafler and a cash sum for it but I think the idea is to make some room. I'd really like this though, it would be perfect for my setup... :doh:

friendly
22-08-2012, 18:05
Hi Dave,

Will you accept £275 inc postage?
Immediate bank transfer upon acceptance :)

All the best
Gwyn

HighFidelityGuy
22-08-2012, 19:49
Hi Gwyn,

Thanks for the offer. Seen as it will probably cost me around £25 to post the amp with an insured courier, I can't really go that low I'm afraid. How about £295 including postage? :)

friendly
22-08-2012, 22:12
Meet me in the middle at £285 inc postage and we have a deal. I will need to spend some time and money on it to give it Wife Acceptance.

Gwyn

HighFidelityGuy
22-08-2012, 22:26
Ok, you've got a deal. :)

I got your email, so I'll reply with payment details and we'll take it from there. :cool:

friendly
22-08-2012, 22:33
Thanks Dave, I will move to email now to complete payment. :)
Gwyn

friendly
23-08-2012, 09:23
Payment sent.