PDA

View Full Version : Solar garden lights

Covenant
28-07-2012, 15:08
Are they all crap? I bought some cheap ones just to see what they look like stuck on my back fence but will replace them if I find some decent ones.

prestonchipfryer
28-07-2012, 17:44
Are they all crap?

Do you mean the solar powered ones? If so then, in my experience, they are pretty much useless, seeming to fail quite readily after a few months.

jollyfix
28-07-2012, 18:05
i bought some cheap ones over 2yrs ago,still working fine. Whilst gardening today had a good look at them most full of water, and still work fine. We just use them for effect in the garden, not to light up a path .I say the word light up the path with a large grin..

DaveK
28-07-2012, 18:22
FWIW I bought some at 'Discount UK' at £1 apiece and they seem fine. Been working for a few weeks now. Also bought some multi-coloured solar butterfly lights (at my wife's insistence, honest :) ) some months ago and they are also still working fine - they cost all of £2 for a stick of 4 IIRC :) .

Covenant
28-07-2012, 18:28
[QUOTE=DaveK;348032]FWIW I bought some at 'Discount UK' at £1 apiece and they seem fine. Been working for a few weeks now.

Yea,that's the type I have bought Dave. You must be able to get better, more powerful ones I would have thought.

DaveK
28-07-2012, 19:01
FWIW I bought some at 'Discount UK' at £1 apiece and they seem fine. Been working for a few weeks now.

Yea,that's the type I have bought Dave. You must be able to get better, more powerful ones I would have thought.

Yep, quite possibly but what are you trying to do, add a bit of luminary decoration or floodlight the garden? ;)

Covenant
28-07-2012, 19:23
Ugh, I hate floodlights-next door have one. It looks like a prison.
Just some decorative lighting but a bit more than 1 watt.

jollyfix
28-07-2012, 22:32
I tend to group them. we have about 15 under one of the apple trees, all set at different heights. Set like this for me they give off enough light. The rest are scattered about the shrubs, again at different heights. There are solar powered fairy lights in the tree too. Fortunately there is no santa's grotto feel about the garden at night.

Covenant
29-07-2012, 18:14
I have gone and bought another one today! It's a bit bigger but has the same crappy 1 watt bulb. Will it be any better? :doh:

DaveK
29-07-2012, 18:43
I have gone and bought another one today! It's a bit bigger but has the same crappy 1 watt bulb. Will it be any better? :doh:

You throw your money about like a man with no arms, don't you ;). Try the earlier suggestion of grouping them in lots of 10 or 20 but make sure they don't keep you awake at nights 'cos the 'On/Off' switches take a bit of getting to :lol: .
Dave.

Puffin
29-07-2012, 18:48

Looks like a cow pat with a face on it to me?

Covenant
29-07-2012, 18:51
Your right Dave-I have now blown £5.99 on them, way too much for the light they give off.
Rob that's a stone face that I found many years ago. The wife wont throw it out 'cos she thinks it will bring bad luck.....