PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe?

Ashmore
29-07-2012, 21:46
A friend of mine has just bought a tripath amp, having had a loan of my mini T for a while.

But, being 'thrifty', he didn't buy a Mini T, he got this one sent from Hong Kong: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251101677538?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

He says it works fine but he reports the following "If I put an earthed cable near it, it sparks. If I hold an earthed cable and touch it, it gives me a small shock. Opened it up, nothing obviously wrong inside."

Is it safe to use?

hifi_dave
29-07-2012, 22:05
NO, NO, NO.

Get it in the bin...:eek:

Gazjam
29-07-2012, 22:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG5Qk-jB0D4&feature=related

MartinT
29-07-2012, 22:57
The problem will be with the PSU, not the amp. Bin it as unsafe and buy a proper CE certified PSU.

Sent from my TITAN X310e using Board Express

WOStantonCS100
29-07-2012, 23:11
Then again... ;) Every listening session with that setup could be positively electrifying!

Personally, I would not fool with it, whatsoever. Fix it or bin it.

Beobloke
30-07-2012, 08:07
No CE mark means it has not been safety tested. As Dave says - Bin, NOW!

MartinT
30-07-2012, 09:46
Yes, but to be absolutely clear: bin the POWER SUPPLY, not the amp.

jandl100
30-07-2012, 12:11
Is it safe? - :nono: see above.

But, being 'thrifty', he didn't buy a Mini T, he got this one sent from Hong Kong:

Yes, I tried the same sort of thrifty trick after I discovered the Mini-T and bought a cheaper Muse TA2020 amp for another application. Both use the same chip so they'll sound the same, right? Nope. Big mistake - the Mini-T is worth the extra in terms of sound quality!

Clive
30-07-2012, 12:17
Is it safe? - :nono: see above.

Yes, I tried the same sort of thrifty trick after I discovered the Mini-T and bought a cheaper Muse TA2020 amp for another application. Both use the same chip so they'll sound the same, right? Nope. Big mistake - the Mini-T is worth the extra in terms of sound quality!
Agreed, there are considerable differences mainly due to the output section, especially the inductor quality (bobbin type vs iron core). The 2.2uF input caps will have a footprint too.

Macca
30-07-2012, 12:18
Why do people buy these things? - other than that they are cheap - according to their own specs it will give all of 6 watts before THD reaches 2% - AT 12 watts it's 10%:eek: - you are going to hear that, no question. Absolutely useless as a hi-fi amp unless you have 95db+ senstitvity speakers that are also an easy load. :scratch:

dantheman91
30-07-2012, 14:34
Bin Bin Bin

:cool:

daytona600
30-07-2012, 17:03
About 70% of all fires and deaths on insurance claims domestic & industrial
are due to electrical faults
If in doubt leave well alone or get technician to check it out
products sold in europe need safety approvals CE ROHS LV directive
some companies just put stickers on products but never get them certfied
IF I DOUBT SWITCH OFF & UNPLUG FROM THE WALL

Nb side note what did you expect for £24 including free shipping from China
buy cheap buy twice you get what you pay for

today playing - Proem Sociallyinept

Patrick Dixon
30-07-2012, 18:21
It may be safe, it may not be.

It sounds like the psu output is not referenced to earth, and that one side of it is connected to the metal chassis of the amp, but that may not be a safety problem as it's probably quite low voltage (rather than mains).

It doesn't sound like it's particularly well designed though.

StanleyB
30-07-2012, 19:08
He says it works fine but he reports the following "If I put an earthed cable near it, it sparks. If I hold an earthed cable and touch it, it gives me a small shock. Opened it up, nothing obviously wrong inside."

If it sparks it would not pass a single CE/EMC/VDU regulation and would deemed to be a safety hazard. If it was subjected to a flash test ( a technical term for a particular kind of electrical safety test), it would very likely burst into flames.

Ashmore
30-07-2012, 20:24
Thanks all. This all pretty much echoes what I said. I'll convey our concerns!

Cheers

Simon

Mr Perceptive
30-07-2012, 21:03
I bought a quite heavy electrical item from Hong Kong, it arrived and had the following issues:-

1) Didn't work properly, it was a particular type of scanner
2) Wasn't CE marked
3) The mains cable had no fuse at the plug, just a moulded 3 pin connector.

I moaned at the eBay seller, who just refunded me, I offered to repack for him to arrange collection, but he wasn't interested. Shows how much margin these guys must be making, it was an £185 item. The European equivalent came from Germany and cost £600!!

walpurgis
30-07-2012, 21:20
Use a genuine CE marked mains adaptor and you'll be safe as the voltages etc. will not be any danger, but the unit may still prove to be dubious, but possibly upgradable.

StanleyB
31-07-2012, 06:59
Use a genuine CE marked mains adaptor and you'll be safe as the voltages etc. will not be any danger, but the unit may still prove to be dubious, but possibly upgradable.
The CE mark is not a guarantee by itself. Quite a few Chinese companies have been known to slap it on their product without even knowing what it is for!

walpurgis
31-07-2012, 09:17
Hi Stan, I did include the word "genuine". I think most of us are aware that there are dodgy 'pound shop' adaptors around.

anthonyTD
31-07-2012, 09:29
hi All,
To be honest, from experience of what i have seen coming in for repair over the years, i would recommend to anyone considering purchasing items from such places on the grounds that their cheap, always consider the safety aspects of the item first, and if you can find a similar unit supplied by a recognised outlet in the UK,go down that route, then you can be assured that it will have passed certain checks that warrant the use of the CE marking.:)

Anthony,TD...

Beobloke
31-07-2012, 11:51
The CE mark is not a guarantee by itself. Quite a few Chinese companies have been known to slap it on their product without even knowing what it is for!

Also, don't forget that many marks that one might think are a CE mark are the 'China Export' mark. More details here:

http://www.ybw.com/expert-advice/vhf/news/509220/warning-don-t-get-confused-between-the-ce-mark-and-the-china-export-mark